Weeaboos

宇佐見 蓮子@C94

Lemme start off by saying that I absolutely despise the term "Weeaboo" or any other variation for other countries. For those who don't know, Weeaboo is some kind of blanket term applied to people who want to be Japanese, or want to live in Japan, kinda synonymous with Otaku but for the more obsessed people.  

Personally, I would like to live in Japan, or at least study there. Whenever I say that though, people call me a weeb. I do have my reasons to live in Japan that goes beyond "ooh they have anime", such as the fact that the Japan is literally better than mine in every single way that might effect my living. That may sound like I'm being a major weeb, but when I look at it objectively, it's pretty damn true.

So yeah. Discuss weeaboos. Or Wapanese. Or Naruto fans, whatever. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never actually been called a Weeaboo. The term "Weeaboo" is one of the most stupid terms ever. What the hell does it even translate to? I see that word and I think of a Ghost having a Piss.

I would love to visit Japan and soak up its culture. Also get to hang out at various Cosplay coventions and meet like minded people. Also one of my Dreams is to be served by a Japanese Maid and be called "Master"

But yeah, I am not as obsessive as to see something like a Dog in a Cow Costume and quote "KAWAII! DESU!" Or something along those lines. 

I'm a second year Japanese student at my uni and it takes more than Naruto fandom to get you very far. I don't care if people want to go to Japan because of anime and the like, because they might actually go one day. That's good, economically and culturally (even if it is a little like a double edge sword) for Japan. I enjoy seeing people here who consider other things and take serious consideration of issues and reasons to want to go or live in Japan. That is a choice you have and if you do it responsibly rather than impulsively, all the power to you. If you seriously consider a vested interest in Japan and your scope is limited to a little more than anime, try researching areas, histories, economies, jobs, culturally different regions, and other topics to develop a more real-world interest besides the anime and Akihabara.

For example, I personally dream of going to the Sapporo Snow Festival. I think though, that's primarily because I romanticize it in my mind but who doesn't~ Maybe, I don't have as much authority to speak on this subject as I'd like but if you like something, just expand your view of it so maybe you find a little bit more to love.

I'm pretty indifferent about the term, and I think I actually used it for the first time the other day, but it's just another insult at people's ignorance of something, we've already got tons of those.

But it isn't.  90% of the time it really doesn't mean anything.  People just use it to mean either a) anime enthusiasts, or b[B][/B]) people who like anime more than they do. 

The word has no concrete definition.  People just decide what they think is unacceptable levels of fandom, and that's a weaboo.  This could be anywhere from owning dakimakuras to collecting figures to using anime characters as their avatar on the internet. 

But yeah, I am not as obsessive as to see something like a Dog in a Cow Costume and quote "KAWAII! DESU!" Or something along those lines. 

Now I want to get a cow costume for my dog.....

But anyway. It seems this term, like many many others, has become really overused. As Tenta said, I've seen people being called a Weeaboo for having an anime character avatar. There are some people who take it a bit far, and it can be annoying. The kind who refuse to do anything not "Japanese-style" (Or rather, butchered anime Japanese style.). But even that, while it can get on my nerves, is just their choice. As long as it doesn't cause any harm, I have no problem with it.

I think the word weeaboo is starting to come around. As of right now there are two versions and definitions of it. The first one is the obsessive one, like we all know and love. And the second is the self aware anime nerd. It all boils down to "Anime is awesome and I want to live in Japan!" and "Anime is really embarrassing, but I can't stop watching, I'm in too deep."

Now otaku, there's a word to get offended by.

I haven't been called a weeaboo either, though I vaguely remember acting like one during early grade school (pretty much pretending to make up writing and other stuff).

But otherwise, I see the term as just another word for nerd (for Japanese things, similar to otaku [but milder]) or just someone who thinks they know the language/culture better.

One of the things on my bucket list is to visit Japan.

Granted, one of the reasons I want to go is for anime things, but also because some of the things in their culture are fascinating to me. (And also another reason why I actually want to learn the language, which I am learning, but currently to a limited extent.)

Oh and BTW, even though I'm using a pic of Sakura (along with her name) over here, I'm not as interested in the Naruto series nowadays; considering it's reaching the end (and also due to massive filler).

Yo if you thought you were gonna just go to Japan because you think it's an anime paradise...

I'm a second year Japanese student at my uni and it takes more than Naruto fandom to get you very far. I don't care if people want to go to Japan because of anime and the like, because they might actually go one day. That's good, economically and culturally (even if it is a little like a double edge sword) for Japan. I enjoy seeing people here who consider other things and take serious consideration of issues and reasons to want to go or live in Japan. That is a choice you have and if you do it responsibly rather than impulsively, all the power to you. If you seriously consider a vested interest in Japan and your scope is limited to a little more than anime, try researching areas, histories, economies, jobs, culturally different regions, and other topics to develop a more real-world interest besides the anime and Akihabara.

Your parade just got Rained on.

you're welcome

The term IS rather stupid, though I'm more concerned for the people using japanese honorifics because hurr durr japanese cartoons do than I am for the use of the word.

Raine you continue to be amazing

and similar to me in some ways

I want to go to Japan and learn Japanese, I do. The culture is a very enjoyable one all around, and the history especially. I'm a bit limited in my knowledge of it, however.

I want to see Kyoto, so badly. 

I actually wanted to visit Japan and Europe for the longest time, and funny enoguh not at all for anime reasons.

During highschool years, I had to do a Project on areas you would vacation to for 6 months and I did my studies on Japan, and as such have been vastly interested in their culture/sights/community and what not. I wanted to go there and drink in their culture, learn new things, get to know people in Japan e.t.c. I mean sure anyone can say they are going there because "games!!!!11 anime!!!! cosplay so coolz!!!" or whatever (and I have nothing against people who are only interested in going for those reasons alone), but I could never understand why you would go to a new place and not try to understand what the culture is like and not only intake what you know about the setting just based on general media.

At my university, one particularly stupid individual called my friends and I "weaboos" because we're currently taking Japanese classes.

To be honest, I started taking classes for the language because I wanted to understand what Hatsune Miku was saying in her songs. But, as I continued to learn about the language, I also got to make friends with the Japanese exchange students, and I began to learn more about their culture, their way of doing things, and their point of view. Now, my desire to learn Japanese has changed, and now that I wish to learn it for academic purposes, I feel a lot more purpose behind it.

I'm planning on foreign exchange this summer; even though I really want to see the cherry blossoms, I'll unfortunately be too late for that, so I'll probably settle with visiting Mt. Fuji, and some of the historic shrines.

I may be an anime fan, but it's not fanatic enough to warrant being called a "weaboo." I know that some things need restraint; things are always good in moderation.

At my university, one particularly stupid individual called my friends and I "weaboos" because we're currently taking Japanese classes.

To be honest, I started taking classes for the language because I wanted to understand what Hatsune Miku was saying in her songs. But, as I continued to learn about the language, I also got to make friends with the Japanese exchange students, and I began to learn more about their culture, their way of doing things, and their point of view. Now, my desire to learn Japanese has changed, and now that I wish to learn it for academic purposes, I feel a lot more purpose behind it.

I'm planning on foreign exchange this summer; even though I really want to see the cherry blossoms, I'll unfortunately be too late for that, so I'll probably settle with visiting Mt. Fuji, and some of the historic shrines.

I may be an anime fan, but it's not fanatic enough to warrant being called a "weaboo." I know that some things need restraint; things are always good in moderation.

Oddly enough, this is also my reason to wanting to take a class in learning Japenese and studying kanji. For one I wanted to know some of the terms behind the songs of popular Japenese bands I liked, but also because I was honestly in awe of the Japenese culture and wanted to socialize with new people in their native toungue should I ever get to that point. People calling people weaboos is entirely unethical, and it is worse when someone does it whenever you even mention Japan.

Not to mention some of the best games are japanese only

and manga is all the easier to read

Anime is going to be a different story, because one thing taking Spanish taught me is that learning a written form of a language is a lot easier than understanding it when spoken/trying to speak it.

Japanese has a lot of other practical uses for me as well.

Not to mention some of the best games are japanese only
and manga is all the easier to read
Anime is going to be a different story, because one thing taking Spanish taught me is that learning a written form of a language is a lot easier than understanding it when spoken/trying to speak it.

I would think that they were referring more to languages with alphabets than languages with characters.

Oddly enough, this is also my reason to wanting to take a class in learning Japenese and studying kanji. For one I wanted to know some of the terms behind the songs of popular Japenese bands I liked.

Aren't there lyrics you can find online?

I would think that they were referring more to languages with alphabets than languages with characters. Aren't there lyrics you can find online?

I mean yes, but it isn't exactly the same as hearing the words and actually following along with the band/singers voice and understanding it right?

Archived