The Test of Time Contest #2 [Concluded]

Delibirb

I did a contest like this a while back, but it didnt get very many participants, so I'm going to go ahead and try it again. So, welcome comrades to...

~~THE TEST OF TIME CARD CONTEST~~

Card Requirement
Make a card whose effect has to do with the passing of turns. (Hint: think Final Countdown more than Wave-Motion Cannon.)

Rules:
1. Create a new card that was not made prior to this contest.
2. Only 1 card is permitted for each entrant.
3. Cards will be posted here upon their completion. I dont want any PMs...
4. Entrants will no longer be accepted after 7/7/2014, or after 8 entrants have applied, whichever comes first.
5. Cards are due to this thread the day following the closing to new entrants, or 7/8/2014 if less than 8 entrants.

Fees and Prizes:
Entry Fee: 30 point minimum.
~~~
1st Place: 50% of the Pot
2nd Place: 30% of the Pot
3rd Place: 20% of the Pot

Entrants:
~Renegade~
wightpower
Aqua Hina

Gadjiltron

MiniCrat

Electric Wizard

Kamishiro Ryoga

magemeek22

Does it have to be a card that reacts to passing turns, like those listed above, or are we also allowed to make cards that move turns forward (or for the ambitious card maker, backwards, even) like Pyro Clock of Destiny?

The card only has to do with passing turns. Cards that can adjust the turn count fall within that vague requirement, so something like Pyro Clock of Destiny is acceptable, though try to be a bit more creative than that :P

I'm in. Points incoming. 

Happily accepted.

I think I'll join this too.

Points sent.                                                                I don't have any better idea so I made something like this:

Molten Ring of Destructon

tX2bpbJ.jpg

Banish all monsters on the field. After 6 turns have passed (counting the turn you activate this card as the 1st turn) send this face-up card to the Graveyard then you lose 500 Life Points for each monster banished by this card effect. If this face-up card is destroyed by card effect: excavate top card of opponent Deck to the Graveyard then you lose 2000 Life Points.

I want to reserve the last spot!

EDIT: Okay, finally made the card (took a while to get it where it needed to be with balance and stuff, but I think it was well worth the time...get it? time? I really should take up comedy as a career)

Anywho,

[spoiler='My Submission w/ Explanation']

gvqG4hD.jpg

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field, then remove any number of Spell Counters from your side of the field; banish that target, and if you do, return it to the field after a number of End Phases passes equal to the number of Spell Counters removed. If this card is banished by its own effect: Banish 1 Spellcaster-type monster from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard, and if you do, when this card is returned to the field, Special Summon that removed from play monster.

Usefulness:

Obviously in a Spell Counter deck XD. No, but seriously, this would prove very useful if you had the Citadel of Endymion field spell active or Magican Exemplar or any Spell Counter collecter. Once you have 2 counters, you can pull some vicious counters. You can banish this card to hand-pick a Spellcaster from basically anywhere and Summon it (along with this card) during your next Standby Phase. Plus, now Spell Counters finally have a way to get over big Xyz monsters and things like that! Banishing will get rid of materials, so even if you only have one counter to remove, you'd still be able to accomplish much with a deck that, for the most part, is terribly inconsistent. This card should make it so Spell Counter decks have something to actually offer as a competitive deck (not tier 0 shit, but at least some tier somewhere).

Balancing:

It's a tuner...that can banish cards for a while...that can also Summon any Spellcaster you want. We get it. OP PLS NERF GG YUGEEO BROKEN. Honestly, you're probably wondering how I can sleep at night making a card like this. And I could probably list a bunch of cards that are even more broken or powerful or useful. But I won't. Instead, all I have to say is that Spell Counters are a pain in the @ss to collect and deal with, so if you do manage to be successful with this card, it's probably well-deserved to say the least.

Applications:

During your turn:

• Target 1 monster your opponent controls and remove 2 counters. It'll be inaccessible until 2 Standby Phases later - aka, your next turn.
  • Target 1 monster your opponent controls and remove 1 counter. This is a weaker move, but it banishes a monster until the End Phase, which sometimes is all you need (think Xyz's)
  • Target 1 monster you control and remove 2 counters. Now you basically get to preserve it for next turn :P Also, if you target this card, you can banish any Spellcaster you want from basically anywhere, and get an easy Synchro during your next turn.

During your opponent's turn:

• Target 1 monster your opponent controls and remove 1 counter. It'll be inaccessible this turn (phew...)
  • Target 1 monster you control (aka, this card) and remove 1 counter. Use this card's second effect, and next turn, you have field advantage plus a potential Synchro awaiting.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=My Entry]

LcwKGce.jpg
When this card is activated: Place 1 Timer Counter on all other face-up cards. At the start of each player's turn: Place 1 Timer Counter on all other face-up cards. During your End Phase, if a card has 3 or more Timer Counters on it; destroy it. During your Standby Phase, if this card has been in your Graveyard for 5 or more turns: You can activate this card directly from your Graveyard.

[/spoiler]

my entry card

[spoiler='Astral Sphere']z6hdaj4.jpg

Lore:

Negate effects of Effect Monster whose Level or Rank is equal or 1 higher than number of Turns Passed since this card is activated (counting the turn this card is activated as the 1st turn). You can banish 1 card from your Graveyard; Activate 1 of the following effect:
-Move this card's turn count forward by 1.
-Move this card's turn count backward by 1 (min 1).
[/spoiler]

mBZqGvA.jpg

[spoiler Lore]You can only control 1 face-up "Melting Time". Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can activate 1 of these effects.
*Target 1 monster your opponent controls; banish it at the start of the 3rd turn after you activate this effect.
*Banish 1 monster from your hand. (You can only banish 1 card at a time this way.) At the end of the 4th turn after you activate this effect, Special Summon that banished monster.
*Move the turn count of this card's effects forward by 1 turn.[/spoiler]

This card took a while to design properly.

When it comes to manipulating the flow of time, what better mechanic to take inspiration from than the Suspend mechanic from MtG? Those cards are ridiculously costly to cast normally, but at a reduced cost, you can banish them for a certain number of turns, after which they cast themselves for free. Several cards also exist to manipulate the time counters on suspended cards to hasten or delay their arrival.

Which is what inspired this card's second effect. You fling a monster into the near future - 4 turns to be exact - and then Special Summon it from banishment. This is a lingering effect, so even if the opponent gets rid of Melting Time the monster is still on its way. But why do it? Perhaps you're expecting a boardwipe in the near future and want that monster to come in safely after the boardwipe happens. Of course, there's no use flinging Nomis or Semi-Nomis this way, or any other monster with a no Special-Summon clause. To prevent confusion in tracking multiple monsters, you can only throw 1 monster into the future at a time.

But why not give another time-based offensive effect to this card? That's what the first effect is for - mark an opponent's creature for death, and in 3 turns it gets banished before they can do anything about it. Once again, lingering effect. Even if Melting Time is destroyed before the banishment happens the timer can't be stopped. But as with many other monsters like Zone Eater and Steel Scorpion, time-delay removal is easily played around. So, what do?

That's where the third effect comes into play, being a super Pyro Clock that can repeatedly forward this card's turn counts at instant speed, allowing you to manipulate when things fall into and arrive from the abyss of time. An earlier draft allowed this effect to forward every single possible card effect, but being at instant speed meant that you could repeatedly turbo Final Countdown and win in 5 turns or so. And we can't have that, can we?

Reminder to the other 5 entrants that your cards are due today.

To account for differing timezones, of course, I will wait until tomorrow, 7/3/2014, to make my final judgements on the cards. Any cards not submitted by that time will not be judged, and your points will be kept in the pot for the winners.

[spoiler=Potential Powerhouse]

a0zWXFv.jpg

Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.

● This card gains 800 ATK and DEF for each of your turns that this card was on the field as a Normal Monster.
[/spoiler]

I felt like Gemini monsters don't get enough love here on the card maker, and their necessary pause before getting effects gave me an idea for a simple stat-amplification effect for a monster. The longer you wait before Gemini Summoning it, the more powerful it will become. Of course, it's risky to keep on the field for too long, but hopefully it balances it, ensuring that you probably won't make it too powerful by its own effect. I suppose it could work really well in tandem with Heart of Clear Water, or something similar, immunizing it from destruction as a weakling before Gemini Summoning it later to make a beatstick.

Otherwise, I rushed the art a bit, so sorry if it's not up to standard. You might want to extend the deadline a bit longer for everyone else. I almost missed it this time.

[spoiler='Entry']
J04vkQB.jpg

Send 1 card you control or from your hand to the Graveyard; draw 1 card. During your Main Phase: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon monsters from your hand or Graveyard up to the number of Turns passed since this card is sent to the Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Soul Blessing" once per duel.

[/spoiler]

Note: by "Turns passed", it will count the End Phase of the turn it was sent to the Graveyard as Turn 1

Alright, here are the results, all spoiler'd up.

[spoiler='Molten Ring of Destruction']
Er, this was... interessant. So first of all its the most amazing monster nuke of all time, banishing every monster on the field with no cost. You'll be burnt quite a bit after 6 turns (Do duels last this long?) but that doesn't really matter because you can just destroy it before then. If you do, yeah, you take 2000 damage, but that hardly seems like a downside to be honest. And whats with the excavation of your opponent's deck? Finally, there are some minor OCG errors, but those coupled with the design just make this ineligible for the win.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Preserver of Endymion']
This card will not be graded. You did not follow the instructions of having the effect relate to the passing of turns/turn count, etc.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Ravages of Time']
This card is very interesting, essentially turning everything into a ticking time bomb. However, it is very powerful as is, in that simply by the start of your opponent's next turn, any cards they had on the field when this was activated are dead for no real cost. I do however like the re-activation effect, makes the card less worrisome to lose.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Astral Sphere']
There are some OCG errors here that make the first bit of the card a bit difficult to read, but I think I understand the goal. Also, Turns and Passed should not be capitalized. Anyway, on to the actual effect.
Its a neat sort of Majesty's Fiend in a much flimsier form, while still having that similar fear factor that if left unchecked, can seriously cripple just about everything. The banishment effects have a bit of an error, in that you're not changing the card's turn count, you're changing the actual turn count. Why you'd want to go backwards is beyond me, unless you have enough cards in your graveyard to keep banishing during your turn to let your effects work, then banish them again to increase them. Speaking of, it isnt OPT, so this can just be a Spell-form Majesty's Fiend right off the bat if you feel like banishing a lot of cards.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Melting Time"]
This is one of the more intriguing cards in the contest, in all honesty. It doesn't just have an agressive effect like many of the others, it also helps to give you some support on your side. There's nothing inherently wrong with this card, though an argument can be made that it can banish Necroface, which is at 2.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Potential Powerhouse']
Firstly, the card is unrealistic, as Gemini Tuners dont exist, or rather, are not expressed in this way. But I will still judge the effect.
Being a Gemini severely hurts this monster's usability, and more relative to its effect, its survivability. It needs to survive for 2 of your own turns in order to be anything relevant and so isn't really worth anything. Being FIRE and Thunder makes it a very hard to splash card, as in both FIRE and Thunder decks it will clash.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Soul Blessing']
OK, so first off, card is broken in current state because its draw effect isnt OPT. You probably intended it to work like Tenki, where you would do the send to grave > draw when it is activated and then its just a basically dead card on the field, but as is, this is not the case. This single handedly makes Exodia Tier 0. Seriously, this makes that Watchdog card an FTK.
THe revival effect is irrelevant because honestly you're just gonna draw Exodia and win.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Results']
In 3rd Place, earning 20% of the Pot, is Kamishiro Ryoga's Astral Sphere.

In 2nd Place, earning 30% of the Pot, is ~Renegade~'s Ravages of Time.

Finally, earning 50% of the original Pot, the 1st Place prize goes to Gadjiltron for his Melting Time.
[/spoiler]

Alright, here are the results, all spoiler'd up.
[spoiler='Soul Blessing']
OK, so first off, card is broken in current state because its draw effect isnt OPT. You probably intended it to work like Tenki, where you would do the send to grave > draw when it is activated and then its just a basically dead card on the field, but as is, this is not the case. This single handedly makes Exodia Tier 0. Seriously, this makes that Watchdog card an FTK.
THe revival effect is irrelevant because honestly you're just gonna draw Exodia and win.
[/spoiler]

I may ask about the judging, right? Did you really think the send 1 to draw 1 from this, literally -1, is broken? and you said the latter effect that was the main purpose of this card is irrevelant? Well I didn't said the other cards were bad and my card should won or anything, but I think my card was judged a bit weird,,.

I may ask about the judging, right? Did you really think the send 1 to draw 1 from this, literally -1, is broken? and you said the latter effect that was the main purpose of this card is irrevelant? Well I didn't said the other cards were bad and my card should won or anything, but I think my card was judged a bit weird,,.

For a very curious reason I was under the impression this card was continuous, which is why I compared it to Tenki.

However, your card still would not have placed, I just didnt bother going into detail on the second part of the effect when I thought the 1st part made it literally an FTK.

Archived