[Haru-Star] Journey to the West: "Atma" Archetype

Armoire

An archetype based off of the Novel Journey to the West.
Monsters are based off of Chinese creatures and the Spells/Traps are based off of the events of the Novel.

Feedback is appreciated.

[spoiler='Main Monster']wvMy42W.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can select 1 face-up "Atma" Union Monster you control and equip it to this card OR unequip 1 Union Monster equipped to this card and Special Summon it. Union Monsters in the Spell & Trap Card Zone cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. You can only control 1 "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang".[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler='Union Monsters']O9evm6a.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Atma" monster from your Graveyard to your hand, except "Atma of the Monkey King". Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 face-up "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang" you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster gains 500 ATK and cannot be destroyed or targeted by your opponent's card effects. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union Monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)[/spoiler]

ParubCl.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Atma" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Atma of the Boarman". Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 face-up "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang" you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster gains 300 ATK and once per turn, when an "Atma" card(s) is added to your hand: You can negate the effect of 1 face-up card on the field. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union Monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)[/spoiler]

XSWOKIu.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 face-up "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang" you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster gains 400 ATK and once per turn, when an "Atma" card(s) is added to your hand: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; shuffle that monster into the deck. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union Monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)[/spoiler]

M1O3mX1.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Atma" Spell/Trap Card from your hand. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 face-up "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang" you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster gains 400 ATK and when an "Atma" card(s) is added to your hand: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Atma" monster from your Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Atma of the Dragonkin" once per turn. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union Monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)[/spoiler]

TmixW9I.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']If you control a face-up "Atma" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only use this effect of "Atma of the Bull King" once per turn. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 face-up "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang" you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster gains 500 ATK. At the start of the damage step, when the equipped monster battles a monster with higher ATK: destroy that monster. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union Monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.) [/spoiler]

APuEmvm.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']You can banish 2 "Atma" monsters from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card (from your hand). Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 face-up "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang" you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster gains 1000 ATK and DEF. Once per turn, when an "Atma" card(s) is added to your hand: Banish 1 card on the field face-down. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union Monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)[/spoiler] [/spoiler]

[spoiler='Silver and Gold']1qcyqOn.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Atma" monster from your Graveyard to your hand. During your Main Phase, you can either: Target 1 monster in face-up monster your opponent controls with 2000 or less ATK; Take control of that target and equip this card to that monster OR Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster's effects are negated. You can only use this effect of "Silver Horn, the Possessing Atma" once per turn. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union Monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)[/spoiler]

foWJYgc.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']If you control a face-up "Atma" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If you control a face-up "Atma" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 of your banished "Atma" monsters to your hand. Once per turn, durine either player's turn, you can either: Target 1 monster your opponent controls in face-up Attack Position; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, the equipped monster's ATK becomes 0 and cannot change its battle position. (A monster can only be equipped with 1 Union Monster at a time. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead.)[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler='Extra Deck Related']PkuA11L.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. If you control a "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang", you can Special Summon this card (from your hand) in face-up Defense Position. You cannot Special Summon monsters except for "Atma" monsters. If this card is sent to the Graveyard as a Synchro Material Monster: You can target 1 of your banished "Atma" monsters; add that card to your hand.[/spoiler]

8053NFe.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']2 Level 4 "Atma" monsters
When this card is Xyz Summoned: You can add 1 "Atma" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. "Atma" monsters you control gain 200 ATK. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 "Atma" monster you control; it is unaffected by your opponent's card effects until the End Phase.
[/spoiler]

u4lGpVA.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner "Atma" monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned: Return all of your banished "Atma" monsters to your Graveyard. Cannot be destroyed by card effects. This card gains 100 ATK for each "Atma" monster in your Graveyard and can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. You can only control 1 "Ashura, Devourer of the Atma".[/spoiler]

9l5yk3v.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']1 Tuner + "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang"
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can select 1 "Atma" Union Monster on the field or in the Graveyard and equip it to this card OR unequip 1 Union Monster equipped to this card and Special Summon it. Union Monsters in the Spell & Trap Card Zone cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. This card's name becomes "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang" while it is on the field. You can only control 1 "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang".
[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spells']KohgUPX.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']When an "Atma" Union Monster is equipped to "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang": You can banish 1 "Atma" monster in your Graveyard; add 1 "Atma" Union monster from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only activate this effect of "Gathering of the Atma" once per turn.[/spoiler]

dx4hN8y.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Add 1 "Atma" monster from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand, then destroy 1 "Atma" Union Monster you control. You can only activate 1 "Punishment of the Atma" per turn.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler='Traps']BaNEDRI.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']Activate only if you control a face-up "Atma" monster. Target 2 "Atma" monsters in your Graveyard; Special Summon both to your side of the field. When this Set card is sent to the Graveyard: add 1 "Atma" monster from your Graveyard to your hand.[/spoiler]

33kEFh6.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']When an "Atma" monster you control is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect) and sent to your Graveyard: You can send 2 "Atma" monsters from your Deck to the Graveyard.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler='Playing Style']The objective is to keep "Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang" or  "Sanzang, the Enlightened Atmaon the field, . 

Then, during either player's turn, you can alternate between Union Monsters whose effects either add an "Atma" card to the hand or activate when an "Atma" card is added to the hand Different effects give you different advantages. You can summon "Sanzang, the Enlightened Atma" to equip and resummon the "Atma" monsters in your Graveyard. You can also summon "Ashura, Devourer of Atma" for a simple powerhouse to get rid of enemy monsters. The deck is reliant on the Graveyard in order to efficiently recycle the Union Monsters.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Trivia']This is based on the Chinese novel, Journey to the West, published in the 16th century.
The term "Atma", derived from the word "Atman" means "Spirit", referring to the soul that will be reincarnated in Hinduism or Buddhism.

The monsters are listed in order as to who accompanies the protagonist of the story with his journey:

• Sun Wukong (The Monkey King)
  • Zhu Bajie (The Pig Man)
  • Sha Wujing (The Sand Ogre that lived in a river)
  • Yulong (third son of the Dragon King of the West Sea)

The "Atma of the Emperor" represents the Jade Emperor.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Creator's Notes']I hope you guys enjoyed it. Let me know the flaws of the archetype as a whole and whether certain cards are needed/uneeded and whether I should change some cards' effects or not.

Thanks for taking the time to read them.

Also might add something related to the Silver and Gold-Horned Kings.

If you haven't read the novel, there are tons of movies about it.
And Wikipedia sums it up pretty well.
It's a pretty cool story; killing demons and stuff.
10/10 would watch
[/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great archetype! I'm quite enthusiasmed with those cards, and I can't help but love the Journey to the West theme.

So let's review each card individually.

Vessel of the Atma is a great center piece of the deck. It's effect is compensated by the vulnerabilty to mass removal, such as Malevolent Cathastrophe or Fairy Wind.

Monkey King makes quite a dangerous lock along with Vessel, maybe a nerf would be required, for example leaving it at destruction immunity. The floater effect is also good if you are in a pinch.

Boarman is quite lackluster compared to the other Atmas. Its effect is difficult to trigger at the right time, but I guess it has its niche use in combination with Gathering and Punishment.

River Ogre its too punishing on its effect. I think it could work as well if it bounced monsters to hand instead of spinning them.

Dragonkin has that nice S/T searching effect and and absurdly broken "summon from deck effect". My advice: make it a revival effect. Still as good but doesn't break the deck.

Bull King makes the deck too fast with his self-special summoning effect. Also recurring summons from the graveyard is absurd and broken. I would substitue this with another floating effect. Its attack its too high for having those effects, so pull him down to 1800-1900. The equipped effect adresses a new problem in the deck and seems balanced.

Emperor its a nice boss for the deck. The banishing effect is powerful, but I guess acceptable.

Also, River Ogre, Dragonkin and Emperor badly need a "once per turn" clause to dodge some pesky loops.

Silver Horn it is too powerful, in any deck. I can just normal summon him and snatch my opponents ace monster for free. I would consider adding to him a normal summon restriction and making its target monsters with 2000 or LESS atk. The speed of self-special summonning is fairly ok.

Golden Horn is quite an interesting card for the deck. It gives a powerful turn 1 response and his speed lets you toolbox the Extra Deck.

Catalyst is great, thought I would restrict it to the Atma synchros. The recovering effect is a great incentive to synchro summon with this card.

Lingering Atma is nice. Its first effect makes him a +0 summon, and the card protection is a great bonus. It has however too much attack for a rank 4 (take into account his attack boost puts him at 2600!). I would nerf him to 2200 atk.

Ashura is also great, and recycling banished Atmas is certainly useful. I find Ashura has too much attack as well. Maybe nerfing the attack boost to 100 atk per Atma in grave will be enough.

Sanzang, the Enlighted is great as well. Nothing to comment on this card, but that it fits qite well the theme.

Gathering and Punishment are nice searchers that give consistency to the deck. The banishing cost in Gathering is good design as it prevents abusing and encourages the summon on Ashura in mid-game. Punishment is gimmicky, but lets you trigger effects when you need them.

Call of the Atma lets you make a miracle comeback in case of need, plus the destruction triggered effect punishes your opponent blind destruction.

Conflicting Atmas is great in doing the set-up, but from turn 3 and after it is largely useless. Keep it at is it thought.

And so I've finished. Great archetype overall. Hope to see changes soon ;)

Great archetype! I'm quite enthusiasmed with those cards, and I can't help but love the Journey to the West theme.

So let's review each card individually.

Vessel of the Atma is a great center piece of the deck. It's effect is compensated by the vulnerabilty to mass removal, such as Malevolent Cathastrophe or Fairy Wind.

Monkey King makes quite a dangerous lock along with Vessel, maybe a nerf would be required, for example leaving it at destruction immunity. The floater effect is also good if you are in a pinch.

Boarman is quite lackluster compared to the other Atmas. Its effect is difficult to trigger at the right time, but I guess it has its niche use in combination with Gathering and Punishment.

River Ogre its too punishing on its effect. I think it could work as well if it bounced monsters to hand instead of spinning them.

Dragonkin has that nice S/T searching effect and and absurdly broken "summon from deck effect". My advice: make it a revival effect. Still as good but doesn't break the deck.

Bull King makes the deck too fast with his self-special summoning effect. Also recurring summons from the graveyard is absurd and broken. I would substitue this with another floating effect. Its attack its too high for having those effects, so pull him down to 1800-1900. The equipped effect adresses a new problem in the deck and seems balanced.

Emperor its a nice boss for the deck. The banishing effect is powerful, but I guess acceptable.

Also, River Ogre, Dragonkin and Emperor badly need a "once per turn" clause to dodge some pesky loops.

Silver Horn it is too powerful, in any deck. I can just normal summon him and snatch my opponents ace monster for free. I would consider adding to him a normal summon restriction and making its target monsters with 2000 or LESS atk. The speed of self-special summonning is fairly ok.

Golden Horn is quite an interesting card for the deck. It gives a powerful turn 1 response and his speed lets you toolbox the Extra Deck.

Catalyst is great, thought I would restrict it to the Atma synchros. The recovering effect is a great incentive to synchro summon with this card.

Lingering Atma is nice. Its first effect makes him a +0 summon, and the card protection is a great bonus. It has however too much attack for a rank 4 (take into account his attack boost puts him at 2600!). I would nerf him to 2200 atk.

Ashura is also great, and recycling banished Atmas is certainly useful. I find Ashura has too much attack as well. Maybe nerfing the attack boost to 100 atk per Atma in grave will be enough.

Sanzang, the Enlighted is great as well. Nothing to comment on this card, but that it fits qite well the theme.

Gathering and Punishment are nice searchers that give consistency to the deck. The banishing cost in Gathering is good design as it prevents abusing and encourages the summon on Ashura in mid-game. Punishment is gimmicky, but lets you trigger effects when you need them.

Call of the Atma lets you make a miracle comeback in case of need, plus the destruction triggered effect punishes your opponent blind destruction.

Conflicting Atmas is great in doing the set-up, but from turn 3 and after it is largely useless. Keep it at is it thought.

And so I've finished. Great archetype overall. Hope to see changes soon ;)

I've been wanting a review like this one for quite some time. Thank you. I'm glad you like the theme and the archetype overall. 

I've taken your changes into consideration, and this is what I did:

• Vessel of the Atma, Sanzang's artwork was changed to something better looking.
  • I removed the targeting immunity of Monkey King and is only protected against effect destruction.
  • Boarman's effect has changed from effect negation to shuffling a card in the opponent's Graveyard to the Deck.
  • River Ogre now returns the card to the hand.
  • Dragonkin does not Special Summon from the Deck and Special Summons from the Graveyard instead.
  • You insisted that I add a "Once per turn clause," but it was already there. So I assumed you meant "You can only use this effect of "____" once per turn." which I added to River Ogre and Dragonkin, but not the Emperor.
  • I had trouble making Silver Horn and I took your suggestion and made it 2000 or less ATK. I also took away its Special Summoning effect.
  • Catalyst already restricts summons to Atma monsters, so I left her alone. I want her to be utilized for the Xyz Summon as well.
  • Lingering Atma's ATK was reduced to 2200. 
  • Ashura only gains 100 ATK per Atma now.
  • Although you told me to keep it as is, I added another option to Conflicting Atma, which is to shuffle two "Atma" monsters in the Graveyard to the Deck.

The changes you mention seem lovely, though most of them don't refleft on the cards yet. :)

The Boar effect you mention seems worthwhile, and is more fun that the s/t destruction you have put now.

Bull King need to be hit as well, as I mentioned last time.

Glad I was able to help ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived