Glasslip

250px-Glasslip_Prmotional_Image.png

Tōko Fukami's family runs a glass-working business in a small seaside town. She hangs out with her four best friends at a cafe called "Kazemichi." During the summer break of their senior year in high school, they meet a transfer student named Kakeru Okikura, who claims that a voice from the future talks to him, and that it's led him to Tōko. His arrival sets off a series of events that will make their final summer together one full of hope and heartache.

This totally seems like a non-fantasy (or very little comparatively, I don't exactly know yet, synopsis shows the hint though... or should I say hint of supernaturalism...) version of Nagi no Asukara, lol. As far as the first episode is concerned. New guy comes in, he seems pretty much like Tsugumu, and Touko's a Manaka, at least.

SO relaxing at first man. What a spectacular way to start off the season. Did get a little hectic around the end with the chickens, but well. I can only think of Non Non Biyori for a pilot as relaxing as this, as far as I remember.

It's PA Works, it's Okada, I'm prepared for a wild ride, hopefully it'll be as good as Nagi because that was smile-protecting-tier goodness. While I wouldn't call Okada's works good outside of Nagi, they were all wild rides to an extent, so this better be too.

Kaylith released subs for this so I'll be getting to this once my laziness goes away.

... what exactly would you call her "works"?

I like AKB0048 First Stage, Anohana, Hourou Musuko, Sakurasou, Toradora, and Zetsuen no Tempest. These things vary whether they even have her do the script (or even if it's for all the episodes), the series composition, or both. 

Yeah, I can't all too well say I even liked Nagi by the end of it, and yet I am somehow liking how much this reminds me of it.

But wait... this isn't even hers, apparently. Wut. 

Stuff actually written by her. Stuff like Toradora wouldn't count since it's an LN adaption. Anohana, yes I would count. I wouldn't say Anohana was 'good', but I loved it. Same case with WIXOSS.

Holy shit what, I was sure Okada was working on this. Now I don't know if I should be hyped or not. Checked sources, I read wrong apparently...

Stuff actually written by her. Stuff like Toradora wouldn't count since it's an LN adaption. Anohana, yes I would count. I wouldn't say Anohana was 'good', but I loved it. 

Ah, yeah, that does make more sense, and I can't blame you for that. I just feel for the characters so much. T_T But well yeah. I see. 

Yeah, It seems so her right now, in terms of beginning too... damn I'm surprised, but the art is one of the things I'm more interested in when it comes to P.A. Works. A more SoL story is also one of them, considering how much I loved Tari Tari. 

Another thing, how nice was it to eat chicken hotpot when your daughter brought home a chicken? Fortunately, it is not the same one, but...

This was the weirdest thing I saw, too.

Also, wasn't this supposed to be based on glass art? Why is the first episode focused on chickens?

This was the weirdest thing I saw, too.

Also, wasn't this supposed to be based on glass art? Why is the first episode focused on chickens?

heh...

I'm still not totally sure how much focuses that will actually be given. I mean, as far as we know, it's just something her family runs a business about, and as far as I've known, that's all that's really been implied... I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It does seem to be a good reason as to why the show has it's name.

Saw the first two episodes.

Decent-ish opening song I suppose. The ED is definitely nice though, gotta love nano.RIPE.

Touko a cute, but so far Sachi a best. Dark, short hair with glasses, right in my strike zone. Yuri implications make me happy yet sad at the same time.

I like the atmosphere established in the two episodes. The town doesn't feel empty, yet at the same time it does.

Chickens...with epic names. I can deal with that.

Family antics in the dining room is legit nice, I hope we get more.

Really not sure about the 'see the future' gimmick going on in this. Then again I had the same feel with Nagi's gimmick of a sea world thing.

CONFESSION SCENE WITHIN TWO EPISODES. WOAH. HOW ALPHA IS THIS SHOW TRYING TO BE

All in all, so far Glasslip is...okay I suppose?

Episode 2 & 3 were a whole lot better.

First episode tried to show off too much with its animation by continuously offering awkwardly long stills of wildlife, and did weird and pretty dumb things in the writing department. 

However, in episode 2, they decided to make use of those awkward shots while characters were in thought, offering a wildly more useful sense of reflection. Relationship issues felt fairly familiar and common, but since they're using this as the jumping off point, that's perfectly fine, since it's where they go with it that matters. Overall this episode and episode 3 pretty much make the first episode look like utter trash, which is kinda true to an extent. As dangerous as the lives of chickens are, that whole part was neither interesting nor sensical.

I'm still undecided on the newguy character as he's yet to actually show any real character, but I find it strange how much the mc seems to have a crush on him already. I know the one girl called him hot, but is he like THAT good looking...? idk.

Most interesting thing that me and another friend have been trying to figure out is if the black-haired girl loves mc as a friend, or like, LOVES her. Friend leaning towards the latter. I'd prefer the other way, but only because I can tell this is going to turn into 3 folks going after the same person if that happens. As interesting as that sounds, it sounds equally as frustrating.

Also, glass shop is called Yataglass, or phonetically pronounced, Yatagarasu. And there's a crow on the sign. How clever.

• 3 weeks later...

DUDE GOT PUNCHED AND SLAPPED IN THE SAME EPISODE I AM BOTH ANGRY, IMPRESSED, AND SUPER HAPPY.

No, but I can't tell you how many times I've watched this type of show and just wanted some character to walk in, slap a bitch and explain what's up.

AND SOMEONE DID THAT. I'll drink to that.

Archived