An Imperial Survey of the RP Section: Values

Aix

Your Kaiser commands you!  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What do you value most in a roleplay?

• Freedom.
    • An engaging plot.
    • An interesting premise/setting.
  2. 2. What would you prefer a roleplay to focus on? Note that a focus on one thing does not mean the RP lacks the other things.

• Action - opportunity for your character(s) to actually do things.
    • Character development - opportunity to develop your character(s).
    • Interaction - opportunity for your character(s) to interact with others' characters.
  3. 3. What's most important to you/what do you think of first when you create a character?

• Personality
    • Identity/Backstory
    • Powers/Abilities

Once again, our RP-sections fearless leader manages to conjure yet another impeccable idea to our individual and collective worlds a slightly more fascinating place complete with RP psych-analysis that can be exploited into producing more appealing/pandering RP OoCs. A+ for Aix. 

Asking the tough questions, good stuff here.

So public poll and all but guess for discussion's sake I'll explain my reasoning behind my votes.

For number one I picked the interesting premise/setting. There has to be something about the OoC thread that hooks you in and catches your interest. This doesn't necessarily reflect how the host will perform in terms of engaging me which would have been my second choice on the matter. But if from the start I'm bored there's very little chance I'll want to put in the work on making an app. But really I've found that those who are good at making the premise appealing to you generally are at least decent at keeping the plot engaging.

For number two I picked interaction because really that's what RPing to me is all about. Now I love action and the idea of character development is really appealing but that all stems out of interacting with the people around me. I know about the other characters from information provided in the application but you still never really know what talking with a character will be like until you're in the thing doing it. The other players are the unknowns to the story and keep things exciting.

Number three was hard because I've started apps with all of the choices in the past. But I went with personality and I think that's what is generally more on my mind when I start now. Well really powers and abilities are a close runner up because sometimes the concept behind a power drives the whole of the character's creation for me. So I guess abilities tend to come to mind first but the personality is really the most important part of the app and I tend to make sure it's done before the bio. You need to know how your character is going to react to things and how they think on the whole to really play them well.

Bad thing is...the only part of the Poll I can truly pick one and go with is the last part...cause I do go for Identity/Backstory first.

Everything else...I honestly feel is needed in RPs...Action, Character Development, and Interaction...well you have to have that in order for anything to grow. IMO, they seem to be key components in the RPs I've seen, since most require Interaction, at which point..at certain times you could slide in C.D. and even action when the time comes.

As for the value in an RP...the same thing. If the plot isn't engaging as well as the setting, the RP may not go so well...and if your not letting the RPers have any freedom (within the realms of your power and rulings), they'll become just cookie cutters and pawns of the RP just following the satire.

Honestly, this is how I see this...so yeah.

I guess I shouldn't have voted and ran now that I think about it. ^^''

For the first section, I went with an engaging Premise/Setting. It was a close call between that and plot for me, but honestly with MOST RP's, the participants only know a small portion of it ahead of time. We might have the general idea, but I feel like that falls more under the premise of the RP then the actual plot. And honestly, I've seen some really basic RP's that didn't have much of a plot, but were still fun because of the setting/character interactions and things of that sort. So while a good plot really helps, I feel like that comes over time and isn't as important to hook someone into an RP as it is to keep them interested.

For the second set, I went with character interaction. Personally, if the characters are NEVER going to interact with each other, I see absolutely no reason for it to be an RP rather than a fan fiction/story or something. For me, a lot of the fun from an RP comes from how characters interact and adjust to one another, especially over long time periods. This was why I was really interested in Aix's Fiore RP when it was still accepting, and while I didn't make an application, it was the closest to attempting one I had come in a long time.

The third one was an easy choice for me, but only because I like to see how characters interact and personality is a major part of that. Backstory can be really interesting, but what it really does most of the time is provide information on how that character's personality became what it is. The backstory may or may not ever come into play, while the personality certainly will. I love seeing characters interact, and seeing different personalities have to mesh is a huge part of that.

Just my two cents on the subjects. My opinions are in no way fact, just wanted to post something in the thread. ^^''

Archived