A Look Into YCM's History - A Request of Sorts

goddamnit names are a pain

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies, I really only skimmed the second half of this, once I realized how long it was. I suppose the point I was trying to make though, is that I don't really have anything that stands out to me that I want to do. Programming might be the closest I've come to anything of the sort, but it all still just feels like work to me. Most things do, honestly. Even most of the video games I play, which used to be my major interest and time sink, have started to feel the same way. Just another thing I need to get done, and then move away from once I've finished it. As with school and my games both lately, I'm good at both of them, but I don't get much satisfaction out of either anymore. My problem is that nothing can hold my interest for very long.

There were no golden days in YCM.  Sure, there has been higher quality, but I've been here almost as long as you have.  I lurked for a year before joining.  This place has always been a mess.

Agreed with this. I joined around the same time as the start of YCM's supposed 'Golden Age'. It wasn't. I may have had fun during my stay, but the place was always a mess. In a different way than it is now, sure. Certain problems from back then have been remedied, while others have cropped up in their absence. And of course, some others were just ignored completely, and continue to sit there. Slowly sapping away at everyone's worthless Internet lives.~

Apologies, I really only skimmed the second half of this, once I realized how long it was. I suppose the point I was trying to make though, is that I don't really have anything that stands out to me that I want to do. Programming might be the closest I've come to anything of the sort, but it all still just feels like work to me. Most things do, honestly. Even most of the video games I play, which used to be my major interest and time sink, have started to feel the same way. Just another thing I need to get done, and then move away from once I've finished it. As with school and my games both lately, I'm good at both of them, but I don't get much satisfaction out of either anymore. My problem is that nothing can hold my interest for very long.

Agreed with this. I joined around the same time as the start of YCM's supposed 'Golden Age'. It wasn't. I may have had fun during my stay, but the place was always a mess. In a different way than it is now, sure. Certain problems from back then have been remedied, while others have cropped up in their absence. And of course, some others were just ignored completely, and continue to sit there. Slowly sapping away at everyone's worthless Internet lives.~

You should read it properly, because it's worth it.

Regardless, the point is that you may want to put some effort into sampling what life has to offer - you may find a passion you had no hope of expecting. Have you traveled at all?

You should read it properly, because it's worth it.

Regardless, the point is that you may want to put some effort into sampling what life has to offer - you may find a passion you had no hope of expecting. Have you traveled at all?

At least in terms of schooling, I've tried out just about everything there is at one point or another, in hopes of finding a career path I'd enjoy. And again, there was really only the one option that came remotely close.

I have travelled somewhat. Not off of the North American continental area (the furthest I've been was the caribbean), but it didn't matter anyway. Travelling doesn't interest me much. After more than a few days on just about any vacation, I just simply find myself wishing I were back home.

It's just an awful paradox for me. I feel stagnated in my current routine, and like I'm not really enjoying anything anymore. But at the same time, whenever I do go out and try something, I just end up wanting to get out of it and go back to my routine. I've always been a creature of habit, and I honestly don't think that that is going to change at this point. It's during time periods where I don't have a routine (summer especially) where I end up feeling the worst, and the most depressed about my situation. At least during the rest of the year, I have a consistent schooling schedule to occupy my time, and keep my mind relatively out of regions of thought I try not to dwell upon.

We should definitely talk about the problem you're having. It's something I was dealing with for years. I mean, I had my own periods of depression for a while, too, and I was fortunate enough to recently find out what I want to do. There would be very much to recall given all that has happened in the last few years, but your situation is one I can relate to very personally. I never saw my mother get so close to giving up on me about this kind of thing, either.

Anyway, it's open if you like.

Kind of like her arms
|
|
V

• 2 months later...

Anyway, I actually have a sappy word document with a list of people I knew from Organization XIII so that I wouldn't forget anyone:

Zexaeon/Thomas

Phantom Roxas/Patrick

Larxene/Tyler "Logic is my b****."

Nexev

Davok

Mineku/Xaru

Skuldur/Riku/Alucard

Byakuya/James

Sleevecard

Xirno

Marly/Sakuya

Luxlord

Solus Shade/Eros/Dorian

Zeonark/Cherry

Madchurro

Clair/Jaelin

Coyote Starrk

ProtoMachineEmperor

Shadow Zero

Miranda

BrokenHeart15

Fenrir

Ice

You may know some the people on this list. I know I've seen some of them still around.

Aw I was included in this <3

Always great to see you around tumblr these days, Amethyst. I'm sorry I'm so spacey with messages there.

As for history, I was a tiny, tiny child in many of these historical events and observed them, but didn't know what was really going on. I joined in 2008, I was 12, 13, 14, 15, naive, pretty gross, and also extremely willing for anything. I think I just enjoyed being liked by the masses, but I did genuinely adore the people I got to know here. I felt protected by some and learned a lot from others. 

I just remember making one side-forum, being a part of a few other side-forums made by other members here, and giving Larxene my highest regards. Luv you, but I don't think you remember much of me.

Good times. Cute times.

If anyone remembers details, please share with me. I'm blanking. And also sad that I don't recognize some of you, but know there were connections there. So lemme know what the connection was, if you'd like.

I'm 18 now, I attend the University of Oregon, and I'm pursuing two degrees that'll lead me to become an entertainment agent, unless I can land success in the creative side of film. I'm way different than before, as it should be. College pushes you forward in unimaginable ways. If anyone wants to get in touch, I'd rather not come back to this site and come back to my past with it either, since I've moved on significant amounts and have a lot going on outside of the internet.

But personally, we can get in touch via tumblr, facebook, twitter, etc.

Aw I was included in this

Always great to see you around tumblr these days, Amethyst. I'm sorry I'm so spacey with messages there.

As for history, I was a tiny, tiny child in many of these historical events and observed them, but didn't know what was really going on. I joined in 2008, I was 12, 13, 14, 15, naive, pretty gross, and also extremely willing for anything. I think I just enjoyed being liked by the masses, but I did genuinely adore the people I got to know here. I felt protected by some and learned a lot from others. 

I just remember making one side-forum, being a part of a few other side-forums made by other members here, and giving Larxene my highest regards. Luv you, but I don't think you remember much of me.

Good times. Cute times.

If anyone remembers details, please share with me. I'm blanking. And also sad that I don't recognize some of you, but know there were connections there. So lemme know what the connection was, if you'd like.

I'm 18 now, I attend the University of Oregon, and I'm pursuing two degrees that'll lead me to become an entertainment agent, unless I can land success in the creative side of film. I'm way different than before, as it should be. College pushes you forward in unimaginable ways. If anyone wants to get in touch, I'd rather not come back to this site and come back to my past with it either, since I've moved on significant amounts and have a lot going on outside of the internet.

But personally, we can get in touch via tumblr, facebook, twitter, etc.

You are in Oregon? I go to Linfield College just north of you in McMinnville. O.O

Also, I remember Organization XIII. Got banned twice from it. o.o

anyone remember and know what happened to the DeMeNTuO who later became Selectia or something thing?

he constantly won card contests and 1v1s and i think he was the first member to reach 1k reps

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/42671-╬「selatcia」╬/

that guy

i honestly think something bad happened to him since he was always active and suddenly he dissapeared and never came back

anyone remember and know what happened to the DeMeNTuO who later became Selectia or something thing?

he constantly won card contests and 1v1s and i think he was the first member to reach 1k reps

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/42671-╬「selatcia」╬/

that guy

i honestly think something bad happened to him since he was always active and suddenly he dissapeared and never came back

I was always curious about what that guy's story was. Because he had 1000 reps back when people wrote comments with reps, so that was a much bigger accomplishment than it is nowadays.

I don't suppose he has any connection with the current Dementuo.

I think he got bored with the site in general, so he left.

That, or real life got the better of him.

But I certainly know who he was, and indeed he was the first person to hit 1K reps (and was the only one who had done so, for quite some time).

Won quite a bit of card contests, and likely had the same activity in the regular Custom Cards section.

DeMeNTeD, not Dementuo. He disappeared one day.

Oh you mean the guy that took part In a load of Contests with a pool of like 3 or 4 cards he created, winning almost every time. This is why I always believed a Contest Entry should be fresh and not sloppy seconds.

Actually put me off deigning for contests for a while.

Let's be honest.

When I left near the end of 2011, I didn't exactly intend to come back at all. 

Never made a departure message; just logged out and didn't open this site until end of September 2013. 

So yeah, Demented might return one day; hey, we had Dark and some other veterans return, so anything is possible. 

Account is still open, so he's more than welcome to return. 

---

As for his cards, he probably did have more than whatever he used, but we just never saw them. 

• 4 weeks later...

YCM: A Partial History

Chapter 0: Pre-History

Call me Exiro. Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no Duel Points in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me, I thought I would surf about a little and see the Yu-Gi-Oh! part of the web. It is a way I have of driving off the boredom.

Yeah, no, this isn't working. Take two.

During the spring of 2007, I decided there should be something like a Yu-Gi-Oh! card maker. I googled exactly that and to my great surprise, I found that it did, in fact, exist. That is the story of how I found this place. I registered, looked around on the forums, saw something to do with a person called "God Kaze," someone else called "God GAK," and the concept of following in someone else's footsteps, or something of the like. I quickly left, because none of what I saw interested me.

Chapter 1: The Crab Helmet saga
Near the end of that same year, there was an influx of GameFAQs users migrating to this place, many of whom brought trolls and elitism with them. Some of the migrants: Chaos Pudding, b7hamma, Xander, RedSceptile, PikaPerson and Gravitize Me Cap'n!.

But the most controversial of these figures, of course, was Crab Helmet. His excessive trolling got him banned, but after that ban was lifted, something peculiar began to happen. Their elitism never faded, but the GameFAQs people started making genuine posts and their contributions became more and more serious. Crab Helmet was one of these people, and although there was still a bias against him at first, his jests, wit, and Wilford Brimley impersonations started turning his reputation around, and his popularity ultimately exploded. He participated in humour as well as serious debates, in general as well as Yugioh-related conversations, in important as well as less important matters, but whatever he did, he showed people how to do it the right way; he really came to be an example. Who was once the most hated person on the forum would soon be a super moderator.

Perhaps the most noteworthy thing about Crab Helmet is that he always encouraged people to think for themselves. He would play the devil's advocate and intentionally argue for implausible things, purely to encourage people to fully articulate their views. He would make the lesser argument seem the stronger. He'd pose questions like: "Sparks is fine, Ookazi is fine, but where do we draw the line?" But there was one problem. Although his intention was to teach people critical thinking skills, his debating skills were simply /too/ exceeding. One would almost think him capable of convincing you Watapon to be a broken card. People stopped questioning him, and he soon rose up to a level of authority reminiscent of that of Aristotle during the Dark Ages.

Crab Helmet caught on to this and decided to take advantage of it. He created a custom ban list that made no sense whatsoever, making limitations that seem completely arbitrary, and then presented it as the best list created so far. And indeed, everyone fell for it and praised him for his nonsense list. He was also willing to provide clarifications on any of his choices when people asked for it, and he was somehow able to convince the skeptics that they were, in fact, good choices. After that came the big reveal: he made a follow-up thread in which he explained that it was a nonsense list made to test people. He ridiculed us for agreeing with him, and the one dissenter - a guy of Pojo origins called hotfoilcard - was ridiculed even more because he disagreed for all the wrong reasons. Through his brilliant reasoning, Crab Helmet ultimately argued him to be "less reliable than the toss of a coin". Lots of fun was had.

Chapter 2: The Pharaoh Atem saga
After this big event, people were really forced to think twice before posting something. Posting quality skyrocketed, and at one point, this place became worthy of the one Pharaoh Atem's visitations. This was the TCG section's golden age. For a while, it was not uncommon to see yards-long posts by either Crab Helmet or Pharaoh Atem, refuting everyone in a thread who was wrong. No events of particular interest occurred during this period, but the high standards and the sheer eloquence with which views were propounded made it ever so pleasant to reside at this digital vicinity. Ultimately, this forum was a place that could teach people not merely skills at a Yu-Gi-Oh!, but also verbal skills. In Ancient Greece, you'd pay a sophist fortunes for their education; we got it all for free on a children's card game forum.

Chapter 3: a very controversial saga
[spoiler=]Cummed penis.

Chapter 4: Untitled

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

It's a spoiler pyramid!

Epilogue & Shout-outs
Here are some other events that require but brief mentioning. Some have already been mentioned in this thread, but are listed here for completion's sake. A remembrance for insiders.

There was the "fail police" flooding the entire forums with fail images (supposedly with the aim of bettering YCM). There was the YCM article on ED. There was Foe Fiction. There was The Fool's Game. There was Benraino getting bored and going on a streak of troll posts / pastes in General. And then there was that time when Crab Helmet deleted YCMaker's account. Lots of fun was had.

There were quite a bunch of folks who had "awesome" written all over their faces. Some of these have been mentioned, like Opal Moon. Some of them have even posted in this thread, like Benraino, Rinne, and Draco Slaybyrn. I obviously don't need to mention the people I've written about above again. But some posters were not involved in any particularly notable affairs, but deserve to be remembered nonetheless. To this end, I'd like to make a special shout-out to Frlf, Armadilloz, Scott, Akira, JesusOfChaos, Von Findlay, Pyramid, Yaroslav, Alordzynix, WiiOmi, and Griffin. Thanks for being awesome, and thanks for the wonderful memories, YCM.

• 2 years later...

Archived