Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Card Contests Judge Exam (UPDATED 2/09/14)

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

krakonfour

krakonfour

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • 198 posts
    Last Visit May 12 2015 07:37 PM

Aix will edit this when he gets time.

I should ask him if he can update it on a weekly basis or something [or since Striker, myself and Saber mod this section; we can administer this test ourselves].

So Aix isn't the sole judge?

Oh well. I PM'd a review in hope of being allowed to make contests as a judge... 8 days ago...

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 39,202 posts
    Last Visit A minute ago
  • Discord:Sakura#2014
  • Spouse:Latias and Sapphy-chan

At the moment, Aix is the one you should be sending your stuff to.

Like I mentioned, I should ask if he can update this periodically or just have Saber/Striker/myself help in the judging; since we are in charge of this section effective 7/12/2014 (or 7/16/2014 for Striker). Or just send us a list of people who passed and we'll do it.

Card Directory and TCG Decks
Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Zootopia GIFs (I have too many of them in here -_-)
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Pokémon X / AS / Sun FC: 4098-4005-6931

(If you add my code, make sure you tell me so I can add you back)

Aix

Aix

Wolf & Spice & Everything Nice

• Topic Starter
  • Wise Wolf

• 5,710 posts
    Last Visit
  • Alias:Aix
  • Spouse:CowCow

So Aix isn't the sole judge?

Oh well. I PM'd a review in hope of being allowed to make contests as a judge... 8 days ago...

And I added you to the list... almost 8 days ago...

Currently in the process of making new cards for this. Will purposefully make badly designed cards this time. If anyone has ideas, PM me.

Should we refresh the list each time the test is remade?

Holosig_zps64f5cd08.jpg

Nathanael D. Striker

Nathanael D. Striker

Kingdom Hearts is Light!

• Leaderboard Chairman
  • 19,410 posts
    Last Visit Today, 01:56 AM
  • Discord:Striker#1560
  • Alias:Striker
Not really, though we should encourage those who passed the previous test to take the new one. Just don't want to have them renew it every month.

SkDC0v5.png

Excalibur the Divine

Excalibur the Divine

B̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ =)

• Advanced Members
  • 696 posts
    Last Visit Feb 20 2018 02:59 AM
Just refresh the list every 1 year or so so not too much hassle

Give this post a like if you find it helpful or you just liked it. :)
52550Darren2.jpg
By Armz

My Badge

My Excalibur

Nathanael D. Striker

Nathanael D. Striker

Kingdom Hearts is Light!

• Leaderboard Chairman
  • 19,410 posts
    Last Visit Today, 01:56 AM
  • Discord:Striker#1560
  • Alias:Striker

Just refresh the list every 1 year or so so not too much hassle

I say more like every TCG format seems better.

SkDC0v5.png

Aix

Aix

• Topic Starter
  • Wise Wolf

• 5,710 posts
    Last Visit
How about the test keeps you could for 6 weeks or something? Then I'll start recording the date each person passed and how many tests done. Doing a test adds another 6 weeks to your thing.

I got the cards for the new test thought out. Will post them when I get home in the afternoon.

Holosig_zps64f5cd08.jpg

Black

Black

Show must go on!

• Moderators

• 47,480 posts
    Last Visit
  • Alias:Black
  • Spouse:Melody & Birdie

This is interesting, but it doesn't feel right.

I mean, Koko or I need certification to judge a contest before we do, if we felt the need to do so. On the other hand, I don't feel Striker should be judging contests at all given his design track record.

For those who know what they're doing, the test, as-is, is pure tedium. And those who don't know can still get past it. It's really hard to keep those that don't know out, even like this, especially with the current cards.

The current cards, at the very least, are really, really simple. Not going to say why, but I see basically every problem with them without even trying. They don't really seem like adequate measures to judge by, though the first one is at least better to do so with. The latter is just f***ing blatant.

g4jwdpv.jpgE4Xtbeu.jpg

Both of these are contest cards. One of them won, the other lost because I stepped in and spelled out how it was a terrible choice to win and then people realized. Neither deserved a win in either of their contests.

If anything, I'd use old 1 v 1 cards as a comparison for this. Have the test be which deserves to come out on top of the other, then have them go on about what the design of the cards entails and why they should be the winner. Even if they say neither should win, in all honesty, that would just show that they know what they're talking about if they explain why neither should win.

Either do it 100% or not at all, I say.

You are an insane person and very creative.

Delibirb

Delibirb

Murr' Chi'mas

• Senior Members
  • 2,602 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 06:56 AM
  • Alias:Kano, Kanokarob

This is interesting, but it doesn't feel right.

I mean, Koko or I need certification to judge a contest before we do, if we felt the need to do so. On the other hand, I don't feel Striker should be judging contests at all given his design track record.

For those who know what they're doing, the test, as-is, is pure tedium. And those who don't know can still get past it. It's really hard to keep those that don't know out, even like this, especially with the current cards.

The current cards, at the very least, are really, really simple. Not going to say why, but I see basically every problem with them without even trying. They don't really seem like adequate measures to judge by, though the first one is at least better to do so with. The latter is just f***ing blatant.

g4jwdpv.jpgE4Xtbeu.jpg

Both of these are contest cards. One of them won, the other lost because I stepped in and spelled out how it was a terrible choice to win and then people realized. Neither deserved a win in either of their contests.

If anything, I'd use old 1 v 1 cards as a comparison for this. Have the test be which deserves to come out on top of the other, then have them go on about what the design of the cards entails and why they should be the winner. Even if they say neither should win, in all honesty, that would just show that they know what they're talking about if they explain why neither should win.

Either do it 100% or not at all, I say.

I like the using old 1 v 1 cards plan, personally. Gives the testers a better taste of the kind of the actual sorts of cards they'll be judging, as opposed to over-dramatic representations developed by one who is in truth a good card designer.

J-Max

J-Max

Madolche Enthusiast

• Madolche
  • 13,221 posts
    Last Visit May 15 2018 10:19 AM
  • Spouse:ur mom

I am against using existing cards to be honest. What is stopping someone from looking up the Topic that said card was in and making their own version of the Votes that was cast for it. Would encourage cheating. No, fresh is where its at. Equal ground for everyone.

Posted Image

Black

Black

Show must go on!

• Moderators

• 47,480 posts
    Last Visit

I am against using existing cards to be honest. What is stopping someone from looking up the Topic that said card was in and making their own version of the Votes that was cast for it. Would encourage cheating. No, fresh is where its at. Equal ground for everyone.

If they cheat, that's on them. They get punished for it.

The cards in the OP are terrible tests, and can't be worse than old contests. And you do know mods have the ability to hide threads, so they can then just hide that finished thread until the test is over, right?

J-Max

J-Max

Madolche Enthusiast

• Madolche
  • 13,221 posts
    Last Visit May 15 2018 10:19 AM
  • Spouse:ur mom

I never knew that.... I never had the ability to hide a Thread during my time so now I know. Fair enough, I retract my previous statement.

Posted Image

Aix

Aix

• Topic Starter
  • Wise Wolf

• 5,710 posts
    Last Visit

Yeah, I hid the Sunshine Sorceress one since it had legit reviews on it. The other... lol.

Holosig_zps64f5cd08.jpg

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 39,202 posts
    Last Visit A minute ago
  • Discord:Sakura#2014
  • Spouse:Latias and Sapphy-chan

I already dealt with the Shaddoll Wolf one (hid it so no one finds it for reference)

Guess I better go send in my review for this test now. (BTW Aix, I fixed the dates on it; we're in July now, you had them set in June)

Card Directory and TCG Decks
Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Zootopia GIFs (I have too many of them in here -_-)
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Pokémon X / AS / Sun FC: 4098-4005-6931

(If you add my code, make sure you tell me so I can add you back)

Generaxius

Generaxius

Potato Pizza Incoming!!!!

• Members
  • 109 posts
    Last Visit Oct 25 2014 11:29 PM

I don't get what is going on!! Can someone please explain to me :(.......

All about me (your about to see super duper spoilerceptions)

Trebuchet MS

Trebuchet MS

Living Ghost

• Face-Down Untapped Position
  • 4,918 posts
    Last Visit Feb 08 2018 06:33 PM
  • Alias:Gadjiltron

I don't get what is going on!! Can someone please explain to me :(.......

The Judge Exam is designed so that we have contest hosts and judges who know what they're doing and can give fair verdicts.

All you need to do is send a PM Aix detailing which of the two cards (displayed in the first post of this topic) is better-designed, and why. If you've done well, your name is added to the list of approved judges and you can host and judge in contests afterwards.

Every 6 weeks, to keep you sharp, new cards to judge are posted and you have to do it again to keep your cred.

MegaMan Battle Network series cards - Cards for Battle Network 1-6 present
Lunar Knights cards

I haven't really switched up my font to match my name. Let's correct that.

Contest Awards

Posted Image

Generaxius

Generaxius

Potato Pizza Incoming!!!!

• Members
  • 109 posts
    Last Visit Oct 25 2014 11:29 PM

Oh so that's why there are crazy things there like 6 week rule starts here. NIK, thank you Gadj, appreciated your instructions :D.

All about me (your about to see super duper spoilerceptions)

Aix

Aix

• Topic Starter
  • Wise Wolf

• 5,710 posts
    Last Visit
Troublesome cuz no one is passing, and I expect very few to pass.

Holosig_zps64f5cd08.jpg

Black

Black

Show must go on!

• Moderators

• 47,480 posts
    Last Visit

And so the main issue with RC comes to light.

I've addressed both of these cards individually before, and I've discussed at least one of them with others, but the issue is that YCM as a whole doesn't understand design.

I'm not saying shut contests down, but I think a tutorial is needed above all; A current one. Hopefully an interactive one made by the current mods and open to discussion. Consulting other members isn't a problem, and design does have a number of grey areas, so.

Delibirb

Delibirb

Murr' Chi'mas

• Senior Members
  • 2,602 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 06:56 AM
  • Alias:Kano, Kanokarob

Troublesome cuz no one is passing, and I expect very few to pass.

Wait, people aren't passing right now?

With the two cards that are there? Right now?

Sunshine Sorceress and Shaddoll Wolf?

o.O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users