Shifter the Combiner, a Normal monster that becomes a Fusion LV monster! [31/? Cards]

AcediaJC

Here's the second of my two LV-based Extra Deck concepts. This one takes a bit of inspiration from the Neo-Spacian monsters, using a sort of contact fusion system with a normal monster to bring out the fusions that are the real focus of the deck. However, the Shifter fusions also have three LV-based evolutionary stages each, getting stronger and stronger with every turn. There are four different Fusion forms for Shifter: Beast, Dragon, Angel, and Demon (I may add more later down the road if I have ideas for them), The Beast Fusions focus on monster destruction and being an indestructible beat stick. The Dragon Fusions are anti-Spell/Trap, destroying and negating your opponent's S/T cards. The Angel Fusions focus on Special Summoning and protection. And finally the Demon Fusions focus on banishing things for different effects.

So, here they are!

[Spoiler=Shifter and his Fusions]

[Spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

2vmsx7n.png

Shifter the Combiner

A mysterious knight with magical powers, who is able to completely change his body into many powerful new forms. The longer he remains in these forms, the stronger he becomes... But at what cost?

eiuoif.png

Shia the Combiner

This card's name becomes "Shifter the Combiner" while it is on the field, in your hand, or in the Graveyard. If you do not control a Warrior type Monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is destroyed as a result of battle, you can Special Summon 1 "Shifter the Combiner" from your deck.

2dorrc.png

Combining Beast

If you control 1 or more "Shifter" Monsters, this card cannot be destroyed as a result of battle. If this card is banished by the effect of "Shifter the Beast LV5", you can activate one of the following effects:
- Change 1 Monster your opponent controls to face-up Defence Position.
- Special Summon 1 "Shifter the Combiner" from your deck or graveyard.

21afzn8.png

Combining Dragon

If you control 1 or more "Shifter" Monsters, this card cannot be targeted by your opponent's Spell/Trap effects. If this card is banished by the effect of "Shifter the Dragon LV5", you can activate one of the following effects:
- Your opponent must Set 1 Spell or Trap from their hand. If they cannot, you can destroy 1 set Spell or Trap your opponent controls.

osep2e.png

Combining Angel

If you control 1 or more "Shifter" Monsters, you can tribute this card to add 1 "Shifter" or "Combining" Monster from your graveyard to your hand. If this card is banished by the effect of "Shifter the Angel LV5", you can activate one of the following effects:
- Special Summon 1 "Combining" Monster from your graveyard.

f26613.png

Combining Demon

If you control 1 or more "Shifter" Monsters, you can tribute this card to banish 1 card from your opponent's graveyard. If this card is banished by the effect of "Shifter the Demon LV5", you can activate one of the following effects:
- Send 1 "Shifter the Combiner" from your deck to your graveyard.

2mh5rbq.png

Shia the Beast Combiner

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by tributing 1 "Shia the Combiner" you control. When this card is Summoned, you can destroy 1 Monster your opponent controls. During you next Standby Phase after this card was Summoned, you can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 "Shifter the Beast LV7" from your Extra Deck (This is treated as a Fusion Summon). This card is always treated as a "Shifter" Monster.

29er5s3.png

Shia the Dragon Combiner

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by tributing 1 "Shia the Combiner" you control. When this card is Summoned, you can destroy 1 Spell or Trap your opponent controls. During you next Standby Phase after this card was Summoned, you can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 "Shifter the Dragon LV7" from your Extra Deck (This is treated as a Fusion Summon). This card is always treated as a "Shifter" Monster.

aczmo4.png

Shia the Angel Combiner

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by tributing 1 "Shia the Combiner" you control. When this card is Summoned, you can negate the effect of 1 Monster your opponent controls until their next End Phase. During you next Standby Phase after this card was Summoned, you can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 "Shifter the Angel LV7" from your Extra Deck (This is treated as a Fusion Summon). This card is always treated as a "Shifter" Monster.

2r62nnm.png

Shia the Demon Combiner

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by tributing 1 "Shia the Combiner" you control. When this card is Summoned, you can banish 1 card from your opponent's graveyard. During you next Standby Phase after this card was Summoned, you can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 "Shifter the Demon LV7" from your Extra Deck (This is treated as a Fusion Summon). This card is always treated as a "Shifter" Monster.

2rfcxzo.png

Combining Mecha

If you control 1 or more "Shifter" Monsters, you can equip this card to 1 "Shifter" Monster you control as an Equip Spell Card. If the equipped monster would be destroyed, destroy this card instead. If this card is banished by the effect of "Shifter the Mecha LV5", you can activate one of the following effects:
- Send 1 "Shifter" or "Combining" Monster from your deck to your graveyard.

t9gja1.png

Shia the Mecha Combiner

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by tributing 1 "Shia the Combiner" you control. When this card is Summoned, you can equip 1 Monster your opponent controls to this card as an Equip Spell Card. This card gains 200 ATK and DEF for each Monster equipped to it. During you next Standby Phase after this card was Summoned, you can tribute this card to Special Summon 1 "Shifter the Mecha LV7" from your Extra Deck (This is treated as a Fusion Summon). This card is always treated as a "Shifter" Monster.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Beast Forms]

5ob0p3.png

Shifter the Beast LV5

"Shifter the Combiner" + 1 Beast or Beast-Warrior type Monster
You can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by returning 1 "Shifter the Combiner" you control to your deck, and banishing 1 Beast or Beast-Warrior type Monster from your hand or deck (This is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn: You can discard 1 card to destroy 1 Monster your opponent controls in face-up Defence Position.

35lga3s.png
Shifter the Beast LV7
During your Standby Phase, you can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by tributing 1 "Shifter the Beast LV5" you control (this is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn: You can destroy 1 Monster your opponent controls in Defence Position. This card cannot be destroyed as a result of battle by a Monster with more than 3000 ATK.

eakxnp.png
Shifter the Beast LV9
During your Standby Phase, you can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by tributing 1 "Shifter the Beast LV7" you control (this is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn: You can destroy 1 Monster your opponent controls. If you do, its effects are negated. This card cannot be destroyed as a result of battle.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Dragon Forms]

6ga048.png

Shifter the Dragon LV5

"Shifter the Combiner" + 1 Dragon or Reptile type Monster
You can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by returning 1 "Shifter the Combiner" you control to your deck, and banishing 1 Dragon or Reptile type Monster from your hand or deck (This is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn: You can send 1 Normal Warrior type Monster from your deck to the graveyard to destroy 1 set Spell or Trap card your opponent controls, and it cannot be activated in response to this effect.

2ch5bbk.png
Shifter the Dragon LV7
During your Standby Phase, you can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by tributing 1 "Shifter the Dragon LV5" you control (this is treated as a Fusion Summon). When this card is Fusion Summoned, return 1 Normal Warrior type Monster from your graveyard to your deck. Once per turn: You can target 1 Set Spell or Trap card your opponent controls. It cannot be activated as long as you control this card.

2powoxz.png
Shifter the Dragon LV9
During your Standby Phase, you can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by tributing 1 "Shifter the Dragon LV7" you control (this is treated as a Fusion Summon). All other "Shifter" Monsters you control cannot be affected by your opponent's Spell or Trap cards. Once per turn: You can destroy 1 Spell or Trap your opponent controls.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Angel Forms]

2ilo8xg.png

Shifter the Angel LV5

"Shifter the Combiner" + 1 Fairy or Spellcaster type Monster
You can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by returning 1 "Shifter the Combiner" you control to your deck, and banishing 1 Fairy or Spellcaster type Monster from your hand or deck (This is treated as a Fusion Summon). When this card is Fusion Summoned, you can target 1 other Monster you control. As long as you control this card, that Monster cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects.

wgp5e0.png

Shifter the Angel LV7

During your Standby Phase, you can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by tributing 1 "Shifter the Angel LV5" you control (this is treated as a Fusion Summon). When this card is Fusion Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 level 4 or lower Warrior type Monster from your graveyard. Its effects are negated until your next Standby Phase, and it cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

2qdu1s8.png

Shifter the Angel LV9

During your Standby Phase, you can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by tributing 1 "Shifter the Angel LV7" you control (this is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn, you can activate 1 of the following effects:
- Special Summon 1 level 4 or lower Warrior type Monster or 1 Normal Warrior type Monster from your deck or graveyard.
- Target 1 "Shifter" Monster you control. It cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects until your opponent's End Phase.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Demon Forms]

2n74klz.png

Shifter the Demon LV5

"Shifter the Combiner" + 1 Fiend or Zombie type Monster
You can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by returning 1 "Shifter the Combiner" you control to your deck, and banishing 1 Fiend or Zombie type Monster from your hand or deck (This is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn: You can banish 1 Monster from either player's graveyard. If "Shifter the Combiner" was banished by this effect, you can return one card in your graveyard to your deck.

14mbbx4.png

Shifter the Demon LV7

During your Standby Phase, you can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by tributing 1 "Shifter the Demon LV5" you control (this is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn: You can discard 1 card to banish 1 Monster on the field or in either player's graveyard. If a Normal Monster was banished by this effect, draw 1 card.

2nhoj2d.png

Shifter the Demon LV9

During your Standby Phase, you can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by tributing 1 "Shifter the Demon LV7" you control (this is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn: You can banish 1 card each player controls or in each player's graveyard. If a "Shifter" Monster was banished by this effect, banish 1 random card from your opponent's hand. When this card is destroyed, you can add 1 banished "Shifter the Combiner" to your hand.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Mecha Forms]

11gho9z.png

Shifter the Mecha LV5

"Shifter the Combiner" + 1 Machine or Psychic type Monster
You can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by returning 1 "Shifter the Combiner" you control to your deck, and banishing 1 Machine or Psychic type Monster from your hand or deck (This is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn: You can equip 1 "Shifter" or "Combining" Monster from your hand or Graveyard to this card as an Equip Spell Card. This card gains 300 ATK and DEF for each "Shifter" or "Combining" Monster equipped to it.

11aerus.png

Shifter the Mecha LV7

During your Standby Phase, you can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by tributing 1 "Shifter the Mecha LV5" you control (this is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn: You can equip 1 "Shifter" or "Combining" Monster from your hand or Graveyard to this card as an Equip Spell Card. All "Shifter" Monsters you control gain 200 ATK and DEF for each "Shifter" or "Combining" Monster equipped to this card. If this card would be destroyed, you can destroy 1 card equipped to it instead. 

2usewwh.png

Shifter the Mecha LV9

During your Standby Phase, you can Special Summon this card from your Extra Deck by tributing 1 "Shifter the Mecha LV7" you control (this is treated as a Fusion Summon). Once per turn: You can equip 1 "Shifter" or "Combining" Monster from your hand or Graveyard to this card as an Equip Spell Card. You can destroy 1 "Shifter" or "Combining" Monster equipped to this card to increase the ATK and DEF of 1 "Shifter" Monster you control by 1000 until the End Phase. If there is a "Shifter the Combiner" equipped to this card, it cannot be destroyed by battle or your opponent's card effects.

[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Spells]

v3zhuq.png

Shifter Shapechange

Tribute 1 "Shifter" Fusion Monster you control, then Special Summon 1 "Shifter" Monster from your Extra Deck with the same level and a different type from the tributed Monster. This is treated as a Fusion Summon. You cannot Special Summon any other Monsters the turn you activate this effect.

rlg9rn.png

Sudden Shift

When your opponent Summons a level 5 or higher Monster, you can pay 1000 Life Points to Special Summon 1 level 5 "Shifter" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, then send the materials listed on it from your hand or deck to the graveyard.

2h81wjt.png

Shifter the Slayer

You can only activate this card if you control 1 face-up "Shifter the Combiner". Destroy 1 Special Summoned Monster your opponent controls, then return 1 "Shifter" Monster you control to your deck. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn this card is activated.

fvbptl.png

Shift Fusion

You can only activate this card if you control 1 face-up "Shifter the Combiner". Fusion Summon 1 "Shifter" Fusion Monster by banishing its Fusion materials from either your side of the field or your opponent's graveyard. You can banish this card in your graveyard to add 1 "Shifter the Combiner" from your deck to your hand.

[/spoiler][/spoiler]

So, thoughts and suggestions? Hopefully they aren't horribly broken in any way, but if they are please let me know how I can fix them :)

EDIT 3: Added two sets of four main deck monsters: The Combining monsters, and Shia's own shapeshifted forms. The Combining monsters are basically designed to be fodder for the summoning of the LV5 monsters while also setting up for their effects. They do also have a few small effects for while they're on the field, but the main use for them is to banish them from your hand or deck as the second material for the appropriate LV5 Fusion. The Shia forms on the other hand function as alternatives to the LV5s. They only require Shia the Combiner on the field to be summoned and their effects are less limited than the LV5 Fusions, but they only trigger once when they're summoned (While the Fusions, with the exception of Angel, can still activate their effect again if you keep them around on the next turn). They could also be banished as the materials for one of the LV5s, but that's probably not worth doing unless you lack the appropriate Combining monster.

EDIT 4: Added 5 new cards, the Mecha fusions and their matching Combining monster and Shia form. Not completely happy with how they turned out, so I may go back and tweak them later on.

.......And I thought the new Odd Eyes Fusion Monsters were cool! Man, I just love this idea, but there are a few things that could be worked on. Not sure how broke this exactly would be, but I do want to give the warning that Instant Fusion is a card that summons 5 or Lower Fusions, and there is nothing preventing you from Instant Fusing LV5 then going for LV7 right after, in addition to abusing Fusion Substitute monsters to skip levels . Again, I have no clue what kind of damage that would do, but just would like to throw that out there.

The Beast form is really interesting because you not only have that destruction effect, but LV7 and 9 have that Obnoxious Celtic Guard like protection. It isn't a perfect solution, but it does make Killer seem like a lot less of a threat. LV9 is also amazing against most meta monsters, as you don't have to worry about that floater. I'm not sure if it would make it too broken, but maybe add a clause such as "That monster cannot activate its effect in chain to this card's effect" or something along that nature.

On an unreleated question before I go into the Dragon, is that a form of Bolshack Dragon in its LV 7 and 9 forms? Anywho, I'm loving the backrow hate, and this would probably be the one everyone would go into. You got protection from Artifacts, you get deck thinning, and if you got Call of the Haunted you got even more options. I gotta be honest though, LV9 is not so rewarding to me. You get protection...... from everyone except himself. It just leaves you feeling underwhelmed. You got a 2800 beater, but it really makes it feel like Beast is the big deal as of right now. Maybe it's too much to ask for him to be unaffected as well, but if so, then there needs to be a way for it to be more rewarding to make him.

I love the idea of this and I would love to see the full potential of this and I'll also be looking at the Angel and Demon forms and giving my thoughts on those when they drop, but for now I think there needs to be some tweaking with the Dragon form and especially with the exploitation methods that would make cheating with these as easy as when Dragon Rulers cheated with Dragon Ravine (Though not quite as bad). Again though, great job on the concept and I'll be looking forward to the Angel and Demon forms.

.......And I thought the new Odd Eyes Fusion Monsters were cool! Man, I just love this idea, but there are a few things that could be worked on. Not sure how broke this exactly would be, but I do want to give the warning that Instant Fusion is a card that summons 5 or Lower Fusions, and there is nothing preventing you from Instant Fusing LV5 then going for LV7 right after, in addition to abusing Fusion Substitute monsters to skip levels . Again, I have no clue what kind of damage that would do, but just would like to throw that out there.

The Beast form is really interesting because you not only have that destruction effect, but LV7 and 9 have that Obnoxious Celtic Guard like protection. It isn't a perfect solution, but it does make Killer seem like a lot less of a threat. LV9 is also amazing against most meta monsters, as you don't have to worry about that floater. I'm not sure if it would make it too broken, but maybe add a clause such as "That monster cannot activate its effect in chain to this card's effect" or something along that nature.

On an unreleated question before I go into the Dragon, is that a form of Bolshack Dragon in its LV 7 and 9 forms? Anywho, I'm loving the backrow hate, and this would probably be the one everyone would go into. You got protection from Artifacts, you get deck thinning, and if you got Call of the Haunted you got even more options. I gotta be honest though, LV9 is not so rewarding to me. You get protection...... from everyone except himself. It just leaves you feeling underwhelmed. You got a 2800 beater, but it really makes it feel like Beast is the big deal as of right now. Maybe it's too much to ask for him to be unaffected as well, but if so, then there needs to be a way for it to be more rewarding to make him.

I love the idea of this and I would love to see the full potential of this and I'll also be looking at the Angel and Demon forms and giving my thoughts on those when they drop, but for now I think there needs to be some tweaking with the Dragon form and especially with the exploitation methods that would make cheating with these as easy as when Dragon Rulers cheated with Dragon Ravine (Though not quite as bad). Again though, great job on the concept and I'll be looking forward to the Angel and Demon forms.

I hadn't even thought about Instant Fusion... I'm not quite sure what I could change to prevent them from abusing that though. Possibly raising the levels, but I chose their current levels specifically to provide some powerful Xyz options to have on the side with a few Rank 5 and 7s in mind. Maybe I could add some clause that they can only be summoned by their own effect and then have the set's spells that also summon them have a "ignoring summoning conditions" clause? I'll have to take a closer look at Instant Fusion later to see if there's some loophole I could use to make it not compatible with this archetype.

And I'm not sure if the artwork for the dragons is already from something, I mostly just used images from the galleries in this thread. And the idea with Dragon is for it to be more focused on support and control while Beast is your main threat (at least until I've worked out the effects of the Angel and Demon forms since maybe one of them could become the bigger threat). Like for instance, imagine having both Dragon LV9 and Beast LV9 on board together. Beast then becomes pretty much immune to everything but monster effects unless they deal with Dragon first. I feel like making Dragon protect itself would make that combo too troublesome for your opponent to stop. Plus since it pops a spell/trap when it's destroyed, there's also the factor of "Even if you kill it, I can still hurt your backrow". I can definitely see most people keeping Dragon at level 7 and just slowly locking the opponent down that way and how Beast is probably more useful, but I feel like LV9 has some value in the set :)

I'll definitely see what I can do to prevent any Instant Fusion shenanigans with the set, that really sounds like it would create some huge problems. Thanks a ton for pointing that out to me :)

I hadn't even thought about Instant Fusion... I'm not quite sure what I could change to prevent them from abusing that though. Possibly raising the levels, but I chose their current levels specifically to provide some powerful Xyz options to have on the side with a few Rank 5 and 7s in mind. Maybe I could add some clause that they can only be summoned by their own effect and then have the set's spells that also summon them have a "ignoring summoning conditions" clause? I'll have to take a closer look at Instant Fusion later to see if there's some loophole I could use to make it not compatible with this archetype.

And I'm not sure if the artwork for the dragons is already from something, I mostly just used images from the galleries in this thread. And the idea with Dragon is for it to be more focused on support and control while Beast is your main threat (at least until I've worked out the effects of the Angel and Demon forms since maybe one of them could become the bigger threat). Like for instance, imagine having both Dragon LV9 and Beast LV9 on board together. Beast then becomes pretty much immune to everything but monster effects unless they deal with Dragon first. I feel like making Dragon protect itself would make that combo too troublesome for your opponent to stop. Plus since it pops a spell/trap when it's destroyed, there's also the factor of "Even if you kill it, I can still hurt your backrow". I can definitely see most people keeping Dragon at level 7 and just slowly locking the opponent down that way and how Beast is probably more useful, but I feel like LV9 has some value in the set :)

I'll definitely see what I can do to prevent any Instant Fusion shenanigans with the set, that really sounds like it would create some huge problems. Thanks a ton for pointing that out to me :)

You also would have to erase the possibility of Fusion Substitute monsters. I think maybe making it so they can only be Special Summoned by the method listed on the cards would be a simple fix for now, unless you another way out that I can't think of. As for the idea of the Dragon and Beast, I think that's cool and all, but I think you need to make everybody an equal threat. It's just not really realistic to keep LV9 out long enough to make that combo really viable. Maybe a Spell or Trap that can allow you to quickly summon 2 at the same time would allow there to be a realistic buildup to that, but it would just be way too slow to expect two LV9's to be on the field together. I mean, maybe it's the main problem with LV monsters, but it'll take at least 4 turns to set that up if you take Double Summon out of the picture, and what's the average life of a monster? Just something to think about. I appreciate the idea, and it sounds great on paper, but in the current state you need to have multiple uses for EVERYTHING at all times. No problem though at the fixes, I'll be looking to see how this all turns out in the end :)

You also would have to erase the possibility of Fusion Substitute monsters. I think maybe making it so they can only be Special Summoned by the method listed on the cards would be a simple fix for now, unless you another way out that I can't think of. As for the idea of the Dragon and Beast, I think that's cool and all, but I think you need to make everybody an equal threat. It's just not really realistic to keep LV9 out long enough to make that combo really viable. Maybe a Spell or Trap that can allow you to quickly summon 2 at the same time would allow there to be a realistic buildup to that, but it would just be way too slow to expect two LV9's to be on the field together. I mean, maybe it's the main problem with LV monsters, but it'll take at least 4 turns to set that up if you take Double Summon out of the picture, and what's the average life of a monster? Just something to think about. I appreciate the idea, and it sounds great on paper, but in the current state you need to have multiple uses for EVERYTHING at all times. No problem though at the fixes, I'll be looking to see how this all turns out in the end :)

I see your point. Maybe I'll change Dragon LV9's effect to do something else while it's on the field so it's worth having out on its own. That way the combo of it with Beast can be left unchanged, but it can be worth going for without doing all the setup for that combo as well.

Looks like I caught another Duel Masters Pic! Angel LV7 is Alcadeias, Lord of Spirits, a favorite I would instantly recognize! Back on topic, the once per turn MST of LV9 is wonderful! So much backrow hate, its fabulous. I would upgrade for that. Of course with caution since the locks are taken off. I would think Xing Xhen Hu would go good as a "Just in case", especially to prevent that Bottomless, Torrential, and especially that Artifact Sanctum.

As for Angel, whoa there. Now that is a behemoth. Speaking of Alcadeias, this is the next best thing to the actual effect of the card itself. Technically you got a 2000 ATK Leo at LV5, a chance to get more field presence with LV7, and LV9 is just wonderful. This set alone would make me want to at least try it out, maybe with some Spellbooks or Saturn OTK.

Being the Dark Deck player, I gotta say I enjoy the Demon. How he changes from a Zombie to a Fiend I will never know, but regardless that thing is amazing. In Zombies, you could banish D.D. Survivor or Scout Plane with Zombie World (So you could get them back) and then you could start banishing away. In Fiends, I still would have to find a perfect target, but using the cards in my current deck Malicious Abyss, I probably would be banishing my Tongue Twisters I'd be using as Malicious Fiend targets anywho. LV7 is also interesting, and makes me really want to try Zombies with Wyarm, cause draw power is always good. LV9 tho, man. Shadolls ain't got nothing on him. All I gotta say. Genius. Well worth the efforts to get him out.

I gotta say, I am liking these even more now. I'll wait and see how the Instant Fusion abuse is handled, but I gotta say I'm impressed otherwise. Neos would be proud lmao

Hm... Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but now that I've payed a bit closer attention to Instant Fusion's effect... How would it allow for quickly skipping levels, aside from using it in combination with something like Call of the Haunted? It lets you get the level 5s out easier, but it says they're destroyed during the End Phase, and the level 7s and 9s can only be summoned during the Standby Phase. So if you Instant Fusioned one of the level 5s, wouldn't it get destroyed before you could upgrade it the next turn? Maybe it's just my lack of experience using the particular card speaking, but after taking a closer look at it I'm not actually seeing how it could be abused by the archetype. Infact, wouldn't it be slower? Since you would need to Instant Fusion, then revive it the next turn, then upgrade the turn after that? As opposed to summoning them normally where you would just summon Shifter or Shia, then Special Summon the level 5 by its own effect of returning Shifter to the deck and banishing the other material from hand/deck, and upgrading during the next turn. Is there some timing rule or something I'm overlooking that would allow Instant Fusion to immediately upgrade one of the Fusions?

Hm... Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but now that I've payed a bit closer attention to Instant Fusion's effect... How would it allow for quickly skipping levels, aside from using it in combination with something like Call of the Haunted? It lets you get the level 5s out easier, but it says they're destroyed during the End Phase, and the level 7s and 9s can only be summoned during the Standby Phase. So if you Instant Fusioned one of the level 5s, wouldn't it get destroyed before you could upgrade it the next turn? Maybe it's just my lack of experience using the particular card speaking, but after taking a closer look at it I'm not actually seeing how it could be abused by the archetype. Infact, wouldn't it be slower? Since you would need to Instant Fusion, then revive it the next turn, then upgrade the turn after that? As opposed to summoning them normally where you would just summon Shifter or Shia, then Special Summon the level 5 by its own effect of returning Shifter to the deck and banishing the other material from hand/deck, and upgrading during the next turn. Is there some timing rule or something I'm overlooking that would allow Instant Fusion to immediately upgrade one of the Fusions?

Activate Instant Fusion, summon LV5, activate Polymerization or Fusion Gate, summon LV7. It's because there are Fusion Materials listed and there is literally no limitation. Even just removing the materials I realized would work, because then it would be liked the Masked Heroes. That would be the simplest fix I know and it ALSO fixes the Fusion Substitute cheat where you can just use your subtitute the LV monster and just fuse with Shifter to get whatever you want, but I'll leave you to that

Activate Instant Fusion, summon LV5, activate Polymerization or Fusion Gate, summon LV7. It's because there are Fusion Materials listed and there is literally no limitation. Even just removing the materials I realized would work, because then it would be liked the Masked Heroes. That would be the simplest fix I know and it ALSO fixes the Fusion Substitute cheat where you can just use your subtitute the LV monster and just fuse with Shifter to get whatever you want, but I'll leave you to that

Ah I hadn't thought of following it up with just Fusion Summoning them normally using their listed materials. Just removing the materials from the level 7s and 9s like the Masked Heroes seems like a simple enough fix.

I don't know about Dragon LV 7, but LV 9 is most definately drago(or whatever) from Bakugan

About Shia the combiner. the effect "this card is always treated as so and so" makes it so you can only have 3 overall of either shia or shifter. (2 shia 1 shifter, 2 shifter 1 shia, 3 shia 0 shifter, ect.) For the harpies they have the effect "This card's name becomes 'Harpie Lady' while it is on the field or in the Graveyard" to stop this. so use a similar effect just add hand to the list of places and it should be all good ;)

overall great archetype!

About Shia the combiner. the effect "this card is always treated as so and so" makes it so you can only have 3 overall of either shia or shifter. (2 shia 1 shifter, 2 shifter 1 shia, 3 shia 0 shifter, ect.) For the harpies they have the effect "This card's name becomes 'Harpie Lady' while it is on the field or in the Graveyard" to stop this. so use a similar effect just add hand to the list of places and it should be all good ;)

overall great archetype!

I wasn't aware that having the effect like that actually impacted the amount of copies you can have. Thanks for the heads up! Are there any existing cards that rule effects already though, or is it just something that's a written rule that hasn't had to actually be used yet? Just curious since I can't think of any off the top of my head that already run into that problem. I'll update Shia in a moment though so this deck won't have to worry about it, at least :)

• 2 weeks later...

What's this? A late night update? A pretty big one at that! I felt like this set was really lacking in the main deck department (Considering there's only two main deck monsters in the whole set), so I created 8 new monsters to help even things up a bit. Also felt like Shifter's gender-swapped replacement Shia could use some cards to go along with her, since she's sorta the odd one out in the archetype, so designed four of those monsters to rely on her instead of Shifter.

Also may at some point come up with a couple more forms for Shifter (And by extent, Shia as well) soon. I'm thinking maybe a Machine form that does something with equipping stuff, an Aqua form that bounces your opponent's cards, and a Plant or Insect form that increases and decreases lifepoints. So, look forward to seeing those soon!

Archived