The Pen & Sword Lounge

Ren✧

I dunno, I think Crab was better personally. Especially when shhe did a review of a review, boy did that cause mayhem. And by mayhem I mean lols. What is even a Koopa Troopa? Heh.

Where's C4 when you need him? Hell, not even Maxxion was as entertaining as he was.

Also, I believe it was "Parakoopa", which made it even funnier given that it's actually called a ParaTROOPA.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 page at least, I say, though I usually stretch it to 2 pages.

Well that makes me feel a bit better :P

I dunno, I think Crab was better personally. Especially when shhe did a review of a review, boy did that cause mayhem. And by mayhem I mean lols. What is even a Koopa Troopa? Heh.

Where's C4 when you need him? Hell, not even Maxxion was as entertaining as he was.

Also, I believe it was "Parakoopa", which made it even funnier given that it's actually called a ParaTROOPA.

I obviously missed this, lol. Although seeing a review of a review...I can just imagine the hilarity that came from that. Although it isn't like I have much room to talk, my reviewing skills are most likely subpar :P

I obviously missed this, lol. Although seeing a review of a review...I can just imagine the hilarity that came from that. Although it isn't like I have much room to talk, my reviewing skills are most likely subpar :P

There used to be a mod named Crab Helmet, but she got banned for hacking her way to Adminship and banning YCMaker (I hope that's right.) But before all that, she used to do a review of reviews called "Foe Fiction." The most famous one was one of a review made by a very inflammatory member named C4, whose lack of knowledge of basic Mario enemies became a meme that is still used even today.

I kinda miss Crab Helmet in a way, but that just might be my higher-authority complex.

There used to be a mod named Crab Helmet, but she got banned for hacking her way to Adminship and banning YCMaker (I hope that's right.) But before all that, she used to do a review of reviews called "Foe Fiction." The most famous one was one of a review made by a very inflammatory member named C4, whose lack of knowledge of basic Mario enemies became a meme that is still used even today.

I kinda miss Crab Helmet in a way, but that just might be my higher-authority complex.

I wish she was still around for "Foe Fic," the advice she gave was good and hilarious. 

On a different note, FusionxClair is finished and is currently pending for a beta-read. Hopefully it will be up by tomorrow.

Feels awesome, since my computer's been dead and without a charger for about a week. With a new one plugged in, I was finally able to finish what I started. Not even the pain in my fingers from picking up sod all day was enough to stop me. >:3

So we're talking about fanfic reviewing?

Anyone remember Fan-Fixtion Riffview? only me?

yeah, thought so.

I was a big fan of Crab though. He/She was hilarious.  In fact if I ever have time I might start reviewing again XD

Also, what consititutes as good writing can be summed up as a literary piece that has good grammar, follows the rules of good writing, and has consistensy, and is entertaining or captivating enough to keep readers interested

I guess

1. Do you prefer to write or to review? I prefer to write.

2. What genre do you like to write about? Always been fantasy-oriented.

3. What form of writing do you enjoy the most(Short story, novel, poem, etc)? I'm a novel writer.

4. Why do you write? Is there someone that inspired you to write? I pretty much grew up inside a library, and I always hoped one day I could find my books among some of the greats.

5. Any special title you would like to hold? Batman.

I think that is why I liked Narnia so much. The world was so interesting, but I thought the story was a little lack luster. 

Question for you all, how long do you think a prologue should be?

Read all the Narnia books, but a long, long time ago. Dunno if I'd feel as mesmerized by it now as I was then, but I'm currently rereading The Amber Spyglass which I last read about 8 years ago, and that's still as great as it was.

I'd say short and punchy, it needs to act as a hook.

It's so hard, at least for me, to decide on appropriate length for both chapters and prologues. I have seen the fics by Bahamut and Vector Nightmare who have chapters that can reach to around 20 pages, and then I have seen fics that have 5-10 page chapters. So far for the prologue I have just a few pages worth, but now that I am going back to edit it I feel like it is too short. The struggle...

The longest my chapters have been in Ice Queen are 18 pages on Word (and those chapters haven't been posted yet). Everything posted so far is 13-15. But why should the length of what I write dictate what you write? I look back when I finish a chapter and think "god how did this get so long?" but they do. I've only hit this "20" in big final chapters, not that I intend to.

It's only too short if it fails to meet the minimum in "Da Rulz", but I'm sure it's not THAT short.

Trust me when I say that you don't need to compare yourself with other people. Quality over quantity is best, and prologues and chapters need only be long enough to keep the plot moving. There is absolutely no need to faff around with fluffy language

This.

The insecurity is getting the better of me I guess. Can't help but feel somewhat inadequate after reading some of the works here, lol. 

Don't.

BTW, I guess I should answer this.

A Prologue should be just as long as it should be to fit well into your story.

Of course the recommended amount is roughly 1-2 pages.

But Id read a 10-page prologue if it was engaging and made sense once you read the rest of the story. Also if it actually WAS necessary for it to be that long, and it wasn't just drawn out.

So page count isn't wholly important.

1. Do you prefer to write or to review? I prefer to write.

2. What genre do you like to write about? Always been fantasy-oriented.

3. What form of writing do you enjoy the most(Short story, novel, poem, etc)? I'm a novel writer.

4. Why do you write? Is there someone that inspired you to write? I pretty much grew up inside a library, and I always hoped one day I could find my books among some of the greats.

5. Any special title you would like to hold? Batman.

Welcome!

===

So time for a rant! I was sitting in English this morning and my teacher picked up my short essay and began to use it as an example as to what you should do in a paper. Kinda embarrassing, but nothing that I'm not used to with this teacher. As she is going on, the kid behind me is constantly going "The paper is only good because HE(referring to me) wrote." "That was only a good use of diction because HE wrote it." etc, etc. So as we are about half way through the paper, I stand up, interrupting class, and ask him if he would like to put his paper up for scrutiny. I then assured him that I would be happen to critique it right then and there. 

It makes me so mad when people only care about reputation and not skill. It's not my fault my teacher likes me writing! 

Alright rant over

===

Have you guys read a short story known as Continuity of Parks? It's a really quick read so you should check it out if you haven't. it's originally in spanish, but there are translations all around the internet. It isn't any literary marvel, but it kind of made me step back and reevaluate things after reading the ending. 

I havent heard of that, but I might even try to look for it in its origianl language since I know spanish XD

And that is really cool, bro. Impressin the teacher, huh? XD I remember I had this teacher that used to dislike me. But then we had to write a play. I wrote about two kids ina  mcdonalds and whatever, and there was a guy who was gonna blow it up, etc

She LIKED it, and said she was VERY impressed, that I actually had written it xD

Has anyone here actually been to a Creative Writing class?

Not an English class, or essay class.

I was in one in 10th grade and it was one of THE best classes Ive ever taken.

Also my teacher looked like Jesus

XD

An introduction could really be as long as one paragraph, as long as it achieves its objective; as long as the reader wants to read more, it doesn't matter how it's written, or how long it is.

A wall of gibberish might be a lot more catchy than the lengthy final moments of a character writing his final words as the monster closes in, for example.

Exactly.

BTW I have an idea for an future project

Fly on the Wall

This is more of a challenge.

So, we each think of a thing, a place, and a situation.

Then we do some randomizer, and we have to send a person our thing, our place, and our situation

Different people.

And once everyone has a mixmatch of a thing, place, and situation

For example

Bank Robbers, New York, Mcdonalds meal

You must write a story with that......BUT

The catch is, you must ONLY show

not tell

as if the narrator was a fly on the wall, who could not tell anything, only display what was shown (or said of course)

This was an activity we did in my creative writing class.

I had to turn it in like 5 times, because I sucked at eliminating all my 'tells' XD

My state isn't exactly big on creative writing, and I don't think Creative Writing classes are a part of Australian school curriculum. I basically learned all I did by writing, observing much better works for structure and story, plus learning how to be a critic by watching some of the greats do it.

If I still had my passion like I did several years ago I would be spititng out fics left, right and center.

You guys are all reminding me of my English teachers. *thinks about Ms. Powers and drools slightly*

Don't look at me like that, every boy in that school did. In fact the teachers of my old school had a do at my work recently and I saw (amongst several others) she was still there.

And she was still smoking hot! :D

With the talk of fanfics in Sugar Cube Corner, I am reminded of a Harry Potter fanfic I read a long time ago called Oh God! Not Again. It's a hilarious what if story where Harry (now in his late 20s) goes through the veil in the Department of Secrets. He ends up back on the night he first met Hagrid with all memories intact. Hilarity ensues with a gratuitous amount of trope savviness

Archived