OBJECTION! Er... I mean, Ace Attorney cards! [Very incomplete]

AcediaJC

Unsurprisingly, I'm a pretty big fan of the Ace Attorney series of games. It's easily one of my favourite handheld game series I've ever played, and for awhile I've been working on a set of cards based on them, but I was never able to come up with effects that fit both the feel of the games, while still actually working within the terms of YGO, which is why some of these cards say they were made in 2013 while others say 2014, and why the order of them may seem a little wonky. Some of them may also refer to currently non-existent cards, which really just mean I'm still in the process of figuring out an effect for that particular card. This set is a huge work in progress, and definitely nowhere near its finished state :) So far I have plans to include all of the main Attorneys/Prosecutors from the series, and at least 1 "Turnabout" card for each of the first game's cases (I may add ones corresponding to the later games once those first 5 are posted).

The idea for the set's play style is to try and turn the duel into a typical Ace Attorney trial, with the goal of both sides trying to gain "Evidence Counters" in order to reach the set's alt win condition (Are those allowed in the Pop Culture section? I wasn't sure if this would need to go in Any Other Cards due to the alternate win condition or if it belongs here since it's based on a video game series). However unlike most alt win conditions, both players are equally able to claim victory with it, so on top of building up to meet the conditions for it yourself, you also have to prevent your opponent from taking advantage of it themselves. At least, that's the idea I had in mind when making these. Potentially bad card design might prevent it from working that way... and if it does, please keep the above intentions in mind when offering advice on how to fix the cards :)

Also, potential spoilers for those who haven't actually played the games before.

[Spoiler=Attorneys]

[Spoiler=Phoenix Wright]

2l8algi.png

PWAA-001 Ace Attorney - Phoenix Wright

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by the effect of "Courtroom of Justice". When this card is Special Summoned, you can search your deck for 1 "Kurain Medium" monster and add it to your hand. When this card attacks or is attacked, you can search your deck or graveyard for 1 "Objection!" spell card and add it to your hand.

Much like in the games, Phoenix here is designed to OBJECTION! everything to gain his evidence, as well as being able to fall back on the powers of a spirit medium if the opponent starts to gain the upper hand. I may also later on add an equip spell that provides a sort of Psyche Lock based mechanic for him (Maybe sacrificing evidence counters for some other sort of advantage?)

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Mia Fey]

2yo8lr8.png

PWAA-005 Ace Attorney - Mia Fey

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by the effect of "Courtroom of Justice" or a "Kurain Medium" monster. When a "Prosecutor" monster your opponent controls declares an attack on a "Defendant Token" while this card is in face-up Defence Position, you can banish 1 card from your graveyard to change the target to this card instead. When this card is attacked, you can place 1 Evidence Counter on this card during the end of your opponent's Battle Phase.

Here we have Mia, part defence attorney, part spirit medium. Her effects are based on her philosophy of always sticking by the defendant, which she does here by redirecting your opponent's attacks to her instead, also doubling as her way of gaining evidence counters. The cost of this effect is simply related to the graveyard to vaguely tie in to the whole spirit medium side of her as well. She's also required for the Kurain Medium cards Maya and Pearl (The latter of whom is not yet finished) to use their effects.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Apollo Justice]

2hgd005.png

PWAA-004 Ace Attorney - Apollo Justice

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by the effect of "Courtroom of Justice". Once per turn: When your opponent discards a card from their hand, you can reveal 1 other random card in their hand or on top of their deck. If it is a monster, you can place 1 Evidence Counter on this card. If it is a Spell or Trap, you can place 1 Evidence Counter on this card and add 1 "Objection!" Spell card from your deck or graveyard to your hand.

Apollo's effect is based on his weird vision ability from the games (I forgot what it was called), being able to see what's really going on behind your opponent's calm pokerface. His effect basically means any time your opponent discards for their Prosecutor's effect, he gains an evidence counter as well. However as a way of hinting at his origins, there's a small bonus reward if the revealed card is a spell/trap.

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Prosecutors]

[Spoiler=Miles Edgeworth]

5wqvn.jpg

PWAA-002 Ace Prosecutor - Miles Edgeworth

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by the effect of "Courtroom of Justice" or "Turnabout Goodbyes". When this card attacks a "Defendant Token" or "Attorney" monster, you can discard 1 card from your hand to place 1 Evidence Counter on this card.

Edgeworth is really nothing too fancy (at the moment, I may update him with more interesting effects later on). Since he requires your opponent to discard in order to gain a counter however, he may be one of the better choices for a prosecutor to give your opponent control of. Unlike the other Attorney and Prosecutor cards though, Edgeworth can also be summoned by an effect other than Court of Justice, since in Turnabout Goodbyes he goes from your rival to your defendant.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Manfred Von Karma]

t5hn2t.png

PWAA-020 Dark Prosecutor - Manfred Von Karma

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by the effect of "Courtroom of Justice". Once per turn: When your opponent attacks a "Witness Token" you control, you can discard 1 card from your hand. If you do, remove 1 Evidence Counter from the field during the End Phase of the turn this effect was activated. If this card attacks a "Defendant Token" whose original (printed) name is "Ace Prosecutor - Miles Edgeworth", you can place 1 Evidence Counter on this card at the end of your Battle Phase.

Much like Edgeworth, Von Karma requires your opponent to discard to be useful, though doing the opposite and blocking your attempts to gain evidence rather than just to gain them himself. However if he's in your opponent's control for "Turnabout Goodbyes", he can gain evidence simply by attacking poor ol' Edgey. So much like the game, Von Karma here is designed to shoot down all your attempts to gain an advantage, while putting Edgeworth through hell.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Franziska Von Karma]

mhgdaa.png

PWAA-003 Ace Prosecutor - Franziska Von Karma

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by the effect of "Courtroom of Justice". Once per turn: You can discard 1 card, then change the battle position of 1 face-up "Defendant Token". When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent's Life Points, you can place 1 Evidence Counter on this card.

Since Franziska likes to go on the attack in the games with her whip just as often as her objections, her effect is based on doing physical harm. She can discard a card to make your defendant vulnerable, and then whip the evidence out of them. A good strategy would be to give your opponent Franziska as the prosecutor, then summon Mia as the attorney so that you can block all your opponent's attempts to gain evidence counters, and in turn gain some for yourself.

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Side Characters]

[Spoiler=Maya Fey]

2w2j2tf.png

PWAA-012 Kurain Medium - Maya Fey

When this card is Normal Summoned, you can banish 1 "Ace Attorney - Mia Fey" from your hand or deck. If your opponent has 8 or more Evidence Counters on their side of the field, you can discard your entire hand to target 1 banished "Ace Attorney - Mia Fey" and equip it to this card. You can tribute this card equipped with "Ace Attorney - Mia Fey" to remove from the field half of the Evidence Counters on your opponent's side of the field.

Maya is a last resort card. When your opponent's on the verge of winning, she can call on Mia for help to turn the tables. Should I change her effect to have a "Once per duel" clause though? Since running 3 Mayas and 3 Mias would basically mean 3 times you can block your opponent's victory, even more if you use cards to get them back from the graveyard.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Dick Gumshoe]

1zouau1.png

PWAA-022 Bumbling Detective - Dick Gumshoe

During your next Standby Phase after this card was Summoned, you can tribute it to place 1 Evidence Counter on a card you control. If this card is sent from the field to the graveyard except by its own effect, your opponent can place 1 Evidence Counter on a card they control.

Much like he's known to do in the games, Gumshoe here is designed around bringing in some much needed evidence at the last second. However he's also a double edged sword, because of course as a detective he's supposed to work under the prosecutor in charge, who can also use him to gain evidence themselves. Should the delay before he can be tributed be a turn longer though? So rather than summon then tribute if he survives the next turn, should it be summon, hope he survives the following turn, then tribute the turn after?

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Pearl Fey]

2khrv7.png

PWAA-013 Kurain Medium - Pearl Fey

When this card is Normal Summoned, you can search your deck for 1 "Kurain Magatama" and add it to your hand. Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Ace Attorney - Mia Fey" from your Graveyard and equip it to this card, or banish 1 "Ace Attorney - Mia Fey" equipped to this card to draw 2 cards.

Pearl hear serves two purposes: Kicking off the Magatama/Psyche Lock combo, as well as using Mia for draw power. Is drawing 2 cards from her effect fair? Considering she can potentially do it 3 times I feel like it might be a lot, but at the same time she's very easy to destroy and needs at least two turns per draw (1 turn to equip Mia, second turn to banish it and draw 2 cards). It feels balanced to me, but I know draw power can sometimes be totally abused, so I just wanna make sure.

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

[Spoiler=The Courtroom]

24qrg5l.png

PWAA-018 Courtroom of Justice

If there is at least 1 "Turnabout" spell card in your hand, you can reveal it to activate this spell directly from your deck. When this card is activated: Search your deck for 1 "Attorney" monster and 1 "The Courtroom Judge", and special summon them to your side of the field. Then search your deck for 1 "Prosecutor" monster and special summon it to your opponent's side of the field. As long as this card is face up on the field, only "Attorney" and "Prosecutor" monsters may attack, and "Attorney", "Prosecutor", and "The Courtroom Judge" monsters cannot be destroyed as a result of battle or by card effects.

j7866u.png

PWAA-017 The Courtroom Judge

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by the effect of "Courtroom of Justice". When this card is Special Summoned, overlay it onto the "Courtroom of Justice" Field Spell. When either player has 10 or more Evidence Counters on their side of the field, you must activate 1 "Case Dismissed!" from your hand, deck, or graveyard. If you cannot, you lose the duel. This card's effect cannot be negated.

23r6bg5.png

PWAA-016 Case Dismissed!

This card can only be activated by the effect of "The Courtroom Judge". This card's effect and activation cannot be negated. When this card is activated, the player with the most Evidence Counters on their side of the field wins the duel.

These three cards are what your victory, and really the set as a whole hinges on. The Courtroom is required to bring the Attorney and Prosecutor of your choice to the field and kick things off. It also protects them from destruction. The Judge actually becomes attached to the Courtroom field spell similarly to an Xyz material, and keeps track of both players' evidence counters. Then when one of you reaches 10 (Should this amount be higher or lower?), you're forced to activate Case Dismissed! to award the win condition to whoever has the most counters. I considered having the Judge's effect include the win condition itself, but I felt it could be more interesting to split it between the Judge and the spell card.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Spells and Turnabouts]

[Spoiler=OBJECTION!]

j0h8na.png

PWAA-014 Objection!

Your opponent must declare 1 type of card (Monster, Spell, or Trap), then reveal the top card of their deck. If it is the declared type of card, your opponent can add that card to their hand, and place 1 Evidence Counter on a card they control. If it is not, you can send it to the graveyard and place 1 Evidence Counter on a card you control. If this card is activated during a chain, it has the following effect instead:
Target 1 Spell or Trap your opponent controls and negate its activation. You can then place 1 Evidence Counter on a card you control.

Can't have an Ace Attorney themed set without some excuse to shout "Objection!" at your opponent, could we? The Objection spell has two different uses, both to gain evidence counters. The first is a guessing game, sort of based on pointing out contradictions. Your opponent guesses what the card on top of their deck is, and if they're wrong you gain evidence and they lose the card. If they're right, they gain evidence and can add the card to their hand. Alternatively, you can chain it in response to a spell or trap's activation, in which case it instead works as an effect negation spell and gives you a free counter.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Turnabout Goodbyes]

zswx9x.png

PWAA-010 Turnabout Goodbyes

This card can only be activated while your opponent controls 1 face-up "Dark Prosecutor - Manfred Von Karma". When this card is activated, search your deck for 1 "Ace Prosecutor - Miles Edgeworth" and Special Summon it to your side of the field in face-up defence position. Its name is treated as "Defendant Token". Then Special Summon 1 "Witness Token" (Level1/Earth/Warrior/1500ATK/1500DEF) to your opponent's side of the field. As long as "Turnabout Goodbyes" is active, "Defendant Token" and "Witness Token" monsters cannot leave the field. You can only have 1 "Turnabout" spell card active at a time.

Here's the first example of a Turnabout card. Normally they work by summoning a token to either player's side of the field; A defendant token to yours, and a witness token to your opponent's. Though Goodbyes replaces your token with Edgeworth, and can only be activated if you chose Von Karma as your opponent's prosecutor. The reason for this is that many of the cards in the set will also manipulate Witness and Defendant tokens for evidence counters. Though for this one I may have to update it later on to make some obvious advantage to having Edgeworth in place of a defendant token.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=The First Turnabout]

2uz2ohy.png

PWAA-007 The First Turnabout

When this card is activated, Special Summon 1 "Defendant Token" (Level1/Earth/Warrior/1500ATK/1500DEF) to your side of the field in face-up Defence Position. Then Special Summon 1 "Witness Token" (Level1/Earth/Warrior/1500ATK/1500DEF) to your opponent's side of the field. As long as "The First Turnabout" is active, "Defendant Token" and "Witness Token" monsters cannot leave the field. You can only have 1 "Turnabout" spell card active at a time.

"When something smells, it's usually the Butz". The First Turnabout is as simple as the Turnabouts get, both in the games and in this set. You get your defendant, you get your witness, and that's all you need. No need to worry about people in samurai costumes wandering around or having your rival accused of murder making the trial more complicated than it needs to be, here!

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Chords Of Steel]

296em46.png

PWAA-015 Chords Of Steel

This card can only be equipped to "Ace Attorney - Apollo Justice". Once per turn during your End Phase: If an Evidence Counter was placed on the equipped monster by the effect of "Objection!" this turn, you can add 1 "Objection!" spell card from your graveyard to your hand.

A simple support card for Apollo. With his Chords Of Steel, Apollo can spam his Objections much more frequently when they succeed. Though I feel like this may enable Apollo to rush the win condition far too easily. Would it help to give this card a clause where if an Objection fails while you have it equipped, this card is destroyed? Or would just adding a simple cost to its effect be better?

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Psyche Locks]

2gx1bpj.png

PWAA-023 Psyche Locks

Target 1 monster in either player's Graveyard, and Special Summon it to your opponent's side of the field in face-up Defence Position. The equipped monster cannot change its battle position, and its effect is negated. During the End Phase of the turn this card was activated, place a number of Lock Counters on the equipped monster equal to its Level or Rank. If there are no Lock Counters on a monster equipped with this card, banish it and this card.

The Psyche Locks introduce a second Counter system into the set, used only by two cards (This and the Kurain Magatama): Lock Counters. Psyche Locks basically just brings a monster to the field and depending on its level, places several Lock Counters on it, making them your target to attack with the Magatama equipped and over time gain a ton of evidence counters. Should I also add an effect that prevents a monster equipped with Psyche Locks from being sent to the graveyard?

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Kurain Magatama]

33m91uf.png

PWAA-024 Kurain Magatama

This card can only be equipped to an "Ace Attorney" monster you control. When this card is activated, you can discard 1 card from your hand or remove 1 Evidence Counter from a card you control to search your deck for 1 "Psyche Locks" Equip Spell and add it to your hand. When the equipped monster attacks a monster that has 1 or more Lock Counters, you can remove 1 Lock Counter from the target and place 1 Evidence Counter on the equipped monster.

The Magatama is how you break the Locks on an opponent's monster to gain plenty of important Evidence. If you didn't have Psyche Locks already up on the field, the Magatama also allows you to trade an evidence counter or a card from your hand to search out Psyche Locks from your deck. I considered calling it just "Phoenix's Magatama" and letting it only be equipped to Wright, but I decided it would be better to just make the Magatama/Psyche Lock tactic available for any of the Attorneys.

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT: Updated the Court of Justice to CourtROOM of Justice as well as added an effect to SS the Judge, and changed all related cards to match. Also tweaked Objection! some more to be a bit better balanced, and added 3 new cards: Mia Fey, Dick Gumshoe, and The First Turnabout.

EDIT 2: Added 3 more new cards: Apollo Justice, Franziska Von Karma, and Chords Of Steel

EDIT 3: Added 1 new Side Character and 2 new spells: Pearl Fey, Psyche Locks, and the Kurain Magatama.

CourtofJustice-LC02-EN-UR-LE.png

Sorry I had to

But seriously I like the concept as a pop culture one.

Forcing the opponent to play with them is a neat idea but if they don't play the exact same deck they can't do anything. The biggest issue I'd say.

I like how both players can use the win condition but you can use it whenever you want.

I would make Court of Justice SS the judge as well, and make him immune to pretty much everything so he's always there.

Looking nice so far but I'll give more of a review when I see more to review =D

Objection seems a bit flawed. Quick plays don't typically negate but that seems ok I guess…the issue is that playing it really speeds up the win con for the player 2/3 of the time. 

I would also make stuff that penalizes having too much evidence….like forged evidence xDDD

Ah, whoops. Must've overlooked that card. Guess changing it to Courtroom of Justice should work, and connects it better to the judge.

And I plan for there to be cards that allow the opponent a bit more room to work with, with the prosecutors all having ways to gain counters even if they aren't playing the same deck.

The courtroom summoning and protecting the judge is definitely a good idea, and prevents the player from just holding back the Judge if the opponent somehow has 10 counters before it's actually summoned.

For Objection, which effect makes it too quick? If it's the first, I may change it to only 1 counter if the opponent's wrong and nothing happening if they're right. If the second... I'm not sure, maybe banishing the card after it resolves so Phoenix can't endlessly recycle its negation effect?

Thanks for the review, and that last suggestion could be a good idea. Maybe I could have it be something tied to Dual Destinies or Apollo Justice, since the whole forged evidence thing were major plot points for them.

Typically objections in the game are either right or you get penalized. So there does need to be some penalty but I mean calling it right fulfills 20% of the win con alone.

Also you could make note of using something to somehow increase penalties I'm not sure xD

Ah, I know

Perhaps make it to where the revealed card is added to the opponent's hand somehow?
I think 2 counters is a bit much so maybe regardless do one and one, and the card is added if they are right because they presented the evidence =D

That could certainly work, since then even if the card they draw is something they have no real use for while the duel's in trial-mode, it gives them more discard fodder for Edgeworth and Von Karma. Makes Objecting a pretty big risk that way (Fittingly enough, 5 failed objections could mean defeat this way as well, just like 5 penalties in the game (At least the first one, when it was still just the check marks and there were no double penalties). 1 counter from the failure, then opponent can discard what they drew to get a second one with Edgeworth, or simply attack with Von Karma for a second one). Alternatively, I considered just increasing the amount needed for victory, since getting a fifth of the way there from one objection does sound pretty overpowered.

Archived