Xyz LV monsters? The Sinsects! [15/15 Cards]

AcediaJC

Here's the first of two different archetypes I've been working on, based on the idea of extra deck monsters that use the LV mechanic. As you might be able to figure out from the horrible pun in their name, the Sinsects are a set of 7 DARK/Insect Xyz monsters each based around one of the seven deadly sins. However when each one runs out of Xyz materials, you can replace it with a Sinsect that's the next rank higher. They're a bit more flexible than traditional LV monsters, instead of having a specific line of progression, a Sinsect can upgrade into any other Sinsect monster that is 3 ranks higher (For instance when Pride levels up, you can choose to upgrade it into Wrath, Lust, or Greed).

There will be some Main Deck monsters as well as some Spell/Trap support later on down the road, as well as an eighth Xyz as well.

[Spoiler=The Sinsects]

[Spoiler=Rank 3: Pride]

ivw9sm.png

Sinsect LV3 Pride

2 level 3 Monsters
When this card would be destroyed and sent to the graveyard, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card instead. During your Standby Phase, if this card has no Xyz materials attached, you can Xyz Summon 1 "Sinsect LV6" Monster using this card and 1 DARK Monster in your hand or graveyard as the Xyz materials.
Card art by arvalis on deviantart

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Rank 6: Wrath, Lust, and Greed]

ejfpdl.png

Sinsect LV6 Wrath

3 level 6 Monsters
This card can also be Xyz Summoned by the effect of a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster. Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card to destroy 1 face-up Monster your opponent controls. During your Standby Phase, if this card has no Xyz materials attached, you can Xyz Summon 1 "Sinsect LV9" Monster using this card and 1 DARK Monster in your hand or graveyard as the Xyz materials.
Card art by aestheticmachine on deviantart

rcvuwx.png

Sinsect LV6 Lust

3 level 6 Monsters
This card can also be Xyz Summoned by the effect of a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from this card to Special Summon 1 "Sinsect" Monster from your graveyard whose level is equal to or lower than the level or rank of the detached material. During your Standby Phase, if this card has no Xyz materials attached, you can Xyz Summon 1 "Sinsect LV9" Monster using this card and 1 DARK Monster in your hand or graveyard as the Xyz materials.
Card art by dcwj on deviantart

4l0umx.png

Sinsect LV6 Greed

3 level 6 Monsters
This card can also be Xyz Summoned by the effect of a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from this card to return 1 "Sinsect" Monster from your graveyard to your hand. During your Standby Phase, if this card has no Xyz materials attached, you can Xyz Summon 1 "Sinsect LV9" Monster using this card and 1 DARK Monster in your hand or graveyard as the Xyz materials.
Card art by CottonValent on deviantart

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Rank 9: Gluttony and Envy]

2ih9irp.png

Sinsect LV9 Gluttony

4 level 9 Monsters
This card can also be Xyz Summoned by the effect of a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from this card to destroy 1 monster your opponent controls, then activate 1 of the following effects:
- Gain Life Points equal to half the destroyed monster's DEF.
- Inflict damage to your opponent equal to half the destroyed monster's ATK.
During your Standby Phase, if this card has no Xyz materials attached, you can Xyz Summon 1 "Sinsect LV12" Monster using this card and 1 DARK Monster in your hand or graveyard as the Xyz materials.
Card art by SimonARPalmer on deviantart

mwp0xu.png

Sinsect LV9 Envy

4 level 9 Monsters
This card can also be Xyz Summoned by the effect of a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster. Once per turn: When your opponent draws 1 card or adds a card to their hand, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card to destroy 1 Spell or Trap card they control, then draw 1 card. During your Standby Phase, if this card has no Xyz materials attached, you can Xyz Summon 1 "Sinsect LV12" Monster using this card and 1 DARK Monster in your hand or graveyard as the Xyz materials.
Card art by SimonARPalmer on deviantart

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Rank 12: Sloth]

i3w45g.png

Sinsect LV12 Sloth

5 level 12 Monsters
This card can also be Xyz Summoned by the effect of a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster. Once per turn during your opponent's turn: When your opponent Special Summons a Monster from their hand or deck, you can detach 1 Xyz material from this card to negate the Monster's Special Summon and banish it. If you do, neither player can Special Summon from their hand or deck until your opponent's next Standby Phase.
Card art by dcwj on deviantart

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Rank 0: Acedia]

2ykn7cz.png

Sinsect LV0 Acedia

2 Rank 9 or higher "Sinsect" Monsters
(This card is always treated as a Rank 1 Monster)
When this card is Xyz Summoned, you can attach any number of "Sinsect" Xyz Monsters in your graveyard to this card as Xyz Materials. Once per turn: You can detach any number of Xyz materials from this card to destroy an equal number of cards on the field. If this card has at least 1 Xyz material attached, it cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects.
Card art by NAstyJ on deviantart

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Main Deck]

2dlomqv.png

Sinsect Stinger

When a "Sinsect" Monster is Xyz Summoned, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster you control to decrease the ATK and DEF of 1 Monster by 500.

Card art by MichaelJaecks on deviantart

988tiu.png

Sinsect Crawler

You can discard this card to Special Summon 1 level 3 "Sinsect" Monster from your deck. When this card is Summoned, you can detach 1 Xyz material from a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster you control to return 1 Spell or Trap on the field to its owner's hand.

v5wks9.png

Sinsect Parasite

You can tribute this card to detach 2 Xyz materials from 1 "Sinsect" Xyz Monster you control. If this card in your graveyard is used to Xyz Summon a "Sinsect" Monster, you can equip this card to it instead of attach it as an Xyz material. When the equipped monster would be destroyed, you can banish this card instead.

10d5tat.png

Sinsect Creeper

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 "Sinsect" Monster from your graveyard. If this card is used for the Xyz Summon of a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster, this card can be treated as 2 monsters. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster you control to increase the level of 1 level 3 "Sinsect" Monster you control by 3 until the End Phase.

2z4elbn.png

Sinfestation

When this card is activated, you can activate only one of the following effects:
- Tribute 1 "Sinsect" Xyz Monster, then Special Summon 2 level 3 "Sinsect" Monsters from your hand, deck, or graveyard.
- Banish 2 "Sinsect" Monsters you control, then Special Summon 1 "Sinsect LV3 Pride" from your graveyard.

9k179v.png

Sinsect Moth

When a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster you control is targeted by an opponent's card effect, you can discard this card to negate the effect. You can tribute this card to detach 1 Xyz material from a "Sinsect" Xyz Monster you control, then return the detached material to your hand.

Not sure who the artist for this card's art is. If anyone knows, please tell me!

oidjyg.png

Web of Sin

Once per turn: You can banish any number of Insect type Monsters from your graveyard, to detach an equal number of Xyz materials from "Sinsect" Xyz Monsters you control. When a "Sinsect" Monster is Xyz Summoned using another "Sinsect" Xyz Monster as a material, you can add 1 banished Insect type Monster to your deck.

Not sure who the artist for this card's art is. If anyone knows, please tell me!

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

I tried to make their effects (as well as the type of insect they are) both fitting to the sin they represent, as well as (hopefully) balanced for their levels. I also made Pride a rank 3 so that they can be easily accessed by something like Tour Guide.

So, thoughts? Critique? Suggestions?

EDIT: Added an eighth Xyz as a big boss monster, as well as 4 Main Deck monsters and a spell. Check'em out!

EDIT 2: Tweaked Lust's effect to count the detached material's rank as well if it has one, and added 2 new Main Deck cards (Sinsect Moth to provide some protection from other effects, and Web of Sin as another way to quickly detach materials to meet upgrade requirements sooner).

Thanks for taking my advice :)

I realize now, that this can easily be abused with Rank-Up-Magic Astral Force.

Rank-up Astral would have definitely been pretty abuse-able for these if I hadn't made them all 3 levels apart. Though I'm pondering if it would be that unbalanced with them, since looking back at them they do seem pretty slow. I don't think I'll change them to all be 2 ranks apart for Astral though, since 3 apart feels more fitting for them (Pride being Rank 3 for easy access with something like Tour Guide was an important design choice in my opinion, and the fact that an archetype based on a sorta demonic concept has 3 rank 6 monsters that require 3 level 6s as their default materials... That opportunity was too good to pass up)

You know.... If the main deck cards weren't amazing; I'd use the Xyzs with my Burning Abyss deck as it vomits Level 3s out like nothing. Especially with the attaching of a DARK monster from your Hand or Graveyard, it could easily set up Scarm's effect. Very much like!! Though, maybe a Level 9 Monster could be made for this deck. Still, I like em!

You know.... If the main deck cards weren't amazing; I'd use the Xyzs with my Burning Abyss deck as it vomits Level 3s out like nothing. Especially with the attaching of a DARK monster from your Hand or Graveyard, it could easily set up Scarm's effect. Very much like!! Though, maybe a Level 9 Monster could be made for this deck. Still, I like em!

I did somewhat have Burning Abyss in the back of my mind when designing this set, but I've not yet played or built a deck with them so I didn't really intend for any synergy with them beyond the use of level 3s and DARKs. I didn't want any of the main deck monsters to go beyond level 6 though, since it might make the LV mechanic less important (Granted the r9+ Sinsects require too many materials to be worth creating without using the LV effects even with some level 9 Sinsects, but I wanted the leveling effect to pretty much be mandatory for getting them out). Thanks for the comment, and I'm glad you like them! :)

Stole this idea right from the back of my mind! I was thinking about applying LV monsters to the Extra Deck, though Synchro Summoning was my method haha Anywho, I think its a cool idea to detach the materials to fetch the next level. It seems a LITTLE slow considering how you have to wait til your next Standby Phase and considering the Burning Abyss trap game (Not to mention the good ol 101, Castel, Pleiades), but to let you get it right away would also be too abusable. Maybe during the End Phase like Horus? That would leave at least some field presence so your opponent can't just go Dark Hole (Or with the new format I suppose Raigeki) and have you completely have to think about resetting your play altogether.

The flexibility, however, is something I like. I always like the idea of having multiple options of what you want to do, and this leaves for a lot of them. Wrath is a great way to go in, Lust is probably the most balanced revival card that I've seen in a while, and Greed is nice. The Spell does help a little on the "Dark Hole, What Now?" issue, but I think making it a Quick-Play would allow it to have more use and make it a De-Fusion for when those cards happen, especially trying to deal with protecting the Level 6s.

I still have a few moments of question, however. For Lust, if you detach an Xyz monster, what exactly would you get out of it? Maybe saying "Level is lower than the Level or Rank"? Parasite's wording also seems confusing, how would you Xyz from the Graveyard? Cause that's what it sounds like you are suggesting.

Other than that though, this is another well done archetype. Meta wise, I'm not sure you would be able to work it out unless you had a lot of protection, but hey, maybe I'm overthinking it. Looking forward to the next idea

Stole this idea right from the back of my mind! I was thinking about applying LV monsters to the Extra Deck, though Synchro Summoning was my method haha Anywho, I think its a cool idea to detach the materials to fetch the next level. It seems a LITTLE slow considering how you have to wait til your next Standby Phase and considering the Burning Abyss trap game (Not to mention the good ol 101, Castel, Pleiades), but to let you get it right away would also be too abusable. Maybe during the End Phase like Horus? That would leave at least some field presence so your opponent can't just go Dark Hole (Or with the new format I suppose Raigeki) and have you completely have to think about resetting your play altogether.

The flexibility, however, is something I like. I always like the idea of having multiple options of what you want to do, and this leaves for a lot of them. Wrath is a great way to go in, Lust is probably the most balanced revival card that I've seen in a while, and Greed is nice. The Spell does help a little on the "Dark Hole, What Now?" issue, but I think making it a Quick-Play would allow it to have more use and make it a De-Fusion for when those cards happen, especially trying to deal with protecting the Level 6s.

I still have a few moments of question, however. For Lust, if you detach an Xyz monster, what exactly would you get out of it? Maybe saying "Level is lower than the Level or Rank"? Parasite's wording also seems confusing, how would you Xyz from the Graveyard? Cause that's what it sounds like you are suggesting.

Other than that though, this is another well done archetype. Meta wise, I'm not sure you would be able to work it out unless you had a lot of protection, but hey, maybe I'm overthinking it. Looking forward to the next idea

I hadn't really thought of that with Lust, so yeah I'll probably have to change that to include lower than the material's rank as well. As for Parasite, the idea is meant to go with how the Sinsect Xyzs upgrade themselves by attaching the second material from the graveyard or hand. So if Parasite is used as the second material, it triggers its effect. And I may add some more spells or main deck monsters to add some protection against non-destruction removal. Since you're right, they definitely need more protection against staples like 101, Castel, and the like considering how long it can take to get the stronger ones out (Getting hit by a simple Compulse or something with the Rank 0 on board would be pretty devastating, for instance). I'll see what I can come up with :)

Also, you're welcome to use the idea of LV Extra Deck monsters if you want. My two sets that use the concept are Xyz and Fusion focused respectively, so there's still plenty that could be done with LV Synchros. Though I don't really mind people using my concepts either, just as long as they aren't copying my cards word for word or something :P

I hadn't really thought of that with Lust, so yeah I'll probably have to change that to include lower than the material's rank as well. As for Parasite, the idea is meant to go with how the Sinsect Xyzs upgrade themselves by attaching the second material from the graveyard or hand. So if Parasite is used as the second material, it triggers its effect. And I may add some more spells or main deck monsters to add some protection against non-destruction removal. Since you're right, they definitely need more protection against staples like 101, Castel, and the like considering how long it can take to get the stronger ones out (Getting hit by a simple Compulse or something with the Rank 0 on board would be pretty devastating, for instance). I'll see what I can come up with :)

Also, you're welcome to use the idea of LV Extra Deck monsters if you want. My two sets that use the concept are Xyz and Fusion focused respectively, so there's still plenty that could be done with LV Synchros. Though I don't really mind people using my concepts either, just as long as they aren't copying my cards word for word or something :P

I think I'm getting it. So its like basically if you upgrade and you attach Parasite, BOOM you got your equip card. That'd be hella useful. But yeah, the LV Synchro idea changed already and is going into another concept, which will probably be one of if not the first archetype I post here. I just thought it was hilarious to see the basic idea go to work. You honestly made it more consistent then I did aside from the Standby Phase problem. Anywho, I'll be looking out for those protection methods and seeing where this goes. I'm curious between this and the other one

How does one summon the rank 0?

Unlike the others, the Rank 0 is actually meant to be summoned using its listed materials, "2 Rank 9 or higher "Sinsect" Monsters". So that would mean getting some combination of Gluttony, Envy, or Sloth on the field together then using them to Xyz into the Rank 0 normally. So the Rank 0 doesn't use the LV mechanic itself, but it requires you to make full use of it in getting its materials on the field. Hopefully that makes sense :)

Just thought I would say the new cards... love em! Moth is cool. A Turtle was definitely what they needed, and a Turtle (Well, Moth) does some wonders. I could imagine some Burning Abyss player attempting Pleiades................. Just let that sink in

Web of Sin is a great field spell and definitely speeds up the deck a TON! It also makes for other options, like Dark Grepher and Armageddon Knight, for easy dumping. Probably the ideal combo would be Web of Sin+LV Xyz+Dark Grepher to speed up that level advancing like nobody's business. If Konami had slapped this card after the archetype had been dead for a format, I would have been running back to make it work once again :)

The rank 0 needs another clause "all xyz materials attached to those monsters become attached to this one" or however you word it, unless you only want it to have two xyz materials

It can have more than two materials due to the first of its effects: "When this card is Xyz Summoned, you can attach any number of "Sinsect" Xyz Monsters in your graveyard to this card as Xyz Materials". Since a Sinsect upgrades when it has no materials left, that means by the time you get out the Rank 0 there should be at least 2 of the Rank 3 and 2 of the Rank 6s in the grave to attach with that effect. More than that if you use Sloth as one of its initial materials as well. Hopefully that makes a bit more sense :)

Just wanted to say that both Moth and Web of Sin were made by Jazin Kay (since you were adding the card art illustrators).  His gallery is actually accessible from this website through tutorials.

Oh, also, cool cards!

That's where I found the images myself, but I don't know if they were the one that actually made the images or not since the thread that links to it just said it's full of images they'd compiled and cropped for easy use. I guess I could just say the card art was found in that gallery rather than who it was made by, but when I include the artwork sources I prefer the credit to be given to the actual artist when I can manage it. Thanks for pointing out where they can be found at least, helps for people who might have asked where I got them from :)

Archived