[Yu-Gi-Oh! CCG] Rebirth Project

Aix

COMMUNITY CCG PROJECT

SuddJGu.png

Template Credits: http://grezar.deviantart.com/art/Booster-Pack-Template-448676623

You all complain Yugimonz sucks, Yugimonz is badly designed, Yugimonz suffers from extreme power creep, so let's start from scratch. We're bringing this game back to its roots, and doing things differently with 9001% more anime girls. In this topic, all pre-existing cards are banned, except vanillas (Normal Monsters) which shall be Limited (for the lulz, it's nice to see variety in this game); effect destruction won't be so relevant, and monsters duking it out during the Battle Phase will be the main method of resolving things, thus ATK and DEF actually matter; Tribute Summons will be method that brings the strongest monsters to the field, while Xyz Summons and Synchro Summons will only serve their own little niche as utility-type monsters; costs will actually be relevant, so playing wisely while maintaining your card advantage will be key; the list goes on.

The focus of this set is good design while making sure it fits into the rest of the set. Also, no archetypes will be made in the spirit of open-ended Deck building. You guys can submit cards by posting below, and for each approved submission I'll give you 300 points.

[spoiler=AIX1-EN001 - Goddess of Rebirth]

IJziTbW.png

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can return up to 3 cards in your Graveyard to the top of the Deck and this card gains 100 ATK for each card returned until the End Phase.

Our Cover Card. Beyond being iconic to the set, flavourful, and having a totally amazing picture of Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade, it lets us gather our combo pieces, albeit only from the Graveyard and only in preparation for the next turn to encourage thinking and planning ahead. Returning 3 cards will also boost this to the ATK tier 2000.[/spoiler][spoiler=AIX1-EN002 - Powerforce Swordsman]

8UmIamv.png

You can discard 1 card; this card gains 500 ATK until your next Standby Phase.

For a discard cost, you get to clear one ATK tier at a time. How much are you willing to spend? It's power is in its versatility, but it's costly indeed.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=themonkeyspower - Fiery Bladesman]

dE6AZPP.jpg

When this card is Normal Summoned: Place 1 Enrage Counter on it (max. 1). You can remove 1 Enrage Counter on this card; this turn, this card gains 500 ATK and when it attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict Piercing Damage. During the End Phase, if this card has no Enrage Counters on it: Send it to the Graveyard.

Another simple beater.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=The Card Elephant - Embodiment of Excalibur]

1y3hg5v.jpg

Tribute 1 monster you control and pay 700 Life Points; Target 1 face-up monster you control; equip this card to that target. It gains 700 ATK. When the equipped monster is destroyed by battle: Special Summon 1 "Excalibur Incarnate" Token (Fairy-Type/LIGHT/Level 7/ATK 2500/DEF 1700) to your side of the field in Defense Position. You cannot Summon during your next turn after this effect was activated (but you can Set).

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Card Elephant - Nuclear Power Dragon AAA]

8e9rOVK.jpg

FLIP: You can pay 2000 Life points; this card gains 2000 ATK, also if it was flipped face-up during the Damage Step: change it to Attack Position.
During the End Phase: Destroy this card, then your opponent draws 1 card.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Haru-Star Shadow - Berserk Stinger]

CNuS9pY.jpg

This card gains 100 ATK for each monster your opponent controls. This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. If this card attacks, it is changed to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Saber - Vanity's Demon]

P1tBqkt.jpg

1 DARK Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Can only be Special Summoned by Synchro Summon. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can discard 1 card; negate the Special Summon of a monster and destroy it. When this card is destroyed by a card effect: Select 1 monster your opponent controls; its effect(s) are negated as long as it is face-up on the field.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Black - Megalypus]

kZ7rbFP.jpg

If this card is selected as an Attack Target by a monster with 1500 or more ATK: Change it to Defense Position. Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by battle, it is not.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Black - Basilmortui]

rcTEcLb.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monster(s)
WATER monsters you control cannot be targeted for an attack, except "Basilomortui". When this card is destroyed by battle: You can target 1 Tuner monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it in Defense Position, but its DEF becomes 0 and it is treated as a Zombie-type Monster.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Saber - Divine Capsule]

65oOVH2.jpg

Target 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; as long as this card remains face-up on the field, the targeted card cannot be activated. Your opponent can tribute 1 face-up monster they control to destroy this card.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Saber - Auratus]

4rOl0tq.jpg

This card can attack your opponent directly. When this card inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: You can target 1 WATER monster you control; increase that target's ATK by 500 and its Level by 1. A Synchro Monster that was Summoned using this card as a Synchro Material gains the following effect.
- When this card is Synchro Summoned: Draw 1 card.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Haru-Star Shadow - Duke Daemon]

6l6z5bc.jpg

If this card attacks a face-down Defense Position monster your opponent controls, before damage calculation: You can destroy that monster, and if you do, this card can attack your opponent directly as a second attack.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=themonkeyspower - Sword of Rebirth]

1NFVJOh.png?1

Discard 1 card; equip this card to a monster. It gains 300 ATK. When the equipped monster is destroyed by battle, add 1 monster in your Graveyard to your hand.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Ferenc - Skeleton Knight]

VHTGoaN.jpg

Cannot be destroyed by card effects. Once per turn, during your Main Phase, if this card is in your Graveyard: You can Special Summon this card. You cannot Normal Summon or Special Summon other monsters during the same turn you activate this effect.

[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Card Elephant - Nuclear Power Dragon AAA]

[/spoiler]

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! Thanks for doing this, it will be great for the section! Another thing that should probably be stressed is that we shouldn't focus on Archetypes too much. It is best to avoid them as it takes out a lot of deck building skill and too much synergy makes decks too powerful. IMO we should try and make a format that takes skill like Goat Control but without all the ridiculously broken single cards in their and more variety. Won't be easy, but will definitely be fun!

Awesome! Thanks for doing this, it will be great for the section! Another thing that should probably be stressed is that we shouldn't focus on Archetypes too much. It is best to avoid them as it takes out a lot of deck building skill and too much synergy makes decks too powerful. IMO we should try and make a format that takes skill like Goat Control but without all the ridiculously broken single cards in their and more variety. Won't be easy, but will definitely be fun!

How should we go about this so others will participate?

How should we go about this so others will participate?

Good question. Maybe give people a like if their card is included in the set? Also having games using this set on Duel Portal or something will be fun. 

Stickying this as well.

Good question. Maybe give people a like if their card is included in the set? Also having games using this set on Duel Portal or something will be fun. 

Stickying this as well.

Hm, I think giving 300 points for each card sounds good. That way, we also give out the points that people could use to host Card Contests. I've already massively inflated my point count a while ago, so I can quick donate to anyone.

The power level here is extremely wonky and is a major turnoff before even considering it.

Goddess of Rebirth and Winged Dragon are very weak cards, compared to the other 4.

Goddess is really, really weak even for a slower format. Can't attack AND can't draw? Well, why can't you draw? In a healthy gamestate, generic draw isn't even bad, and removing both that and ability to attack on a 1200/1800 just makes it seems weak as piss.

Winged is just hard to summon and doesn't DO anything. It's like a nublet RC card that's "hurr durr look at my personal BEWD".

Then there's Spacetime Stroll, which seems neat if not a little too good. Like, in a game where you're starting from scratch, a blink that +5s what it brings back doesn't make a lot of sense. It's starting you off on a higher power level than you probably should, given cards like Goddess and lolWingedDragon. It'd be fine as a trap, but it's generic protection blinking that +5s what it returns on a quickplay.

Slaying the Dragon... is a worse Rush Recklessly. I know that it's in a different format, but given that Rush Recklessly was an early game card for even OG YGO, this seems wrong. It's only usable in a losing battle, as opposed to in general. Meaning it's restrictive and inconsistent. Think of it like Skyscraper, but as a generic 1-shot. If it was a Rush Recklessly Clone or +5 w/ secondary minor effect (idk, piercing the dragon scales?) sure, it'd be fine. But as is, it's yet another power level discrepancy.

And now for the strongest cards.

While I don't think it's horrible, YGO as is has shied away from effects like Decoy Soldier, unless it was on something tiny. This is because, in a game like this, it will usually be a less than balanced effect. Mathematician and Card Trooper are examples of such. However here, the card's entire gimmick is being a floater that's easy to get onto the board... In an early game state. It's too good for a starter set unless you're allowing creep to happen too soon. It's an automatic 3-of because it's stats aren't bad at all for a base set and it floats. 10/10 stats would be better, but that's still questionable for a card that's basically always going to float or be sacked for a tribute, if you choose to make tributes worth it.

Then there's Dianna... What the f***. How on earth did it seem okay to put this in at a base set? No, it's not quite a Gorz, but it's a stupidly powerful early game card when <15 ATK cards are all over the place. This isn't Decoy Knight's fault, it's Dianna's. She's a free beater from nowhere, even if you ram your Knight. Yeah, she shrinks after that, but this means you already had a potentially massive momentum swing where you drew a card, got a huge beater, and then ended. Hell, it's even a weird tribute monster with something that doesn't float.

Making LP matter is fine, but Dianna is not the way to do it, at all. She reeks of something nearing Cybernetic Revolution, not early game at all. And that's when the game started declining in design.

So alright, the power level is established as following, and exceptions only made in exceptional cases:

- The three top-ATK tiers are: 2000 ATK for Level 4 and lower, 2500 for Level 5-6 and 3000 for Level 7-8, anything beyond that is some sort of giga-boss monster.

- Effects are -1 in most cases, a few being +0

- Effect destruction is only for giga-boss monsters or great costs

I have to admit it was a challenge designing a card that would suit the 2005 format or something along those lines, but guess this is my shot at making something for the set. I do like the idea of this project, however.

PuO7pfq.jpg

If a monster you control is targeted for an attack by a monster your opponent controls: You can pay 1000 Life Points; That monster gains ATK equal to half of the attacking monster's  ATK until the end of the Damage Step.

In a nutshell, if your opponent decides to attack your monsters; you can simply sacrifice some Life Points and give a quick power boost to avoid getting killed. I originally had an effect that would shred the monster's ATK for more LP costs, but decided against it because pushing it a bit.

Now Goddess of Rebirth is a generic 1700 that can restock spells and traps for no cost while getting buffed for it. You only have to return 1 that you'd really like to draw the next turn and she's 1800.

Powerforce seems less than worth it in an early game where advantage is everything, but, at the same time, small card pool could make it worth it so idk.

Striker... seems weak as balls. Apparently you're designing for around Goats Era or so, given the overall look, and she's just a worse version of The Tricky. Which was never even good.

Alexandra seems like a cheap pick off card. When you can do it, you make a 1500 that lets you draw 1 in exchange for one of what it paid. Doesn't seem worth it overall because it's too weak, but at the same time it's an ED option so you can toolbox it when you need to.

That said, I dislike the idea of including Xyz as a whole. Synchros can reward a player for playing specific cards to make them. Xyz reward you for generically playing, and are generally bad design. Even something like Alexandra seems like a mediocre card design that just reward you for being in a better position than the opponent.

Both of the Tribute Monsters are awful. They're -2s to summon, why make them so woefully underpowered?

I agree with what Black said about Xyzs. They take little dedication for a large reward. Also, if its relevant, I don't think we should include Pendulums either. I don't know much about the current ones but they stink of inherent bad design. 

So we should keep cards in here to more or less GX / 5Ds era then? Seems fair enough.

Agreed on not having Pendulums here (considering they encourage high Level spamming for the most part, in turn leads to either Xyz spam or swarming). Also agreed on what Black mentioned on Xyz; considering what's been coming out as of late; see Exciton, 101 and some other generic staples (get the summoning requirements met, you have something to blow up the field with, steal monsters as material and so on).

Hopefully other members decide to take interest in this project.

Both of the Tribute Monsters are awful. They're -2s to summon, why make them so woefully underpowered?

My thoughts were that Tribute Monsters are basically the only way to defeat Tribute Monsters in this format, due to the low number of other types of destruction. Although I suppose the introduction of ATK buffing S/T may make it easier to take them down... hm.

I don't intend to have powerful enough Spell/Traps that would make Goddess of Rebirth overpowered. Each card's individual power will be quite mild.

Striker's restrictions will be removed then, and maybe a boost to 2100 ATK as well, then.

I see your point on Xyz though.

Its got 9 lives

Killer Black Cat

In this game which destruction is difficult and achievable mainly only through the Battle Phase, one extra life might be right, but definitely not 9. This guy is a massive wall, so not accepted.

But even then, why do they just do gimmicky attack negating.

Even if that's the only way to answer them, you're -2ing in a format that would be much better spent on just devoting generic goodstuffs (Like Goddess of Rebirth being a static 17K that can dope herself; Make her just monsters, btw)

And, if I'm honest, neglecting Effect Destruction doesn't make sense. Effect Destruction is totally fine if reigned in correctly. If you're that worried about it, just make a Soul Taker that heals 2000 instead of 1000 or something. There are plenty of ways to counterbalance destruction so that it's fair.

Not to mention Rush Recklessly-esque things will surely exist. They will likely be just as mediocre as the 2 trib monsters, but they still would exist as alternate answers.

Also, forgot to comment on the crow guy. He's basically removal, you know. He can't get over Guardia, but the opp wouldn't be dropping Guardia anyways. It's just not good at any stage of the game because early has no way to drop it without costing waaaaaaaaay too much, and late doesn't need a slow weak boss.

Neither generic draw nor generic destruction should be feared in a game like this. It just takes thoughtful design to not break it.

I have to admit it was a challenge designing a card that would suit the 2005 format or something along those lines, but guess this is my shot at making something for the set. I do like the idea of this project, however.

If a monster you control is targeted for an attack by a monster your opponent controls: You can pay 1000 Life Points; That monster gains ATK equal to half of the attacking monster's  ATK until the end of the Damage Step.

In a nutshell, if your opponent decides to attack your monsters; you can simply sacrifice some Life Points and give a quick power boost to avoid getting killed. I originally had an effect that would shred the monster's ATK for more LP costs, but decided against it because pushing it a bit.

With the power scale revamp that Black suggests, I can see this better as a Level 5-6 with significantly lower ATK, maybe even put him in Level 4 power scale at 1900 to 2100 ATK because of his boosting abilities. I like the idea of trading off between Life Points and temp power boost.

I actually sorta see how Tribute Monsters should be stronger since you are usually waiting a turn to Summon them or otherwise setting up anyway, which makes it okay to have it at +0 or +1.

I really hope I'm not power-creeping these lovely cards, but:

1y3hg5v.jpg

Tribute 1 monster you control and pay 700 Life Points; Target 1 face-up monster you control; equip this card to that target. It gains 700 ATK. When the equipped monster is destroyed by battle: Special Summon 1 "Excalibur Incarnate" Token (Fairy-Type/LIGHT/Level 7/ATK 2500/DEF 1700) to your side of the field in Defense Position. You cannot Summon during your next turn after this effect was activated (but you can Set).

I figured why not try and help out. What set doesn't need a Giant Whale? Any why the effect is based off of Orca's and their hunting technique when something is on ice. If you don't know what they do think about it as humans flipping the tables, but eventually they something out of it.

bP8a6UJ.jpg

Depth Whale

ATK/ 2400 DEF/ 2600

Lore: By paying 500 Life Points you can destroy 1 defense position monster on the field. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this ability.

I think, like in Goat Format, 2-Tributers will just not be used except in dedicated decks. Too expensive, too little to gain and too much to lose if the opp can get over them easily.

You're right. Also can easily clog.

A rather convoluted effect that I'm not entirely a fan of.

I figured why not try and help out. What set doesn't need a Giant Whale? Any why the effect is based off of Orca's and their hunting technique when something is on ice. If you don't know what they do think about it as humans flipping the tables, but eventually they something out of it.

Depth Whale
ATK/ 2400 DEF/ 2600
Lore: By paying 500 Life Points you can destroy 1 defense position monster on the field. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this ability.

Stats are a little too much for a Level 5, or a Level 6 for that matter.

Well I guess i will try aswell. Basically a beater.

dE6AZPP.jpg

When this card is Normal Summoned: Place 1 Enrage Counter on it (max. 1). You can remove 1 Enrage Counter on this card; this turn, this card gains 500 ATK and when it attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict Piercing Damage. During the End Phase, if this card has no Enrage Counters on it: Send it to the Graveyard.

What's wrong with a little complexity (not that, in my opinion, it's that complex)?
And why are you not a fan of it? I'm not raging (sorry if it appears like that) but I just want to know.

On second thought, it's not as convoluted as I first made it out to be. Accepted. The Defense Position thing works out well.

As for why convoluted is bad, you don't want to design a card by just adding random stuff onto it or have lots of different elements onto it. Your card is supposed to do a certain thing. Doing too much is bad, doing random things makes it so that no one really wants to play it.

Well I guess i will try aswell. Basically a beater.

I suppose this is fine. Rather simple, but alright.

Lore: If 2 or more monsters were destroyed by battle this turn: You can gain Life Points equal to the number of monsters destroyed x 400.

Too situational, I'd remove the condition, and put it at 1000 Life Points per monster. Even then, even in this slow format life gain doesn't appear as relevant, and not really worth the -1. You don't want to run a life gain card because it does nothing to contribute to your Deck goal.

kNiClJa.jpg

Guard Beetle, Continuous Trap

During either player's turn, Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Insect-Type/EARTH/Level 4/ATK 1050/DEF 2100). (This card is also still treated as a Trap Card.) While this card is in face-up Defense Position, your opponent cannot select any monster you control as an attack target, except "Guard Beetle."

I have always loved me some Trap Monsters, and in a version of Yu-Gi-Oh! where the Battle Phase reigns supreme once more, I think it's time to spread the love.

Archived