Leaderboard, me vs aqua, finished in my victory

All YCM and Leaderboard rules apply

First to 3 votes win

Prize: 1 rep from the loser to the winner

No written cards

No pop culture cards

Card A Card B system will not be used

Cards Due: 3/12/14, Voting Closes 3/19/14 (These deadlines are flexible, if you need more time, just let me know)

Requirements:

Make an ace [boss] monster that needs a photon deck to be used. As in you can't use it very well (if at all) outside of a photon deck. If your new card promotes an alternative style of photon deck that is fine.

Once I accept you, please PM me your card.

My card:

PhotonSaberAngel_zpseed90b33.jpg

You can discard "Photon"  monster(s) whose total Levels equal 8 or more, then Special Summon this card (from your hand or Graveyard). You can only use 1 of these effects of "Photon Saber Angel" per turn and only once that turn. * Target 1 card on the field; destroy that target This card cannot declare an attack the turn this effect is activated. *Discard 1 card, then banish 2 LIGHT monsters from your graveyard to target 1 spell card in your graveyard; add that target to your hand and if you do, the next time a card with the same name would be sent to your graveyard, banish it instead.

someone's aqua's card

2a5hlvP.jpg

2 Level 8 monsters
When a card effect that would destroy or banish this card is activated: You can banish 2 LIGHT monsters in your Graveyard; this card is unaffected by that effect. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target up to 2 Xyz monsters on the field; detach all Xyz Materials from those targets, then destroy a card(s) on the field, up to the number of the Xyz Materials detached by this effect. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect's activation. If this card does not have "Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon" as an Xyz Material, it loses 1000 ATK and cannot activate its effects.

Card A:

Kind of a Machina Fortress for Photons. Turns Galaxy-Eyes Dragons and Caesars into Reborns exclusively for this card, and the former can be searched by Galaxy Soldier and Wizard. I could see a Photon Deck being built around this card. The first effect is bland, while the second one is interesting, but it feels as an slippery slope since it lets you recycle power cards such as Dark Hole.

Card B:

Yet another Rank 8 Galaxy-Eyes Dragon, and it doesn't even have an effect that directly or exclusively supports Photons. Yes, it requires Galaxy-Eyes Dragon who is a "Photon" monster, but you could very well run a "Galaxy" Deck, which can drop Rank 8s with ease, instead of a "Photon" Deck where you would have to play more complicated combos to drop GEPD and another Level 8 and go for this. Then the effect is not something I would call balanced: not only it comes with a whooping 4000 ATK, but it also punishes the opponent for running Xyzs, and it can protect itself if you have enough LIGHTs in the grave; on top of that, you cannot respond to the destruction effect. Requiring GEPD as Xyz Material is barely a drawback when "Galaxy" Deck is all about dropping it as soon as possible and go Rank 8.

My vote goes for Card A for sticking closer to the requirement of the challenge. While Card A can be indirectly supported by the "Galaxy" monsters Soldier and Wizard, they would be more of an engine within a Photon Deck. On the other hand, Card B can be effectively used in a "Galaxy" Deck, and thus doesn't fulfill the requirement of "As in you can't use it very well (if at all) outside of a photon deck".

Card A: Photon version of Machina Fortress, can destroy a card on field in exchange for its attack that turn or a discard/banish to recycle a Spell (but gets banished later).

Card B: Can be summoned in any Deck that can run Level 8s (Photon/Galaxy/Gimmick Puppet); 3000 ATK is still a respectable amount for it if you didn't use Photon for it (though it's Vanilla), banishes LIGHT monsters to protect itself from effects, detaches Xyz Materials from other Xyz and destroys stuff.

Card A is getting the vote here due to sticking closer to the theme, but also in terms of balance. Card B, as Voltex mentioned, has 4000 ATK (3K if you didn't use Photon), punishes Xyz (which generally means most, if not all Decks nowadays); especially since Galaxy/Photons tend to get it out ASAP, can protect itself for a while assuming enough LIGHTs to banish and it's unchainable.

I vote Card A, Card B is too strong, Galaxy Deck can get 2 Level 8, including a GEPD, in any single turn and unchained destruction is unacceptable for a 4k beater that has so chet protection, for Card A, while I feel it's kinda weak to considering a "boss" monster, but it do have balance and Machina Fortress for Photon sounds not bad

Archived