Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

An In-Depth Guide to Lightsworns (TCG)

and I mean in-depth July 2014

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Zauls

Zauls

Better Call Zauls!

• Senior Members
  • 7,988 posts
    Last Visit Oct 25 2017 11:45 AM

So, since the other Lightsworn topic here is a year old and discusses how Lightsworns are only used as an engine, I think an update is seriously overdue. Lightsworns are now a very powerful deck on their own thanks to their new support and the July 2014 banlist also helped out a bit by bringing Goyo back and putting RotA to 2. I'm gonna cover all the competitively viable variants of Lightsworns with this guide.

So, since its a Lightsworn Deck, let's start with the Lightsworns.

Lightsworn Monsters

Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner

Raiden, Hand of the Lightsworn

Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress

Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden

Wulf, Lightsworn Beast

Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior

Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter

Ehren, Lightsworn Monk

Jain, Lightsworn Paladin

I won't go into the rest of them because these are the only ones that should be played at all. 

So, far, the deck looks like this

3x Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner

3x Raiden, Hand of the Lightsworn

1-2x Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress

1-2x Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden

1-2x Wulf, Lightsworn Beast

1x Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior

1x Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter

1x Ehren, Lightsworn Monk

1x Jain, Lightsworn Paladin

So, that's 13-16 slots of milling power and many a different Lightsworn. But a deck that just mills and does not much else is going to lose every game, so what's the point of it all then? Well, all these Lightsworns are in here to achieve the goal of meeting the requirements to summon powerful boss monsters, most notably Judgment Dragon.

Judgment Dragon

Now onto the various support cards for Lightsworn, and they are powerful ones indeed. 

Support Cards

Solar Recharge

Charge of the Light Brigade

Reinforcement of the Army

Monster Reincarnation

Foolish Burial

Needlebug Nest

Kuribandit

Card Trooper

Honest

So far we have a very pure Lightsworn deck, looking like this:

Monsters:

3x Judgment Dragon

1-2x Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress

1-2x Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden

1-2x Wulf, Lightsworn Beast

2x Kuribandit

0-1x Card Trooper

1x Honest

Spells:

3x Solar Recharge

1x Reinforcement of the Army

0-2x Monster Reincarnation

1x Charge of the Light Brigade

1x Foolish Burial

Traps:

0 or 3x Needlebug Nest

Those who can count have probably realized we haven't made it to 40 cards yet. If we play the high amount of everything we are playing, the deck will be 34 cards. So what do you fill out the rest of the deck with? Well Lightsworns don't like to play most of the staple Traps since they don't want to mill them, so they can be ruled out. Fortunately, there are some very good standalone cards that fit into Lightsworns really well. There are also cards you can add to make different variants of Lightsworns that will fill out the rest of the deck.

Standalone Support

Gorz the Emissary of Darkness

Tragoedia

Necro Gardna

Soul Charge

Breakthrough Skill

Black Dragon Collapserpent

Now you can fill out the rest of your pure Lightsworn deck with those cards and get a complete deck. Here is an example of a complete Main Deck for Puresworns. Tinker with it as you will, to suit your personal preferences.

Monsters: 25

3x Judgment Dragon

2x Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress

2x Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden

1x Wulf, Lightsworn Beast

2x Kuribandit

1x Card Trooper

1x Honest

1x Gorz the Emissary of Darkness

2x Tragoedia

Spells: 10

3x Solar Recharge

2x Reinforcement of the Army

2x Monster Reincarnation

1x Foolish Burial

1x Soul Charge

Traps: 5

3x Needlebug Nest

2x Breakthrough Skill

Now, Pure Lightsworns are all well and good, but the way the deck works opens them up to variants that may actually prove to be a better way to go. 

Dragonsworns/Lightsworn Rulers

This variant takes advantage of a card that can search Judgment Dragon, Eclipse Wyvern. It also takes advantage of the Dragon Rulers and their ability to work from the Graveyard.

Eclipse Wyvern

Now we need something to actually banish the Eclipse Wyvern so you can get JD to the hand. This is where the Dragon Rulers come in.

Dragon Rulers

Now, there is another less obvious card that can be included here that really helps out the build. That card is Lightray Diabolos.

Lightray Diabolos

Here is my own personal Dragonsworn build. Its really powerful and really consistent:

Monsters: 28

3x Judgment Dragon

2x Lightray Diabolos

1x Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos

1x Tidal, Dragon Ruler of Waterfalls

3x Eclipse Wyvern 

2x Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress

2x Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden

1x Wulf, Lightsworn Beast

2x Kuribandit

1x Honest

Spells: 9

3x Solar Recharge

2x Reinforcement of the Army

1x Monster Reincarnation

1x Foolish Burial

1x Soul Charge

Traps: 3

3x Needlebug Nest

Chaos Lightsworn/Twilight

There are a lot of DARK monsters that go well in a Lightsworn deck and since Lightsworns are LIGHT, that opens up possibilities to include boss monsters such as Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning and Chaos Sorcerer.

Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning

Chaos Sorcerer

Now, onto the DARKs that can be played in this variant. We've already gone through Gorz, Tragoedia and Kuribandit and there's really not much more other than Plaguespreader Zombie.

Plaguespreader Zombie

With Regards to the Extra Deck...

I've only covered the Main Deck so far, which is obviously nowhere near comprehensive enough. The Extra Deck is mostly self-explanatory and it changes slightly with each build, but the important thing is that we have a new Lightsworn monster introduced here.

Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn

Other than that, your Extra Deck is going to include Rank 3 and 4 Xyzs + Rank 7s if you're playing Dragons. Then it will include Level 6, 7 and 8 Synchros, plus Level 10 and 11 if you're playing Dragons. Here are a couple of Extra Decks for an example:

Dragonsworn Extra Deck:

1x Ghostrick Alucard

1x Mechquipped Angineer

1x Leviair the Sea Dragon

1x Lavalval Chain

1x Evilswarm Exciton Knight

1x Number 101: Silent Honor ARK

1x Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack

1x Number 11: Big Eye

1x Goyo Guardian

1x Black Rose Dragon

1x Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn

1x Stardust Dragon

1x Crimson Blader

1x Leo, Keeper of Sacred Trees

1x Star Eater

Pure Lightsworn Extra Deck:

1x Ghostrick Alucard

1x Mechquipped Angineer

1x Leviair the Sea Dragon

1x Lavalval Chain

1x Evilswarm Exciton Knight

1x Number 101: Silent Honor ARK

1x Abyss Dweller

1x Starliege Paladynamo

1x Goyo Guardian

1x Black Rose Dragon

2x Michael, the Arch-Lightsworn

1x Stardust Dragon

1x Crimson Blader

1x Scrap Dragon

Other options could include more generic Rank 4s and also Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand, but I always thought Felgrand was unnecessary in this deck because you're most likely going to win after dropping multiple JDs. 

Now onto the Side Deck

Since Lightsworn is such a powerful deck on its own, many people will side cards such as Black Horn of Heaven, Macro Cosmos, Dimensional Fissure, Skill Drain and Light-Imprisoning Mirror to stop your deck (among other decks). There are also a few matchups you should we worried about, such as Evilswarm, but your side deck is going to include a lot of anti-side cards. Evilswarm has fallen in popularity a lot because of Hands and the new going first rule, so you shouldn't be too worried about it any more. 

Here is an example of a typical Lightsworn Side Deck:

3x Skull Meister

3x Mystical Space Typhoon

3x Royal Decree

2x Soul Release

2x Breakthrough Skill

2x Xyz Encore

The MSTs and Decrees are anti-siding and are useful against matchups like Geargia and anything that can side the flood negation cards that you need to get rid of. Xyz Encore is for Evilswarm Ophion, who you need to get rid of. Evilswarms are a rare sight in competitive play now, but you need to be prepared for the worst. Breakthrough Skill is for Artifacts or decks that summon counters to JD, like Crimson Blader. Skull Meister is your Debunk. Meister is a monster that can be Soul Charged back, so its not bad if its milled. It also activated from hand whereas Debunk has to be set. The most likely time you're going to be using Meister is after you're JD nuke, so Debunk will be gone. Soul Release is for the mirror match and Dragon Rulers to get rid of their setup. Soul Release is a difficult card to side for as well, so be wary of it if you're playing this deck.

So why should I play Lightsworns then?

I've told you how to go about with your Lightsworn deck building, so why not talk about why? In my opinion Lightsworns will be one of the best decks going into this next format. Their new support and the banlist have helped them considerably and they are actually consistent now if you build your deck right. They also cannot be stopped by most main-decked cards and are extremely likely to win game 1. The floodgate cards are an issue, but you'll be fine against matchups like Bujin who can't side any of them. If you stop one of their early plays, it is likely that they have other plays and the first play was just to bait out a backrow to make room for the push for game. They out-speed every deck by a country mile, too, and are the only deck capable of winning on turn 2 of the game consistently. I win most games with it before my opponent has even had a chance to get off a power play.

If you're worried that you're not great at the game, then Lightsworns are a good choice because they are fairly easy to play and they push for the same common goal every game. They are also cheap if you're short of cash. Dracossack might set you back a bit, but the rest won't be any more than about £40 total, as long as you already have some of the basic Extra Deck and Side-Deck staples.

Admittedly, of the builds I talked about here, the only one you're going to want to play at a big tournament is Dragonsworn because its the most consistent and powerful by far. Its the only variant that can actually search JD and the Dragon Rulers are too powerful not to take advantage of.

The main problems with Lightsworns are the occasional brick hand and the floodgate cards, but this guide has gone over how to lessen that burden. In a major event, the amount of losses from brick hands will be fairly negligible, but if it happens at an important time (like game 3 of a match when you're on the bubble, say) then, well, it happens. All decks get bad hands anyway.

Phew, that took a while... I hope it helps people. Everyone is probably gonna suffer from severe tl;dr syndrome, but eh.

Edited by .Saber, 23 July 2014 - 05:15 AM.
Updated after extensive testing

1239lkp.jpg

Bahamut - Envoy of the End

Bahamut - Envoy of the End

Dream's End

• Senior Members
  • 5,395 posts
    Last Visit Jul 11 2014 09:13 AM

Well, rep for effort. Thaks man, this may help me when/if I get to building cheap Chaosworn Dragons deck :)

*Would like a new sig to go here please. Anyone want to do me one please PM me*

Thank you to Daemon, Tormented and Yin for all signiture artwork.

Previous Incarnations

My Fanfics - All comments appreciated

My most common thoughts here when on YCM

I Hate Snatch Steal

I Hate Snatch Steal

Elite Member

• Elite Members
  • 2,197 posts
    Last Visit Today, 12:46 AM

Stupid n00b question: Has anyone tried to make cyber dragon structure deck hybrid lightsworns? I have a feeling that I'd have heard about it already if yes, but on Monday I saw a Dragon Ruler synchro deck with all the rulers in it when I thought that rulers were dead and buried already via the banned list so maybe not?

I'm not afraid to have an unpopular opinion in debates. I just hope I can turn any posts about such an opinion into teaching moments for someone reading them.

Feel free to print out and use cards that I've made against your friends, and if you do, tell me how it went! Just don't claim that you made them.

Also, if you duel with your cards and have stories to share, then this thread is for you: http://forum.yugiohc...sharing-thread/

My fanfiction.net profile:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1525039/

Funny conversations and funny posts

how katio vs mizael should have ended

So, if Yuma forgives Vector for betrayal and evil intentions WAY more often then he should, then why isnn't he doing the same thing with Don 1000? /sarcasm

Zauls

Zauls

Better Call Zauls!

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 7,988 posts
    Last Visit Oct 25 2017 11:45 AM

Stupid n00b question: Has anyone tried to make cyber dragon structure deck hybrid lightsworns? I have a feeling that I'd have heard about it already if yes, but on Monday I saw a Dragon Ruler synchro deck with all the rulers in it when I thought that rulers were dead and buried already via the banned list so maybe not?

If somebody has tried to make a Lightsworn/CyDra combo, they are doing it wrong. Sure, Core likes to be in the Grave, but the deck can't really make that much use out of Cyber Dragon itself, so there's no point. 

Dragon Rulers + Mythic Dragons is still a pretty good competitive deck, but its completely different to Dragon Rulers of old. Its basically a Soul Charge.dek that has some other cool plays like Felgrand + Dracossack or Level 8 Synchro options.

1239lkp.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users