[Finished][Leaderboard] Rrrtttyyyuuuiii vs. magemeek22(Rrrtttyyyuuuiii wins!)

Rules
  • All Leaderboard rules apply.
  • First to 3 votes or most votes by the deadline wins.
  • The winner gets a rep from the loser.
  • Voters are to explain their reasoning. Better-explained thought processes will receive reps.
  • Written cards are allowed. (Must be in written format, cards with blank pictures are not acceptable)
  • Remove any evidence of the card being made by you to ensure anonymity.
  • In case a downtime happens, the deadlines may be extended.
Deadlines
  • PM your cards within 48 hours after I accept the challenge.
  • Voters have 72 hours to vote once the cards are posted up.
Requirements[list]
[*]Create a (did warriors last time...let's go with) Dragon-Type monster that supports either Blue-Eyes decks or Red-Eyes Decks. Note: This is a serious contest I'm not going like (ranting and raving) "DRAGONS!!! ARRGH!" or anything like that

Card A:
XapeUGm.jpg
When this card is Normal Summoned: Banish 1 "Red-Eyes" monster from your hand or Deck and add 1 "Red-Eyes" monster from your Graveyard to your hand. If a "Red-Eyes" monster(s) is sent to the Graveyard or banished while this card is removed from play: You can target one of those monsters; Shuffle this card into the Deck and Special Summon that target. Each effect of "Red-Eyes Descendant" can only be used once per turn.
Card B:
gAuhdkZ.jpg
If this card is Normal, Flip, or Special Summoned: Change it to Defense Position. Once per turn: You can Special Summon one "Red-Eyes" monster from your hand or Graveyard. Its effects are negated and it cannot attack. While there is a face-up "Red-Eyes" monster other than this card on the field, your opponent cannot target this card for an attack. You can tribute 2 "Red-Eyes" monsters Special Summoned by this card's effect to Special Summon 1 "Red-Eyes" Dragon-Type monster from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard.

I'll vote...

First off: General impressions.

Neither contestant really did something innovative. Both supports cards just summon Red Eyes from the Deck through weird and convoluted ways... and that's it. It would have been awesome if one of them created a support monster that did something other than just 'summon X, kthxbai'. 

Red Eyes Descendant: The body first. Dark/Dragon/Tuner with 1 level is very good. I can immediately see it supporting the Red Eyes archetype by syncro summoning with Red Eyes B. Dragon into a lvl 8. It has great synergy with both Chaos and Dragon ruler decks, so it's got that going for it. As I read it, its main objective is to get Red Eyes B. Dragon out in three steps. It searches it/retrieves REBD, then it gets banished, then it waits for a REBD to get discarded or banished for it to summon a copy.

It's a pretty slow effect (requires a normal summon, itself to get banished AND for you to discard/banish a REBD, hopefully the one you searched). Also, REBD isn't that great of a target, essentially plopping a 2400 ATK vanilla on the field. Even more plays are required to take advantage of this card, requiring more cards and simply bogging down this card. All in all, it's a below average searcher.

Of only it could summon just Red Eyes B. Dragon. What any smart duelist would do is splash this in a Chaos/DRuler deck without a whiff of other Red Eyes cards. Look at this:

Normal summon Descendant. Banish a Descendant (both are 'Red Eyes' cards). 

Banish The Descendant in the hand for a Dragon Ruler. Synrcro a level 8.

Next turn, banish the Descendant in the grave for the Dragon Ruler you used to syncro summon.

Shuffle a Descendant into the deck, Special summon a Descendant. Syncro lvl 8 again.

What I see here is a Descendant and a Dragon ruler making two lvl 8's at the cost of 2 cards from the grave.  

Red Eyes Summoner Dragon: Dark lvl 4 dragon gives some descent support to the same decks as Descendant. At that level, ATK/DEF becomes more important, and they are'nt that great. Dismal attack, and the DEF an't stand up to anything useful, but that's not too much of an issue, since battle isn't this card's objective.

If I understand correctly, this card acts as a summoner for Red Eyes cards that were already brought into play by drawing or sending to the grave. It's once per turn effect without any cost or restrictions is actually pretty powerful, on the level of Wolfbark. To ensure this card survives, it has battle protection, which I think is pretty well thought out. The opponent has to get rid of the other Red Eyes first, wasting a battle/destruction effect for something you got out for free. The second effect is slow but consistent. You have to wait an entire turn, dodging destruction and battle effects, to summon ANOTHER Red Eyes, then send both to the grave... to get a Red Eyes from anywhere. Except it can attack. 

Now, in my eyes, this is bog slow. You can't push with your advantage on the turn you summon this, unless you use up other cards, and you have to wait an entire turn before you can summon the same card.

Of course, you can disregard all of that.

Summon this card. Summon Red Eyes Wyvern/another Summoner Dragon. XYZ summon. Immediate advantage generation. Detach XYZ materials.

Next turn, like a Wolfbark at 3, summon another copy/Call of Haunt it onto the field/Summon Monk it, XYZ again. 

So, once again, you can completely disregard other Red Eyes cards, play a triplicate of Summoner Dragon, and get massive 1-card XYZ plays.

Now for my decision.

Both cards in my opinion fail at their task of supporting the Red Eyes archetype. They are so powerful/consistent that you could just play 3 of themselves for several free plays. The only difference is one creates slow lvl 8 Syncros with Dragon Rulers, and the other gets slightly faster 1-card XYZ's. Now, I would congratulate these cards if they were in a free creation forum, but this one specifically made the condition of supporting an 'archetype', not just creating a Red Eyes card.

All things considered, Summoner Dragon is faster and doesn't dig into the deck for a copy of itself as easily as Descendant can.

1 Red-Eyed vote for Red Eyes Summoner Dragon.

@krakonfour
Note that the requirement was to support the red eyes archetype, including Red eyes darkness metal dragon (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=pH--U4vkG4GqyAS3koGoDw&url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Red-Eyes_Darkness_Metal_Dragon&cd=1&ved=0CBwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNG_YRa8hACc2qkJv8tKzJNRtVKQcA). I'm not sure how that affects your review, but it's worth pointing out

@krakonfour
Note that the requirement was to support the red eyes archetype, including Red eyes darkness metal dragon (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=pH--U4vkG4GqyAS3koGoDw&url=http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Red-Eyes_Darkness_Metal_Dragon&cd=1&ved=0CBwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNG_YRa8hACc2qkJv8tKzJNRtVKQcA). I'm not sure how that affects your review, but it's worth pointing out

Not really, because they can summon it equally well, with a small advantage for Descendant, since it activates it.  

An immediate XYZ from Summoner is still better.

Archived