Card Contests Judge Exam (UPDATED 2/09/14)

Aix

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I'm now running this thread, I've changed how the system works slightly to make it simpler and more convenient for members and for myself. Basically, new cards are now posted every 6 weeks and then everyone must renew their judging eligibility by passing the new test. However, anyone who passes this exam 3 times will now become a "permanent judge" since they have proved themselves to be competent enough and don't need to be retested every 6 weeks. I am keeping a tally in the OP of how many times each member has passed the test next to their username in blue. 

Everyone who was listed as "6 weeks left" will now have to retake the test again in 4 weeks time when the new cards are posted, just to make the transition a bit more manageable, so apologies to those members. However, since some members were listed as having 2 weeks left from a date 2 weeks ago, I am treating them as expired and they will have to retake this exam with the current cards. The appropriate members will be PM'd to remind them. 

If anyone has any suggestions to the way this works, don't hesitate to drop me a PM. 

I have a question MODS and I am curious sbout this. What about those people who wants to judge and is completely acceptable for the job missed the first exam. Will this thread will be edited after finishing the third so that people who missed it can join again? Or is that they can't judge for a week or somethin' I guess? I am really lucky I catch this before the first finishes. I usually ignore this thing so I can't do anything with it until I realize it is useful o.0 (well, only for those Contest Fanatics ;))

You have 6 weeks to do the new exam before Saber edits the cards for the later test.

If you missed the first exam, then just do this one right now.

Oh, that's so obvious. I feel stupid for asking this kind of question, but well, thanks for the answer!

But I noticed that some MODS are not active nowadays. When I pass my judgement to Aix., it took 1-2 weeks to get a feedback, but I am unlucky, I do not recieve any! But then, I realize that Saber is now the exam holder. So I C-P my message I PMed to Aix to Saber but until then, I do not get any feedback. I feel lonely but that's okay for me. 6 weeks is like forever for me XD.

You have to appreciate that we mods have other lives outside of YCM and can't be online all the time. It also takes a long time to respond to these exam entries. I am also currently doing a week-long casual work placement from 9 to 5. I will have the time later tonight hopefully to reply to everyone.

Also, just to clarify, if you missed the first contest, enter this one then it will be updated in 6 weeks and then it will keep updating every 6 weeks so you will be able to enter any 3 exams and provided you pass 3 times you will be a permanent judge. There will not just be 3 exams in total, it will keep changing for as long as is necessary.

As another note, Saber, we should clear up something in regards to judges/hosts who didn't pass this test (particularly the ones who have contests designed before this test was instituted)

Aix's ruling on the matter says that they can stay; whereas the new one essentially means they need to pass it regardless of creation date.

I'd say they can probably stay, but you wouldn't be able to start a new contest if you haven't passed the new exam.

EDIT: The contest can stay without being locked, but the host/judges will have to pass the test again before actually judging the cards at the end of the contest. If they don't pass the test within, say, 2 weeks, then the contest will have to be aborted.

• 1 month later...

IMPORTANT: I have updated the thread and added new cards to be judged. All members who wish to judge contests (including ongoing ones) must now retake the exam, even if they have passed a previous one. The thread will next be updated on 14th October. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just an important memo for those of you wanting to apply for / renew your judging credentials.

Effective today, 10/4/2014, .Saber is no longer going to be running the Card Contest examinations; you may refer to the new announcement at the top of this forum explaining why this is so. Therefore, DO NOT send your exams to him.

We are discussing the matter in the mod forum as to whether or not Aix will take this over again [since he originally made this thread] or I will (I already passed exam three times already).

I personally feel this exam is still needed so you all know what you're doing when judging/hosting a contest. When the quality of the section improves enough, then we'll drop the examinations until they are needed again.

You know, to be quite honest, let's face it - This has done nothing but killed activity in this section. This charade about quality has gone on too long, just let people have fun creating cards and then correct them when they are wrong about balance instead of choking them and chasing them away before they even make a move. Having an exam just creates a really cold and clinical environment that makes us question if we're here to relax and have fun. There's no point of this if there's only a contest in here once in a blue moon.

Quality may be a problem, but it's become pretty evident now that this is not the way to address it.

Yeah, YCM is dying right now; there's no reason to further keep it like that using this exam.

It's served its purpose for now, so time to drop it.

The main concern that was addressed at the time of this exam's creation was mainly the quality of judging.

I linked some particular examples of contest hosts that failed to properly grade their entries; one of which chose a Fake-Type card with no indication over how it should be working over several RC-standard cards. I am certain that many members who enter these contests want to be sure their cards have been reviewed properly when final scores have come up; in essence, no repeats of these contests where winners are chosen because "card looks cool" and lacks any sort of logical reasoning.

That being said, either Zex or myself can intervene in a contest if the host is making bad calls (or the participants can do it themselves).

Or the mandatory requirements for scoring can be written into the section rules, if I didn't already add them in the past when the thread was made.

We already had some newbies leave YCM because our standards are on the higher end (though in that case, the fault laid on their end); in an ideal CC environment, we'd have some standards so things are critiqued properly, but also remain open so everyone can have fun.

(Whoever's passed the exam thus far has at least proven they know what the hell they're doing, and can be trusted to give a fair review when they next hold a contest; more or less.)

If things go bad, we can always reinstate it.

Or in another way, we can still retain the exam for those who want to get accreditation for their judging/hosting skills; just that I'm not forcing it down newbies' throats like the old system.

It'll still count towards permanent judge status (if we do implement such a policy again), but also shows that said members know what they're supposed to be doing.

Archived