YCM Freelance Club

True, that. Leading a RP takes more effort than joining one in my opinion. In the end, you'll never learn anything on both sides. I've started one now, but it's an original piece. Judging from what I see, canon RPs are more successful than original ones... Where's the creativity in that, huh?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, that. Leading a RP takes more effort than joining one in my opinion. In the end, you'll never learn anything on both sides. I've started one now, but it's an original piece. Judging from what I see, canon RPs are more successful than original ones... Where's the creativity in that, huh?

Well, an RP based off another series means fans of said series will at least have something familiar already that they do like. An original one, there's absolutely nothing anyone is familiar with beforehand, and would have to actually bother trying to get immersed in this new world instead of just building off a world they're relatively familiar with.

I would jump into a Persona RP(Which did happen, but then it died), but I wouldn't for an unfamiliar series. An original RP would be an unfamiliar series for everyone, pretty much.

Personally, I'm more into RPs that are somewhat based off of existing stuff, but trying something new doesn't sound too bad. That being said, I rarely RP at all.

It's not that I'm bad at it, but depending on how quickly it goes; I may end up falling behind. Then, there's the character design process for some of them.

I did try to plan out a YCM-based one, but since there's really nothing much that can be done in terms of using stuff here as material, it would be really short and possibly end prematurely. (Maybe kill spambots or something; since I'm pretty sure we all hate them. Or set it in the future part, where the ruins of the old days lie [this is the MyBB version for those of us who were here prior to summer 2010]. 

I guess why canon RPs are more successful is that people know how the franchise works, and all they have to do is build it up with whatever their plotline needs. (TBH, we did have a forum-wide custom RP for a month or so, but then it got shut down because of lack of activity; it was sci-fi or something)

It's tragic, eh? Original RPs used to be more successful than canon RPs when I first joined, it went downhill from there, but then again, who would know what would happen?

EDIT: Time to decide who takes the Vice President seat. Any nominees? You can't nominate yourself.

Sakura is correct.

Now, next topic is: Upcoming Projects. What do you guys have coming up, and do you need our cooperation to make it work?

I have two new RPs coming up: One canon and one remade original, with a completely reimagined plot line. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Aix, can you lock the RP in my sig please? We'll think of a remake together.

Alright, I have a really fun idea for an almost sandbox action-centric RP, and it allows you to be whatever the fuck you want, angels, demons, vampires, werewolves, aliens, mecha pilots, you name it. There's very high level technology in addition to magic. Think Space Dandy combined with Noblesse, combined with Ghost in the Shell, combined with Blood Lad and whatever else. I usually railroad my plots, but this time it's more open-ended, so it'll be a lot easier on me. Looking for a co-host or two or three, however, to handle the madness and be privy to plot details.

The setting is Neo Tartarus, also known as the City of Dark Desire or the City of Eternal Night as the city is almost shrouded in darkness due to the fact that it is almost always raining during the day. It is a massive metropolis rife with corruption and crime located on the planet of Edelheim, which is dead centre in the trade routes of the Galaxy. The Galaxy is huge and there are countless different races, hence you can be basically anything you want. The Galactic Federation, which controls the Galaxy, is banned from entering the city or intervening on its matters, and wisely stays away due to the intimidating presence of the city's infinitely mysterious and elusive mayor and founder, Amadeus von Renzont Alucard, an immortal vampire with almost limitless power. This makes the city a prime spot for criminals to hide out and many bounty hunters also live here. The law is also very loosely enforced. There's plenty of other details and backstory I gotta write up about this city. Anyway, basically imagine stuff like the pictures in this album: http://imgur.com/a/GvsEB

The entire city is governed by the City Council, headed by the intern mayor, a half-angel man by the name of Shen, while the city is controlled from the underground by the Mafia, currently lead by a werewolf named Raphael. The true leader of both is Alucard, but he hides himself away and only ever returns in the brink of time when the city is in a serious state of emergency.

Now that the background details are out of the way, let's have a look at the plot. You are somehow involved with the White Knights, a vigilante and terrorist organization out to cause mayhem and destroy the Mafia. You may be hired by the White Knights as a mercenary or whatever. The opportunity for characters who are against the White Knights will only open up if there is sufficient interest, otherwise, you must be somehow an ally of the White Knights. The true underlying goal of the White Knights is to draw Alucard out into the open for whatever reason only known by the Chairman, an old multi-trillionaire cyborg who funds the organization.

Along the way various random obstacles will pop up. Where the hell are these random dragons, archdevils, doomsday machines and etc. even coming from?

I suppose I'll copy-paste what I had in the RP planning thread. Looking for co-hosts. Basically a cyberpunk where you can have any kind of character and lots of freedom. Plenty of action involved in here.

I'll consider it once it's up and running, seems interesting thus far.

EDIT: On the other note, I am thinking of doing a canon RP first, but at the same time Yu Gi Oh seems to be a bit of a mainstream type and a bit overused, so I'm thinking of something else as inspiration, at least for now.

I would recommend doing a Pokemon RP, though it is still relatively overused as well (but not nearly as much as Yugioh)

That being said, there are some things that can be done.

Either you go on the Mystery Dungeon path (and you play as a Pokemon) or like the games, a human trainer with a team fighting for survival or something along those lines.

Yeah, he has that Ninja Force one going on (even if we do something different from what he has).

We could try doing a training journey on (much like how the games do it), but it'll get messed up a lot if some of us are at the 4th or 5th badge, whereas some people are only on second or something. Then, we have to design a Pokemon professor, the badges for region (along with a name), regional villains/plot and so on. 

Hmm, good so far. Looking forward to the plot draft. After that's done, I'll get the development underway.

EDIT: Do what you can with the RP, any drafts I can sort out in the meantime. With that out of the way, I can start reimagining my original RP

Archived