Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

OCG/PSCT Thread: Writing your card properly!

* * * * * 5 votes OCG PSCT Official Card Grammar Problem Solving Card Text

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit
  • Discord:Zaziuma#4720

So I was reading through and I can't really figure out if I've got this right. For a deck I'm making my monsters have 'During the End Phase: tribute this card then Special Summon 1 archtype monster from your deck,

Is this correct OCG and if I do not have targets remaining in the deck, do I still have to tribute for a cost-type scenario?

Yes, you would still have to Tribute. The way conjunctions work is that you still have to do the first part, even if you can't do the second part (except for "and" conjunctions), so you would still Tribute. Just to make your wording more correct, try this:

During the End Phase: Tribute this card, then Special Summon 1 "Archetype" monster from your Deck.

Black Temple Gaurdian

Black Temple Gaurdian

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • 307 posts
    Last Visit Mar 19 2016 04:01 PM
Pretty sure it'd be "During the End Phase: Tribute this card; Special..."

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

Pretty sure it'd be "During the End Phase: Tribute this card; Special..."

If it was a cost, yes, but it is worded as an effect, so the Tributing happens after the colon.

Black Temple Gaurdian

Black Temple Gaurdian

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • 307 posts
    Last Visit Mar 19 2016 04:01 PM
Given

Is this correct OCG and if I do not have targets remaining in the deck, do I still have to tribute for a cost-type scenario?

I was assuming it was meant to be a cost.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

Interesting little thing I think you should be noted if you intend on making Ritual Monsters, the "entire Tribute" effect has been re-worded, which is to make it clearer that the Ritual Spell Card doesn't have to Tribute them, simply use them in some way. Here's an example:

"If you Ritual Summon exactly 1 WATER Ritual Monster with a card effect that requires use of monsters, this card can be used as the entire requirement."

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

Just letting you people know that I have been updating this thread the last few days. Always be sure to check the OP's Update List for new stuff.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

I added a new section called Fusion Monsters and how to word them, go check it out!

Trebuchet MS

Trebuchet MS

Living Ghost

• Face-Down Untapped Position
  • 4,925 posts
    Last Visit Feb 08 2018 06:33 PM
  • Alias:Gadjiltron

Fusion Material requirements don't list the numbers for named materials.

MegaMan Battle Network series cards - Cards for Battle Network 1-6 present
Lunar Knights cards

I haven't really switched up my font to match my name. Let's correct that.

Contest Awards

Posted Image

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

Fusion Material requirements don't list the numbers for named materials.

Oh oops, I already knew that, not sure why I wrote the numbers. Fixing that ASAP.

Drearia

Drearia

If you know, you know.

• Otherworldly
  • 1,485 posts
    Last Visit Jul 22 2018 11:00 PM
  • Alias:Darkness/Carnage
So I got this effect for the Xyz monsters of an archetype I made, and they each have this sort of thing and not quite sure how to word it. I know my OCG well, it's just that the order and the multiple targets, etc has been stated to possibly be wrong, and I was suggested to ask here. The effect would be:

During either player's End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials, target any number of [Archetype] monsters you control, except [Itself] and if you do, pay 800 Life Points and [Some other effect]; attach the first targets to this card, [Resolution of "Some other effect"]

Lonely people burn like candles

Only we are clean

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

So I got this effect for the Xyz monsters of an archetype I made, and they each have this sort of thing and not quite sure how to word it. I know my OCG well, it's just that the order and the multiple targets, etc has been stated to possibly be wrong, and I was suggested to ask here. The effect would be:

During either player's End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials, target any number of [Archetype] monsters you control, except [Itself] and if you do, pay 800 Life Points and [Some other effect]; attach the first targets to this card, [Resolution of "Some other effect"]

During each End Phase, if this card has no Xyz Materials: Target any number of "Archetype" monsters you control, except "Card Name", then pay 800 LP, then some other effect; attach the first target this card as Xyz Materials, and if you do, some other effect.

I have a new thread which you can ask questions in too, I also added it to the OP:

http://forum.yugiohc...helping-center/

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

Updated the "Word List, Explanations and Usage List" with the word "during". The reason why there's only one is because it's a bit longer than normal explanations due to its extensiveness. This is also why I am making a new post for it.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

Updated this thing, I will hopefully start doing this more often once again, but no promises.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

An update in regards to copying effects. Now you want to say "replace this effect with that monster's original effects." See more in the word list.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

This post is part 2 of the Word List, Explanations and Usage List. The reason why this is here is because I used too much BBcode in the original post.

Last Updated:

03/10/18 at 20:05 CET

Word List

Edited by Zaziuma, 04 October 2018 - 01:05 PM.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

A little note that "At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card attacked or was attacked" has been changed to "If damage calculation is performed involving this card, at the end of the Battle Phase".

This is for cards like Gladiator Beasts, as it was unclear if you could use them if the attack was stopped before the Damage Step happend, for example with Fiendish Chain at attack declaration.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

I am starting to update this at least once a week now, and I have been doing so for a while now, just in case people aren't looking regularly. I updated today as well.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

New section called "33: Trap monsters and Pseudo-Trap monsters" added.

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Hollow Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Survivor
  • 9,060 posts
    Last Visit

Edited the "19: Bullet Holes and how to use them" section with some new/changed information. It mostly has to do with how having conditions and effects after the bullet hole is becoming much more common, and I previously said to not do so, but as it's happening more and more, I felt the need to change some of it.

M0B0X

M0B0X

Magistri Nihil

• Members
  • 69 posts
    Last Visit Aug 09 2018 05:14 AM
  • Discord:M0B0X#3783

I am sorry to bother you about this, but I am somewhat of a perfectionist and I noticed some small mistakes, mostly grammar/spelling, stuff like "Swift" instead of "Switch" and "example" instead of "exception". Also, I think you forgot about "While" I use that word on a lot of my cards, for example: "While this card is in your Graveyard, you take no effect damage".

Other than that, really good guide it hepled me a lot. I got 7/10 on the quiz, it was quite tricky =P

M0B0X_Tag_zpsizied7hq.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users