Where would you post this?

AcediaJC

Question

So, lets say I have a concept in mind for a custom card or archetype, but that's all I have; an idea. Haven't made the cards in the card maker, or written out the effects and stats. Basically a post that says "I have an idea for a card/archetype that does ____, any ideas for how to make it work?". Would a topic like that just go in the appropriate Written Cards sections, or is there somewhere else to discuss un-made card ideas? Or does the forum just lack and appropriate place for such threads?

I figured the answer would just be Written Cards, but I wasn't sure since in this case the cards themselves haven't even been typed out and it's only discussion of what the cards would eventually be based around. Sort of getting help with the planning step before actually creating a card.

7 answers to this question

I'll go make a stickied thread in Experimental for now.

Aesthetically speaking, it kinda fits in there, given its nature (you don't have any cards right now, but rather ideas that you're trying to experiment with).

If things work nicely, we'll see about the subforum (I think we had something like that in old YCM, but most likely not)

At the moment, we don't really have a place for you to post just your ideas for new cards.

Though I suppose a stickied thread in Experimental Cards allowing you to showcase ideas should help a little.

Or you can ask this in a status; a good amount of members do this at times when they get cardmaker's block.

A stickied thread for people to share and ask for help with unfinished ideas could be a good idea. Just a status could work, though don't statuses have a character limit? I haven't made any status updates yet so I'm not sure. If it does, then having a thread or even a sub-forum for it would be much better, to be able to go more into detail on more complex concepts.

Yes, statuses have a character limit [I think 140], though some people use 1-2 replies to complete it.

A subforum might work, but this would need to brought up with the rest of CC and definitely with Zextra/Saber (though latter is on vacation and Zex is busy).

As for a sticky, that I can do without needing to consult the other two.

Either option would work I'd think. A stickied thread would probably be the more reasonable of the two, since it might be too small of a thing to get its own dedicated sub-forum. Personally I'd start with the stickied thread and then if it sees a lot of activity, then toss around the idea of a sort of "ideas & planning" subforum or something. You know, starting simple to see if there's any demand for it aside from this one post. :)

Archived