The Gods of Lightning Awaken! New Mechanic and Generic Thunder Support

GalaxiaNight

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post, so bear with me. A while ago I got the idea for a new game mechanic while i was on DN. A guy tried to bottomless my Galaxy-Eyes after it returned to the field with it's efect, and I had to explain to him that my monster wasn't being "Summoned", so he coudn't use it. Well, I thought to myself, why not make an archetype out of monsters that dont' use summoning! I give you... Placing. Placing a monster on the field is something that happens with stuff like Interdimensional Matter Transporter, Galaxy-Eyes and other cards that "Return to the field". It's entirely diferent than a Summon, so you cant use Trap Holes, Solem cards or Horn counter traps. Now before you say "OP", let me explain. Almost all of them come with a heavy cost, that being that you cant Summon AT ALL when you place them. That means no Synch, Xyz or Fusion plays (for the most part) and no revival spells and traps. So needless to say no crazy combos for now, just focus on striking fast, and hitting hard. If these guys are well recieved I might even post their lore on the fanfic forums. All types of criticisms are apperiated.

[spoiler='Sparking']S9Xoe3T.jpg

If this card is flipped face-up during your opponent's turn, you can activate this effect: Add 1 Dark Thunder-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. If this card is flipped face-up during your turn, You can you can target one Dark Thunder-Type monster in your graveyard, place face-up on the field in Defense Position. If you activate either effect of this card's effects, you cannot Summon for the rest of the turn.

rS2vOjO.jpg

If this card is destroyed by battle, Special Summon up to 2 Thunder-Type monsters from your Deck with 1200 or less ATK in face-down Defense Position. while those monsters are on the field, you cannot Place any monsters on the field. If this card destroys a monster by battle, place Thunder Counters on the field equal to that monster's Level or Rank.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Crackling: Level 6-4']dzJ3HJe.jpg

Once per turn you can reveal this card in your hand and activate this effect: Place this monster face-up in a Monster Zone. You cannot Summon the turn you activate this effect. This gains 300 ATK for every Summoned monster on the field. You can only place one "Crackling" monster on the field per turn.

ranoCtd.jpg

Once per turn you can reveal this card in your hand and activate this effect: Place this monster face-up in a Monster Zone. During the turn this card was placed on the field, this card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. If this card destroys a monster as a result of battle, put one Thunder Counter on a face-up card on the field. You cannot Summon during the turn this card was placed on the field. You can only place one "Crackling" monster on he field per turn.

lCyxevn.jpg

Once per turn, if you Place a monster on your side of the field, you can place this monster from your hand onto the field in Defense mode. You can only control 1 "Ogre of Crackling Lightning". During the turn this card was placed the field, you can send this card and one other Thunder-Type monster you control to the Graveyard, then you can Place one Thunder-Type monster from your Extra Deck on the field in face-up Attack Position. While you control that monster, you cannot Summon.

xlo2ZvX.jpg

Once per turn you can reveal this card in your hand and activate this effect: Tribute 1 monster you control, and place this monster face-up in a Monster Zone. You can banish 1 Thunder-Type monster from your graveyard and add one Thunder-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Gol'Yah, Reacher of Crackling Lightning" once per turn. You cannot Summon monsters other than Thunder-Type monsters during the turn this card is placed on the field.

jEjdeCG.jpg

Once per turn you can reveal this card in your hand and activate this effect: Tribute 1 monster you control, and place this card face-up in a Monster Zone. When you'r opponent Summons a monster with less ATK then this card, you can decrease this card's attack by the ATK by that summoned monster's ATK, and if you do, destroy it. While you control this face-up monster, you cannot Place more than 1 card in a Monster Zone per turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Thunderous: Level 7 and Above']zVIe7gx.jpg

Once per turn you can reveal this card in your hand and activate this effect: Tribute 2 monsters you control, and place this card face-up in a Monster Zone. When this card leaves the field, Place Dark Thunder-Type monsters from your Graveyard onto the field who's Stars are equal to or less than this card's. You cannot declare an attack the turn you use this effect. You cannot Summon any monsters from your Hand or Graveyard while you control this face-up card.

1Ou7den.jpg

Once per turn you can reveal this card in your hand and activate this effect: Tribute 2 monsters you control, then place this card face-up in a Monster Zone. When this card is placed on the field: Destroy cards on the field equal to the number of Thunder-Type monsters placed on the field before this card this turn. You cannot Summon during the turn you place this card on the field. If this card is sent to your graveyard, place it on the field during your next End Phase.

u0uHP1p.jpg

Once per turn you can reveal this card in your hand and activate this effect: Tribute 2 monsters you control, and place this card face-up in a Monster Zone. Once per turn, during your turn, when a monster is placed on your side of the field: Draw 1 card. All Summoned monsters your opponent controls must attack this card, if able. You cannot Summon while you control this card.[/spoiler]

There are a few Spells and Traps too that are more geared towards Generic Thunder support, but they tell a story if you look carefully.

[spoiler='Spells']t6dVyjr.jpg

If you control a level 7 or higher Thunder-Type monster, destroy one Summoned monster on the field, and if you do, add 1 level 4 or lower Thunder-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.

boIgRnv.jpg

During your End Phase, if a Thunder-Type monster was destroyed this turn (either by battle or card effect), you can add one Dark Thunder-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only control 1 "Breath of the Tyrant".

3QjbTgT.jpg

Send one level 7 or higher Thunder-Type monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, and negate its effects while it is in the Graveyard. During either player's turn, except the turn this card was sent to the graveyard, you can banish this card from your Graveyard to Target one level 7 or higher Thunder-Type monster on the field and apply this effect: Destroy that monster, and if you do, place it face-up in a Monster Card Zone at the end of the Turn.

JrSrKI3.jpg

If you control a Thunder-Type monster, you can activate this card from your Hand on your opponent's turn. Return one Thunder-Type monster from your field to your hand, and if you do, destroy one card your opponent controls. You can only activate one "Primordial Thunder Shatter" per turn, and you cannot Summon during the turn you activate it.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Traps']kR0vqDi.jpg

Target one Thunder-Type monster you control and one monster your opponent controls with an equal or lower Level or Rank to your selected monster. Destroy them both, and if you do, it becomes the next Phase of the Turn Player's Turn. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this card's activation.

[/spoiler]

I plan on expanding this Archetype, but it's mostly small because of a lack of art. I like to have everything fit so to speak, and I couldn't really find much else. Hope you like it so far!

10/10 for creativity

the anti-summon effect, fairly low stat. and its exclusive species (DARK,Thunder-Type) is effective as restriction for prevent more advantage (which also make the archetype exclusive), although there is potential to be abuse since its DARK-Attributed (the Viruses since the stat amount is actually not very low...which easy to augmented,...ETC)

i concern about the Eye of the Storm... is a potential OP since according to the wording it can use any Thunder-Type which making it highly splash-able (if you want to keep this card effect as original as possible i recommend it require Dark,Thunder-Type or the archetype monster (via its name)... which making it exclusive to the archetype only), turn manipulation is 2nd most power-full effect in the game after instant win conditions. the fact that your opponent cannot respond to it

weakness: Mind Drain will shut this deck unique ability to fill the field presence and at worst you cannot play at all

i always highly exited to new mechanic like this :)

P.S for those who want to review: placing effect is not equal to cheating... as the creator has explain above, its a legal mechanic (additional evidence: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny_Board AND http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Spirit_Message_%22I%22 )

Edit Complete:

Thanks a bunch Re-Creator! Given me a lot to think about, an I'll be making edit imminently. With regards to Eye of the Storm, I do see how ppl might tech this in to stun super heavily with stuff like batterymen and even the 1 of Rai-Oh's. Ill be changing it to an archetype card with that Dark restriction. However I think the turn skipping effect is still rather balanced, as it will mostly be used as a T-Roar to skip any battle engagements. I will change the non-response part though, as having multiples of this would just get insane for stall decks, which is something I don't want this archetype to be.

Regards to Mind Drain, every deck's gotta have some kind of weakness right? The fact that these guys don't summon makes traditional methods of summon stopping (Vanities, Solemn, Summon Limit, etc.) null and void. Besides its nothing a good old MST cant fix. And you'll notice there's nothing preventing most of these guys from being Summoned normally.

• 2 weeks later...

"Placing" monsters on the field is actually an illegal mechanic based on yugioh mechanics.  Monsters have to be Summoned.  The only exception to this rule is monsters that are "returning" to the field from a different location (all the effects that I know of are from banished).  But let's ignore that fact, this site doesn't care.  

Before I review your mechanic, I also want to point out that simply a "placing" instead of Summoning mechanic is inherently OP as it grants immunity (and very, VERY significant resistance to Torrential Tribute) to Summon Reactive Traps:

-Solemn Warning

-Bottomless Trap Hole

-Torrential Tribute (significant resistance) 

Allows you to bypass locking cards (while having the same restriction on your opponent):

-Vanity's Emptiness

-Evilswarm Ophion

-Shaddoll Winda

Allows you to bypass any and all Summoning restrictions:

-Apoqliphort Killer

-Dark Armed Dragon

-Black Luster Soldier 

(All usable)

Raiju

During your turn, if this card is flipped face-up: You can target 1 DARK Thunder-Type monster in your Graveyard; place that target face-up in your Monster Card Zone in Defense Position as a Monster Card(this is not treated a Summon).  During your opponent's turn, if this card is flipped face-up: Add 1 DARK Thunder-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.  

Very useful effects, both of them.  I just want you to be aware that the Dark Creator can be "placed" onto your field via this card's effect.  Don't know if that bothers you at all.  Also I put in "(this is not treated as a Summon)" b/c I'm fairly certain Konami would put in something similar to that to avoid arguments between players.

Hunter

If this card is destroyed by battle: Special Summon up to 2 Thunder-Type monsters with 1200 ATK or less from your Deck in face-down Defense Position.  While those monsters Special Summoned by this effect are on the field, you cannot place any other monsters onto the field (Summoning is considered "Placing a monster onto the field").  If this card destroys a monster by battle: Distribute Thunder Counters equal to the Level/Rank of the destroyed monster among face-up cards.  

Since no card in Yugioh places monsters onto the field there is no ruling to base this off, so that means we have to go by the English Definition of "placing" and Summoning a monster in Yugioh would be considered "placing" according to the English Lang.  And with such a new mechanic Konami would be sure to state (this includes Summoning) as have I.  The SS effect is actually a huge liability.  Since you cannot Summon at all you cannot tribute the monsters for a tribute Summon, can't Synchro with them or even Xyz.  And if needed the opponent can just Summon a monster bigger than those two guys in DEF mode and not ATK and you're at your opponent's mercy when you can Summon/Place other monsters in the future.  Unless of course you have a way to destroy your Summoned monsters, but why Summon them if you plan on just using another card to destroy them?  It's mandatory too... So You can't just not use this effect.  The counter placing effect is good but since the ATK is only 1200 I don't see it ever placing more than 3 counters if you're lucky.  I would not use this card.  

Paladin

You can reveal this card from your hand; Place this card face-up in your Monster Card Zone as a Monster Card (this is not treated a Summon).  This card gains 300 ATK for every Summoned Monster on the field.  You can only place 1 "Crackling" monster onto the field per turn (Summoning is considered "Placing onto the field").  

This card would see play in any Rank 4 Deck that needs him.  In addition Kagetokage and Photon Thrasher...  That boost is a lot too, if opponent has 2 monsters and you Summon a monster after you place this.  He'll be at 2500, and he can't be hit by Bottomless, Torrential, or Solemn Warning.  See what I mean now?  Give it a simple effect and already it's borderline OP.   At least the restriction stops other Crackling monsters from being Summoned that I can appreciate.   

Sak'Ra

You can reveal this card from your hand; Place this card face-up in your Monster Card Zone as a Monster Card (this is not treated a Summon).  During the turn this card was placed onto the field, this card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each.  You can only place 1 "Crackling" monster on the field per turn (Summoning is considered "Placing onto the field").

Great effect.  Enough atk to clear the board of pesky small monsters.

Ogre

When you place a monster onto your side of the field (Summoning is considered "Placing onto the field"): You can Place this card face-up in your Monster Card Zone in Defense Position as a Monster Card (this is not treated a Summon).  During the turn this card was placed onto the field: You can send both this card and 1 other Thunder-Type monster you control to the Graveyard; Place 1 Thunder-Type monster face-up in your Monster Card Zone as a Monster Card from your Extra Deck in face-up Attack Position (this is not treated a Summon).  While you control that monster placed onto the field by this effect, you cannot Place any other monsters onto the field (Summoning is considered "Placing a monster onto the field").

You have some decent targets to get out.  Twin headed thunder dragon for beatsticks or Watts for annoyances.  The restrictions given to the earlier Crackling monsters or future Behemoth to be used with this card BTW.     

Gol'Yah

You can reveal this card from your hand and tribute 1 monster; Place this card face-up in your Monster Card Zone as a Monster Card (this is not treated a Summon). You can banish 1 Thunder-Type monster from your Graveyard; add 1 Thunder-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.  If you activate this effect, you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except Thunder-Type monsters.  You can only use this effect of "Gol'Yah, Reacher of Crackling Lightning".

This card can be used in ANY Thunder Deck.  Summon a Thunder, tribute it, Place this and Search (it's cost to summon correlates to giving it something to pay for a first search).  Batterymen can use this.  Normal 9Volt.  Search via 9Volt.  Reveal this, Tribute 9Volt and then Banish 9Volt and Search.  Not sure if you want other decks to use this card.  

Behemoth

You can reveal this card from your hand and tribute 1 monster; Place this card face-up in your Monster Card Zone as a Monster Card (this is not treated a Summon). When your opponent Summons a monster whose ATK is less than this card's ATK: You can have this card lose ATK equal to the ATK of the Summoned monster; destroy that Summoned monster.  While this card is face-up on the field, you can only Place 1 monster onto your Monster Card Zone per turn (Summoning is considered "Placing a monster onto the field").  

Slifer's Effect, but Nerf'd.  It's pretty powerful.  Seeing its much easier to bring out than Slifer it would definitely be used.  

Leviathan

You can reveal this card from your hand; Tribute 2 monsters you control, and if you do, Place this card face-up in your Monster Card Zone as a Monster Card (this is not treated a Summon).  You cannot Summon any monsters from your hand or Graveyard.  If this card leaves the field: Target any number of DARK Thunder-Type monsters in your Graveyard whose combined Level(s) are less than or equal to this card's; Place those monster(s) face-up in your Monster Card Zone as a Monster Cards (this is not treated a Summon).  You cannot attack the turn you activate this effect.

Very powerful effect.  The restrictions are adequate though I think.  However, I would like for you to not let this card Summon itself (lol did you notice that?)  If this card is sent to the Graveyard it can SS itself.  I'd fix that.  Oh and this card has CotH abuse, imagine.  opp activates MST, targets your CotH and you chain it, SS this and that'll trigger this guy :O 

Rak'Nar

You can reveal this card from your hand; Tribute 2 monsters you control, and if you do, Place this card face-up in your Monster Card Zone as a Monster Card (this is not treated a Summon).  When this card is Placed on the field (Summoning is considered "Placing a card on the field"): Target cards on the field, equal to the number of Thunder-Type monsters that were Placed onto the field this turn before this card was Placed onto the field; destroy those targets.  You cannot Summon during the turn you activate this effect.  If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Place this card from your Graveyard face-up in your Monster Card Zone as a Monster Card (this is not treated a Summon) during your next End Phase.  

He has a good Revival effect so that's nice.  It's impossible to Pop more than 1 card with all the given restrictions, if you SS him with a card Effect and have the right Setup you'll get 2 pops but that's it :|  I'd rather just use Leviathan, his effect is better and he has a better revival effect.  

O'Chaga

You can reveal this card from your hand; Tribute 2 monsters you control, and if you do, Place this card face-up in your Monster Card Zone as a Monster Card (this is not treated a Summon).  You cannot Summon monsters.  All Summoned monsters your opponent controls must attack this card, if able.   Once per turn, during your turn, if a monster is placed on your side of the field (Summoning is considered "Placing a monster on the field"): Draw 1 card.      

Great draw eff.  The must atk eff is uselss since your opp can atk your other, weaker monsters and then since they atk'd once already they'd no longer be able to atk.  Also opp can put their monsters in atk mode monsters in DEF mode, or just skip the BP to avoid battle.  But the draw eff makes this card worth using.

Tyrant

Activate only if you control a face-up Level 7 or higher Thunder-Type monster.  Target 1 Summoned monster on the field; destroy that target, and if you do, add 1 Level 4 or lower Thunder-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.  

Damn, pop a card and then search.  It's really easy to trigger too in your current Deck and Batterymen Decks...  It's OP, needs nerf

Breath

Replace the comma after "...Card Effect)..." with a colon and cap Y in "you".  Also lowercase B in "battle" C and E in "Card Effects" and Dark should be all cap like DARK.  

Damn, during either player's turn.  Works by battle so you can clash.  Works with CotH... Jeeze... These cards plus too hard man, too OP D:

Gosh Dangit!!! I gtg, WHen I'm back I'll finish this review.  

Archived