Miscellaneous Section Rules and Discussion

Aix

Ha, what rules?

In all seriousness, all YCM Rules apply, so still no flaming and etc., except for the rule against spamming. Feel free to spam however you want, but don't be a complete idiot and make a fool out of yourself.

The only rules in here are basically:

1. 1 topic PER HOUR
  2. Please respect the [Serious] tag.
  3. No "rep every post" or "rep almost every post" threads.
  4. Do not post the same copied post in more than three threads per hour. (Rewording of rule may be necessary; please don't try to "cleverly" work around it by changing a single letter and other such things.)

Basically here to prevent this place from turning into a massive spamhole.

Note that if this place goes to shit, it's getting shut down.

Post count is disabled in this forum.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Let's talk about AMA's.

YCM has been on this non-stop trend of AMA's.  It's become a very popular, often recurring part of Miscellaneous.  I'd like to take it a bit further and elevate AMA's because they're so healthy for this section.  How would you all feel about a "Member of the Moment"?

It would be totally selected at random and we could highlight a member for a short period of time.  We pin a thread, blow up their ego, and pester them to death.  I'm thinking of maybe creating a custom user group for that member while they're "Member of the Moment" and maybe getting one of our generous GFX members to make a nice logo and banner.  If possible, I'd like to turn this into a sort of interview process where via voice-chat (or text chat if preferred) I sit down with our member of the week and sort of get a hands-on experience.

In addition, if you have any comments or suggestions for Misc. at this time, please feel free to add them.

seems like a fine enough idea in concept, but honestly I see it going one of two ways:

1: It feels forced, and gets old quickly.

2: Nobody will give a sheet, since quite honestly I doubt most people here care about who is on the other side of the screen. It sounds awful, but it's the reality of the situation.

i-like-it-uther.jpg

I just worry it won't work in practice. It requires a lot of community input for the first half, and voice chat interviews have had iffy success over time. I'd love to see it succeed, tho.

Yeah it's true we did try something similar like this in the past.  I recall (I think it was Fusion) who did a video within the last year in a Spider-man costume where he took questions and it was fantastic.  I'd love to build off of that and give y'all something to look forward to.

We don't have to put it on a super tight schedule either, because it won't always work for everyone, but I would certainly want to give it a shot.

seems like a fine enough idea in concept, but honestly I see it going one of two ways:

1: It feels forced, and gets old quickly.

2: Nobody will give a sheet, since quite honestly I doubt most people here care about who is on the other side of the screen. It sounds awful, but it's the reality of the situation.

But you're right.  It's not something that everyone can or will be interested in.  Right now, it's mostly a pitch to gauge reactions and interest.  Let's see where it goes.

I think custom member group might be a bit much, especially since some might not want it, but other than that it seems fair.

Though AMAs could almost be their own section.

Also while you're at it, maybe unpin the Mod AMA and Marriage thread as they have been inactive for a loooong time.

I was thinking that in order to get the ball rolling, I could do the first AMA myself.  I'll go and sticky it then do a recording of me answering the questions.  Maybe I'll bring on my sister to help me out.  I'll make it no holds barred so anything can be asked, no matter how painful.  See if I can't incentivize y'all a lil bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Feel free to spam however you want, but don't be a complete idiot and make a fool out of yourself.

Effective January 1, 2018

Political posts will no longer be tolerated in Miscellaneous.  Post it in General, or post it in Debates.

Not every political post merits a debate. Some are just memes. Did you even think this through?

I'm not changing it.

Of course not. Doesn't answer the question if you even thought it through. Guess the next 10 days are gonna be fun

This is an absolute sheet PR job btw. I'd love for you to show us some stats on how many political MISC posts have been made. And of those, how many have resulted in problems. And how those two numbers compare to misc posts in general

Also I trust (lol) that the mod team will have firm guidelines on what "political" posts consist of

Perhaps it would be better to have "Debate topics" be not in Misc?

Partially to get more activity in Debates and partially to let those who don't want to deal with that stuff not stumble across it. (Because it can be frustrating to be chilling in Misc and suddenly arguments)

You mean a subsection for Debates that was devoted to a political climate but wasn't as serious?  It's not something I've considered (mostly because of the Administration thread and Minor News thread) but it could certainly work.  I haven't had any other proposals, but if this is what you're getting at, I'd like you to elaborate.

Well that's possible, if you can figure out if people would use it, to have some mid-ground. Because there are some political things that could spark debates but aren't actually...debates in of themselves. Like keeping track of elections and such. Granted it might be good to have that stuff in General and move it if it becomes a Debate but that does seem like a hassle.

Though another thought is that some Misc threads could be moved into Debates...kinda like what happened with Mod Count.

It's midnight I'm half rambling, fair warning.

Well my intention was have them either stay in Debates or be placed into General.  However, based off of "Meme Politics", it would probably be easier to dedicate a new rule or subsection to that climate.  Since there's plenty of material out there, it could certainly play out.

I'll draft some things in the morning and see how Debates reacts to it.

• 2 months later...

Archived