This is a thing I have done on DNF for a while now, this is in fact the 21st Archetype that has done this, but since I haven't done it on here, let me explain it real quick: Basically, what I do is that I take a card that already exists but has no Archetype, and create an Archetype based around it, its name, effects etc. I include the card I'm using for reference. Most of the time, the card is not all too useful for the gimmick I want to create, though sometimes it is an important piece of the Archetype. You can view my other FaA here:

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/index.php?/user/53267-zaziuma/

Today it's about Queen of Thorns, mainly the "pay LP to do stuff" is what I'm going for here.

300px-QueenofThorns-AP05-EN-C-UE.png

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Plant-Type monsters

Each player must pay 1000 LP for each monster Normal or Special Summoned from their hand, except for Plant-Type monsters.

Monsters:

Hunter of Thorns

Plant-Type/LIGHT

Level 4

Each player must pay 1000 LP to declare an attack, except with Plant-Type monsters. When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can target 1 "Thorns" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in Defense Position. You cannot Synchro Summon during the turn you use this effect, except Plant-Type monsters. You can only use this effect of "Hunter of Thorns" once per turn.

1800/1000

Knight of Thorns

Plant-Type/LIGHT

Level 4

Each player must pay 1000 LP to change battle positions, except with Plant-Type monsters. If the battle position of a monster on the field changes: You can discard 1 other card; Special Summon this card from your hand. You cannot Synchro Summon during the turn you use this effect, except Plant-Type monsters. You can only use this effect of "Knight of Thorns" once per turn.

1900/500

Locker of Thorns

Plant-Type/LIGHT

Level 4

Each player must pay 1000 LP to add monsters from their Deck or Graveyard to their hand for each, except Plant-Type monsters. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn: You can Tribute 1 Plant-Type monster from your hand or side of the field, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; this turn, negate its effects, and if you do, it cannot declare an attack.

1600/1500

Keeper of Thorns

Plant-Type/LIGHT

Level 4

Each player must pay 1000 LP to add Spell/Trap Cards from their Deck or Graveyard to their hand, except "Thorns" Spell/Trap Cards. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn, when your opponent activates monster effect: You can Tribute 1 Plant-Type monster from your hand or side of the field; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it.

1700/1300

Sorcerer of Thorns

Plant-Type/LIGHT

Level 4

Each player must pay 1000 LP to activate monster effects that activate on the field, except with Plant-Type monsters. When you Normal Summon or Special Summon a "Thorns" monster(s): You can pay 1000 LP; Special Summon this card from your hand, then change all monsters you control to Defense Position. If you activate this effect, you cannot change the battle position of monsters you control for the rest of the turn. You can only use this effect of Sorcerer of Thorns" once per turn.

1200/1800

Priest of Thorns

Plant-Type/LIGHT/Tuner

Level 2

Each player must pay 1000 LP to activate Spell Cards except "Thorns" Spell Cards. You can Tribute this card; add 1 "Thorns" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. You cannot activate Spell/Trap Cards during the turn you activate this effect, except "Thorns" Spell/Trap Cards. You can only use this effect of "Priest of Thorns" once per turn.

1000/1200

Priestess of Thorns

Plant-Type/LIGHT/Tuner

Level 2

Each player must pay 1000 LP to activate Trap Cards except "Thorns" Trap Cards. You can Tribute this card; add 1 "Thorns" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Priestess of Thorns". You cannot Special Summon monsters during the turn you activate this effect, except Plant-Type monsters. You can only use this effect of "Priestess of Thorns" once per turn.

1200/1000

Spell/Trap Cards:

Field of Thorns

Field Spell Card

Each time you pay 1000 or more LP, place 1 Thorn Counter on this card for each multiple of 1000 you paid. "Thorns" monsters you control gain ATK and DEF equal to number of Thorn Counters on this card x 300. During your End Phase: You can remove all Thorn Counters from this card; both players gain 500 LP for each Thorn Counter removed.

Sword of Thorns

Equip Spell Card

Equip only to a Plant-Type monster. It gains 700 ATK. Once per turn, if it would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, you can pay 1000 LP instead. You can only control 1 "Sword of Thorns".

Prickly Thorns

Normal Trap Card

When your opponent Special Summons a monster(s) while you control another "Thorns" card: Pay 1000 LP for each of those monsters; shuffle that monster(s) into your opponent's Deck, then your opponent 1000 LP for each of those monsters. You can only activate 1 "Prickly Thorns" per turn.

Deadly Thorns

Counter Trap Card

When your opponent would Summon a monster(s) while you control another "Thorns" card: Pay 1000 LP for each of those monsters; negate that Summon(s), and if you do, destroy those monsters, then your opponent gains 1000 LP for each of those monsters. You can only activate 1 "Deadly Thorns" per turn.

This is a thing I have done on DNF for a while now, this is in fact the 21st Archetype that has done this, but since I haven't done it on here, let me explain it real quick: Basically, what I do is that I take a card that already exists but has no Archetype, and create an Archetype based around it, its name, effects etc. I include the card I'm using for reference. Most of the time, the card is not all too useful for the gimmick I want to create, though sometimes it is an important piece of the Archetype. You can view my other FaA here:

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/index.php?/user/53267-zaziuma/

Today it's about Queen of Thorns, mainly the "pay LP to do stuff" is what I'm going for here.

300px-QueenofThorns-AP05-EN-C-UE.png

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Plant-Type monsters

Each player must pay 1000 LP for each monster Normal or Special Summoned from their hand, except for Plant-Type monsters.

Monsters:

Hunter of Thorns

Plant-Type/LIGHT

Level 4

Each player must pay 1000 LP to declare an attack, except with Plant-Type monsters. When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can target 1 "Thorns" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in Defense Position. You cannot Synchro Summon during the turn you use this effect, except Plant-Type monsters. You can only use this effect of "Hunter of Thorns" once per turn.

1800/1000

Sorcerer of Thorns

Plant-Type/LIGHT

Level 4

Each player must pay 1000 LP to activate Trap Cards except "Thorns" Spell Cards. When you Normal Summon or Special Summon a "Thorns" monster(s): You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then change all monsters you control to Defense Position. If you activate this effect, you cannot change the battle position of monsters you control for the rest of the turn. You can only use this effect of Sorcerer of Thorns" once per turn.

1200/2000

Priest of Thorns

Plant-Type/LIGHT/Tuner

Level 2

Each player must pay 1000 LP to activate Trap Cards except "Thorns" Trap Cards. You can Tribute this card; add 1 "Thorns" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. You cannot activate Spell/Trap Cards during the turn you activate this effect, except "Thorns" Spell/Trap Cards. You can only use this effect of "Priest of Thorns" once per turn.

1000/1200

Spell/Trap Cards:

Field of Thorns

Field Spell Card

Each time you pay 1000 or more LP, place 1 Thorn Counter on this card for each multiple of 1000 you paid. "Thorns" monsters you control gain ATK and DEF equal to number of Thorn Counters on this card x 300. During your End Phase: You can remove all Thorn Counters from this card; gain 500 LP for each Thorn Counter removed.

Prickly Thorns

Normal Trap Card

When your opponent Special Summons a monster(s) while you control another "Thorns" card: Pay 1000 LP; shuffle that monster(s) into your opponent's Deck, then draw 1 card. You can only activate 1 "Prickly Thorns" per turn.

Queenie is a level 6 synchro that needs a specific type of monster, it only have 1 effect (annoying one) its effect is balanced.

Hunter has a similar effect to queenie's effect but, is level 4 non-tuner monster plus an additional effect.

Sorcerer You mean Spell card, because you have an error. This card has a similar effect to queenie effect but, is level 4 non-tuner monster plus an additional effect.

Spell card is fine since it only gets counters when YOU pay up and only cares for stat boosting and lp gain which may be useful for like soul charge since your plants and thorns card will not cost you life. This card is very similar to the Psychic Field Spell card.

Priest This card has a similar effect to queenie's effect but, is level 2 tuner monster plus an additional effect to grab the best option Prickly Thorns to stop extra deck nonsense.

Mr. Prickly Proud only 1000 for multiple targets? (like soul charge that does multiple special summoning) and draw 1? Just drop the draw 1 part.

MY remedies: Each player must pay 1000 LP to activate BLAH Cards except "Thorns" BLAH Cards, you must control another "Thorns" card to activate and resolve this effect. Get the right monsters and possible additional Prickly on the field you opponent will have to half killed themselves to dig themselves out the hole you made for them which means they would be easy picking after all the paying in sums of 1000s. You also need a Equip spell card with an effect that will protect QUEENIE and or your other thorns monsters since you will not spam out everything quickly enough. Something add your monsters to your hand quickly for super nutrient or 1 more additional normal summon but only for plant-type monster for like lonefire.

Just saying, you could potentially use Darkworld Thorns with this archetype. Not that you'd want to, but hey, that's a thing to think about.

Anyway, this archetype can be quite broken if you have all of the monsters on the field, since you attacking, summoning, etc has no drawback whatsoever, and your opponent will immediately lose if they have 1000 or less LP. You could maybe fix this by having to discard a card at the end of your turn or something, but whatever.

Anyway, I hope these comments help you in your quest of making this a successful archetype.

Queenie is a level 6 synchro that needs a specific type of monster, it only have 1 effect (annoying one) its effect is balanced.

Hunter has a similar effect to queenie's effect but, is level 4 non-tuner monster plus an additional effect.

Sorcerer You mean Spell card, because you have an error. This card has a similar effect to queenie effect but, is level 4 non-tuner monster plus an additional effect.

Spell card is fine since it only gets counters when YOU pay up and only cares for stat boosting and lp gain which may be useful for like soul charge since your plants and thorns card will not cost you life. This card is very similar to the Psychic Field Spell card.

Priest This card has a similar effect to queenie's effect but, is level 2 tuner monster plus an additional effect to grab the best option Prickly Thorns to stop extra deck nonsense.

Mr. Prickly Proud only 1000 for multiple targets? (like soul charge that does multiple special summoning) and draw 1? Just drop the draw 1 part.

MY remedies: Each player must pay 1000 LP to activate BLAH Cards except "Thorns" BLAH Cards, you must control another "Thorns" card to activate and resolve this effect. Get the right monsters and possible additional Prickly on the field you opponent will have to half killed themselves to dig themselves out the hole you made for them which means they would be easy picking after all the paying in sums of 1000s. You also need a Equip spell card with an effect that will protect QUEENIE and or your other thorns monsters since you will not spam out everything quickly enough. Something add your monsters to your hand quickly for super nutrient or 1 more additional normal summon but only for plant-type monster for like lonefire.

Fixed the mistake about Sorcerer and made Prickly require a 1000 LP cost for each monster.

Finished the Archetype. It turned out to be kind of weird in the end, but eh, you judge.

EDIT:
Did a bit of testing on Duel Portal, and made some changes. Here's the Deck list I used. I am not using Locker, but only Keeper. Depends on what you prefer, but yeah, I only have Keeper. They're public in case anyone wants to test them out.

Monsters: 20
3 Hunter of Thorns
3 Priest of Thorns
3 Priestess of Thorns
3 Sorcerer of Thorns
2 Knight of Thorns
2 Lonefire Blossom
2 Keeper of Thorns
1 Dandylion
1 Honest

Spells: 9
3 Field of Thorns
2 Sword of Thorns
2 Mystical Space Typhoon
2 Pot of Duality

Traps: 11
2 Deadly Thorns
2 Prickly Thorns
2 Dimensional Prison
2 Breakthrough Skill
1 Solemn Warning
1 Compulsory Evacuation Device
1 Bottomless Trap Hole

Extra:
1 Abyss Dweller
1 Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon
1 Evilswarm Exciton Knight
1 Maestroke the Symphony Djinn
1 Number 101: Silent Honor ARK
1 Number 103: Ragna Zero
1 Number 82: Heartlandraco
1 Starliege Paladynamo
1 Castel the Avian Skyblaster
2 Queen of Thorns
1 Ally of Justice Catastor
1 Armades, Keeper of Boundaries
1 HTS Psyhemuth
1 Goyo Guardian

I have not read all the cards yet but will post a couple of comments before I forget:

- I noticed some cards support "Thorns" cards. I think it wouldn't hurt if it could support existing "Thorn" cards as well, namely "Magical Thorn" (which would go well with the archetype's theme of hurting LP) "Evil Thorn" and "Wall of Thorns" (because searching for a Plant-themed Mirror Force would be awesome). If you are concerned about supporting non-Plant "Thorn" monsters (e.g. Meanae the Thorn, Interplanetarypurplythorny monsters), you could solve that issue by restricting the effects to applying on Plant-Type "Thorn" monsters.

- I think paying 1000 LP for pretty much doing anything is too much. I would stick with lower LP payments such as 200~300 and leave the big number to the Queen. Alternatively, allow the Field Spell Card to affect the opponent as well, so he/she will be able to relief the "damage" (technically LP payments, but it still hurts) he/she takes. Also the duel might get a bit more interesting with the Counter war that will ensue with the Field Spell (both players fighting for Counters to replenish their health).

- Isn't the Queen supposed to be the boss here? I think you could further support her by going all Yang Zing and giving the "Thorn" monsters different effects that buff Plant-Type Synchro monsters when they are used as Synchro Material:

A Plant-Type Synchro Monster that used this card as a Synchro Material [insert effect here].

I have not read all the cards yet but will post a couple of comments before I forget:

- I noticed some cards support "Thorns" cards. I think it wouldn't hurt if it could support existing "Thorn" cards as well, namely "Magical Thorn" (which would go well with the archetype's theme of hurting LP) "Evil Thorn" and "Wall of Thorns" (because searching for a Plant-themed Mirror Force would be awesome). If you are concerned about supporting non-Plant "Thorn" monsters (e.g. Meanae the Thorn, Interplanetarypurplythorny monsters), you could solve that issue by restricting the effects to applying on Plant-Type "Thorn" monsters.

- I think paying 1000 LP for pretty much doing anything is too much. I would stick with lower LP payments such as 200~300 and leave the big number to the Queen. Alternatively, allow the Field Spell Card to affect the opponent as well, so he/she will be able to relief the "damage" (technically LP payments, but it still hurts) he/she takes. Also the duel might get a bit more interesting with the Counter war that will ensue with the Field Spell (both players fighting for Counters to replenish their health).

- Isn't the Queen supposed to be the boss here? I think you could further support her by going all Yang Zing and giving the "Thorn" monsters different effects that buff Plant-Type Synchro monsters when they are used as Synchro Material:

A Plant-Type Synchro Monster that used this card as a Synchro Material [insert effect here].

I meant Thorns, as I didn't want any previous support. There are a few, but those are not really worth using.

They are quite easy to get over really, and there are so many removal cards these days that it won't matter much. You also can't spam all that much in this Archetype from testing. The whole Counter for both players doesn't really work, since Counters aren't under any ownership in the game, so that would just be confusing.

No, I don't want that, that isn't really suppose to be the point here, anyway, and I wanted to keep them simple.

I meant Thorns, as I didn't want any previous support. There are a few, but those are not really worth using.

They may not be worth of using, but still it would be cool to have the choice of searching them, if only for encouraging creativity.

And "Evil Thorn" is not that bad as free Synchro/Tribute fodder, or at worst a 2-material Rank1/Downerd.

But I won't insist with this suggestion.

They are quite easy to get over really, and there are so many removal cards these days that it won't matter much. You also can't spam all that much in this Archetype from testing. The whole Counter for both players doesn't really work, since Counters aren't under any ownership in the game, so that would just be confusing.

Only because a card can be countered, it doesn't mean it is fair. Also, they may be easy to remove, but they pressure the opponent into either spending resources or going for suboptimal plays to remove them, or taking heavy damage.

Then, considering the high amounts of LP the opponent will be paying, the archetype could degenerate into a "Burn deck feat. Thorns", and, you know, burn decks are not healthy for the game because they don't care about player interaction, which is not fun. Hence the suggestion of dropping the LP costs.

Regarding the latter, counter ownership is irrelevant, you could simply allow both players to remove Counters from the field to gain LP:

During their respective End Phases: The turn player can remove all Thorn Counters from this card; that player gains 500 LP for each Thorn Counter removed.

But I digress, you are not interested in the suggestion anyways.

No, I don't want that, that isn't really suppose to be the point here, anyway, and I wanted to keep them simple.

Fair enough. I don't get how adding 1 more effect to each Thorn monster could make things more complicated, though.

Now that I think about it, if Queen is not one of the deck's goal, then why bother with the Level 2 Tuners? You might as well make them Level 4 and give them better stats to increase their survivability.

Actually, what's the goal or win condition of the archetype? Place your Thorns on the field to soft lock the opponent while stopping his/her Summons with the Trap cards? I think that's too restrictive and doesn't seem healthy for the game in the first place.

They may not be worth of using, but still it would be cool to have the choice of searching them, if only for encouraging creativity.
And "Evil Thorn" is not that bad as free Synchro/Tribute fodder, or at worst a 2-material Rank1/Downerd.

But I won't insist with this suggestion.

Only because a card can be countered, it doesn't mean it is fair. Also, they may be easy to remove, but they pressure the opponent into either spending resources or going for suboptimal plays to remove them, or taking heavy damage.

Then, considering the high amounts of LP the opponent will be paying, the archetype could degenerate into a "Burn deck feat. Thorns", and, you know, burn decks are not healthy for the game because they don't care about player interaction, which is not fun. Hence the suggestion of dropping the LP costs.

Regarding the latter, counter ownership is irrelevant, you could simply allow both players to remove Counters from the field to gain LP:
During their respective End Phases: The turn player can remove all Thorn Counters from this card; that player gains 500 LP for each Thorn Counter removed.

But I digress, you are not interested in the suggestion anyways.

Fair enough. I don't get how adding 1 more effect to each Thorn monster could make things more complicated, though.
Now that I think about it, if Queen is not one of the deck's goal, then why bother with the Level 2 Tuners? You might as well make them Level 4 and give them better stats to increase their survivability.

Actually, what's the goal or win condition of the archetype? Place your Thorns on the field to soft lock the opponent while stopping his/her Summons with the Trap cards? I think that's too restrictive and doesn't seem healthy for the game in the first place.

The thing is that I don't want to reduce it to a point where the payment doesn't matter, that IS the idea here and if I reduce it they won't work with Field of Thorns but if I make that like 500, it gains Counters too easily so 1000 is a bigger cost for the Counters. This isn't really a burn Deck I would say, they aren't aggressive at all, it is purely what your opponent wants to pay out that is going to hurt them and for the most part, that will not be more than once per turn if you just kill the issue, which isn't very hard due to their general low stats and drawbacks in their effects. You already have an issue with them but you want them to have more support? This confuses me. I don't want that either since these have nothing in common with other Thorn cards. The main goal is to get out Queen, with either the Sword or Field so it can get over stuff.

EDIT:

I added that both players gain LP with Field when you remove Counters. I added that the opponent gains LP for each monster with the Trap Cards.

I guess I didn't explain myself too well.

It is not that I have an issue with them and yet I want support for them, but rather:

To put it simply, my suggestion was to shift the "soft lock with LP payments" win condition of the archetype to "reward you for summoning Queen and beat things up with her", leaving the LP payment effects aside and as a mere reference to the Queen's gimmick. In other words, drop the "pay for doing stuff" gimmick in exchange of a more solid/consistent archetype that focuses on dropping Plant-Type Synchros (Splendid Rose would also be an option).

As it stands, the "pay for doing stuff" gimmick holds the archetype back, as you cannot allow it to swarm too much because then you would soft lock everything, and you must give the monsters average effects, stats or drawbacks for balancing their "Pay 1000 LP" effects.

However, if the high LP payments were no longer an issue, you could safely go for stronger effects. For instance, Priest or Priestess could easily become a Thorn version of  "Alien Ammonite", allowing quick, 1-card Synchro plays; or you could remove the cost of Knight and make the position change side-effect of Sorcerer optional, for better swarming capabilities.

Anyways, you already told me you are not interested in dropping the LP payments so I won't insist. I'm not trying to shove in my ideas here; I just wanted to clear up any confusion. Besides, these are merely suggestions, and of course you are free to take them or leave them.

Archived