[Serious] Why not? AMA Sleepy

Sleepy

There's so many out there that I half expect this to slide to the second page by tomorrow.

I have been tempted to do this for a while though I've been hesitant up until the instant I decided I'd just throw myself at this and finally start a thread in this section.

I'm still conflicted between my embarrassment for making a thread to talk about me and IDK..... *shrugs*

At least for a little while. 

When did you start drawing? What inspired you to do so?

I've drawn since I have memory. There were notable points along the way though.

Pretty much every school movement (Elementary > Middle > High school) had someone telling me how much my skills sucked when I first entered them. Which somehow I'd always picture as the next stage of a video game telling me to try harder for some reason.

To make it short, I just enjoyed it and gradually became more fond of it.

[spoiler=Long-ish post]

I was shy and stupid back in elementary so I had pretty much no friends and a lot of people there had bully potential hidden in there. One day we had to make a comic as part of an assignment, and everyone, even the people that liked bothering me, seemed to like my very simplistic one about a fat frog looking for it's puddle.

After that I moved to drawing very bad paper yugioh cards back in middle school, must have made 2000+ of those (I can get pretty awkward). 

That's pretty much what over time taught me to make monster-like creatures...

During high school I got this series of realistic dreams that I got obsessed over because I kept looking at the same people in them that I'd always know inside the dream and would always forget as I woke up, and I had some freaky episodes like sliding from 5 stories high in my dream, only to wake up and discover I actually slammed my whole body into the bed feet and head, and somehow still had some of my blanket on.

So it took me that long to start trying to draw people, out of wanting to make a sort of diary of that in comic book form.

One thing lead to another and before I knew it I had moved to trying to draw something that was previously even intimidating for me to try.

It was all too rough though, it was until my last high school year I'd actually get an art class and learn more proper techniques. I actually managed to somehow win a couple prizes against other schools. Even though there were a couple of my friends in that same class that I always considered to have more skill.

I have a story behind getting my art class btw. I'd been asking for that every semester since I started studying under the US system and it was always rejected, and it annoyed me to hear from friends that they had that assigned to them and they didn't even like being there. During my 12th grade I had 4 empty slots of "optional" classes (out of 6) and was yet told again I would not get art class. That it was full and I didn't need it. Hearing that actually made me go cry on the bathroom afterwards. [/kinda embarrassing]

Lucky for me, an English substitute teacher I had that year saw my sketchbook and suggested I got into art class. I told him I couldn't even though I wanted, so he went to talk with the Art teacher. I ended up going at lunch to show the art teacher my sketchbook and she said she'd talk to the counselors, that she'd try to get me into the advanced class. Even after both teachers talked with the counselor, the counselor told me I could not take advanced without having taken beginners first, so I somehow ended up with both classes that year. Best class of my life. I'd even stay for a bit longer to work on projects at times.

[/spoiler]

So out of curiosity, what got you to re-watch Medabots?

I just randomly get nostalgia attacks like that often.

I just like doing that. I remember telling a friend once when we were talking about old anime of that time "I liked Medabots better than Bayblade" and he was like "blasphemy!". Phantom Renegade was so much my favorite character that I'd even make up scenarios of his adventures inside my dreams at some point.

[/inb4lame]

I watched Shaman King again a few years ago, though except the ending, which now that I know the manga ending, anime kinda sucks.... and I watch these in Spanish btw, since it's the dub I grew up with (and for Shaman King they actually just would dub the Japanese openings, which I liked better than the 4Kids one).

At some point I showed my older sister a little of Ultimate Muscle too, since she joked about a Cell Phone man or a Shoe Man, and I needed to prove her that her intentionally silly ideas actually appeared on TV.

Good times.

Ultimate Muscle was amazing.

Ever played any of the Medabot games? O,o

Nope. I missed out on a lot of game stuff when I was little.

My family ran an arcade (2 in fact), but other than those games, I didn't have much game-related stuff at home.

I remember one day my dad came with a SNES and a copy of Killer Instinct and told us it was new, though I found fishy how the box was already opened and looked pretty messed up, even though I was like 5 years old. Later did I find out he had that game adapted inside an arcade machine for years, which came with the system, and that he brought it up when he had decided to replace it.

Other than that I had nothing of anything until the Wii was a few years old. I did play a bit of Mario 64 at a cousin's house but between turns, getting accustomed to 3D, and the lack of time as visitors, we could never play too long.

Now, Medabots came to be when I was already a teen, so I don't have much of an excuse.... but yeah.... I didn't *shrugs*

My game list consists on SNES + old Arcade games (Street Fighter, King of Fighters, certain games with spaceships and planes, etc). Then I got into Pokemon way late when HGSS were at stores and got myself a green DSi.

So with regards to Madols, and ignoring their spamful nature...

What are your thoughts on Madols as a whole, as far as design/concept/etc goes?

If I were to describe them, it'd be "shaky".

Potentially they will get some of the most bullshit moves of spam and field clearance and beaters that go above what should be tolerant for the game.

Though at the same time they are too caught up in a specific key move that if countered will leave them as too much of a sitting duck.

-You start Normal Summoning that Mageliene, Hootcake, Mewfew, Angelly, which will start the chain of spam but if negated it's just gonna be underwhelming.

-You take away their face-up Spells and it breaks the whole chain, to a point where they won't even afford to give you Graveyard, hurting even more.

This makes me confused because Palooza seems like it'd be a continuing step in the Summon disrupt case, but I'm being told that I only need 1 copy. Or 1 copy of Chateau even though it seems MST and other themed removal are very prominent and quick to act. IDK....

The theme is a little too much of a risk factor. It is consistent but if messed up with, their inherent weakness feature hurts twice as hard.

Do you ever plan to finish your Graphic Design career? 

No not really.

Frankly speaking it's tedious work as is, and even more so when you are working out another person's standards and ideas, and even though there is work, said work needs an employee more devoted than I'd wish to, for a not-so-great pay.

I started out with that but I changed it for a reason. While there are people out there that'd enjoy it, I'm not one of those, and doing something I really not enjoy is not worth my life-time or the huge amounts of college tuition. As if I didn't feel scammed by the college as is.

why your name was Sleepy? Are you kinda like... inert and sleepy guy?

I don't usually make this correction around the forum, but since this is a thread about me I'll make this exception: I'm not a guy.

Now about my username.

Sleepy was my middle school nickname IRL. A classmate called Saul eventually nicknamed everyone in the class back in 8th grade (2003-2004).

Mine was because of my ability to sleep at whatever class I wanted. Particularly Science class had one of those tough teachers that sounds like he just came out of the military, and he'd always quickly react almost paranoid at any student anywhere in the classroom as soon as he/she did as much as dossing off. Meanwhile I was in the exact center of the room and it'd be safe to assume I spent a good 30 to 40% of the total class-time shamelessly asleep with my face inside my arms.

Also, some people that did not know this would usually tell me I have an eternally sleepy expression. Not tired, just sleepy...

I did not like my nickname back in the day, but over time it's grown on me to the point I use it all around the internet. Also, it was among the nicest nicknames that classmate ever called someone thinking back on it xD

Do you ever plan to become a professional artist, or are you just gonna be a psychologist for a living and work in drawings as a hobby instead? XP

Just as a hobby. I like drawing, but as much what people tell me to draw. I have made drawings for people and even the designs that sound fun make me procrastinate. Particularly when they accumulate. I hated how I drew a Yugioh mat for a friend at school once, and then the second one another friend asked me for I just started charging because I didn't feel like doing that as much. Then a bunch of people were telling me they are next, trying to force their blank mats on me, and I just told them I don't work well when I know I'd have a dozen more things to draw afterwards. One of them even insisted after that with "yeah, just you know, for when you are done with those, I want a ......" 

So I didn't really enjoy them as much as I thought.

The photos are different size, the mats aren't.

[spoiler=Yugioh Mat 1]

k3ur83.jpg

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Yugioh Mat 2]

2ap0ra.jpg

[/spoiler]

That second mat is really damn cute.

Thank you. That was the intention.

My friend gave me this list of about 100 characters from Pokemon and Yugioh that were "cute" for me to draw.

I ended up using like 57 of those and 2 of my pens died in the process (it's hard to draw on that material with a pen and water-color pencils).

WHY DID....sorry... why and how did you come up with the tag "ass"? you do relize thats pretty clever right?

Looks like someone noticed xD
I was gonna use that instead of "AMA" but then people would probably come here and post ass-related stuff, so I made it a little more discreet as a tag. =D

Have you ever liked make up, or has that never been a thing? XD

Also those mats are really awesome XD

Thanks xP

Color pencils are hard to apply on fabric like that compared to paper, haha.

Um no, I'm not really too much about make-up too be honest. If you expect a clown-like face with 1kg of make-up on, I don't know where you could find that xD

Though who doesn't use at least some once in a while?

Leave it to you to exaggerate XDD haha

So you DO use some...interesting...XP

Do you have any role models when it comes to art?

I have a lot of people I admire greatly, not famous people but people I follow on DA as well as a couple IRL friends. Back in 12th grade we were 3 friends at Art class that would often pass on the torch on who's best. We'd be like
"Oh you are awesome!" 

"No but your drawing's SICK!"

"No but that's the good stuff"

etc.

Good times....

I don't have a particular member where I pull inspiration from. Tons of people have skills I desire xD
One that comes to mind is this member from DeviantArt called Emperpep, with the most awesomest water-coloring I've seen:
http://emperpep.deviantart.com/

For the most part though, I don't really talk with anyone at DA. Nobody really knows me and that is partly (probably) because I am too impatient when I'm drawing these days and upload my stuff without it being finished. I'm working on a drawing right now that I've been holding back uploading for the last 12 hours because I want it to be a finished piece.. 

Archived