My First Balanced Yugioh Card !

Fat Cat Ultim

Note : Constructive Criticism is welcome

Finally,after reading walls of text about balancing,I gave it a little spin and created this card.It's the first step into creating my own deck :

FIRST EDITION :

5dX2cn0.jpg

Text : This card gains 500 ATK for every Dragon-type monster in both player's Graveyards.

SECOND EDITION :

AsCojPM.jpg

Text : This card gains 500 ATK and DEF for every face-up Dragon-type monster you control.

THIRD VERSION :

AgPbgUl.jpg

Text : This card gains 200 ATK and DEF for every Dragon-type monste in your side of the field.

Another Note : I know that's not a dragon.

Welcome to "Learning to Balance Your Cards". Today's lesson: Realizing Your Card's Potential.

At first glance, this card seems to be a 1300/1600 Normal Monster. "That's odd," you'd think to yourself, "Aren't Normal Monsters with stats like this a thing of the past?" And to that, you're actually right. But read the card text - When flavour text sounds like something you'd see in a monster effect, it becomes rather showing that the maker has forgotten to make their card an Effect Monster.

Now, suppose it actually works as intended and has the effect. "A simple ATK boost doesn't seem so bad," you'd proceed to think. Yes, stat changes aren't too much of an issue in comparison to card advantage, and can be rather bland, but take note that this card draws ATK off the Graveyard - both Graveyards, in fact. What does this mean? With the relative ease in milling Dragons with Dragon Shrine and such, it's very easy to drop 2 Dragons into the Graveyard and give this card an impressive 1000 ATK boost off the bat. And this is assuming those are the only Dragons involved. The Dragon count can snowball fast as the game progresses, pushing this card above and beyond the usual stat expectations off a Level 4 monster.

There's another underlying issue regarding ATK: Due to Blue-Eyes setting the bar at 3000 for highest base ATK stat without needing to jump through hoops, and many LV4 monster having (a little) under 2000 ATK, once you enter the range between 2000-3000 ATK, the slightest bit of ATK boosts can make or break the difference between what it can defeat in battle without assistance. 500 ATK becomes rather significant once it enters this range, and it happens once a total of 2 or more Dragons have entered the Graveyard.

Late in the game, this becomes one incredible behemoth with no additional costs. Yes, it falls to removal, but being able to swing for massive damages without any restriction on how you can Summon it is what many monsters dream about. To balance this, I'd recommend you sharply reduce the boost to 200-300, so that you'd actually need effort to make this card reach monstrous scores.

Now this would see absolutely no play since there aren't too many great wind attributed dragon cards to my knowledge that really combine or are any good apart from tempest. It doesn't even open up any amazing wind synchro or xyz opportunities. The stat boost at two hundred it won't make much of game changer since it only has 2100 attack Max so make it so that either the boost is bigger or so that more triggers it. This is no longer balanced IMO.

Hope I was helpful if there are any good wind dragons that would make my comment seem silly I'm sorry ^^:

Keep in mind its effect also includes itself; so assuming you can keep a full field, it hits 2300 ATK.

While that's not bad for a Level 4 monster, keep in mind that common R4 Xyz can already make/exceed that amount with much less effort. 

Gadjiltron did suggest making the boost 200-300 per Dragon; might want to use the higher amount instead. At 300 per Dragon, it hits 2800 ATK with maximum effort, which essentially ties with common bosses. Either that, or you can retain the current one and buff its ATK to 1600 or something [it'll hit a max 2600 if you do it this way; which should be enough to hold its own against most things]. 

Simple stat boosting is nothing new, but it is a decent attempt at making a balanced card (at least on your 3rd attempt). It's a bit underpowered now, yes, but you can add some buffs to it if needed. 

Archived