Squamat, Nimble Humanoid Kraken ('Nimble' Xyz support)

thlch

Hey guys, 

I made a 'Nimble' Xyz monster which supports the 'Nimble' archetype. It's effect allows to clean the field. I thought the Nimbles were in need of some love, so I decided to make this card. It's effect combined with the effects of the other 'Nimble' monsters allows to Special Summon tons of monsters. I reworked the card (thanks to Mugendramon!) to make it less OP. Hope it is fine now. Edit ii.: The card now gains 300 ATK per Xyz Material, making it harder to be destroyed by battle. As suggested by Mugendramon, Squamat banishes the target now (to get rid of cards like Fire Hand). Edit iii.: The card now triggers it's last effect only when being destroyed. Because it is treated as a Level 2 monster, it may also be used for Xyz/Synchro summons. Please give feedback. Thanks!

Lore (edit iii.: reworked again; thanks to Mugendramon and Jsevillamol!):

----

2 or more Level 2 'Nimble' monsters
This face-up card gains 300 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it. This face-up card is also treated as a Level 2 Effect Monster. You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card to target 1 face-up card on the field; banish it. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: Choose 1 'Nimble' monster from your deck; you can either Special Summon it or send it to the Graveyard.
----

hLuktBw.jpg

Well I'll give you one thing, this is as overpowered as you imagined it. I don't know if you've ever actually played Nimbles before you made this card, but let me tell you, you would absolutely break them.

Ever heard of Lemuria? Congratulations! With that out, you effectively get 2 Rank 6 Xyz by milling a single Nimble Angler! This thing's effects cannot be negated in any way, and that is not acceptable design. You can't just make a card and go 'hey you know what let's slap a no-negating clause in it just in case'.

Banishing a card, any card, is pretty powerful for a card you can summon with a snap of your fingers like this one. And not only that, but you also get to basically Summon another two Nimbles because you feel like it. You can just make another of these with that! And that will banish another card, then let you summon 2 more Nimbles! A cheap loop like that is not good design either.

At least, have the decency to throw in a "The effect(s) of "Squamat Nimble Humanoid Kraken" can only be used once per turn." It's not nearly enough to balance it, but it's a start. Allowing 2 Nimbles to come out of the Deck every time you banish a card (meaning an immediate +3 just because), is something you should consider reworking -as it is it's hideously broken.

Well I'll give you one thing, this is as overpowered as you imagined it. I don't know if you've ever actually played Nimbles before you made this card, but let me tell you, you would absolutely break them.

Ever heard of Lemuria? Congratulations! With that out, you effectively get 2 Rank 6 Xyz by milling a single Nimble Angler! This thing's effects cannot be negated in any way, and that is not acceptable design. You can't just make a card and go 'hey you know what let's slap a no-negating clause in it just in case'.

Banishing a card, any card, is pretty powerful for a card you can summon with a snap of your fingers like this one. And not only that, but you also get to basically Summon another two Nimbles because you feel like it. You can just make another of these with that! And that will banish another card, then let you summon 2 more Nimbles! A cheap loop like that is not good design either.

At least, have the decency to throw in a "The effect(s) of "Squamat Nimble Humanoid Kraken" can only be used once per turn." It's not nearly enough to balance it, but it's a start. Allowing 2 Nimbles to come out of the Deck every time you banish a card (meaning an immediate +3 just because), is something you should consider reworking -as it is it's hideously broken.

Thanks for your review, it helps a lot! 

First, you're absolutely right, this card is OP and I'll change it to something more balanced soon.

I didn't even consider Lemuria when making Squamat and it's crazy how OP that combination would be  :huh:

Furthermore, I'll remove the non-negotiable Summon effect and add the clause of being only usable once per turn.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Thanks for your review, it helps a lot! 

First, you're absolutely right, this card is OP and I'll change it to something more balanced soon.

I didn't even consider Lemuria when making Squamat and it's crazy how OP that combination would be  :huh:

Furthermore, I'll remove the non-negotiable Summon effect and add the clause of being only usable once per turn.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Edited in the original post  :rolleyes:

Well, I like it a lot better now, but you threw in one restriction too many and now it feels sort of underwhelming. For a double detach like the current version, banishing is probably fine. Would be a nice out to pesky things like Midrash or Fire Hand while not being obtusely hard to negate, not to mention one-shot unless you dedicate 4 monsters to it.

Well, I like it a lot better now, but you threw in one restriction too many and now it feels sort of underwhelming. For a double detach like the current version, banishing is probably fine. Would be a nice out to pesky things like Midrash or Fire Hand while not being obtusely hard to negate, not to mention one-shot unless you dedicate 4 monsters to it.

Ok, I removed the 'once per turn' restriction and also re-added banishing to the effect; Squamat now also gains 300 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it so that it comes at 1800 ATK in most situations (1200 base), but profits better from using more than 2 Nimble monsters to Xyz Summon it which fits nicely to the overall strategy of the Archetype (imo). Would be maxed out at 2400 ATK which wouldn't be too crazy considering 4 materials were used, right? 

Thanks for your further feedback and help, I appreciate it  :rolleyes:

Seems fairly decent, though you may want to make it so its last effect only triggers when sent to graveyard to let the opponent deal with him though alternate removal. XYZ which provided an almost sure +1 effect are always hard to deal with.

And one honest question, why the "This face-up card is also treated as a Level 2 Effect Monster" clause? I can't think of any card which could benefit from this.

Seems fairly decent, though you may want to make it so its last effect only triggers when sent to graveyard to let the opponent deal with him though alternate removal. XYZ which provided an almost sure +1 effect are always hard to deal with.

And one honest question, why the "This face-up card is also treated as a Level 2 Effect Monster" clause? I can't think of any card which could benefit from this.

Thx for the feedback!

To reduce the last effect to ''When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard:...'' is a good idea, I am def going to change that. The idea behind the clause which states that 'Squamat' is also treated as a Lvl 2 Effect monster was to give the ability to use this card itself as a Xyz Material for another Summon, as 'Nimble' monsters are able to swarm very fast. I don't know if it's a good idea, but this card + 1 other Nimble monster could be used to Summon another 'Squamat' instantly after it's Summon, resulting in one Squamat with 4 Xyz Materials attached to it (so that it would be able to use it's banish effect twice  :P ). Could be OP though.

Archived