Quiz me on Magic: the Gathering

Rodrigo

Akroan Crusader: Great art or the greatest art?

Great art, but it's kind of hard to beat Archangel of Thune: http://magiccards.info/scans/en/m14/5.jpg

Your favorite EDH deck?

I've played with many different commanders, but none compare with my Maelstrom Wanderer deck. Mainly because I've put so much time, money, and dedication on it. It's my baby.

Opalescence and Humility - two cards that create an unstoppable infinite loop of passive abilities. To let one resolve while the other is on the field would elicit a collective groan. But it seems that after years of their infamy and niche rules, they eventually create a stable board state to allow the game to proceed. What's the latest verdict on what happens if both cards exist?

Opalescence and Humility - two cards that create an unstoppable infinite loop of passive abilities. To let one resolve while the other is on the field would elicit a collective groan. But it seems that after years of their infamy and niche rules, they eventually create a stable board state to allow the game to proceed. What's the latest verdict on what happens if both cards exist?

Currently, the game uses the layer system, based on the timing (called timestamp) the cards have been put on the battlefield.

• 10/1/2009: This is the current interaction between Humility and Opalescence:The type-changing effect applies at layer 4, but the rest happens in the applicable layers. The rest of it will apply even if the permanent loses its ability before it's finished applying. So if Opalescence, Humility, and Worship are on the battlefield and Opalescence entered the battlefield before Humility, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments. (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities. (Humility) Layer 7b: Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4. (Opalescence). Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). But if Humility entered the battlefield before Opalescence, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities (Humility). Layer 7b: Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4 (Opalescence).

How doth one gather enough magic to be competitive?

By making a contract with Mark "Kyubey" Rosewater.

10/1/2009: This is the current interaction between Humility and Opalescence:The type-changing effect applies at layer 4, but the rest happens in the applicable layers. The rest of it will apply even if the permanent loses its ability before it's finished applying. So if Opalescence, Humility, and Worship are on the battlefield and Opalescence entered the battlefield before Humility, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments. (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities. (Humility) Layer 7b: Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4. (Opalescence). Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). But if Humility entered the battlefield before Opalescence, the following is true: Layer 4: Humility and Worship each become creatures that are still enchantments (Opalescence). Layer 6: Humility and Worship each lose their abilities (Humility). Layer 7b: Humility becomes 1/1 and Worship becomes 1/1 (Humility). Humility becomes 4/4 and Worship becomes 4/4 (Opalescence).

Exactly what I was hoping you'd reference.

Using only Theros block cards and the M15 set, there exists a couple combos to get infinite ETB triggers. Both involve a single, humble-looking common. What is it, and which card within the same card pool can cripple the combos?

Exactly what I was hoping you'd reference.

Using only Theros block cards and the M15 set, there exists a couple combos to get infinite ETB triggers. Both involve a single, humble-looking common. What is it, and which card within the same card pool can cripple the combos?

This little fella comes from Dark Ascension, which is part of Innistrad, one of the best blocks/planes/sets ever made, and looks like this:

74Wlel3.png

And the card that stops these combos has been created with two things in mind at first: another hate card to use in your Modern sideboards against Splinter Twin decks and Birthing Pod decks, and another "Torpor Orb" for Commander, a format that abuses effects that trigger when creatures enter the battlefield:

2H3k9Hq.png

Who was the most powerful and format-changing Planeswalker of all time?

31.jpg

The absolutely strongest Planeswalker ever printed, this sees consistent play in all formats it is legal in. Even Vintage. Its flexibility and relative low cost make it formidable.

The most degenerate Standard deck since Affinity, called Caw Blade, used 4 of this card in conjunction with powerhouses such as Stoneforge Mystic, Squadron Hawk, and the Sword cards from Mirrodin, alongside premium card draw spells like Ponder and Preordain. The deck was so good, that Wizards had to ban both Jace and Stoneforge Mystic. Letting such environment exist was Wizard's biggest mistake since the Affinity fiasco of 2004.

31.jpg

The absolutely strongest Planeswalker ever printed, this sees consistent play in all formats it is legal in. Even Vintage. Its flexibility and relative low cost make it formidable.

The most degenerate Standard deck since Affinity, called Caw Blade, used 4 of this card in conjunction with powerhouses such as Stoneforge Mystic, Squadron Hawk, and the Sword cards from Mirrodin, alongside premium card draw spells like Ponder and Preordain. The deck was so good, that Wizards had to ban both Jace and Stoneforge Mystic. Letting such environment exist was Wizard's biggest mistake since the Affinity fiasco of 2004.

The resulting price from his demand thus had players call him "Jace the Wallet Sculptor", or variants of that.

Here is a simple question,
What is converted mana cost?

It's the total mana you have to pay to play the card. For example, this card:

34.jpg

You have to spend 4 mana of any color (or colorless) and a white mana to cast it. Its converted mana cost is the sum of that, which is 5.

If I remember correctly, Doorkeeper is Fbithp:

37.jpg

The other one, I'll have to cheat and search for it myself as I actually couldn't remember from the top of my head.

85.jpg

Cool!

I was being a little bit cheeky here. Unquestioned Authority is correct, but Doorkeeper isn't. The homunculi featured on cards like Doorkeeper and Provoke are just other generic Ravnican homunculi. The third card is actually in M15, gasp.

[spoiler=here it is]Yjbl2eI.jpg[/spoiler]

Archived