Planning Thread for Card Ideas

Flash Flyer - Sakura

I have an idea for an archetype called "Varia" which will consist of level/rank 2 LIGHT Machine monsters whose abilities allow them to gain power with the greater number of "Varia" monsters on the field. So far, all I have is "Varia Sphere" who has 1000 ATK and can reduce the ATK of all other "Varia" monsters on the field and gain their combined original ATK, but I have no idea what else I could fit into his set. Thoughts?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Libracor Sounds like it needs swarm/search support... and no effect should be like the other. You are doing good on the interaction effect, but with a term to mean variant reading... I suggest effcts that allow you to also take peeks at what your opponent has (set or hand, your choice). This will give you the chance to strategize more. If you need any more help... just pm me.

@ Libracor Sounds like it needs swarm/search support... and no effect should be like the other. You are doing good on the interaction effect, but with a term to mean variant reading... I suggest effcts that allow you to also take peeks at what your opponent has (set or hand, your choice). This will give you the chance to strategize more. If you need any more help... just pm me.

2 things:
1: HUGE fan of your cards.
B: I dunno how to pm. Also, I don't want to become a pest.

I have 2 ideas. The first one is "Cavalry Dragons", which is not based around gaining power mind you, since they revolve around looking through parts of your deck and drawing the cards you want. Costs are that you either cannot conduct the next draw phase, or the card cannot be used for a number of turn(s).

The second is a pirate-themed deck-out archetype I am still planning out.

Any suggestions for it? I know what will be the strongest monsters for both, but I am unsure on the other cards.

• 2 weeks later...

Late reply, but eeh.

Essentially, your set would probably do well as a WATER themed Deck; bosses will probably be Synchro or Xyz monsters (probably leaning towards the latter); or high Level Main. An idea would be to have the monsters mill cards from your opponent's Deck, should they destroy a monster or inflict damage. (Aesthetically, fits with what pirates are known for doing; and factors into one of the things you wanted).

You do know that it is counterproductive against certain Decks (LS, Zombies, w/e), but for the sake of design, we'll assume things on a general standpoint.

As for the stall, maybe having them protect one another if they get targeted for stuff [in a way similar to 6 Sams]. Or just restrict your opponent's options if either you/opponent meet certain criteria.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Stall (Some examples of cards you can emulate)

Late reply, but eeh.

Essentially, your set would probably do well as a WATER themed Deck; bosses will probably be Synchro or Xyz monsters (probably leaning towards the latter); or high Level Main. An idea would be to have the monsters mill cards from your opponent's Deck, should they destroy a monster or inflict damage. (Aesthetically, fits with what pirates are known for doing; and factors into one of the things you wanted).

You do know that it is counterproductive against certain Decks (LS, Zombies, w/e), but for the sake of design, we'll assume things on a general standpoint.

As for the stall, maybe having them protect one another if they get targeted for stuff [in a way similar to 6 Sams]. Or just restrict your opponent's options if either you/opponent meet certain criteria.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Stall (Some examples of cards you can emulate)

High level mains, deck milling and Water Attribute cards were on my mind as well. In order to prevent easy devastation, they have incredibly low attack and defense. But I just wanted them to mill by paying sacrifices, like an opposite of Lightsworns. But that could work! There are enough stall generics actually so it is just a milling deck.

Hey, I'm looking to see if anyone could help me with this Archetype I'm making. It essentially an anti-Graveyard effects Archetype. I know there are Gravekeepers, but I want something that was one, not so cheap, & two, something that would either negate the monsters effects without being cheap like "Necrvalley" or have those card that have Graveyard effects just unable to happen. If anyone could help me out, that'd be great. I already have a name & design theme for them, they're the "Nibiru" Monsters.

Creating a Archetype called "Celestial Lords".

The Light Types are animals/people who are not contaminated by Darkness

The Dark Types are animals/people who were contaminated by Darkness

From lv 1 to 10 cards

【Celestial Lord Hawk-yang 】

【Light】【1】

【Beast/Flip】【300/400】

When this card is flipped face up: Target 1 "Celestial Lord" card on the field, that card is now treated as a Tuner Card.

【Celestial Lord Hawk-ying 】

【Dark】【1】

【Beast/Flip】【400/300】

When this card is flipped face up: Target 1 "Celestial Lord" card on the field, that card is now treated as a DARK monster. 

【Celestial Lord Ero 】

【Light】【3】

【Beast/Effect】【1000/600】

When this card is normal summoned: Special Summon 1 "Celestial Lord" from your graveyard. If that card is a DARK monster destroy this card. When this card is destroyed by its own effect, destroy 1 face down card on the field.

【Celestial Lord Oer 】

【Dark】【3】

【Beast/Effect】【1400/600】

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by a "Celestial Lord". When this card is Special Summoned, Add 1 "Celestial Lord" card from your graveyard. If that card is a LIGHT monster destroy this card. When this card is destroyed by its own effect, then add 2 "Celestial Lords" from the graveyard to top of the deck in any order.

【Celestial Lord Sayu 】

【Light】【4】

【Warrior/Effect】【1600/800】

When this card is Normal Summoned, Special Summon 1 Level 4 "Celestial Lord" from your hand. If that card is a DARK monster this card becomes a DARK monster. That card cannot be used as Synchro Material Monsters.

【Celestial Lord Yatsu 】

【Dark】【4】

【Beast-Warrior/Effect】【1400/300】

When this card is Special Summoned: Target 1 Card on the field except "Celestial Lords" that card loses 500 ATK/DEF. If that target's ATK or DEF become 0 destroy that card.

【Celestial Lord Aryuu 】

【Light】【4】

【Warrior/Effect】【1000/1400】

Once per turn, You can reveal your hand to activate one of these effects.

• Discard 1 card to Draw 1 Card

• Change this card's position to Defense Mode.

【Evil Snake Lord】

【Dark】【7】

【Reptile/Synchro/Effect】【3000/2400】

1 Dark "Celestial Lord" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Dark Monsters

If this card is Synchro Summoned: Destroy all LIGHT monsters on the field. If this card is sent to the graveyard by a card effect, banish 1 Dark "Celestial Lord" card to Special summon this card from the graveyard. if you do this, at the end phase discard 1 "Celestial Lord" card or destroy this card.

【Celestial Lady】

【Light】【7】

【Spellcaster/Synchro/Effect】【1600/0】

1 Light "Celestial Lord" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Light Monsters

If this card is Synchro Summoned: Destroy all DARK monsters on the field. If this card is sent to the graveyard by battle, banish 1 LIGHT "Celestial Lord" card to special summon this card from the graveyard. if you do this, at the end phase discard 1 "Celestial Lord" card or destroy this card.

Working on it still! ;w;

I'm working on a subset, the "Zoduus" cards.

The monsters are based on the Roman Zodiac, and there is a heavy focus on inflicting effect damage (with Virgo as an outlier that heals you when you inflict damage). I still don't have them all panned out, but here's what I do have::

Zoduus Virgo
FIRE - Level 4 - Spellcaster/Effect - 1300/1500
If there is another "Zoduus" monster face-up on your side of the field, increase your Life Points by 400 every time you inflict damage (except battle damage) to your opponent's Life Points.

Zoduus Aries
EARTH - Level 3 - Beast/Effect - 1600/550
When this monster attacks or is attacked, inflict 200 points of damage to your opponent's Life Points.

Zoduus Taurus
EARTH - Level 4 - Beast/Effect - 2100/600
This monster cannot attack the turn it is Summoned. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a "Zoduus" monster is Special Summoned: inflict damage to your opponent's Life Points equal to the monster's Level times 100.

Zoduus Gemini
WATER - Level 2 - Spellcaster/Effect - 600/600
When you Normal Summon a "Zoduus" monster, you can Special Summon this monster from your hand. Once per turn, during either player's turn, when the effect of a "Zoduus" monster activates: double the amount of damage inflicted to your opponent's Life Points by that effect.

Zoduus Leo
FIRE - Level 5 - Beast/Effect - 2200/1800
Increase the ATK and DEF of this monster by 300 times the number of "Zoduus" cards on the field. Once per turn, if you do not declare an attack with this monster, inflict 100 points of damage to your opponent's Life Points for every "Zoduus" monster you control.

Zoduus Scorpio
EARTH - Level 4 - Insect/Effect - 1600/1000
When this monster destroys a Defense Position monster in battle, inflict piercing damage to your opponent's Life Points. All Battle Damage this card inflicts is treated as effect damage instead.

Zoduus Pisces
WATER - Level 3 - Fish/Effect - 400/1600
You may send this face-up monster to the Graveyard to increase the damage inflicted by the effects of "Zoduus" cards by 300 until the end of this turn.

--------------
Then we have the Zoduus Talismans, Spell Cards based on the Chinese Zodiac. Again, not completed, but still you can see the intent.

Zoduus Talisman: Dragon Soul
Equip Spell
You can only equip this card to a face-up "Zoduus" monster you control. The equipped monster gains 800 ATK and DEF, and is treated as Dragon-Type in addition to its original type. When the equipped monster inflicts effect damage to your opponent's Life Points, add 1 "Zoduus" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Zoduus Talisman: Rooster Soul
Continuous Spell
Once per turn, during either player's turn, if your opponent's card effect negates the effect of a face-up "Zoduus" monster, negate and destroy it. If you activate this effect, the damage inflicted by the effects of all face-up "Zoduus" monsters becomes 100 until the end of the turn.

Zoduus Talisman: Rat Soul
Continuous Spell
Once per turn, when your opponent Special Summons a monster with 1500 or more ATK, Special Summon 1 "Zoduus" monster from your Graveyard.

Zoduus Talisman: Tiger Soul
Quick-Play Spell
Activate this card only if your opponent ends any turn with higher Life Points than they started that turn with. Inflict damage equal to the combined Level of all face-up "Zoduus" monsters times 200- this card's effect cannot be negated, and the damage it inflicts is immune to your opponent's card effects.

------------
So, any help would be appreciated- especially help finding good art. I would love to have a Set I don't have to post in Written for once.

I've got two ideas though don't know which one to start first. There is either spellcasters based one time which are going to ritual monsters whose effects are related to turn count or winged beast monsters based on phoenixes and griphyns which are going to be Xyz monsters whose effects are based on burning for the main deck monsters and resurrection for the Xyz monsters. Other than not knowing which one to start first there is the name problem. I need an idea of what to name them or a language to name them in. I have been thinking of the spellcasters names to include "Year" in it but can't think of anything.

I have no idea. This Archetype is random. ;w;

It helps if you have an idea for what you intend for the set to be doing.

Otherwise, it proves difficult to suggest things that you should make in order to accomplish that theme.

I've got two ideas though don't know which one to start first. There is either spellcasters based one time which are going to ritual monsters whose effects are related to turn count or winged beast monsters based on phoenixes and griphyns which are going to be Xyz monsters whose effects are based on burning for the main deck monsters and resurrection for the Xyz monsters. Other than not knowing which one to start first there is the name problem. I need an idea of what to name them or a language to name them in. I have been thinking of the spellcasters names to include "Year" in it but can't think of anything.

I'd go with Winged-Beasts/gryphons based on Xyz.

For the language, which ones did you have in mind?

As for the Spellcaster ones, the "year" parts sound fine; considering you did suggest one to be called Year 12 in that thread in Games; though whoever designed it sort of deviated from the idea. (Assuming the Year part reflects their Level or something)

I'd go with Winged-Beasts/gryphons based on Xyz.

For the language, which ones did you have in mind?

As for the Spellcaster ones, the "year" parts sound fine; considering you did suggest one to be called Year 12 in that thread in Games; though whoever designed it sort of deviated from the idea. (Assuming the Year part reflects their Level or something)

I had been first looking at Greek considering that is where the legends are accepted to start but due to it not really using Latin characters I'm probably going to go for Latin, German or just stick to English.

You can just try your best to write the Greek name using Latin characters; though I can't really say how well that'll look like for naming.

We had some members translate names from other languages that don't use our alphabet (i.e. Russian, Arabic, etc), so it's possible.

Otherwise, Latin/German/English sound fine.

Well I decided to use a mixture of Japanese and Latin for the archetype with the Japanese being for the archetypes name (Kajinku, a combination of Wind, Life and torment) and Latin (sevus and legate) for the individual cards.

I've based the cards off the Roman social class and military ranks with the higher standings and Ranks being for the Xyz and lower ones like slaves and auxiliaries being lower level monsters. 

I have another archetype idea- Vengeful Weaponmasters.

Somewhat like Spirits, in that they return to your hand after a time. Somewhat like Unions, in that they equip themselves to other cards. Basically, they're temporary power-ups to your opponent's cards . . . that come with a price- during your Standby Phase, these cards return to your hand, taking whatever card they're attached to with them! I actually have one written out:

Vengeful Weaponmaster- Swordswoman

EARTH - Level 3 - Rock/Effect - 1500/400

During your Main Phase, you can attach this face-up monster to one Spellcaster, Warrior, or Beast-Warrior-Type monster on your opponent's side of the field. The monster this card is attached to gains 500 ATK and DEF. During your Standby Phase, return this card and any monster this card is attached to to your hand.

Any help/ideas/comments/concerns?

Got three cards done for my Kajinku archetype, so here they are just for fixes and to see if they are any good.

Kajinku Auxiliaris (Taking in what the first part means and the translation it becomes this - Wind Life Torment Auxiliary)

WIND Winged-Beast Level 3

If this card is Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 level 3 or lower"Kajinku" monster from your hand, except "Kajinku Auxiliary". You can only use this effect of "Kajinku Auxiliary" once per turn.

ATK-1200 DEF-800

Kajinku Servus (Wind Life Torment Slave)

WIND Winged-Beast Level 3

When this card is Special Summoned by the effect of a "Kajinku" monster: You can target 1 monster you control; this card's level becomes equal to the level of that monster.

ATK-900 DEF-500

Kajinku Eques (Wind Life Torment Knight)

WIND Winged-Beast Rank 3

2 Level 3 "Kajinku" monsters
Once per turn: You can target any number of cards on the field equal to the number of Xyz material this card has; destroy them. During your opponents End Phase; detach 1 Xyz material from this card.

ATK-1600 DEF-800

Not sure about the name for the Xyz though.

What Levels/Type are the first two (Auxillaris and Servus)?

Assuming first one is Level 3 and Servus is another one.

Helps a lot if you note all of the necessary data.

The Xyz seems fine to me; not that I can think of better names right now at 1:30 am.

All 3 are Winged-Beast WIND monsters and Servus and Auxillaris are both level 3.  Edited it so there is now that information (Can't believe I forgot to put in the Attribute, Type and Level/Rank of the monsters)

Archived