Vampire Siege

Armoire

ivbp61K.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']If your opponent controls a monster and you control no monsters while "Vampire Kingdom" is face-up on the field: You can Special Summon a number of "Vampire" monsters from your Graveyard equal to the number of monsters your opponent controls. During the End Phase, any "Vampire" monster you control that did not destroy your opponent's monster by battle during this turn is destroyed. You can only activate 1 "Vampire Siege" per turn.[/spoiler]

I came across this picture and just fell in love. Vampires are a really neat archetype, and in the art, it looks like they're taking over the kingdom. So, I made the effect seem like they were taking over the field. Pretty bad explanation and risky design, I know, but what should I do to fix it? Should I remove certain parts and replace it with a mill factor?

To me this looks seriously OP. The card gives you +3 and it doesn't even have to be played when you're at disadvantage, meaning it's a free 2x Vampire Spawn or potential Xyz exploitment at the cost of really basic and extremely easy to meet condition(s) and no cost whatsoever, and the after-effect restrictions are just cosmetics to make it look "contained". 

Here is my effect suggestion with a certain twist on your original design (which was basically SS from the Grave):

If your opponent controls 2 or more monsters and you control no monsters while "Vampire Kindgom" is face-up on the field: You can Special Summon a number of "Vampire" monsters from your Graveyard equal to the number of monsters your opponent controls. During the End Phase, any "Vampire" monster you control that did not destroy your opponent's monster by battle during this turn is destroyed. You can only activate 1 "Vampire Siege" per turn.

The effect i came up with seems to deviate a lot from what you had in mind, but i've illustrated what i had in mind previously. There are more strict conditions to meet, the number of monsters on both sides are scaled and there are actual drawbacks to playing it, meaning any vampire that fails to fulfill his duty (and replenish his blood) gets destroyed at the end of the siege. Now it can be played during Mirror Matches. 

To me this looks seriously OP. The card gives you +3 and it doesn't even have to be played when you're at disadvantage, meaning it's a free 2x Vampire Spawn or potential Xyz exploitment at the cost of really basic and extremely easy to meet condition(s) and no cost whatsoever, and the after-effect restrictions are just cosmetics to make it look "contained". 

Here is my effect suggestion with a certain twist on your original design (which was basically SS from the Grave):

If your opponent controls 2 or more monsters and you control no monsters while "Vampire Kindgom" is face-up on the field: You can Special Summon a number of "Vampire" monsters from your Graveyard equal to the number of monsters your opponent controls. During the End Phase, any "Vampire" monster you control that did not destroy your opponent's monster by battle during this turn is destroyed. You can only activate 1 "Vampire Siege" per turn.

The effect i came up with seems to deviate a lot from what you had in mind, but i've illustrated what i had in mind previously. There are more strict conditions to meet, the number of monsters on both sides are scaled and there are actual drawbacks to playing it, meaning any vampire that fails to fulfill his duty (and replenish his blood) gets destroyed at the end of the siege. Now it can be played during Mirror Matches. 

Although the effect did deviate a lot from what I thought at first, it seems to fit more, and seems to be very balanced. The only thing I changed about the given effect is that instead of controlling 2 or more, it's also usable if your opponent has 1 monster. So, at the very least, Duke and Kingdom can at least pop something giving you temporary advantage. 

It's like a supercharged onslaught of the fire kings, and since vampires revolve around the graveyard, having monsters to target won't be a problem, and with the trap card that automatically activates the field spell, it seems way too easy to get out a bunch of monsters.  In MOST situations, your opponent getting out like 4 or 5 monsters comes at some cost, including soul charge, so equaling that kind of effect with little downside seems a little broken.  I would limit the amount to some max, like 2 monsters, so basically its like "Bujjincarnation" so you can have a free xyz monster.

It's like a supercharged onslaught of the fire kings, and since vampires revolve around the graveyard, having monsters to target won't be a problem, and with the trap card that automatically activates the field spell, it seems way too easy to get out a bunch of monsters.  In MOST situations, your opponent getting out like 4 or 5 monsters comes at some cost, including soul charge, so equaling that kind of effect with little downside seems a little broken.  I would limit the amount to some max, like 2 monsters, so basically its like "Bujjincarnation" so you can have a free xyz monster.

Personally, I think otherwise for some reasons:

• Onslaught of the Fire Kings doesn't require much set up, other than not controlling a monster with your opponent having one, and Special Summons from the Deck. This, however, requires a more strict set up, because you have to have Vampire Kingdom on the field with a Vampire already in the Graveyard. And Vampires are already slow starters, so it's pretty hard to get them into the grave unless you get Sorcerer first turn. The Field Spell's already hard enough to get as well, because the Trap's very unreliable.
  • When you activate this card, you're already at a large disadvantage, because you obviously don't control any monsters. The strength of the card is determined by the difference of field presence between you and your opponent If your opponent has 4-5 monsters on the field, then their field is already strong and you're probably on the verge of losing. Special Summoning 4-5 Vampires can only pop 1 card with Kingdom, and the rest can only be used as an Xyz Material for a DARK monster like Adreus or Bram, so no Volcasaurus or anything like that. 
  • At most, your opponent usually has only 3 monsters, so the most you can get out of this is popping a card with Duke and Kingdom, Attacking the 3 monsters for some damage, and getting Bram out to revive a monster. So your field has 3 monsters total.
  • When compared to Soul Charge, this card has a more situational use because it only affects Vampires, needs Vampire Kingdom on the field, and you have to destroy monsters if you want the summoned vampires to survive. Or you can just use them as Xyz Materials, but that's just lessening your monster count.

I see your point, but I just don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be.

Archived