OCG/PSCT Tutorial: Learn How To Write Your Cards Properly!

Atypical-Abbie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A small update, instead of "your opponent's side of the field" you just says "your opponent's field" instead, and instead of "either side of the field" you say "the field" instead. I also assume there's "your field" and "each field" as well, but in case they are different, let me know.

Examples of cards that have changed this are Number 106: Giant Hand, Chimeratech Fortress Dragon and Flying "C":

During either player's turn, when a monster effect is activated on your opponent's field (except during the Damage Step): You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card, then target 1 Effect Monster your opponent controls; while this card is face-up on the field, that Effect Monster's effects are negated, also it cannot change its battle position.

Must first be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by sending the above cards from either field to the Graveyard. (You do not use "Polymerization".)

When your opponent Normal or Special Summons a monster(s), except during the Damage Step: You can Special Summon this card from your hand to the opponent's field in Defense Position.

Another small little change, Beatrice, Lady of the Eternal seems to change how monsters with alternate Summon methods are Summoned, now it's on the same line as its regular method, and also it has a slash before its other method. Here's the before and after:

2 Level 6 monsters
You can also Xyz Summon this card by sending 1 "Burning Abyss" monster from your hand to the Graveyard, then using 1 "Dante" monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.)

2 Level 6 monsters / You can also Xyz Summon this card by sending 1 "Burning Abyss" monster from your hand to the Graveyard, then using 1 "Dante" monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.)

• 3 weeks later...

Another small little change, Beatrice, Lady of the Eternal seems to change how monsters with alternate Summon methods are Summoned, now it's on the same line as its regular method, and also it has a slash before its other method. Here's the before and after:

2 Level 6 monsters

You can also Xyz Summon this card by sending 1 "Burning Abyss" monster from your hand to the Graveyard, then using 1 "Dante" monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.)

2 Level 6 monsters / You can also Xyz Summon this card by sending 1 "Burning Abyss" monster from your hand to the Graveyard, then using 1 "Dante" monster you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.)

How do you tell that this has to do with alternate Summoning methods at all? And not a method for conserving space?

It's not that the alternate Summoning method is on the same line as the regular methods. The regular method is in the same paragraph as the rest of the card text. There is no line break after the alternate Summoning method, nor is it the same font size as the regular method. Also, a slash flanked by spaces (" / ") is generally indicative of a line break.

Granted, the above doesn't mean much. But, I think it's too early to make this connection you have made, considering we have no other examples. Unless you have a better reason that you haven't shared?

How do you tell that this has to do with alternate Summoning methods at all? And not a method for conserving space?

It's not that the alternate Summoning method is on the same line as the regular methods. The regular method is in the same paragraph as the rest of the card text. There is no line break after the alternate Summoning method, nor is it the same font size as the regular method. Also, a slash flanked by spaces (" / ") is generally indicative of a line break.

Granted, the above doesn't mean much. But, I think it's too early to make this connection you have made, considering we have no other examples. Unless you have a better reason that you haven't shared?

Could be to converse space too, would explain why other cards from the same set don't also have that for the conditions too. I don't know why they wouldn't use it for all the cards though, since it is a way to safe space, they typically avoid making distinctions like that. If a change doesn't actually happen for real, I'll of course inform about that, for now I won't fault people who don't use this.

• 6 months later...

When do you capitalize "OR" as displayed in cards such as "Evolzar Laggia" or "Solemn Warning"

You no longer capitalise "or" in these cases. See newer cards like Majespecter Tempest or Solemn Strike.

The capitalised "OR" can appear in card texts such as those of Union monsters.

• 4 months later...

It's been quite a while since the last update, but here's something important for people who work with Union monsters because it changes quite a lot on them. I have added a new section added called "34: Union monster important update".

I of course am also going to update with Link Monsters when they come to the TCG and get proper PSCT, as right now it's a lot of guesswork on how they are suppose to be worded. Same goes for the whole Main Monster Zone and Extra Monster Zone, and I might even need to update a bit on Pendulum Monsters, since their zone is now works differently as well, but I haven't looked into that yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest 777c

I have trouble with PSCT, and I would like to know if the statement is correct OCG/PSCT:

Once per turn: if the opponent summons a monster, it has its effects negated also the summoned monster loses 600 ATK and DEF per Level.

I have trouble with PSCT, and I would like to know if the statement is correct OCG/PSCT:

Once per turn: if the opponent summons a monster, it has its effects negated also the summoned monster loses 600 ATK and DEF per Level.

Once per turn, if the your opponent Summons a exactly 1 monster: Negate its effect(s), also the Summoned monster loses 600 ATK and DEF x its Level.

Summoning a monster is still a condition that needs to be met, so it goes before the colon. Say exactly 1 if you want the effect to only work with 1 monster being Summoned, but use a monster(s) if you want it to work with any number of monsters being Summoned at the same time (e.g. Pendulum Summoning). Minor issue, capitalize after a colon (not a semicolon). Summoned and Summon are capitalized, we use x instead of per, also, commas are your friends. But in some cases you need to full stop and write a new sentence (not in this case). The effect negation I don't like as I feel it is too long, but best to get a second opinion on that.

Both "Once per turn" and "if your opponent Summons a monster" are part of the activation conditions for the effect, so they go before the colon (":"). (You refer to your opponent as "your opponent" in this case. "Summon" is always capitalised.)

For card effects that respond to a Summon, more than 1 monster can be Summoned at that time, so you have to specify whether it affects "that monster(s)" or only "1 of those monsters".

Typically, "also" is preceded by a comma.

For calculations involving Levels, you usually use the structure "... equal to its Level x [number]" or similar.

Example solutions:

• Once per turn, if your opponent Summons a monster(s): That monster(s) has its effects negated, also they lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level x 600.

• Once per turn, if your opponent Summons a monster(s): 1 of those monsters has its effects negated, also it loses ATK and DEF equal to its Level x 600.

Guest 777c

I am writing a new mechanic for my archetype "Lurker".  The new mechanic allows them to gain ATK and DEF equal to the number you said (between 1 and 10, inclusive) x some other number.  I am having trouble with OCG/PSCT due to the wording of my card.

Say a number between 1 and 10, inclusive. This card gains ATK and DEF equal to the number you said x 900, until the end of the turn. 

Am I supposed to say "until the End Phase" or until the end of the turn?

Is my OCG/PSCT grammar correct?

"Declare a number between 1 and 10 (inclusive); this card gains ATK and DEF equal to that number x 900 until the End Phase."

"End Phase" = When the phase starts, effect expires.

"end of the turn" = When the player ends the turn (and all effects resolve), the effect expires. 

Yeah, there are small differences between the two; start of the EP and the end of the entire turn after everything. Will need to check if the wordings are consistent, because I've seen more recent cards that vary. 

I am writing a new mechanic for my archetype "Lurker".  The new mechanic allows them to gain ATK and DEF equal to the number you said (between 1 and 10, inclusive) x some other number.  I am having trouble with OCG/PSCT due to the wording of my card.

Say a number between 1 and 10, inclusive. This card gains ATK and DEF equal to the number you said x 900, until the end of the turn. 

Am I supposed to say "until the End Phase" or until the end of the turn?

Is my OCG/PSCT grammar correct?

They're functionally different, but you should use "until the end of this turn" in this case. Certain types of effects, like those that temporarily switch control of a monster or some of those that temporarily banish a monster, tend to use "until the End Phase." Otherwise, card effects use "until the end of this turn" (or variations like "for the rest of this turn" in other certain cases). Most cards with effects that used to say "until the End Phase," but were later reprinted, have received errata to say "until the end of this turn" instead.

See cards like Dante, Traveler of the Burning Abyss on how to write number-choosing. Note though that all instances of "choose a number" seem to be related to effects that deal with cards on the top of a Deck, so it might be fine to use "declare a number" as well in this case; there isn't much precedent so neither should be incorrect (and neither is unclear). Depending on your choice, you might use "the declared number" to refer back to the chosen number when writing the effect resolution.

Also, notice that Dante's Ignition Effect is written with a semicolon (";"), whereas you have a full stop. See this article for what a semicolon in an activated effect means and determine whether or not you should be using one in this case (your design choice). If you decide not to use a semicolon, the full stop you currently have won't be clear enough as to how your effect functions as it resolves, so you'll have to use something like "and" instead. See a list of PSCT conjunctions and their meanings here.

"Declare a number between 1 and 10 (inclusive); this card gains ATK and DEF equal to that number x 900 until the End Phase."

"End Phase" = When the phase starts, effect expires.

"end of the turn" = When the player ends the turn (and all effects resolve), the effect expires. 

Yeah, there are small differences between the two; start of the EP and the end of the entire turn after everything. Will need to check if the wordings are consistent, because I've seen more recent cards that vary.

"Until the End Phase" means that the effect has to stop applying some time during the End Phase, not necessarily right when the End Phase begins. You choose to stop applying the effect similarly to how you choose to activate a Trigger Effect that activates "during the End Phase."

Guest 777c

I am still having trouble with PSCT/OCG regarding my archetype "Lurker" because my wording might be wrong:

Declare a number between 1 and 10 (inclusive); this card gains ATK and DEF equal to the declared number x 850 until the end of this turn. Once per turn, if your opponent Summons a monster(s): That monster(s) has its effects negated, also they lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 400.

• The semi-colon is an Ignition Effect, and I plan to use a period.  What will happen when the card effect resolves?

Is there something wrong with my card in terms of timing?

I am still having trouble with PSCT/OCG regarding my archetype "Lurker" because my wording might be wrong:

Declare a number between 1 and 10 (inclusive); this card gains ATK and DEF equal to the declared number x 850 until the end of this turn. Once per turn, if your opponent Summons a monster(s): That monster(s) has its effects negated, also they lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 400.

"Declare a number from 1 to 10." Number ranges are inclusive by default.

• The semi-colon is an Ignition Effect, and I plan to use a period.  What will happen when the card effect resolves?
Is there something wrong with my card in terms of timing?

The first effect is an Ignition Effect that's written with a semicolon, but the semicolon isn't an Ignition Effect.

Where do you plan to use the period?

I don't see any problems with timing. Both effects can conceivably be activated.

Guest 777c

I plan to use the period like this in order to make this effect in two parts:

• Declare a number between 1 and 10. This card gains ATK and DEF equal to the declared number x 850 until the end of this turn.
  • Once per turn, if your opponent Summons a monster(s): That monster(s) has its effects negated, also they lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 400.

Is there anything wrong with the timing in this case?

I plan to use the period like this in order to make this effect in two parts:

• Declare a number between 1 and 10. This card gains ATK and DEF equal to the declared number x 850 until the end of this turn.
  • Once per turn, if your opponent Summons a monster(s): That monster(s) has its effects negated, also they lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 400.
Is there anything wrong with the timing in this case?

Do you mean this one?

Declare a number between 1 and 10. This card gains ATK and DEF equal to the declared number x 850 until the end of this turn.

I strongly suggest using a semicolon in this case. It reads much better than any other solution, probably works better with other effects, and is essentially the same as you choosing the number when the effect resolves in practice. If you choose not to, I don't think a full stop is sufficiently clear. I provided alternatives in my last post.

"Timing" can refer to multiple different things and doesn't mean much by itself. You'll have to be more specific. What exactly are you concerned about?

Guest 777c

Once per turn, if your opponent Summons a monster(s): That monster(s) has its effects negated, also they lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 400.

The colon starts a chain.

Let

• A = That monster(s) has its effects negated
  • B = they lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 400.

A also B

If the opponent summons “Dark Magician”, let’s see what happens:

Dark Magician is a Normal Monster, so A would not activate, this means B would not activate.

I am concerned with the understanding of this effect in terms of timing. Is the explanation correct?

Once per turn, if your opponent Summons a monster(s): That monster(s) has its effects negated, also they lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 400.

The colon starts a chain.

Let

• A = That monster(s) has its effects negated
  • B = they lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 400.
A also B

If the opponent summons “Dark Magician”, let’s see what happens:

Dark Magician is a Normal Monster, so A would not activate, this means B would not activate.

I am concerned with the understanding of this effect in terms of timing. Is the explanation correct?

(The colon doesn't start a Chain; in this case, it denotes an activated effect. Activated effects create a Chain Link when they activate, but they don't necessarily start a Chain. They might be activated as Chain Link 2 or higher, in which case they just add a Chain Link to an existing Chain.)

A and B themselves don't activate. The entire effect itself activates. This creates a Chain Link. When the effect resolves, you apply that which includes A and B.

If your opponent Summons Dark Magician, the effect in question must activate if possible since it doesn't say "you can". When it resolves, you determine how much of it, A and/or B, you apply.

"A, also B" means that even if A doesn't happen, you still do B. They're considered to happen at the same time.

("A, and if you do, B" means that if A doesn't happen, you don't do B. They're considered to happen at the same time.)

So in your example scenario, Dark Magician will still lose ATK and DEF.

So you may have seen some of the changes to the PSCT in the new Starter Deck Links, there will probably be more to come, and I won't be changing anything until we get the whole set released. Anyway, the changes are quite a big deal, those being:

You no longer need to say -Type after each Type. So for example, Dragon-Type monster becomes Dragon monster. Of course, this can make it a little confusing when it comes to Archetypes, just remember that Archetypes are in quotes, so "Warrior" monster is not the same as Warrior monster.

Graveyard has become GY. This is similar to how Life Points became LP, not much else to say, you use it the same way as before.

Seems like cards may start to omit the "this card" part from effects that pertain to itself, Decode Talker says this now: "Gains 500 ATK for each monster it points to."

Quick Effects are now worded differently. Instead of saying "during either player's turn", you say something like this: "When your opponent activates a card or effect that targets a card(s) you control (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 1 monster this card points to; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card." It's probably assumed that effects that include the (this is a Quick Effect) at the end of the effect are similar, such as Effect Veiler: "During your opponent's Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard, then target 1 face-up Effect Monster your opponent controls; that face-up monster your opponent controls has its effects negated until the end of this turn."

Guest 777c

So you may have seen some of the changes to the PSCT in the new Starter Deck Links, there will probably be more to come, and I won't be changing anything until we get the whole set released. Anyway, the changes are quite a big deal, those being:

You no longer need to say -Type after each Type. So for example, Dragon-Type monster becomes Dragon monster. Of course, this can make it a little confusing when it comes to Archetypes, just remember that Archetypes are in quotes, so "Warrior" monster is not the same as Warrior monster.

Graveyard has become GY. This is similar to how Life Points became LP, not much else to say, you use it the same way as before.

Seems like cards may start to omit the "this card" part from effects that pertain to itself, Decode Talker says this now: "Gains 500 ATK for each monster it points to."

Quick Effects are now worded differently. Instead of saying "during either player's turn", you say something like this: "When your opponent activates a card or effect that targets a card(s) you control (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 1 monster this card points to; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card." It's probably assumed that effects that include the (this is a Quick Effect) at the end of the effect are similar, such as Effect Veiler: "During your opponent's Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard, then target 1 face-up Effect Monster your opponent controls; that face-up monster your opponent controls has its effects negated until the end of this turn."

I am concerned because my card effects won't be worded properly according to the Starter Deck Links:

• Once per turn, if your opponent Summons a monster(s): That monster(s) has its effects negated, also they lose ATK and DEF equal to their own Level/Rank x 300.
  • Declare a number between 1 and 10; this card gains ATK and DEF equal to the declared number x 850 until the end of this turn.

I need clarification on this.

Archived