Card Contests Judge Exam (UPDATED 2/09/14)

Aix

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about the test keeps you could for 6 weeks or something? Then I'll start recording the date each person passed and how many tests done. Doing a test adds another 6 weeks to your thing.

I got the cards for the new test thought out. Will post them when I get home in the afternoon.

This is interesting, but it doesn't feel right.

I mean, Koko or I need certification to judge a contest before we do, if we felt the need to do so. On the other hand, I don't feel Striker should be judging contests at all given his design track record.

For those who know what they're doing, the test, as-is, is pure tedium. And those who don't know can still get past it. It's really hard to keep those that don't know out, even like this, especially with the current cards.

The current cards, at the very least, are really, really simple. Not going to say why, but I see basically every problem with them without even trying. They don't really seem like adequate measures to judge by, though the first one is at least better to do so with. The latter is just f***ing blatant.

g4jwdpv.jpgE4Xtbeu.jpg

Both of these are contest cards. One of them won, the other lost because I stepped in and spelled out how it was a terrible choice to win and then people realized. Neither deserved a win in either of their contests.

If anything, I'd use old 1 v 1 cards as a comparison for this. Have the test be which deserves to come out on top of the other, then have them go on about what the design of the cards entails and why they should be the winner. Even if they say neither should win, in all honesty, that would just show that they know what they're talking about if they explain why neither should win.

Either do it 100% or not at all, I say.

This is interesting, but it doesn't feel right.

I mean, Koko or I need certification to judge a contest before we do, if we felt the need to do so. On the other hand, I don't feel Striker should be judging contests at all given his design track record.

For those who know what they're doing, the test, as-is, is pure tedium. And those who don't know can still get past it. It's really hard to keep those that don't know out, even like this, especially with the current cards.

The current cards, at the very least, are really, really simple. Not going to say why, but I see basically every problem with them without even trying. They don't really seem like adequate measures to judge by, though the first one is at least better to do so with. The latter is just f***ing blatant.

g4jwdpv.jpgE4Xtbeu.jpg

Both of these are contest cards. One of them won, the other lost because I stepped in and spelled out how it was a terrible choice to win and then people realized. Neither deserved a win in either of their contests.

If anything, I'd use old 1 v 1 cards as a comparison for this. Have the test be which deserves to come out on top of the other, then have them go on about what the design of the cards entails and why they should be the winner. Even if they say neither should win, in all honesty, that would just show that they know what they're talking about if they explain why neither should win.

Either do it 100% or not at all, I say.

I like the using old 1 v 1 cards plan, personally. Gives the testers a better taste of the kind of the actual sorts of cards they'll be judging, as opposed to over-dramatic representations developed by one who is in truth a good card designer.

I am against using existing cards to be honest. What is stopping someone from looking up the Topic that said card was in and making their own version of the Votes that was cast for it. Would encourage cheating. No, fresh is where its at. Equal ground for everyone.

I am against using existing cards to be honest. What is stopping someone from looking up the Topic that said card was in and making their own version of the Votes that was cast for it. Would encourage cheating. No, fresh is where its at. Equal ground for everyone.

If they cheat, that's on them. They get punished for it.

The cards in the OP are terrible tests, and can't be worse than old contests. And you do know mods have the ability to hide threads, so they can then just hide that finished thread until the test is over, right?

I don't get what is going on!! Can someone please explain to me :(.......

The Judge Exam is designed so that we have contest hosts and judges who know what they're doing and can give fair verdicts.

All you need to do is send a PM Aix detailing which of the two cards (displayed in the first post of this topic) is better-designed, and why. If you've done well, your name is added to the list of approved judges and you can host and judge in contests afterwards.

Every 6 weeks, to keep you sharp, new cards to judge are posted and you have to do it again to keep your cred.

And so the main issue with RC comes to light.

I've addressed both of these cards individually before, and I've discussed at least one of them with others, but the issue is that YCM as a whole doesn't understand design.

I'm not saying shut contests down, but I think a tutorial is needed above all; A current one. Hopefully an interactive one made by the current mods and open to discussion. Consulting other members isn't a problem, and design does have a number of grey areas, so.

First of all, it's a bit weird that both of those cards are made by high-level/respected (maybe not, I don't know the whole Striker thing) members, with Aqua especially known for winning basically all the 1v1 leaderboards.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure I was one of the people who voted against sunrise sorceress in said 1v1, so can that vote be my reasoning (I'm assuming whoever hid it can still see it) as I'll either try and remember what I said or write a similar post (unless my thoughts have changed dramatically).

As for Wolf, I also saw it when it was posted and vaguely remember the comments, but all that has to be said about judging it is:

Creativity-10

Related name to pic-5

Realistic Card-10

Grammar-5

Picture-9

=39

This card is great, no corrections except one. I know, shadoll pictures are hard to find because they have strings. Not like the Gimmick Puppet, they are different toys. But overall nice pic :).

I believe that's simply the amount of time you have left, prior to Aix changing the test around.

But it could be that he took the new test the same day; I can't be sure.

Mentioning Black's comment, a guide to passing this exam would be helpful. Striker, myself and Saber are planning one out in PM at the moment.

I should think that your priority is having people ACTUALLY understand the competitive part of the game, so they can understand why their cards are horrendous in design. Cause the number of people that do understand the game in RC can be counted on one hand. If you hand someone a cheat sheet to passing the exam, they won't bother learning the information necessary to do so.

That's why you should be reading the TCG forum at times; you'll get an idea about how competitive the game is (as Wikia does not cover such things). Also note that a lot of members don't play competitively, so that serves as a deterrent to passing this exam to some extent. Essentially, just know why something is OP/UP depending on the cards that were/are available at the time of their creation.

There isn't exactly a "cheat sheet" to passing the exam, however card B's effect can simply be referenced using existing Shaddolls at the time [not factoring in their new support in NECH].

As mentioned, we're working on a way of getting members to understand the competitive aspect of cards as well (or for the most part, why stuff is considered broken).

That's why you should be reading the TCG forum at times; you'll get an idea about how competitive the game is (as Wikia does not cover such things). Also note that a lot of members don't play competitively, so that serves as a deterrent to passing this exam to some extent. Essentially, just know why something is OP/UP depending on the cards that were/are available at the time of their creation.

There isn't exactly a "cheat sheet" to passing the exam, however card B's effect can simply be referenced using existing Shaddolls at the time [not factoring in their new support in NECH].

As mentioned, we're working on a way of getting members to understand the competitive aspect of cards as well (or for the most part, why stuff is considered broken).

And I believe this is not the place for it.

An exam is where your knowledge are tested, not where you learn things. This is to make sure that the judges are actually habe enough knowledge of the game to function well.

So yeah, I'm also against the idea of this. The Card Creation guide should be enough.

I believe that's simply the amount of time you have left, prior to Aix changing the test around.
But it could be that he took the new test the same day; I can't be sure.

Mentioning Black's comment, a guide to passing this exam would be helpful. Striker, myself and Saber are planning one out in PM at the moment.

I'm sorry, but having Striker design it isn't going to help. He designs terrible cards and has no idea what he's doing. He might be able to police the section, but he sure as hell cannot design.

First off, rating scales are s*** and don't adequately cover design. They're like the lazy way out.

Secondly, so is your rating. You failed with dying colors. Also you're supposed to do it in PM.

Don't worry, they were neither my rating scales or my rating; I copied them from the contest that Aqua won with the card (http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/317070-flip-contest-sharpretina24-please-lock/page-3), as I thought you were the one who said he shouldn't have won it (looking again, it was in fact Zanda Panda). The post was a joke, albeit not that funny or obvious, but clearly both cards have problems for them to be the exam to know if you're good enough to judge. However, I did like your "dying colors" pun. I was merely remarking how it was interesting that the person who gave that rating is fine to judge (perhaps he changed his mind).

I'm sorry if I offended, but I'll ask again whether my vote in the 1v1 involving Sunrise Sorceress count as evaluating the card?

Don't worry, they were neither my rating scales or my rating; I copied them from the contest that Aqua won with the card (http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/317070-flip-contest-sharpretina24-please-lock/page-3), as I thought you were the one who said he shouldn't have won it (looking again, it was in fact Zanda Panda). The post was a joke, albeit not that funny or obvious, but clearly both cards have problems for them to be the exam to know if you're good enough to judge. However, I did like your "dying colors" pun. I was merely remarking how it was interesting that the person who gave that rating is fine to judge (perhaps he changed his mind).

I'm sorry if I offended, but I'll ask again whether my vote in the 1v1 involving Sunrise Sorceress count as evaluating the card?

I did say it. I just said it in the RC thread, which I later reported for a mod to hide.

Archived