[Serious] Roxas' AMA

Phantom Roxas

who do you prefer as a ally:
maruxia?
~or~
xemnas?

Both are deceitful, but seeing as how Marluxia wanted to overthrow Xemnas, I'd rather work with Marluxia

You're not often around.  What are you up to?

I mainly post in the roleplay section now, particularly Merciful's Grand Crossover RP. However, I'm close to finishing what I hope will be the final semester at the community college I've been going to for the past three years, and then I'm going to a university in the fall. In terms of online stuff, though, I spend most of my time on Twitter.

What sections do you mod now that you are a regular mod again? Just curious since I knew you were a CC mod before your promotion, but I don't know where you are now.

I took over Movies & TV Shows in late 2012, so when I became a regular mod, I just continued mainly focusing on that, though I'm happy to help out wherever I can.

me too. do you think we can be freinds?

Sure.

What happened to Namine?
Do you still use Oathkeeper and Oblivion or just your standard Keyblade?

Depends on which universe we're talking about.

KH canon: She fused with Kairi, but she might come back in Kingdom Hearts III. Whether or not I use Oathkeeper and Oblivion will depend on what happens to Xion.

Roleplay canon on this site: She's dead, and Xion and I use one Omega Weapon each.

Real life: If I meet a cute Naminé cosplayer later this month, I'll let you know. As for what Keyblade I have, I use the Kingdom Heart.

Now that it's over, final overall opinion of the Superior Spider-Man saga?
And if you know, what do you think of the new stuff in store for Amazing Spidey (the comic)?

Ooh, boy, I was wondering when you'd ask about that.

I shall admit to having not personally read much of it, but I've followed summaries, and I believe that I can properly say that Superior Spider-Man is a load of crap. The book has no idea what it is, and it's very confused as a result of the attitudes of the writer, Dan Slott. The book wants to be a redemption story for Doctor Octopus, when he doesn't deserve it at all. He killed a good man because of his hatred towards him, and rather than honoring Peter's sacrifice as a lesson that he must be a better person, Otto decided to go out of his way to outshine Peter. His decision to be a hero isn't based on altruism or a sense of responsibility, but to show that he can be a better hero than Peter ever was.

The only purpose of Anna Maria Marconi is to give Otto a love interest that could serve as a tool for seeing Otto redeemed, but Otto cannot tell her who he is, as that would require revealing that he is the villain who attempted to cause global warming to kill as much as the populace as he can simply out of spite, and so that he would, by his own admission, be remembered as being worse than Hitler, so Anna is only falling in love with the wrong person. It isn't like the idea of Peter being in a relationship while not telling the woman he's dating that he's Spider-Man, because it isn't even Peter Parker that Anna is actually in a relationship with, she's in a relationship with a man who is being possessed by someone else entirely.

After talking with Dan Slott on Twitter and Comic Book Resources, and seeing his behavior in interviews, to the point that I can honestly say that he is a creator that I would consider a personal enemy, more than people who despise Michael Bay for his Transformers movies, I've learned that he is a hypocritical bully who sees his fans as nothing more than people who can provide money for him and validate his run on the series. If you agree with him, then you should be buying his book, and if you disagree with him, you should be publicly ridiculed, because you are a self-entitled coward who is butthurt that One More Day has yet to be undone, and you should get over yourself, because asking for Peter to actually be married somehow means that you want the franchise to end. If you point out legitimate plot holes, or disagree that he is making light of serious topics like rape, then you need to get your mind out of the gutter, in spite of the fact that part of the initial hype for the series was "Oh, you wanted Spider-Man and Mary Jane back together? Okay, here you go, BUT SPIDER-MAN ISN'T PETER PARKER, OH MY GOD!" while having Spider-Man forcing himself onto MJ as the cover for your issue. The book serves to tease people that something might happen, but if you think exactly what the book and its writer want you to think, then you are in the wrong.

It's a mean-spirited book that insults Peter and his fans on a regular basis while pretending to be a heroic tale of Doctor Octopus' quest for redemption, and it makes Peter into an utter buffoon to make us want Otto to stay as Spider-Man, with the only real justification for that being that he kills his enemies and plays Big Brother to Manhattan, which somehow suggests that he's supposed to be a better Spider-Man, when all it does is make him a parody of Batman. It was supposed to be a six-issue arc, but Slott wanted to drag it out as long as he could, and with editorial, he managed to stretch it out just until the new movie's release, which tells me that Slott is desperate to make the story mean anything, and considering how Spider-Verse was originally going to be about Otto until multiple writers and editors told him otherwise, with Darkest Hours being written just to fill in the space he had originally intended for them, I'm certain that Slott would have wanted Superior to be a permanent change. He may say he cares about the franchise, but all he accomplishes is turning every aspect of it into tools that he could use to show off how awesome Slott thinks Doctor Octopus is.

As for Amazing, I think the book is just going to be Slott attempting to make things up to pretend that he still has a story, which is why Learning to Crawl to exists. It's his attempt to justify his insane beliefs about the franchise by retconning Spider-Man's origin story so he could go "No, it was always like that, and Learning to Crawl proves that!" He made Black Cat more evil than Electro for reasons I don't even want to begin to comprehend. Spider-Verse might be interesting, but only because of the other Spider-Men, and at least we get to see Mayday.

In short, Dan Slott is a disgusting human being, and his run is his desperate attempt to prove that he is a better fan of Spider-Man than everyone, when in reality, it's a mockery of everything that came before it that only thinks it means anything. It is seriously difficult for me to think of a writer I hate more than Dan Slott. Anyone else I could think of is either incredibly incompetent or has moved on from the mindset that made their work so mean-spirited. Dan Slott actively tries to be spiteful, but is so utterly deluded that he thinks he's a hero to Spider-Man's "true" fans.

How hopeful are you for KH3?

Very. What we've seen so far of it looks good, but I'm curious as to how they'll handle Riku, Kairi, Terra, Aqua, Ventus, and Organization XIII. My only real hope right now is that they don't have Marvel or Star Wars. Save those for the next Saga, if they must be added.

What are your dreams for the future? :3

I would like to be a writer who makes a career out of making a series of fantasy novels. If there could be a way for me to be a voice, actor, I'd love to do that as well, but I'm not sure if I could manage both.

[spoiler=rant]

Ooh, boy, I was wondering when you'd ask about that.

I shall admit to having not personally read much of it, but I've followed summaries, and I believe that I can properly say that Superior Spider-Man is a load of crap. The book has no idea what it is, and it's very confused as a result of the attitudes of the writer, Dan Slott. The book wants to be a redemption story for Doctor Octopus, when he doesn't deserve it at all. He killed a good man because of his hatred towards him, and rather than honoring Peter's sacrifice as a lesson that he must be a better person, Otto decided to go out of his way to outshine Peter. His decision to be a hero isn't based on altruism or a sense of responsibility, but to show that he can be a better hero than Peter ever was.

The only purpose of Anna Maria Marconi is to give Otto a love interest that could serve as a tool for seeing Otto redeemed, but Otto cannot tell her who he is, as that would require revealing that he is the villain who attempted to cause global warming to kill as much as the populace as he can simply out of spite, and so that he would, by his own admission, be remembered as being worse than Hitler, so Anna is only falling in love with the wrong person. It isn't like the idea of Peter being in a relationship while not telling the woman he's dating that he's Spider-Man, because it isn't even Peter Parker that Anna is actually in a relationship with, she's in a relationship with a man who is being possessed by someone else entirely.

After talking with Dan Slott on Twitter and Comic Book Resources, and seeing his behavior in interviews, to the point that I can honestly say that he is a creator that I would consider a personal enemy, more than people who despise Michael Bay for his Transformers movies, I've learned that he is a hypocritical bully who sees his fans as nothing more than people who can provide money for him and validate his run on the series. If you agree with him, then you should be buying his book, and if you disagree with him, you should be publicly ridiculed, because you are a self-entitled coward who is butthurt that One More Day has yet to be undone, and you should get over yourself, because asking for Peter to actually be married somehow means that you want the franchise to end. If you point out legitimate plot holes, or disagree that he is making light of serious topics like rape, then you need to get your mind out of the gutter, in spite of the fact that part of the initial hype for the series was "Oh, you wanted Spider-Man and Mary Jane back together? Okay, here you go, BUT SPIDER-MAN ISN'T PETER PARKER, OH MY GOD!" while having Spider-Man forcing himself onto MJ as the cover for your issue. The book serves to tease people that something might happen, but if you think exactly what the book and its writer want you to think, then you are in the wrong.

It's a mean-spirited book that insults Peter and his fans on a regular basis while pretending to be a heroic tale of Doctor Octopus' quest for redemption, and it makes Peter into an utter buffoon to make us want Otto to stay as Spider-Man, with the only real justification for that being that he kills his enemies and plays Big Brother to Manhattan, which somehow suggests that he's supposed to be a better Spider-Man, when all it does is make him a parody of Batman. It was supposed to be a six-issue arc, but Slott wanted to drag it out as long as he could, and with editorial, he managed to stretch it out just until the new movie's release, which tells me that Slott is desperate to make the story mean anything, and considering how Spider-Verse was originally going to be about Otto until multiple writers and editors told him otherwise, with Darkest Hours being written just to fill in the space he had originally intended for them, I'm certain that Slott would have wanted Superior to be a permanent change. He may say he cares about the franchise, but all he accomplishes is turning every aspect of it into tools that he could use to show off how awesome Slott thinks Doctor Octopus is.

As for Amazing, I think the book is just going to be Slott attempting to make things up to pretend that he still has a story, which is why Learning to Crawl to exists. It's his attempt to justify his insane beliefs about the franchise by retconning Spider-Man's origin story so he could go "No, it was always like that, and Learning to Crawl proves that!" He made Black Cat more evil than Electro for reasons I don't even want to begin to comprehend. Spider-Verse might be interesting, but only because of the other Spider-Men, and at least we get to see Mayday.

In short, Dan Slott is a disgusting human being, and his run is his desperate attempt to prove that he is a better fan of Spider-Man than everyone, when in reality, it's a mockery of everything that came before it that only thinks it means anything. It is seriously difficult for me to think of a writer I hate more than Dan Slott. Anyone else I could think of is either incredibly incompetent or has moved on from the mindset that made their work so mean-spirited. Dan Slott actively tries to be spiteful, but is so utterly deluded that he thinks he's a hero to Spider-Man's "true" fans.

[/spoiler]

Damn, you really hate Slott .-.

I won't argue against your feelings about him since you've clearly made up your mind and admittedly I don't know much about the guy personally. I didn't know Spider Verse was supposed to be about Otto either, that would not have been right. Makes sense since Darkest Hours I felt was the weakest arc in the run. I'm betting Spock'll appear from an alternate reality in the event and that's fine, but he shouldn't be the focus.

About Superior though, I feel lie there's more to it that you're missing out on since you didn't read the issues directly. There were some points where it made Otto out to be "better" than Peter, but in the scheme of things, it's small stuff: using technology in different ways, the way he executes crime-fighting (like siccing the cops on muggers instead of interfering himself) and it's all basically just a different approach to handling things, not necessarily superior. When it came down to moments of taking responsibility, being there for loved ones, knowing which is the right decision, Peter proved to be superior in those aspects and during the last two issues of the run, you can tell that was always the intent. That in the end, Peter is the best Spider-Man.

Of course, that's just how I see it. I've seen people fall on both sides of the issue, so it's entirely possible your opinion wouldn't change even after reading. I just think it's easier to emphasize or at least appreciate Otto's role in the run when you see the smaller nuances and dialogues accompanying the story. 

If anything, if you look at issues in Avenging Spider-Man/Superior Spider-Man Team Up, you see different writers' takes on Otto and they arguably do a better job writing him than Slott since he's more grounded, thoughtful, and a little less theatrical than the way Slott writes him. I have a feeling you'd at least like their takes better.

But hey, at least it didn't last as long as the Clone Saga.

As for me, evil Black Cat and Learning to Crawl are things I'm neutral about and don't have any particular expectations, so I could fall either way on those.

I am psyched for Spider Verse though. I've always been interested in the different versions of Spidey and seeing them all come together is like an ultimate dream team in my mind. Hopefully it'll be rad.

On that note, there any other heroes you like?

Damn, you really hate Slott .-.

Yep! I'm going to be dancing forever when it's announced that he's leaving the book.

I won't argue against your feelings about him since you've clearly made up your mind and admittedly I don't know much about the guy personally.

You are very fortunate, then.

I didn't know Spider Verse was supposed to be about Otto either, that would not have been right.

That's actually why the story was moved to when it was.

Makes sense since Darkest Hours I felt was the weakest arc in the run.

Another problem there was Slott heavily hyping up Flash's death, then when it was announced that Agent Venom would be in Guardians of the Galaxy, Slott made to ridiculous suggestions as to what the situation there would be.

1) It might be someone else who is simply taking advantage of Agent Venom's good reputation.
2) The symbiote is "honoring" Flash.

His whole thing is about misleading people just so that they can't guess his twists, really for no reason other than he gets to be in a position where he could tell people "Hah! Bet you didn't see THAT coming!" Just another way he adores trolling the fans.

I'm betting Spock'll appear from an alternate reality in the event and that's fine, but he shouldn't be the focus.

Funny you should say that…

About Superior though, I feel lie there's more to it that you're missing out on since you didn't read the issues directly.

I'll admit that. I do think I neglected some things, but for the general ideas, such as it being a half-assed redemption story for someone who doesn't it, I'm comfortable with my opinion.

There were some points where it made Otto out to be "better" than Peter, but in the scheme of things, it's small stuff: using technology in different ways, the way he executes crime-fighting (like siccing the cops on muggers instead of interfering himself) and it's all basically just a different approach to handling things, not necessarily superior.

I know, and I don't get why people think it's better. I don't mean characters in the story, I mean that there are people who see how "badass" Otto is, and wish that he'd stay as Spider-Man, and that Peter should never come back. It baffles me that people like that think that they're still Spider-Man fans. By that point, they're just Spider-Man fans.

When it came down to moments of taking responsibility, being there for loved ones, knowing which is the right decision, Peter proved to be superior in those aspects and during the last two issues of the run, you can tell that was always the intent. That in the end, Peter is the best Spider-Man.

You're right, but that goes back to the "redemption" idea. Otto intends to be better than Peter, and in issue #2, Peter admits that Otto is, because apparently breaking up with Mary Jane makes Otto more "brave" than Peter for doing something Peter never could, even though it's just a contrived excuse to get Mary Jane away from Spider-Man. However, didn't Otto earn more of Jay's approval than Peter ever did, especially once Parker Industries was founded? I get that, in the end, we're supposed to realize that Peter is better than Otto, but it makes the whole series an overly drawn out lesson that didn't need to be taught.

Of course, that's just how I see it. I've seen people fall on both sides of the issue, so it's entirely possible your opinion wouldn't change even after reading. I just think it's easier to emphasize or at least appreciate Otto's role in the run when you see the smaller nuances and dialogues accompanying the story.

See, I prefer Robert MacQuarrie's takes on the series.

If anything, if you look at issues in Avenging Spider-Man/Superior Spider-Man Team Up, you see different writers' takes on Otto and they arguably do a better job writing him than Slott since he's more grounded, thoughtful, and a little less theatrical than the way Slott writes him. I have a feeling you'd at least like their takes better.

I've heard that Yost did a better job with SpOck than Slott ever could, so I plan to read his run between those two books at some point.

But hey, at least it didn't last as long as the Clone Saga.

And yet, the wait for One More Day to get reversed has been at least twice as long as the Clone Saga's length.

As for me, evil Black Cat and Learning to Crawl are things I'm neutral about and don't have any particular expectations, so I could fall either way on those.

Neither do I, really, but I never thought that Black Cat would be more evil than Electro. I don't really understand the point of Learning to Crawl beyond trying to milk Peter's return for all it's worth, and maybe setting up something for Original Sin.

I am psyched for Spider Verse though. I've always been interested in the different versions of Spidey and seeing them all come together is like an ultimate dream team in my mind. Hopefully it'll be rad.

I read the FCBD preview yesterday. I'm curious as to what will happen. I'm mostly interested in seeing what happens with Mayday.

On that note, there any other heroes you like?

I love the Flash, specifically Wally West, but my absolute favorite hero would have to be Nightwing.

I love the Flash, specifically Wally West, but my absolute favorite hero would have to be Nightwing.

I've read some of New 52 Flash and liked him, but my only exposure to Wally was Justice League on CN. He was cool though.

And yeah, Dick Grayson's probably my favorite of the Bat family.

What do you think of changing Wally's race and what happened to Dick recently?

The Justice League and Teen Titans cemented my love for Wally, but I didn't realize until a few years ago that they were based on the same person.

I think changing Wally's race is a shallow attempt at diversity. I get it, we need more people of color as heroes, but why can't they just make new heroes, and not have to rely on the popularity of a character that people remember for being white to make people care about them? A good comparison I saw was that, if you want diversity, then you should make Miles Morales, not turn Peter Parker black.

As for Dick Grayson, I saw it coming. Most people were saying that, because Dan DiDio was trying to kill Dick during Infinite Crisis, Forever Evil story is his attempt to make up for that not happening. If his death is only temporary, that's fine, and I don't mind his identity being revealed all that much. I'm curious as to how his new book will turn out. Then again, I tend to see him being screwed over less than Wally or Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived