Anyone remember an old MMO called City of Heroes/Villains? [15/? Cards so far]

AcediaJC

City of Heroes/Villains was an old MMO I used to play that unfortunately had its servers shut down over a year ago after going strong for... 8 years I think? I think it just slightly pre-dated WoW so it was pretty old. For awhile now since I found YCM, I'd been wanting to make a massive card set to pay homage to the game. Not a single archetype, but more like a full on booster set with potentially hundreds of cards across several archetypes. And so, I've finally started on it now!

Lets start off with the main group of baddies from the game, the legion of Arachnos.

[Spoiler=Arachnos Set]

[Spoiler=COH-001 Arachnos Wolf Spider]

qyeqmu.png

Lore:

Wolf Spiders are little more than legalized thugs. Lord Recluse recruits legions of desperate souls to fill their ranks, then puts them through a rigorous training program that emphasizes loyalty, brutality, and discipline, in that order.

The basic Wolf Spider isn't anything special, just a vanilla level 3 Tuner. As a tuner though, it can lead into some last second Synchros when it goes summoned by the effect of another Arachnos monster.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-002 Arachnos Wolf Spider Tac Ops]

95scp3.png

Lore:

FLIP: You can search your deck for 1 Machine type "Arachnos" Monster and add it to your hand. When this card is destroyed as a result of battle, you can Special Summon 1 level 3 "Arachnos Wolf Spider" from your hand, deck, or graveyard.

The Tac Ops is a pretty simple searcher for the Arachnos Machine monsters, as well as allowing you to downgrade it to the regular Wolf Spider when it's destroyed in battle.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-003 Arachnos Wolf Spider Huntsman]

2qd2wk9.png

Lore:

This card cannot be Summoned or Set unless you control at least 1 other "Arachnos" Monster. As long as you control this face-up card, your opponent cannot target an "Arachnos Wolf Spider" Monster for an attack except "Arachnos Wolf Spider Huntsman". When this card is destroyed as a result of battle, you can Special Summon 1 "Arachnos Wolf Spider" with 1700 or less ATK from your hand, deck, or graveyard.

Huntsman offers some protection for the other Wolf Spiders, and like the Wolf Spider Tac Ops he can be downgraded to another Wolf Spider when destroyed.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-004 Arachnos Bane Spider Commando]

11kyuf6.png

Lore:

You can Special Summon this card from your hand by banishing 1 "Arachnos Wolf Spider" from your graveyard. This card gains 200 ATK and DEF for each other "Arachnos" Monster you control. When this card is destroyed and sent to the graveyard, you can Special Summon 1 "Arachnos Wolf Spider" Monster from your hand, deck, or graveyard.

The Bane Spiders are a step up from the basic Wolf Spiders, and as such when they're destroyed (And unlike the Wolf Spiders, this includes when destroyed by effect), they can be downgraded to any of the three Wolf Spider types. The Commando is also easily swarmable by banishing a Wolf Spider from the grave, and gains up to 800 ATK/DEF by having other Arachnos monsters around.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-005 Arachnos Bane Spider Scout]

2dcbmrn.png

Lore:

FLIP: You can target 1 Monster your opponent controls whose DEF is lower than this card's ATK, and discard 1 "Arachnos" Monster from your hand to destroy that target. Once per turn: If this card wasn't flipped face-up this turn, you can banish 1 "Arachnos Wolf Spider" from your graveyard to change this card to face-down Defence Position. When this card is destroyed and sent to the graveyard, you can Special Summon 1 "Arachnos Wolf Spider" Monster from your hand, deck, or graveyard.

The Scout can destroy a monster with less than 1800 defence, and then flip itself face-down on your next turn to use the effect again. Both effects do cost a monster, but if you discard a Wolf Spider for the flip effect, you can easily just banish that same card next turn to pay the cost of flipping it back face-down. And of course like the Commando, the Scout can downgrade to any Wolf Spider when it's destroyed.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-006 Arachnos Bane Spider Executioner]

t52f4g.png

Lore:

You can Special Summon this card from your hand by returning 1 "Arachnos Bane Spider" you control to your deck and shuffling it. If this card was Special Summoned this way, it cannot be destroyed by Spell or Trap effects. When an "Arachnos Wolf Spider" Monster would be Special Summoned by the effect of an "Arachnos" Monster, you can Special Summon 1 "Arachnos Bane Spider Commando" from your hand, deck, or graveyard instead.

The Executioner allows you to swap out another Bane Spider for a 2300/2000 monster that's immune to destruction via spells/traps. Instead of having a downgrade effect, the Executioner changes the downgrade effects of your other monsters by allowing you to summon a Bane Spider Commando instead of a Wolf Spider, which could lead into some pretty tricksy plays maybe.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-007 Arachnos Crab Spider]

kc04td.png

Lore:

2 level 4 "Arachnos" Monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from this card to declare a second attack during your Battle Phase this turn. As long as there is at least 1 Xyz material attached to this card, it cannot be destroyed as a result of battle. If this card has no Xyz materials attached to it during either player's Standby Phase, destroy it and Special Summon 1 "Arachnos Wolf Spider" Monster from your hand, deck, or graveyard.

A pretty simple card. It can attack twice by detaching a material, and is immune to destruction in battle while there's anything attached to it. Then when all its materials are used up, it's instantly downgraded to any Wolf Spider.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-008 Arachnos Blood Widow]

152jgg3.png

Lore:

FLIP: You can target 1 face-up "Arachnos" monster you control. The target monster's name and level become the same as this card's.

The Blood Widow allows you to set up quick R3 Xyz summons, enabling you to easily go for the Arachnos Night Widow and Arachnos Fortunata in particular. But it doesn't have much use beyond that.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-009 Arachnos Night Widow]

15ouuxs.png

Lore:

2 level 3 "Arachnos Blood Widow" Monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from this card to target 1 face-up Monster and change it to face-down Defence Position. If a Monster you control has its battle position changed by this effect, it cannot be attacked until your next End Phase. If this card's effect is negated, destroy it and Special Summon 1 "Arachnos Blood Widow" from your hand, deck, or graveyard.

The Night Widow can be used as a generic "Flip an enemy monster face-down" card, or if you flip one of your own monsters face-down, it can give you some quick protection, as well as recycle flip effects if they happen to have one. However if your opponent negates it, it gets downgraded back to a simple Blood Widow. I considered having the Blood Widow summoned face-down to be able to use its effect again, but that just seemed too easily abused.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-010 Arachnos Fortunata]

292kvgm.png

Lore:

2 level 3 "Arachnos Blood Widow" Monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from this card to destroy 1 face-down Monster your opponent controls. If this card's effect is negated, destroy it and Special Summon 1 "Arachnos Blood Widow" from your hand, deck, or graveyard.

I'm a little concerned that the Fortunata may be a bit overpowered, considering how easily she can be summoned due to the Blood Widow's effect. But I mostly intended for it to combo well with the Night Widow while not requiring it to be useful. Should I add some sort of extra cost to activate its effect?

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-011 Arachnobot Spiderling]

2ni8cv7.png

Lore:

This card is always treated as an "Arachnos" Monster. When a Machine type "Arachnos" Monster you control is destroyed as a result of battle, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. This card cannot be destroyed until after the End Phase of the turn this effect was activated.

Here we have the first of the Arachnobot monsters. It's a simple level 1 tuner that can Special Summon itself from the hand when another Arachnos machine is destroyed, and is safe from destruction during a turn it summoned itself so that it can survive long enough for you to Synchro something with it.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-012 Arachnobot Blaster]

vwpyzn.png

Lore:

FLIP: Target 1 level 4 or lower monster your opponent controls. As long as you control this face-up card, the target Monster cannot attack or change its battle position. If the target monster is destroyed and sent to the graveyard, you can destroy this card as well to deal 1000 damage to your opponent's Life Points. This card is always treated as an "Arachnos" Monster.

The Arachnobot Blaster locks down a single one of your opponent's low level monsters, and then damages them when the monster is destroyed. Pretty simple and not much to say.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-013 Arachnobot Disruptor]

vb71d.png

Lore:

FLIP: Target 1 face-down Spell or Trap your opponent controls. As long as you control this face-up card, the targeted Spell/Trap cannot be activated. Once per turn: You can add 1 "Arachnobot Spiderling" from your deck or graveyard to your hand. This card is always treated as an "Arachnos" Monster.

The Disruptor is sort of like a reverse of the Arachnobot Blaster, locking down a Spell or Trap instead. Though instead of having an effect to damage your opponent, the Disruptor has a once per turn effect to search out a Spiderling that you can spring from your hand if the Disruptor gets destroyed, or just normal summon it right away for a quick synchro.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-014 Arachnos Tarantula]

2u5ypl2.png

Lore:

If this card was Tribute Summoned using an "Arachnos Wolf Spider" or "Arachnos Bane Spider" Monster, you can target 1 non-Machine "Arachnos" Monster in your graveyard, or reveal 1 non-Machine "Arachnos" Monster in your hand. All "Arachnos" Monsters with the same name as that card become Machine type.

The Tarantula is a bit situational since it requires the tribute of a Wolf or Bane Spider to activate its effect, but it can be pretty useful when it does. It allows you to turn all copies of a card in your graveyard into Machine types, which can let you use some generic machine support with an other-wise non-machine monster, or it allows monsters that deal specifically with the Arachnos Machines like the Wolf Spider Tac Ops to have a wider range of targets.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=COH-015 Arachnos Tarantula Mistress]

xksz0y.png

Lore:

1 "Arachnobot Spiderling" + 1 non-Tuner "Arachnos" Monster
Once per turn during your opponent's Standby Phase: Reveal 1 card from the top of your deck. If it is an "Arachnos" Monster, Monsters your opponent controls with a level equal to or less than that card cannot attack this turn. If not, it is sent directly to the graveyard. When this card is destroyed and sent to the graveyard, you can Special Summon 1 level 3 or lower non-Machine "Arachnos" Monster from your hand, deck, or graveyard.

The Tarantula Mistress can provide a pretty simple lockdown on your opponent's monsters, preventing them from attacking for a turn if the top card of your deck happens to be a high level Arachnos monster (At the risk of losing the card if it's a non-Arachnos or Spell/Trap). And of course when destroyed, she has a downgrade effect, which lets you either go for the basic Wolf Spider to go for another Synchro, or the Blood Widow to go for a Rank 3.

[/spoiler][/Spoiler]

EDIT: Big-ish update! Added 2 new cards, and updated the rest to be less crappy. Hopefully they're somewhat playable now.

EDIT 2: Added 4 new cards: Arachnobot Blaster, Arachnobot Disruptor, Arachnos Tarantula, and Arachnos Tarantula Mistress.

I never played COH myself but I know someone who did. She was pretty bummed when the game was pulled but she recently discovered that one man is trying to get the game back up and running and he's making some promising progress. As for your cards, I like the synergy between them as I was told that these guys would usually show up in droves. I think you should give a little more to the Blood Widow other than just making her simple xyz fodder like maybe some kind of protection effect. Also, I don't think Fortunata is overpowered, she's just right don't change a thing about her.

With that being said I look forward to seeing more COH cards in the future.

Archived