This deck's got balls: The Orball archetype [15/15 Cards]

AcediaJC

Just a random little archetype I whipped up just now out of boredom. Potentially really broken I feel, but there's probably some really easy ways to beat them. Basically, they're an archetype of EARTH-attribute Rock monsters that all have 0 ATK and 0 DEF, as well as all have the effect that "Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled". They do a bit of ATK/DEF boosting as well as some effects based on banishing things or effects that trigger when they're banished themselves. There's two Tuners (a level 1 and level 2) as well as a decent variety of levels to give them some flexible Extra Deck options as well. Their main strategy though is probably going to revolve around getting their ATK up to use the doubled battle damage for an OTK.

So anyway, here they are: The Orballs! I'll be adding some Spell/Trap support to the archetype as well later on.

[Spoiler=Cards]

35i249t.png

Orball Seekers

You can banish 1 "Orball" Monster from your deck to Special Summon this card from your hand. Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled. When this card is destroyed as a result of battle, you can add 1 "Orball" card from your deck to your hand.

j14pcy.png

Orball Disruptor

You can banish 1 "Orball" Monster from your deck to Special Summon this card from your hand. Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled. When this card is destroyed as a result of battle, you can return 1 Spell or Trap your opponent controls to its owner's deck.

2j5c7wh.png

Orball Amplifier

If this card is banished, add it to your hand instead. Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled. When this card is Summoned, target 1 "Orball" Monster you control. The target monster gains 1000 ATK until the End Phase of this turn. 

2nqaded.png

Orball Returner

If this card is banished, you can Special Summon 1 banished "Orball" Monster except "Orball Returner". Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled. When this card is destroyed as a result of battle, target 1 "Orball" Monster you control. The target Monster's original ATK and DEF become 1000 permanently.

2im9t0y.png

Orball Eliminator

You can discard this card to return 1 "Orball" Monster from your graveyard to your deck. Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Orball" Monster you control and 1 face-up Monster on either side of the field, then banish both targets.

2pzyb1z.png

Orball Detonator

FLIP: Target 1 face-up Monster your opponent controls, and halve its ATK and DEF until the End Phase. If you do, this card's original ATK and DEF become equal to half the original ATK and DEF of the target Monster. Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled. When this card attacks or is attacked, banish it at the end of the Battle Phase.

10yope0.png

Orball Generator

You can banish 1 "Orball" Monster from your deck to Special Summon this card from your hand. Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled. Once per turn during your End Phase: You can increase the ATK and DEF of 1 "Orball" Monster you control by 500.

2lw29g5.png

Orball Rotator

When this card is banished, you can add 1 "Orball" Tuner Monster from your deck or graveyard to your hand. Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled. Once per turn: You can banish 1 other "Orball" Monster you control, then Special Summon 1 "Orball" Monster with a different name from your deck or graveyard. This card cannot be destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

r0sbxe.png

Orbombardment

Target 1 "Orball" Monster you control, and 1 face-up Monster your opponent controls. Destroy both targets, then increase the ATK of 1 "Orball" Monster you control by half the combined attack of the destroyed Monsters.

f9qxj5.png

Orball Guard

All battle damage you would receive from a battle involving an "Orball" Monster you control is halved. Once per turn during either player's Battle Phase: You can discard 1 card, then target 1 "Orball" Monster you control. Until the End Phase, all battle damage from a battle involving that card is reduced to 0, and it cannot be destroyed as a result of battle.

a2suna.png

Orball Explosion

Destroy all "Orball" Monsters on the field, then Special Summon 1 "Orball" Monster from your hand or deck. That Monster permanently gains 500 ATK and DEF for each card destroyed by this effect. While this card is in the graveyard, except the turn it was activated: You can banish this card to target 1 Monster your opponent controls. Halve that target's ATK and DEF until the End Phase.

2pzife8.png

Orball Energy

Target 1 "Orball" Monster you control. As long as this card is face-up on the field, the target Monster inflicts piercing damage, and its ATK is halved. If the target Monster would be destroyed, you can destroy this card instead. If you do, all battle damage and effect damage you take this turn is reduced to 0.

imikaf.png

Orball Construct

2 level 4 "Orball" Monsters
Once per turn during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from this card. If you do, your opponent takes any battle damage you would have taken from a battle involving this card until the End Phase. This card cannot be destroyed as a result of battle. Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled. When this card is destroyed, you can Special Summon 1 banished "Orball" Monster.

359egiu.png

Orball Fortress

1 "Orball" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Monsters
This card cannot be destroyed as a result of battle. Once per turn: You can banish 1 "Orball" Monster from your graveyard to have this card gain 1000 ATK and DEF. Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled. When this card is destroyed, banish it instead and add 1 banished "Orball" Monster to your hand.

qx6ubo.png

Orball Homeworld

1 "Orball" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Monsters
This card cannot be destroyed as a result of battle. When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can send all banished "Orball" Monsters to their owner's graveyard. Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 "Orball" Monster from your graveyard to your opponent's side of the field. Battle damage from a battle involving this card is doubled. When this card is destroyed, you can double the ATK and DEF of 1 "Orball" Monster you control.

[/spoiler]

Any feedback and suggestions are appreciated. I feel like there may be a lot of room for abuse in this archetype, so if there's any major problems please let me know, with some suggestions for how to fix and balance them if you can.

EDIT: Added 4 new Traps to the set. They might make the archetype even more potentially broken, but with them added I at least feel like the set is complete-ish.

EDIT 2: Added 1 new Monster, Orball Construct.

EDIT 2.5: Added 2 new Synchros, Orball Fortress and Orball Homeworld.

Well, all I can say is at least these aren't Machines. Machine Duplication is a silly enough of a card as a result of the Troop Dupe Scoop deck that got Card Trooper limited. Remember that Dimension Wall is a card, and that with this archetype would be downright evil. Team it up with Battle Mania and An Unfortunate Report and it's an assured OTK. Outside of that silly tactic, tho, I think it's rather interesting, but I don't see what exactly would make them efficient. The problem is the attack increases are kinda slow, and unless you run this deck with Trap Galore, not much will get done without you taking one big chunk of damage because remember, that double damage also applies to you. Maybe something that protects them from battle would be nice, or even a card that activates depending on the amount of damage you take. These things are cool and have some sweet ideas, but they need a better way to keep themselves alive outside of a silly Dimensional Wall OTK deck.

Well, all I can say is at least these aren't Machines. Machine Duplication is a silly enough of a card as a result of the Troop Dupe Scoop deck that got Card Trooper limited. Remember that Dimension Wall is a card, and that with this archetype would be downright evil. Team it up with Battle Mania and An Unfortunate Report and it's an assured OTK. Outside of that silly tactic, tho, I think it's rather interesting, but I don't see what exactly would make them efficient. The problem is the attack increases are kinda slow, and unless you run this deck with Trap Galore, not much will get done without you taking one big chunk of damage because remember, that double damage also applies to you. Maybe something that protects them from battle would be nice, or even a card that activates depending on the amount of damage you take. These things are cool and have some sweet ideas, but they need a better way to keep themselves alive outside of a silly Dimensional Wall OTK deck.

Honestly, the potential combos of these with the traps you listed just sounds hilarious and troll-y enough for me to not want to nerf their ability to use them at all :P And the double damage going both ways was definitely intentional. I wanted them to have a bit of risk factor to them, where if you don't play carefully your opponent can take advantage and deal some huge damage back to you. I've added some traps now (I decided to make the archetype a bit trap heavy to go along with the combos with the cards you mentioned, as well as to give them some pretty easy to side counters like Royal Decree or Jinzo) that should help with their damage capabilities and protection among other things, though I still feel like the archetype may be incredibly broken, especially with the added trap support now.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived