RP&D: Roleplay and Development

Astolfo

[size=1]Remade with Aix's consent[/size]

3PlD1Dt.png

RPampD_zpse18c593b.png

3PlD1Dt.png
[size=6]Welcome[/size]
3PlD1Dt.png
Welcome to the new Roleplay & Development, the remake of the old RP Group Host/Group Planning Club. Here is the place where we throw all our ideas together, brainstorm and combine our efforts to bring YCM the best Roleplays it has ever seen and ever will see. Everyone is welcome to join and to help, everyone's input and opinions will be considered and reconsidered as we chisel out RP Masterpieces, everyone can take a role, or help with multiple roles, whether to flesh out the plot, create NPCs, aid in worldbuilding, create banner/logos and possible other visuals for Roleplays or even simply take part in the Roleplays as Roleplays cannot get off the ground without people to join them.

While we are at it, as of now, we are also discussing stories and fics that would go in the Story Writing and Story Planning section, because of how similar Story Planning may be to RP Planning.
3PlD1Dt.png
[spoiler=Rules]We're all here to have fun, creativity may know no bounds, but there are still boundaries that we, as forum members, must respect. All of this should be obvious to you, so there shouldn't be any excuses for anyone who breaks a rule.
  • All YCM Rules apply and they can be found here: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/213935-the-rules-of-ycm/. You should have read them anyway when you joined this forum.
  • Do not flame, insult, belittle or otherwise be disrespectful to fellow members, even if you do not agree with what they are saying or their opinions. Everyone has the right to speak their mind here and display their creativity.
  • No trolling or spamming with the intent of filling this thread with useless posts.
  • I have the right to add and/or modify these rules and you must follow them.
  • Use common sense. This is perhaps the most important rule as it covers more or less everything above. You should know if what you are doing is wrong.
[/spoiler]3PlD1Dt.png
[spoiler=Applications]Here are the two formal applications to get stuff done around here.[spoiler="Membership Application"]Here's the simple application form to apply to this club. See my application (found in Member List) for an example.

(Insert Username Here)
Skype ID: (Skype makes it easy to communicate live-time quickly. If you do not have one, please make one.)
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: (Do you like Fantasy? Sci-Fi?)
Preferred Character Type: (What type of character do you play? The silent and reclusive? The happy-go-lucky?)
Skills: (Ways you can contribute and what you are good at. Don't worry if this list isn't very long, we always can fit you in.)[/spoiler][spoiler="RP Project Application"]This is for asking for help on an RP project.

(Name of RP)
Genre: (Fantasy? Sci-fi? Mafia?)
Plot: (So what's happening that makes it such a big deal worth having an RP about?)
Setting: (Where does this take place? Time period? What sort of level of technology?)
What you need help with: (What you actually need help with, what it would be best to leave it in the hands of other people to give suggestions and such. Do you need arcs? Worldbuilding?)[/spoiler][spoiler="Story Project App"]If you want advice on story-writing and stuff.

(Name of Story)
Genre/Themes:
Plot:
Setting:
What you need help with:[/spoiler][/spoiler]3PlD1Dt.png
[spoiler="Member List"]List of our members and their interests and abilities.
[spoiler=Aix]Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Fantasy and anything with good worldbuilding and a good plot.
Preferred Character Type: Usually characters with a certain degree of self-confidence or inner peace, or are otherwise seeking it.
Skills: I typically can shoot out plots rather easily.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Neph]Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Post-Apocalyptic, Fantasy, Survival, Suspense/Thriller-esque stuff, etc. I don't really like fandoms though, and tend to stick to originals, although some elements of my original RPs might've been based off of other things.
Preferred Character Type: I like playing a complex villain role if possible, but usually that's not allowed. Otherwise, I play a sort of 'disconnected'/mildly apathetic kind of character, but grows to become friendlier over time. However, I can play a lot of roles probably. I usually play a male role, but I can manage a female role easily enough as well. Ages? Around a teen probably. Give or take around 3-4? (Years).
Skills: Happening to think up plots people like? Characters? IDK.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Caeda]Skype ID: kanade-otonashi
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Pretty much anything that isn't Sci-Fi. Fantasy is preferred, but really I can enjoy anything that isn't Sci-Fi.
Preferred Character Type: I don't really have a preferred character type. I look at what's already been submitted into the RP and try to make something completely different. The only real consistency between my characters is that they tend to possess more faults then good things.
Skills: Being someone to bouncing ideas.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Kyng]Skype ID: regal_plays
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Anything that is not too realistic, with preference to Sci-Fi
Preferred Character Type: Furious Barbarian, or Parental Figure.
Skills: Formatting, idea generation, concept/system generation, OoC Optimization, application writing and balancing, writing in general, etc.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Raine]Skype ID:grandraine[/size]
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Ones that spiral into oblivion! ...and Slice of Life is my favorite to play in.
Preferred Character Type: The female hot-head, the religious zealot, the depressed dependent victim, the protective motherly figure, the unlucky oblivious side-character, the manipulative power-hungry cool kid, the wanta-be-housewife with a violent past, the book-smart wiseman who's out of touch, the desperate politician seeking atonement, Bruce Willis, K-9 sidekicks, anyone from the Goonies, and Patriotic American #4.  
Skills: I dance, I RP, I love. I'm most gifted in world creation; writing histories, borders, cultures, technology groups, etc. I like plot writing too but it tend to be dramatic. I can make spoilers![/spoiler]
[spoiler=~Renegade~]~Renegade~
Skype ID:[size=3] you should be able to find me with [email protected], under the name Marcus Sloan[/size]
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types:[size=3] Fantasy, Fan AU[/size]
Preferred Character Type:[size=3] I play at two ends of the spectrum, playboy trickster and honorable big brother[/size]
Skills:[size=3] Pretty decent with coming up with ideas, either for plots or characters. My problem is integrating those ideas into the RP itself[/size][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Chaos Sonic]Chaos Sonic
Skype ID: Most of you have it, as I would prefer not to put out in the open like that.
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Anime-esque (Thanks to both Kyng and Blu)
Preferred Character Type: I've gone through many of character types. Mostly hero types (when Im the host of the RP) to even the shy guy in the corner. I usually have more than one specific type (Currently trying to broaden my character creation besides the Shonen Hero type).
Skills:
  • RP Experience: Been in RPs with many people (Kyng, Renegade, Jake the Sage, Phantom Roxas, etc.) and thanks to them Ive honed my RP skills and experience well enough to the level it is right now.
  • Music: Kyng's nickname for me is "Mr. Music" as with each RP I've been with him, for every possible scenario in the RP, I found a very fitting BGM/OST/Song just for that moment.
  • Story Development: I have come up with great story ideas for different parts of RPs, even creating a nice plot line when I can.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Mugendramon]Skype ID: marcos.cohen71
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Sci-fi all day erryday.
Preferred Character Type: Anything goes. Variety makes for much more experience to be gained from every single game and I prefer it.
Skills: Planning mostly. I also have a thing for calling out people on inconsistencies. I guess I've participated on some RPs, and I believe my writing is good enough.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Andx]Skype ID:[size=3] andx.od (Think that should do it. Had skype and then got windows 8 and it made me do some out look thingy but that should work)[/size]
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types:[size=3] I enjoy fantasy quite a bit. Something about creating new worlds and stuff you know. Though I can like other genres if they have some fantasy-esque aspects to them. So being slightly more specific I suppose I can say that I like most stuff if it has adventure and action and cool things and such.[/size]
Preferred Character Type:[size=3] I've always attempted to stray away from super obvious character cliches if I could help it. The easiest way I could think to get around that was to base the character's personality off of my own. (Kinda easier to play a character if you know first hand the way they think/respond). I tend to steer away from the downers if that helps narrow things down at all.[/size]
Skills:[size=3] I'm quite good at plot overviews so like background information. Essentially creation in any aspect. Creating plots, worlds, histories, characters, it's all quite fun. Running RPs is another story though. I can spend all this time creating and then it gets going and I either tire of it or get bored and move on to the next idea. Granted it's been forever since I made or hosted an RP so I dont know how I'd do at it now.[/size][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Zai]Zai
Skype ID: qliger
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Anything and everything, though I'm especially fond of Sci-fi.
Preferred Character Type: I'll give any role a shot, but I tend to gravitate toward heroic characters with a rough exterior. I also thoroughly enjoy playing villains.
Skills:
  • World Building- I'm very good at building a universe and background lore for an rp. Technology, history, you name it.
  • Plotting- Can't say I'm good at fleshing out the details, but I'm great at planning out a story in the long term.
  • Character development- Probably what i'm best at. Character arcs and growth are my specialty.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=UnendingEmpire]UnendingEmpire
Skype ID: UnendingEmpire
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: I like 'em all if the concept is good.
Preferred Character Type: Any.  Just don't expect any males from me.
Skills: - Able to create worlds, factions, etc. on the fly.
- Good at digging out fitting music, and whatever music I can't find, I'll write.
- Rapidly fishing out images (anime only) for character appearances.
- Able to spot most cliches from a mile away.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Ain/Risa]Ain/Risa
Skype ID: aintheinfinite
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: I'll take anything, really. But I quite prefer high fantasy/urban fantasy.
Preferred Character Type: Resident egoistical jerk, brats, insufferable character, though I'm learning about playing more sympathetic characters as of late.
Skills: Mainly worldbuilding, but seems like I've been quite bad at it lately. And common sense, if that's still a rare commodity 'round here.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Hunter Within]The Hunter Within
Skype ID: TheHunterWithin
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Sci-Fi, Post-Apocalyptic, Fantasy
Preferred Character Type: I usually will go for a silent and reclusive character, but I'm willing to try something else.
Skills: Haven't participated in a role-play for a long while now, but I'd like to get back into them as well as posting in the forum. I can do plots, and I've dabbled in creating maps.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Jolta]Jolta
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Fantasy, mostly modern. Some sci-fi and Slice of Life is nice too. Well anime-type RPs are definitely my thing.
Preferred Character Type: The main heroine of a sub-romance, and sometimes, the misunderstood villain who was either mislead, or forced to do evil.
Skills: I can conjure plots on a whim, but that makes it a problem when I need to decide which ones to develop on and shape into RPs[/spoiler][/spoiler]3PlD1Dt.png
[spoiler="Club Projects"]Here will be the list of everything we are working on with links for convenient and easy access. We don't currently have any projects, however, look above at the poll and we can start a big group collaborative.

Blueblood - Revival
Genre/Themes: Mecha, Space Opera, Military, Political
Plot: The Imperial Ninth Fleet, led by the young prince and Admiral Lonn Alfadir, engages in a desperate, last-ditch struggle against the overwhelming forces of the democratic Intergalactic Federation while hoping to rescue their princess, Freya, from the clutches of the Federation elites.
Setting: A futuristic Universe where there exist numerous alien races and is divided between three large factions, the social democratic Intergalactic Federation, the autocratic/meritocratic Alfar Empire, and the plutocratic/capitalist Mercantile Union. A war rages between the Federation and the Empire, while the Union sits on the sidelines fanning the flames. However, it seems the Federation is gaining the upper hand and has pushed the Empire back.
[/spoiler]3PlD1Dt.png
[spoiler="Roleplay Tools"]Here is where I'll be putting stuff like RP Templates, Application Templates, Useful Links and other things that may be of use.[spoiler="Roleplay Templates"]It's a lot easier to work from a template then typing everything up from scratch.[/spoiler][spoiler="Application Templates"]Different RPs may require different Templates.[spoiler=AixDivadis Horizontal Rule Template'][spoiler="Personal Info"]Name:
Gender: [/spoiler][spoiler=Appearance]What does your character look like? 4 lines minimum[/spoiler][spoiler=Personality][/spoiler][spoiler=Backstory]Your character's background and biography. 4 lines minimum[/spoiler][spoiler="Combat Info"][spoiler="Primary Weapon"]What is your character's main weapon? Describe their capabilities[/spoiler][spoiler="Fighting Style"]How does your character typically fight?[/spoiler[spoiler=Equipment]Any other equipment, armour or weapons they may have?[/spoiler][spoiler=Skills/Techniques]List here any non-magical passive skills and techniques related to combat.[/spoiler][spoiler=Power]Any supernatural powers they may possess goes here. Describe how it works and their limits.[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler="Other Stuff"]Anything else that is not included above should go here.[/spoiler]
[spoiler='Personal Info'][b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b] [/spoiler][spoiler='Appearance']What does your character look like? 4 lines minimum[/spoiler][spoiler='Personality'][/spoiler][spoiler='Backstory']Your character's background and biography. 4 lines minimum[/spoiler][spoiler='Combat Info'][spoiler='Primary Weapon']What is your character's main weapon? Describe their capabilities[/spoiler][spoiler='Fighting Style']How does your character typically fight?[/spoiler][spoiler='Equipment']Any other equipment, armour or weapons they may have?[/spoiler][spoiler='Skills/Techniques']List here any non-magical passive skills and techniques related to combat.[/spoiler][spoiler='Power']Any supernatural powers they may possess goes here. Describe how it works and their limits.[/spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler='Other Stuff']Anything else that is not included above should go here.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler="Useful Links"]RP Character Creation Guide: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/248851-rp-character-creation-guide/.
[/spoiler][/spoiler]3PlD1Dt.png

Skype ID: kanade-otonashi

Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Pretty much anything that isn't Sci-Fi. Fantasy is preferred, but really I can enjoy anything that isn't Sci-Fi.

Preferred Character Type: I don't really have a preferred character type. I look at what's already been submitted into the RP and try to make something completely different. The only real consistency between my characters is that they tend to possess more faults then good things.

Skills: I'm a person who's only real use is being able to bounce ideas off of... I don't have any real talents.

Kyng
Skype ID: regal_plays
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Anything that is not too realistic, with preference to Sci-Fi
Preferred Character Type: Furious Barbarian, or Parental Figure.
Skills: Formatting, idea generation, concept/system generation, OoC Optimization, application writing and balancing, writing in general, etc.

RAINE
Skype ID:grandraine
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Ones that spiral into oblivion! ...and Slice of Life is my favorite to play in. 
Preferred Character Type: The female hot-head, the religious zealot, the depressed dependent victim, the protective motherly figure, the unlucky oblivious side-character, the manipulative power-hungry cool kid, the wanta-be-housewife with a violent past, the book-smart wiseman who's out of touch, the desperate politician seeking atonement, Bruce Willis, K-9 sidekicks, anyone from the Goonies, and Patriotic American #4.  
Skills: I dance, I RP, I love. I'm most gifted in world creation; writing histories, borders, cultures, technology groups, etc. I like plot writing too but it tend to be dramatic. I can make spoilers!

~Renegade~
Skype ID: you should be able to find me with [email protected], under the name Marcus Sloan
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Fantasy, Fan AU
Preferred Character Type: I play at two ends of the spectrum, playboy trickster and honorable big brother
Skills: Pretty decent with coming up with ideas, either for plots or characters. My problem is integrating those ideas into the RP itself

I worked on this OoC a long time ago and I never got it to print. I want to know if any of you might like it. 

Work-In-Progress
Genre: A sheer balls-to-the-wall action RP taking place in a variety of settings.
[spoiler=Working OoC]

[spoiler=Plot]
There are many worlds, and even more realities. Boundless cosmos, filled with life, excelling, growing, progressing, learning, laughing, fighting, hating, mourning, and dying. The universe is always fair, more often than hoped, to a cruel degree. Within these countless worlds lies the trampled dreams, damnations in the night, and shouted curses at such an unforgiving realize. Fortunately poor souls, your pleas have been heard. Opportunity has been gifted to the chosen tragic cases of the universe out of the caring generosity and charity of the Magistrate. He has given you the power to change your fate.

Deep within the abstract corners of dimension and space houses the home to all pasts, presents, and futures. A great library saturated with shelf after shelf of hand written volumes containing every event and detail of the universe. The Hall of Records, as it was occasionally referred; the archive of the universe was managed by only one creature, a deity of information named the Magistrate. In his musing and reading whilst occupying the impossible library, he began to enjoy the stories and tales of the unrewarded, the downtrodden, the wanting, and others. Being the mischievous and curious soul he is, the Magistrate decided to give his favorite persons the one thing they prayed so dearly for, opportunity.

A game, a massive game powered and managed by the complete abilities and access of the Magistrate. Twelve individuals are chosen from across the universe, in different dimensions, and parallel realities to compete and kill for who wants to change their stars the most. Each contestant, from different backgrounds, different worlds, different abilities, is fighting for the ultimate prize, changing history. The reward for winning this game orchestrated by god is to write one thing into the Book of History; a massive volume that controls the entire Hall of Records. Does the ambitious and unfortunate soul that fought for years to become something greater wish for power and fame? Write in your new past and edit your future to get that. Does the crestfallen widowed lover swear to sacrifice everything to get her back? Prove it, win and erase her death from past. Does the war lord simply wish for what all great men want? Wish for more. 

You have been teleported into the foyer of the Hall of Records, a candidate of the Magistrate; you have been selected because there is something you want. Something you will tear about the sky and bring down the moon for. Be prepared, you may just have to do it. Be careful what you wish for!

[/spoiler]

__________________________________________________________________________________

[spoiler=RP Rules]

General
1) YCM Rules will hover over you like the wrath of God!

2) This RP will be heavily combat-based, so god-modding and power-playing is not allowed what so ever. Death is a frequent event in this game do to its impermanent nature. Accept that, and win if you can but dying is not the end of the world... for now.

~The most important rule of all is to have fun!~

Terms of Acceptance
The number one requirement is activity, as such no members below 3 stars are allowed to join. Applications will be accepted on a quality basis, a member is allowed up to two characters only is approved by Sugoi and myself otherwise one is the limit.  

I am currently not accepting any more participants.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Game Rules]
Game Rules:

The game consists of a series of 5 Matches of different number of rounds always less than the number of players. A round consists of one world of either a historical or futuristic setting of Earth history, an alternate reality of a historical or future event, an alternate dimension, a planet of another world, abstract universal locations accommodated to support life.

All 12 players are guaranteed to the first match which is 10 rounds. A round consists of one unique setting, and all players must kill off the other players until one is remaining. Each candidate is allowed their signature equipment and abilities approved by the Magistrate to combat with as well as all items available inside of that particular round.

When a candidate in a round is killed, he/she is immediately sent to the next round in the next world allowed preparation until the next candidate from the last round is killed and sent to the next round. All rounds all played concurrently as long as a candidate is presiding within the world of that round. 

Each round only ends when the last man standing of the candidates is standing. A winning candidate in a round receives a token that signals that they have won a round and making themselves safe when the match ends then sent onto the next match. After all rounds in a match are played, only candidates with a token are allowed to continue, the remaining are killed permanently.
Preliminary Round 

1st Match – 12 Candidates, 10 Rounds
2nd Match – 10 Candidates, 8 Rounds
3rd Match – 8 Candidates, 4 Rounds
4th Match, Semi-Final – 4 Candidates, 2 Rounds
5th Match, Finals – 2 Candidates, 1 Round 
[spoiler=FAQ]
FAQ:

What is the preliminary round?
-The preliminary round is a team building exercise to allow the 12 candidates to form an alliance and get used to the mechanics of the game in a non-life threatening way before the official start of the game. Alliances are allowed and even encouraged in the first and second match due to the higher number of participants. 

If I die in a round excluding the final round in a match, what happens?
-Death is not permanent in rounds; instead they are immediately upon death transported into the next round early. All candidates eventually move to the next round upon their death or victory and this continues until the final round of a match.

If I win a round, what happens?
-Winning around grants you an item that cannot be forcibly taken from you. This item guarantees that you will survive into the next match. The item can be given to other players and should a player win twice, that item is expect though not forced to be gifted to another player. 

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Application]

Name:

Age: (Preferably 16- 60, or racial equivalent if other species)

Date of Birth: (If Gregorian Calender or other world time system)

Race: (Human or other, if other clarify in world info below)

[spoiler=Appearance:] (Either an image w/ height and weight as well as modifications or a 5+ line description of your character)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Personality:] (5+ lines, you know the drill)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Biography:] (No line requirement but each application will be checked for sufficient information and quality biography of character. This is core of your character. The only requirement is to give your character a reason for competing and hence why they were selected.)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=World Information:] (Please include a summary of the world your character comes from. If earth, explain what time period and place and also situation that area. If alternate reality or future, please include basic information regarding its past and the details of that world. If fantasy or creative, please include summary of the mechanics and situations of that world.)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Inventory:] (Inventory is any item that is unique or signature of your character. All weapons and items are screened by the Magistrate to not allow any item deemed too powerful for the competition. These items are bound to your characters and no matter the situation (stolen, lost, etc.) are returned to your character at the beginning of every new round.)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Abilities:] (Include all skills, magic, abilities, augmentations, biological features, blood rites, haiku making level, cooking (all specialties), how far you can throw a shopping cart, longest political party affiliation, number of times spotting waldo, does the idea of a female blacksmith seem hot to you, come on, look at her strong supple hands, no, your loss)

[/spoiler]

Other Information:

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Accepted Applications]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]
What you need help with: Mostly making the RP more accessible, editing the rules and maybe plot with it, and some people who'd like to be in it. 

Chaos Sonic
Skype ID: Most of you have it, as I would prefer not to put out in the open like that.
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Anime-esque (Thanks to both Kyng and Blu)
Preferred Character Type: I've gone through many of character types. Mostly hero types (when Im the host of the RP) to even the shy guy in the corner. I usually have more than one specific type (Currently trying to broaden my character creation besides the Shonen Hero type).
Skills:

• RP Experience: Been in RPs with many people (Kyng, Renegade, Jake the Sage, Phantom Roxas, etc.) and thanks to them Ive honed my RP skills and experience well enough to the level it is right now.
  • Music: Kyng's nickname for me is "Mr. Music" as with each RP I've been with him, for every possible scenario in the RP, I found a very fitting BGM/OST/Song just for that moment.
  • Story Development: I have come up with great story ideas for different parts of RPs, even creating a nice plot line when I can.

I worked on this OoC a long time ago and I never got it to print. I want to know if any of you might like it. 

Work-In-Progress
Genre: A sheer balls-to-the-wall action RP taking place in a variety of settings.
[spoiler=Working OoC]

[spoiler=Plot]
There are many worlds, and even more realities. Boundless cosmos, filled with life, excelling, growing, progressing, learning, laughing, fighting, hating, mourning, and dying. The universe is always fair, more often than hoped, to a cruel degree. Within these countless worlds lies the trampled dreams, damnations in the night, and shouted curses at such an unforgiving realize. Fortunately poor souls, your pleas have been heard. Opportunity has been gifted to the chosen tragic cases of the universe out of the caring generosity and charity of the Magistrate. He has given you the power to change your fate.

Deep within the abstract corners of dimension and space houses the home to all pasts, presents, and futures. A great library saturated with shelf after shelf of hand written volumes containing every event and detail of the universe. The Hall of Records, as it was occasionally referred; the archive of the universe was managed by only one creature, a deity of information named the Magistrate. In his musing and reading whilst occupying the impossible library, he began to enjoy the stories and tales of the unrewarded, the downtrodden, the wanting, and others. Being the mischievous and curious soul he is, the Magistrate decided to give his favorite persons the one thing they prayed so dearly for, opportunity.

A game, a massive game powered and managed by the complete abilities and access of the Magistrate. Twelve individuals are chosen from across the universe, in different dimensions, and parallel realities to compete and kill for who wants to change their stars the most. Each contestant, from different backgrounds, different worlds, different abilities, is fighting for the ultimate prize, changing history. The reward for winning this game orchestrated by god is to write one thing into the Book of History; a massive volume that controls the entire Hall of Records. Does the ambitious and unfortunate soul that fought for years to become something greater wish for power and fame? Write in your new past and edit your future to get that. Does the crestfallen widowed lover swear to sacrifice everything to get her back? Prove it, win and erase her death from past. Does the war lord simply wish for what all great men want? Wish for more. 

You have been teleported into the foyer of the Hall of Records, a candidate of the Magistrate; you have been selected because there is something you want. Something you will tear about the sky and bring down the moon for. Be prepared, you may just have to do it. Be careful what you wish for!

[/spoiler]

__________________________________________________________________________________

[spoiler=RP Rules]

General
1) YCM Rules will hover over you like the wrath of God!

2) This RP will be heavily combat-based, so god-modding and power-playing is not allowed what so ever. Death is a frequent event in this game do to its impermanent nature. Accept that, and win if you can but dying is not the end of the world... for now.

~The most important rule of all is to have fun!~

Terms of Acceptance
The number one requirement is activity, as such no members below 3 stars are allowed to join. Applications will be accepted on a quality basis, a member is allowed up to two characters only is approved by Sugoi and myself otherwise one is the limit.  

I am currently not accepting any more participants.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Game Rules]
Game Rules:

The game consists of a series of 5 Matches of different number of rounds always less than the number of players. A round consists of one world of either a historical or futuristic setting of Earth history, an alternate reality of a historical or future event, an alternate dimension, a planet of another world, abstract universal locations accommodated to support life.

All 12 players are guaranteed to the first match which is 10 rounds. A round consists of one unique setting, and all players must kill off the other players until one is remaining. Each candidate is allowed their signature equipment and abilities approved by the Magistrate to combat with as well as all items available inside of that particular round.

When a candidate in a round is killed, he/she is immediately sent to the next round in the next world allowed preparation until the next candidate from the last round is killed and sent to the next round. All rounds all played concurrently as long as a candidate is presiding within the world of that round. 

Each round only ends when the last man standing of the candidates is standing. A winning candidate in a round receives a token that signals that they have won a round and making themselves safe when the match ends then sent onto the next match. After all rounds in a match are played, only candidates with a token are allowed to continue, the remaining are killed permanently.
Preliminary Round 

1st Match – 12 Candidates, 10 Rounds
2nd Match – 10 Candidates, 8 Rounds
3rd Match – 8 Candidates, 4 Rounds
4th Match, Semi-Final – 4 Candidates, 2 Rounds
5th Match, Finals – 2 Candidates, 1 Round 
[spoiler=FAQ]
FAQ:

What is the preliminary round?
-The preliminary round is a team building exercise to allow the 12 candidates to form an alliance and get used to the mechanics of the game in a non-life threatening way before the official start of the game. Alliances are allowed and even encouraged in the first and second match due to the higher number of participants. 

If I die in a round excluding the final round in a match, what happens?
-Death is not permanent in rounds; instead they are immediately upon death transported into the next round early. All candidates eventually move to the next round upon their death or victory and this continues until the final round of a match.

If I win a round, what happens?
-Winning around grants you an item that cannot be forcibly taken from you. This item guarantees that you will survive into the next match. The item can be given to other players and should a player win twice, that item is expect though not forced to be gifted to another player. 

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Application]

Name:

Age: (Preferably 16- 60, or racial equivalent if other species)

Date of Birth: (If Gregorian Calender or other world time system)

Race: (Human or other, if other clarify in world info below)

[spoiler=Appearance:] (Either an image w/ height and weight as well as modifications or a 5+ line description of your character)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Personality:] (5+ lines, you know the drill)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Biography:] (No line requirement but each application will be checked for sufficient information and quality biography of character. This is core of your character. The only requirement is to give your character a reason for competing and hence why they were selected.)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=World Information:] (Please include a summary of the world your character comes from. If earth, explain what time period and place and also situation that area. If alternate reality or future, please include basic information regarding its past and the details of that world. If fantasy or creative, please include summary of the mechanics and situations of that world.)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Inventory:] (Inventory is any item that is unique or signature of your character. All weapons and items are screened by the Magistrate to not allow any item deemed too powerful for the competition. These items are bound to your characters and no matter the situation (stolen, lost, etc.) are returned to your character at the beginning of every new round.)

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Abilities:] (Include all skills, magic, abilities, augmentations, biological features, blood rites, haiku making level, cooking (all specialties), how far you can throw a shopping cart, longest political party affiliation, number of times spotting waldo, does the idea of a female blacksmith seem hot to you, come on, look at her strong supple hands, no, your loss)

[/spoiler]

Other Information:

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Accepted Applications]

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]
What you need help with: Mostly making the RP more accessible, editing the rules and maybe plot with it, and some people who'd like to be in it. 

I'd be interested in something like this. Having a more game-centric RP is something that I've been working with for the past month or so, but haven't felt confident enough in it to post yet, so this is really intriguing to see if it would work well. Although, I could see members getting a bit pissy when they are killed off. 

Mugen is confused.

Mugendramon
Skype ID: marcos.cohen71
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Sci-fi all day erryday.
Preferred Character Type: Anything goes. Variety makes for much more experience to be gained from every single game and I prefer it.
Skills: Planning mostly. I also have a thing for calling out people on inconsistencies. I guess I've participated on some RPs, and I believe my writing is good enough.

Mugen joined the club in the confusion.

Oh look an RP club. Sure what the heck I'll join it.

Skype ID: andx.od (Think that should do it. Had skype and then got windows 8 and it made me do some out look thingy but that should work)
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: I enjoy fantasy quite a bit. Something about creating new worlds and stuff you know. Though I can like other genres if they have some fantasy-esque aspects to them. So being slightly more specific I suppose I can say that I like most stuff if it has adventure and action and cool things and such.
Preferred Character Type: I've always attempted to stray away from super obvious character cliches if I could help it. The easiest way I could think to get around that was to base the character's personality off of my own. (Kinda easier to play a character if you know first hand the way they think/respond). I tend to steer away from the downers if that helps narrow things down at all.
Skills: I'm quite good at plot overviews so like background information. Essentially creation in any aspect. Creating plots, worlds, histories, characters, it's all quite fun. Running RPs is another story though. I can spend all this time creating and then it gets going and I either tire of it or get bored and move on to the next idea. Granted it's been forever since I made or hosted an RP so I dont know how I'd do at it now.

I've been working on a concept to incorporate into a more game-like RP. When creating a character, you are designated a set amount of weight. You have to take into consideration armor weight, weapon weight, food, and other various supplies that will be needed throughout the RP. As the RP progresses you will need to eat feed/drink water to stave off hunger and dehydration. Obviously, the point of the game will be to not fall victim to one of the aforementioned conditions in addition to injury and illness. Would you guys be interesting in joining an RP with this sort of incorporated mechanic?

Forgot to actually join this.

Zai
Skype ID: qliger
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Anything and everything, though I'm especially fond of Sci-fi.
Preferred Character Type: I'll give any role a shot, but I tend to gravitate toward heroic characters with a rough exterior. I also thoroughly enjoy playing villains.
Skills:

• World Building- I'm very good at building a universe and background lore for an rp. Technology, history, you name it.
  • Plotting- Can't say I'm good at fleshing out the details, but I'm great at planning out a story in the long term.
  • Character development- Probably what i'm best at. Character arcs and growth are my specialty.

Ain/Risa
Skype ID: aintheinfinite
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: I'll take anything, really. But I quite prefer high fantasy/urban fantasy.
Preferred Character Type: Resident egoistical jerk, brats, insufferable character, though I'm learning about playing more sympathetic characters as of late.
Skills: Mainly worldbuilding, but seems like I've been quite bad at it lately. And common sense, if that's still a rare commodity 'round here.

Combat in role-playing games can make it very fun, but in turn can also be a strong indicator of who can adjust to this new setting well, and who cannot respectively. During my time on YCM in this section, I’ve encouraged the notion of Role-Playing with Combat, as I find it diversifies how a RP works as well as opens floodgates of opportunities for the players involved in it.

However, I have also noted that there are players who are either unsure of how to RP in a combat environment, or are unsure if the action they have put-forth is, in fact, God-Modding and Power-Playing or not. As such, I have written this article in hopes to provide clarity in this particular area of RPing, and in doing so help those who simply are confused.

Creating your Combatant:
The first rule of creating a character with combat abilities is, as similarly mentioned in the character creation guide, perfection is the bane of a good character. Don't create a warrior with a sword that can cleave dimensions into halves whilst shield the wielder from all incoming damage. That does not make good story writing, whatsoever. Usually it will be inappropriate to the setting and will get your character outright rejected.

The best thing about creating a combatant is seeking the diversity of fighting styles available - but remember to keep them in ties with what would be reasonable for the role-play. A pre-industrial fantasy setting will likely not have much of a shining on gun-based weaponry, for example. However even with this in mind, your options are more than likely more varied than the colours of the rainbow.

However, I will mention this brief here as it is further discussed below, but a character without weakness is a bad character. Yes, it makes sense that you want to sell your character to the host as best as you can, with as many good features shining like a white-toothed smile. But more often than not, a host will want a more relatable character, a character with flaws. A character with weakness is a strong character.

With this discussed, we now need to address how combat is actually handled in character.

Combat in Role-playing Games:
Combat in RPs are another means to create interaction with players. It can be used to create, or settle conflicts between the players and the setting, or between the players themselves. It can also be used to open opportunities in the plot, as well as serve as explosive closing acts to particular sagas in a Role-play’s story.

Combat can be neatly branched into two subsections. Firstly, Player versus Environment (PvE) combat, which is a commonly used practise whereby NPC characters are placed before the Players acting as their opposition in this situation. Secondly, Player versus Environment (PvP) combat, which specifically focusses on having players themselves combat their characters against each other. Unsurprisingly, this is also where many issues can spout from.

While both can coincide, and clash, these two categories are the principle way of dividing Role-play combat. With this in mind, we’ll now look into those particular categories in further detail, in particular why players have issues here:

1 – Player versus Environment:
As mentioned prior, Player versus Environment focusses having Characters combat NPCs who serve as their counterfoil in a particular instance. However and rightfully so, members understand the context behind a particular enemy and, if significant enough, will be hesitant to even react against said enemy’s intent. As NPCs are often controlled by the host at the time, players do not want to risk ruining story they may put in place with these NPCs; this article seeks to defeat this by offering three classifications to clarify this.

A: Low-Priority NPCs – An NPC is of low priority if the plot surrounding them is somewhat unimportant. Usually they are placed into this instance of combat specifically for players to show off their character’s combat prowess. A low-priority NPC is as valued to the RP as a pebble on the floor. Therefore, when dealing with these Low-Priority NPCs, there is little to no need to worry about rule-breaking, since their demise is likely to be desired by the plot. Do not God-Mod, because that makes terrible role-play. Since these NPCs are less characters and more props, it would not be considered Power-Playing to control them: they'd end up dead one way or another.

Examples of such NPCs might include lesser minions, mooks, grunts, beasts, etc.

B: Medium-Priority NPCs – An NPC is of medium priority if the plot surrounding them is significant enough. Their presence has been made important enough to not be ignored, and their threat is plot-driving at this point. Odds are though that they're not going to show up again in the story. Players could easily confuse this with High-Priority NPCs, but a good indicator is how the host would convey them. They are their own characters, so manipulating their action would be Power-Playing.

Examples of such might include a bigger, larger mook, a mini-boss, etc.

C: High-Priority NPCs – An NPC is of high priority if the plot surrounding them is clearly important. Their context should not be ignored, and their threat is very much plot-driving at this point. However, one must consider if the Plot wants these characters to be a challenge, or perhaps will reappear later in the RP. With this in mind, players feel stumped, not knowing how to react. A remedy for this, which I’ve dubbed the Hypothetical Instance for the sake of this article, must be used here. Not only will it show you have a great deal of respect for the plot and this character who the plot favours, but it will also open interactivity between players to further develop upon a character’s attack.

2 - Player versus Player (PvP)
This term is very well known and straightforward: this refers to combat between players, more specifically their characters. This also happens to be where most, if not all the issues stem from regarding combat because of one simple detail: no-one wants their character to lose. Of course, it is note-worthy that a character that never loses is a God-Modded Character, and thus rule-breaking in essence, and so to remedy this are a number of notions you might consider putting into practise:

A: Accept Defeat – Role-plays are good if a player can take a break from reality, and immerse themselves into their character and play their role, but when it comes to PvP, players forget to recognize that it is their character fighting and not them; that it is their character in the situation at hand and not them, and that it is their character who may taste defeat and not them. People simply do not like the taste of defeat in any shape or form. Sometimes it is the more mature role-players who, beforehand, give the win to another player instead of create an uncomfortable situation inside IC. Bear in mind the words of Paul Brown: "You can learn a line from a win and a book from a defeat."

B: A Strong Application has Weakness – While a player is trying to figuratively sell their character to a GM it is rare to see applications that boast anything less than positives about their characters. While this might be seen as a good thing on face value, a stronger GM will appreciate a player purposefully shooting their app in the foot, and this is especially true in a combat-heavy RP. Why is this, perhaps? To be able to build up your own character, and then take him down a notch shows a greater ability in evaluation than simply designing the best character your mind can conjure. Not only this, but weaknesses serve as gifts to GMs, allowing them to potentially exploit them, thus developing the plot. Better apps are humbled by weakness.

Remedies: Hypothesis
Using a hypothesis serves as a significant and strong mechanism that both eliminate any potential God-Modding, as well as Power-Playing a character could potentially perform. It is also a very simple trick on words, which as a result opens up doors of opportunities for players to combine their own character’s efforts in my character’s set-up.

Try distinguishing between the following posts and seeing which is hypothetical, thus enabling another player to respond:

“X bolted for Y with a furious speed, which soon then lead to him leaping skywards, the momentum of his dash easily propelling him into the air. This lead to X’s plan to be put into motion: X began to spin to mimic that of a drill, as his feet drove downwards in a spiralling decent towards Y’s skull. With his feet connecting hard into Y, the spinning speed X had executed prior sent Y spinning outwards towards a wall, leading to him being smashed by the bricks.”

“X bolted for Y with a furious speed, which soon then lead to him leaping skywards, the momentum of his dash easily propelling him into the air. This lead to X’s plan to be put into motion: X began to spin to mimic that of a drill, as his feet drove downwards in a spiralling decent towards Y’s skull. Should his feet connect hard into Y, the spinning speed X had executed prior would Y spinning outwards towards a wall, potentially leading to him being smashed by the bricks.”

If you guessed it was the second post, you’d be correct. The first implies these actions have take place: while these posts should be acceptable at dealing with Low-Priority NPCs, you should never do these when addressing Player Characters or High-Priority NPCs. They do not enable the opposition to take any action, as the post asserts what has occurred as fact.

With close observation you can easily see how the second is a better post. Y is given an option by X, to either go forward with what X has stated, play with their post and respond similarly, or to alter wherever a chance to change the flow of battle is present. Y could dodge the attack in the second post.

Using a hypothetical post means that your post contains words, such as “could, should, may, potentially, etc.” in a way that allows your post to be countered by another player, erasing the sins of God-Modding and Power-Playing from occurring. You give your combat partner a chance to reply.

In your post, you might also not simply going to state what your character does, but you also state the advantages and disadvantages that face your character for doing so. By doing this, you are creating a powerful atmosphere of humility in your character's combat, showing everyone that your character's techniques are supreme, that they are not perfect, and that you are happy with people knowing these weaknesses to create a more believable and a more interactive game.

Strengths:
+ Enables another player to interact better with the characters.
+ Enables third party combatants to join and disrupt what has occurred seamlessly.
+ Does not rely on external consultation, hastening the rate of posts.

Weaknesses:
- Combat can drag on excessively.
- The terminology used can become tedious and/or awkward to use.
- Not as much OoC discussion is encouraged.

Remedies: External Pre-planning
Quite simply the case of using the OoC what it is for - out of character discussion. You discuss with your combat partner what possibilities you have and wish to take in the battle. In this discussion you could choose who would be the winner with your partner, alongside other various things - who'd execute what move, at what time, and who would respond with which counter, etc.

Furthermore this will, naturally, create OoC activity which is never a bad thing. By allowing you to explain your post in greater depth outside of the IC you will be participating in the discussion of the Role-play on the whole, and thus increase your activity across both the IC and OoC Boards.

Strengths:
+ Increases activity outside of the IC thread.
+ Allows victors to be pre-decided, making such less awkward to wrestle for within the story.
+ Combat is not dragged on as an end is pre-determined.

Weaknesses:
- Relies on a second party to co-operate which may not be an option.
- A likely reduced post count contributing to the IC thread

Remedies: Single-Post Combat
Taking the latter, and bringing it to full effect, the parties involved would write out combat together in one single large post. By doing this naturally a post count would be vastly reduced, however the combat itself wouldn't disrupt the flow of the story which works in this methods' favour.

A very good way to do this, if all parties involved are online, is to use online document editors like Google Docs, or, if you are not comfortable with sharing your Gmail with other YCMembers, I have listed below some no-login-required options for temporary documents which you can then copy and save or post.
  • Firepad: http://www.firepad.io/ (Just click the +Private Pad button in top right corner, copy URL to share)
  • CollabEdit: http://collabedit.com/ (This one doesn't allow font formatting and stuff and doesn't look as good)
Using the above, the parties involved can mutually work and write a combat story in one, simple, easy post.

Strengths:
+ Wraps combat into one, single post.
+ Allows victors to be pre-decided, making such less awkward to wrestle for within the story.
+ Encourages working together with fellow role-players.

Weaknesses:
- Post count is significantly hindered.
- If excessively large, may disrupt the rate of the role-play.
- Heavily relies on secondary party member.

A Conclusion:
I hope the following article has served you to better understand how to deal with Combat in RPs. Remember the remedies here, because not only do they make you come across as a better and more respectful Role-player as a whole, but they will also help you increase your word count and make your posts larger and, on face value, more impressive on the whole.

So, so far we've hammered out the basics of a VRMMORPG RP.

The VRMMORPG (which we haven't decided a name on) is loosely based on Norse Mythology, with the setting being The World Tree - Yggdrasil, a massive tree that is hundreds of kilometres high and holds various worlds. Mortal races live on the bottom branches of the tree, and scrounge the lands beneath the tree for various things (You get to the bottom through a flying mount, airship, or by skydiving off of one of the safe spots above an updraft).

This RP will feature the opportunity to play as NPCs, as after the latest patch, the many AI have begun becoming sentient. At the time of RP start, the economic and social situation of the players have stabilized enough to create a Guild Alliance big enough to raid a small seaside town (yes the tree is big enough to hold small seas).

Raine and Zai-Guard are in charge of hammering out the class system which is based off of .hack. There is permanent death, you have to create a new character if you are a PC character, or you actually die if you are an NPC. Stats do affect combat, but not to an extreme extent that you can't beat a high level player, however higher level players do have better items and skills as well so it is unlikely.

Races are yet undecided, we'll only have 4-6 if any.

Stay on Skype for updates or to contribute.

#Sci-Fi #Fantasy #Action #Adventure #Magic #VRMMORPG

[spoiler=Spoilered for Length Reasons]

Combat in role-playing games can make it very fun, but in turn can also be a strong indicator of who can adjust to this new setting well, and who cannot respectively. During my time on YCM in this section, I’ve encouraged the notion of Role-Playing with Combat, as I find it diversifies how a RP works as well as opens floodgates of opportunities for the players involved in it.

However, I have also noted that there are players who are either unsure of how to RP in a combat environment, or are unsure if the action they have put-forth is, in fact, God-Modding and Power-Playing or not. As such, I have written this article in hopes to provide clarity in this particular area of RPing, and in doing so help those who simply are confused.

Creating your Combatant:
The first rule of creating a character with combat abilities is, as similarly mentioned in the character creation guide, perfection is the bane of a good character. Don't create a warrior with a sword that can cleave dimensions into halves whilst shield the wielder from all incoming damage. That does not make good story writing, whatsoever. Usually it will be inappropriate to the setting and will get your character outright rejected.

The best thing about creating a combatant is seeking the diversity of fighting styles available - but remember to keep them in ties with what would be reasonable for the role-play. A pre-industrial fantasy setting will likely not have much of a shining on gun-based weaponry, for example. However even with this in mind, your options are more than likely more varied than the colours of the rainbow.

However, I will mention this brief here as it is further discussed below, but a character without weakness is a bad character. Yes, it makes sense that you want to sell your character to the host as best as you can, with as many good features shining like a white-toothed smile. But more often than not, a host will want a more relatable character, a character with flaws. A character with weakness is a strong character.

With this discussed, we now need to address how combat is actually handled in character.

Combat in Role-playing Games:
Combat in RPs are another means to create interaction with players. It can be used to create, or settle conflicts between the players and the setting, or between the players themselves. It can also be used to open opportunities in the plot, as well as serve as explosive closing acts to particular sagas in a Role-play’s story.

Combat can be neatly branched into two subsections. Firstly, Player versus Environment (PvE) combat, which is a commonly used practise whereby NPC characters are placed before the Players acting as their opposition in this situation. Secondly, Player versus Environment (PvP) combat, which specifically focusses on having players themselves combat their characters against each other. Unsurprisingly, this is also where many issues can spout from.

While both can coincide, and clash, these two categories are the principle way of dividing Role-play combat. With this in mind, we’ll now look into those particular categories in further detail, in particular why players have issues here:

1 – Player versus Environment:
As mentioned prior, Player versus Environment focusses having Characters combat NPCs who serve as their counterfoil in a particular instance. However and rightfully so, members understand the context behind a particular enemy and, if significant enough, will be hesitant to even react against said enemy’s intent. As NPCs are often controlled by the host at the time, players do not want to risk ruining story they may put in place with these NPCs; this article seeks to defeat this by offering three classifications to clarify this.

A: Low-Priority NPCs – An NPC is of low priority if the plot surrounding them is somewhat unimportant. Usually they are placed into this instance of combat specifically for players to show off their character’s combat prowess. A low-priority NPC is as valued to the RP as a pebble on the floor. Therefore, when dealing with these Low-Priority NPCs, there is little to no need to worry about rule-breaking, since their demise is likely to be desired by the plot. Do not God-Mod, because that makes terrible role-play. Since these NPCs are less characters and more props, it would not be considered Power-Playing to control them: they'd end up dead one way or another.

Examples of such NPCs might include lesser minions, mooks, grunts, beasts, etc.

B: Medium-Priority NPCs – An NPC is of medium priority if the plot surrounding them is significant enough. Their presence has been made important enough to not be ignored, and their threat is plot-driving at this point. Odds are though that they're not going to show up again in the story. Players could easily confuse this with High-Priority NPCs, but a good indicator is how the host would convey them. They are their own characters, so manipulating their action would be Power-Playing.

Examples of such might include a bigger, larger mook, a mini-boss, etc.

C: High-Priority NPCs – An NPC is of high priority if the plot surrounding them is clearly important. Their context should not be ignored, and their threat is very much plot-driving at this point. However, one must consider if the Plot wants these characters to be a challenge, or perhaps will reappear later in the RP. With this in mind, players feel stumped, not knowing how to react. A remedy for this, which I’ve dubbed the Hypothetical Instance for the sake of this article, must be used here. Not only will it show you have a great deal of respect for the plot and this character who the plot favours, but it will also open interactivity between players to further develop upon a character’s attack.

2 - Player versus Player (PvP)
This term is very well known and straightforward: this refers to combat between players, more specifically their characters. This also happens to be where most, if not all the issues stem from regarding combat because of one simple detail: no-one wants their character to lose. Of course, it is note-worthy that a character that never loses is a God-Modded Character, and thus rule-breaking in essence, and so to remedy this are a number of notions you might consider putting into practise:

A: Accept Defeat – Role-plays are good if a player can take a break from reality, and immerse themselves into their character and play their role, but when it comes to PvP, players forget to recognize that it is their character fighting and not them; that it is their character in the situation at hand and not them, and that it is their character who may taste defeat and not them. People simply do not like the taste of defeat in any shape or form. Sometimes it is the more mature role-players who, beforehand, give the win to another player instead of create an uncomfortable situation inside IC. Bear in mind the words of Paul Brown: "You can learn a line from a win and a book from a defeat."

B: A Strong Application has Weakness – While a player is trying to figuratively sell their character to a GM it is rare to see applications that boast anything less than positives about their characters. While this might be seen as a good thing on face value, a stronger GM will appreciate a player purposefully shooting their app in the foot, and this is especially true in a combat-heavy RP. Why is this, perhaps? To be able to build up your own character, and then take him down a notch shows a greater ability in evaluation than simply designing the best character your mind can conjure. Not only this, but weaknesses serve as gifts to GMs, allowing them to potentially exploit them, thus developing the plot. Better apps are humbled by weakness.

Remedies: Hypothesis
Using a hypothesis serves as a significant and strong mechanism that both eliminate any potential God-Modding, as well as Power-Playing a character could potentially perform. It is also a very simple trick on words, which as a result opens up doors of opportunities for players to combine their own character’s efforts in my character’s set-up.

Try distinguishing between the following posts and seeing which is hypothetical, thus enabling another player to respond:

If you guessed it was the second post, you’d be correct. The first implies these actions have take place: while these posts should be acceptable at dealing with Low-Priority NPCs, you should never do these when addressing Player Characters or High-Priority NPCs. They do not enable the opposition to take any action, as the post asserts what has occurred as fact.

With close observation you can easily see how the second is a better post. Y is given an option by X, to either go forward with what X has stated, play with their post and respond similarly, or to alter wherever a chance to change the flow of battle is present. Y could dodge the attack in the second post.

Using a hypothetical post means that your post contains words, such as “could, should, may, potentially, etc.” in a way that allows your post to be countered by another player, erasing the sins of God-Modding and Power-Playing from occurring. You give your combat partner a chance to reply.

In your post, you might also not simply going to state what your character does, but you also state the advantages and disadvantages that face your character for doing so. By doing this, you are creating a powerful atmosphere of humility in your character's combat, showing everyone that your character's techniques are supreme, that they are not perfect, and that you are happy with people knowing these weaknesses to create a more believable and a more interactive game.

Strengths:
+ Enables another player to interact better with the characters.
+ Enables third party combatants to join and disrupt what has occurred seamlessly.
+ Does not rely on external consultation, hastening the rate of posts.

Weaknesses:
- The terminology used can become tedious and/or awkward to use.
- Not as much OoC discussion is encouraged.

Remedies: External Pre-planning
Quite simply the case of using the OoC what it is for - out of character discussion. You discuss with your combat partner what possibilities you have and wish to take in the battle. In this discussion you could choose who would be the winner with your partner, alongside other various things - who'd execute what move, at what time, and who would respond with which counter, etc.

Furthermore this will, naturally, create OoC activity which is never a bad thing. By allowing you to explain your post in greater depth outside of the IC you will be participating in the discussion of the Role-play on the whole, and thus increase your activity across both the IC and OoC Boards.

Strengths:
+ Increases activity outside of the IC thread.
+ Combat is not dragged on as an end is pre-determined.

Weaknesses:
- Relies on a second party to co-operate which may not be an option.
- A likely reduced post count contributing to the IC thread

Remedies: Single-Post Combat
Taking the latter, and bringing it to full effect, the parties involved would write out combat together in one single large post. By doing this naturally a post count would be vastly reduced, however the combat itself wouldn't disrupt the flow of the story which works in this methods' favour.

A very good way to do this, if all parties involved are online, is to use online document editors like Google Docs, or, if you are not comfortable with sharing your Gmail with other YCMembers, I have listed below some no-login-required options for temporary documents which you can then copy and save or post.

• Firepad: http://www.firepad.io/ (Just click the +Private Pad button in top right corner, copy URL to share)
  • CollabEdit: http://collabedit.com/ (This one doesn't allow font formatting and stuff and doesn't look as good)
Using the above, the parties involved can mutually work and write a combat story in one, simple, easy post.

Strengths:
+ Wraps combat into one, single post.
+ Encourages working together with fellow role-players.

Weaknesses:
- Post count is significantly hindered.
- If excessively large, may disrupt the rate of the role-play.
- Heavily relies on secondary party member.

A Conclusion:
I hope the following article has served you to better understand how to deal with Combat in RPs. Remember the remedies here, because not only do they make you come across as a better and more respectful Role-player as a whole, but they will also help you increase your word count and make your posts larger and, on face value, more impressive on the whole.

[/spoiler]

^^This is super helpful guys, I know it is pretty basic stuff for more experienced RPers, but it doesn't hurt to see it written down or to just remind yourself of this stuff.

So, so far we've hammered out the basics of a VRMMORPG RP.

The VRMMORPG (which we haven't decided a name on) is loosely based on Norse Mythology, with the setting being The World Tree - Yggdrasil, a massive tree that is hundreds of kilometres high and holds various worlds. Mortal races live on the bottom branches of the tree, and scrounge the lands beneath the tree for various things (You get to the bottom through a flying mount, airship, or by skydiving off of one of the safe spots above an updraft).

This RP will feature the opportunity to play as NPCs, as after the latest patch, the many AI have begun becoming sentient. At the time of RP start, the economic and social situation of the players have stabilized enough to create a Guild Alliance big enough to raid a small seaside town (yes the tree is big enough to hold small seas).

Raine and Zai-Guard are in charge of hammering out the class system which is based off of .hack. There is permanent death, you have to create a new character if you are a PC character, or you actually die if you are an NPC. Stats do affect combat, but not to an extreme extent that you can't beat a high level player, however higher level players do have better items and skills as well so it is unlikely.

Races are yet undecided, we'll only have 4-6 if any.

Stay on Skype for updates or to contribute.

#Sci-Fi #Fantasy #Action #Adventure #Magic #VRMMORPG

I'd be interested, but still way more interested in the RP you proposed in the RP Planning Thread that included just about anything and everything a person could want.

I've been working on a concept to incorporate into a more game-like RP. When creating a character, you are designated a set amount of weight. You have to take into consideration armor weight, weapon weight, food, and other various supplies that will be needed throughout the RP. As the RP progresses you will need to eat feed/drink water to stave off hunger and dehydration. Obviously, the point of the game will be to not fall victim to one of the aforementioned conditions in addition to injury and illness. Would you guys be interesting in joining an RP with this sort of incorporated mechanic?

^^Also, reposting this in hopes of getting at least some feedback!

The Hunter Within
Skype ID: TheHunterWithin
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Sci-Fi, Post-Apocalyptic, Fantasy
Preferred Character Type: I usually will go for a silent and reclusive character, but I'm willing to try something else.
Skills: Haven't participated in a role-play for a long while now, but I'd like to get back into them as well as posting in the forum. I can do plots, and I've dabbled in creating maps.

Alright...so call me out of whack, since I got like a million different RP ideas going on at once...BUT, I think I'm going to continue a sequel of my one successful RP.

Assassin's Creed: Consequences
Genre: Umm...not sure exactly.
Plot: This RP takes place about two years (give or take) after the events of Generations. The Assassins are getting back on their feet after the loss of both Jason and Ceilizar (Once Assassin, turned Templar and was working for Abstergo), with Abstergo giving the media and what not false information of most of the assassins (much like they have done with Desmond in the games).
Setting: The modern time of the AC universe. Just it being way after Desmond.
What you need help with: Suggestions on how to make the plot better, perhaps even more ideas for weaponry for both the Assassins and Templars, and maybe even some ideas on how to implement the Animus in it better.

Put this up in RP planning too, but i figured I'd also stick it here since a good deal of you were also in Blueblood (#Basedtim).

Just casing interest for a future project I've been wanting to do.

Nothing concrete yet, and I probably won't be doing too much work on it until Sigil and/or Reverse of the Earthbound Immortals finishes, but I have a few basic ideas already.

Anyway, It'd be a real robot (the genre of robot anime that most gundam series fall into, focusing on the mechs as realistic weapons of war) mecha rp, with a heavy emphasis on paying homage to real robot anime of the 1980's and 90's in the plot and setting, meaning you should expect politics, philosophy, some real science (with a good deal of justifying technobabble throw in), and outer spaaaaaaaaccceeeeeee to be in play. Possibly aliens, horrible hairstyles, and/or psychics too depending on where i want to place the concept on the Moh's Scale of Sci-Fi hardness. Might not be centered around a military cast, but its a possibility. Also lots of giant robots, obviously.

Would definitely need a co-host for this, someone who can administrate well and knows a decent amount about this stuff is preferred, but i'm not picky so if you think you're up to the task, be my guest.

If anyone's interested and/or wants to help me with it, that'd be awesome.

Alright...so call me out of whack, since I got like a million different RP ideas going on at once...BUT, I think I'm going to continue a sequel of my one successful RP.

Assassin's Creed: Consequences
Genre: Umm...not sure exactly.
Plot: This RP takes place about two years (give or take) after the events of Generations. The Assassins are getting back on their feet after the loss of both Jason and Ceilizar (Once Assassin, turned Templar and was working for Abstergo), with Abstergo giving the media and what not false information of most of the assassins (much like they have done with Desmond in the games).
Setting: The modern time of the AC universe. Just it being way after Desmond.
What you need help with: Suggestions on how to make the plot better, perhaps even more ideas for weaponry for both the Assassins and Templars, and maybe even some ideas on how to implement the Animus in it better.

Considering I've listened to Woodkid's "The Golden Age" (music from the newer AC: Unity Trailer)...what would you think of having this take place in France perhaps? I had it take place pretty much in America in Generations, as we even traveled to the Auditore Villa (and even one of the characters traveling to Masyaf).

Put this up in RP planning too, but i figured I'd also stick it here since a good deal of you were also in Blueblood (#Basedtim).

If anyone's interested and/or wants to help me with it, that'd be awesome.

I'd be interested to both be in it and help you, though I need to brush off my real robot knowledge, having been stuck in the super robot genre as of late.

Though, I'd help as best as I can.

Jolta
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Fantasy, mostly modern. Some sci-fi and Slice of Life is nice too. Well anime-type RPs are definitely my thing.
Preferred Character Type: The main heroine of a sub-romance, and sometimes, the misunderstood villain who was either mislead, or forced to do evil.
Skills: I can conjure plots on a whim, but that makes it a problem when I need to decide which ones to develop on and shape into RPs

Archived