Custom Card Game Template Help

asterr259

I'm designing a card game, but I'm not sure which one of templates is better. Version 1 is older, and I think it's visually appealing, but I feel dissatisfied with it for some reason. Version 2 seems less appealing but sometimes simplicity is better, but I feel it has more manageable room for improvement when I add new things to the CCG I'm working on. Which do you think is better?

I'm not really good with Graphic Design, and I'm pretty much self-taught, but these were made in GIMP which is pretty much all I have.

[spoiler=Version 1]ebonrod1.jpg[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Version 2]ebonrod2.jpg[/spoiler]

Version 2 does look better; however, I don't want to send you in the wrong direction. Firstly i don't know if what you have on the card now all that's aspects of the game itself. If it is, then you seem to have areas that are just taking up space (this part is just a minor detail of course and doesn't really matter that much.). I would also advise doing something with what i infer to be a power box ( bottom "7000" box). It merges in with the text box ( which I'm glad you have.). It doesn't seem bad now, but in the future if you get cards with longer text, it might become a problem. Other than that nothing really seems off setting; however, i would like to see some kinda of information on the card ( i mean like the date created or creator this will not only make it "seem" more professional and filled out, but also make it easier for you as a producer of cards to seperate and identify these cards.).

I am interested in how this will shape out, so please keep me informed in your progression. would you also help me have a better feel of the game mechanics, or the features added in the game? For instance, does the background color symbolize something such as the attribute, or type of card.

Side note- I'm not trying to be mean and criticize your designs. Honestly I like how it is coming out to be, but it still needs some tweeks to seperate it from other card games and to make the card more effective/concise. Keep up the good work.

Also don't mind the spelling errors I typed this on my phone at 12 A.M..

Version 2 does look better; however, I don't want to send you in the wrong direction. Firstly i don't know if what you have on the card now all that's aspects of the game itself. If it is, then you seem to have areas that are just taking up space (this part is just a minor detail of course and doesn't really matter that much.). I would also advise doing something with what i infer to be a power box ( bottom "7000" box). It merges in with the text box ( which I'm glad you have.). It doesn't seem bad now, but in the future if you get cards with longer text, it might become a problem. Other than that nothing really seems off setting; however, i would like to see some kinda of information on the card ( i mean like the date created or creator this will not only make it "seem" more professional and filled out, but also make it easier for you as a producer of cards to seperate and identify these cards.).

I am interested in how this will shape out, so please keep me informed in your progression. would you also help me have a better feel of the game mechanics, or the features added in the game? For instance, does the background color symbolize something such as the attribute, or type of card.

Side note- I'm not trying to be mean and criticize your designs. Honestly I like how it is coming out to be, but it still needs some tweeks to seperate it from other card games and to make the card more effective/concise. Keep up the good work.

Also don't mind the spelling errors I typed this on my phone at 12 A.M..

Not being mean at all, I can tell your criticism is constructive and out of interest.

The card's color does in fact indicate it's element/attribute. Red for Fire, Blue for Water, Green for Wind, Orange/Brown for Earth, Yellow for Thunder, Purple for Dark, and White/Grey for Light.

The first bar is of course its name, and under it is its Type/Race.

In the picture box are 5 crystals. This indicates the card's level, being anywhere from 1 to 5. Since 3 of the crystals are colored for this card, it's level 3.

Afterwards is the text box, and then the power. But next to power at the bottom right is the illustrator which is technically it's creator.

I can also make the text smaller for the text box, but since this one is vanilla I didn't want the text to be too small.

Archived