Freeze everything! Nothing will move! [17/17]

lokun489

Deep in the tundra exist a series of monsters who exist only to bring everything to a standstill. When things reach sub zero and there is no heat, no motion in the world, they will be happy. So they freeze everything with their power, the power of "Freqoal"!

The play style is simple, they make the opponent either unable to act, or that acting is a bad idea. In order to prevent such abilities like "your opponent can't draw" from being over powered they require "Freqoal" to be on the field, creating them with effects or keeping them alive by moving what card they are on.

[spoiler=monsters]

tk3wr5K.jpg

"Freqoal Flyer"

Water/Aqua/Level 4

Whenever your opponent special summons a monster from their grave it gains the following effect:
A monster summoned using this card as material (synchro, fusion, or xyz) can not attack or activate its effect the turn it is summoned.
Attack:1400 Defense: 1200

Fue0V0v.jpg
"Freqoal Guardians"
Water/Aqua/ Level 4
During either players turn you can discard this card: all monsters your opponent controls lose attack equal to the number of "Freqoal" counters on the field x200. If this card is destroyed by battle add one "Freqoal" monster from your deck to your hand.
Attack: 1200 Defense:2000

OxyfljW.jpg
"Freqoal Intimidater"
Water/Aqua/Level 4
Whenever your opponent plays a card roll a die and place "Freqoal" counters on this card equal to the result shown. If ten or more counters are placed on this card during one turn then special summoned monsters your opponent controls can't attack this turn.
Attack:1800 Defense:0

9ZR3ydB.jpg
"Freqoal Hunter"
Water/Aqua/Level 4
Monsters your opponent controls lose 100 attack for every "Freqoal" counter on the field. If this card is destroyed place five "Freqoal" counters on one card you control.
Attack: 1100 Defense: 1600

rV13tY5.jpg
"Freqoal Jellyfish"
Water/Aqua/Level 4
Your opponent can not add cards to their hand (except by drawing). If this card is used as material for the summon of a "Freqoal" XYZ monster your opponent cannot negate the summon.
Attack: 1500 Defense:1700

FeQB6Sw.jpg
"Freqoal Devotee"
Water/Aqua/Level 4
When this card is summoned, if there are ten or more "Freqoal" counters on the field you can play one "Freqoal" card from your grave (monsters are treated as being special summoned.)
Attack:1300 Defense:1500

[/Spoiler]

[spoiler=Spells/Traps]
QUoAX2t.jpg
"Freqoal Palace"
Field Spell
Whenever a card with "Freqoal" counters on it would be destroyed, you can instead place it on this card. When you play a "Freqoal" card you can place one "Freqoal" counter on one card you control.
If this card has ten or more "Freqoal" counters on it then your opponent must skip either their standby phase, main phase 1, or battle phase each turn.

uv3vM44.jpg
"Freqoal World Ender"
Normal Spell
Place one "Freqoal" counter on every card on the field, then monsters your opponent controls lose attack equal to the number of "Freqoal" counters on the field x200.

VNK0yTH.jpg
"Freqoal Jar"
Normal Spell
You activate one of the following effects for every five "Freqoal" counters on the field:
*Add one "Freqoal" monster to your hand
*Special summon one "Freqoal" monster (from your hand)
*shuffle one "Freqoal" monster from your graveyard into your deck
You can only activate each effect of "Jar of the Freqoal" once per turn.

46mTwxM.jpg
"Freqoal Throne"
Normal Spell
Activate by placing two "Freqoal" counters onto a"Freqoal" cards you control: your opponent draws a card and they skip their next draw phase.

nXrT8BE.jpg
"Freqoal Pinpoint"
Normal Spell
Activate only if your opponent skipped a phase last turn: they place two cards from their hand onto the bottom of their deck. Your opponent can negate the activation of this card by placing ten "Freqoal"counters onto your side of the field, then they lose life points equal to the number of "Freqoal" x50.

CYziYzV.jpg
"Freqoal Chill"
Continuous Trap
During your opponents turn "Freqoal" monsters you control gain attack equal to the number of "Freqoal" counters on the field x100.
XthkTdx.jpg
"Freqoal Drowner"
Counter Trap
During your turn if your opponent activates a trap card you can discard one "Freqoal" card; Negate the activation and shuffle the trap back into your opponents deck: and then place one "Freqoal" counter on every face up card

f8EXwzQ.jpg
"Freqoal Warning"
Normal Trap
Activate only if a card effect is activated during your opponents end phase by placing three "Freqoal" counters onto "Freqoal" cards you control: your opponent skips this end phase and their next end phase.

[/Spoiler]

[Spoiler=Extra Deck]
3nWf3Yr.jpg
"Freqoal Whale"
Water/Aqua/ Rank 4
Two Level four "Freqoal" monsters
Activate only if there are twenty or more "Freqoal" counters on the field by detaching one xyz material from this card: your opponent skips their next draw phase.
Attack:1800 Defense:3000

cHCPXUl.jpg
"Freqoal Mammoth"
Water/Aqua/Rank 4
Three Level 4 "Freqoal"monsters
Once per turn you can detach one Xyz material from this card: your opponent skips their next main phase 1.
Attack:2200 Defense:3000

ZDc2YRp.jpg
"Freqoal Wyrm"
Water/Aqua/Rank 4
Two level four "Freqoal" monsters.
If a card effect would cause your opponent to skip a phase, they can not skip a phase that they skipped last turn (if the effect targets a specific phase your opponent chooses the new target).
Attack:2400 Defense: 2200

[/Spoiler]

So let me know what you think of the cards I've created. I'm still trying to decide on some other good effects for the deck and other good monsters.

I have a bit to say about what I see here. First, to start, several wordings could be changed:

Flyer: "When your opponent Special Summons a monster from the Graveyard, it gains the following effect:

A monster Special Summoned by using this card as a Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Material cannot attack on the same turn it is Summoned."

Guardians: "During either player's turn, you card discard this card; Monsters your opponent controls lose 200 ATK for each Freqoal Counter on the field. If this card is destroyed by battle, you can add 1 "Freqoal" monster from your Deck to your hand."

Intimidator: "Whenever your opponent Summons a monster(s) or activates a card effect(s), roll a six-sided die. Place an equal amount of Freqoal Counters on the field equal to the die roll. When 10 or more Freqoal Counters are on this card, your opponent's Special Summoned monster cannot attack on the same turn they are Summoned."

There are a few more, but they are much simpler so I'll leave those out. Anywho, I like the idea of this. You decrease your opponents ATK so they can't attack you, you prevent them from further attacking so you can stack your counters and they won't be able to attack once again, and you skip their draw phase with Whale so they literally are quite stuck. However, there are a few key things missing in this. Mainly, it doesn't build up to enough of a threat. Against Qliphorts, you're gonna have a rough time combatting Skill Drain, 2400+ beatsticks, and Apoquilphort Killer. What I think would really improve it is giving more ways to halt your opponent, skipping more Phases than the Draw Phase maybe. Think about cards like Solomon's Lawbook, Timeater, Terminal World, Frozen Soul, etc. These cards skip other essential phases such as Battle Phase and even the Main Phases, which are very quintissential and force your opponent to make plays they normally wouldn't make. Maybe make the Field Spell do it depending on the number of Freqoal Counters on the card itself. Maybe 5-10 they skip their next Standby, 10-15 they skip Main Phase 2, etc. It gives the deadly factor and makes it an actual threat and not just "Ok, just another stall deck, except as an archetype" and more of a "What just happened?" factor to it.

I have a bit to say about what I see here. First, to start, several wordings could be changed:

Flyer: "When your opponent Special Summons a monster from the Graveyard, it gains the following effect:

A monster Special Summoned by using this card as a Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Material cannot attack on the same turn it is Summoned."

Guardians: "During either player's turn, you card discard this card; Monsters your opponent controls lose 200 ATK for each Freqoal Counter on the field. If this card is destroyed by battle, you can add 1 "Freqoal" monster from your Deck to your hand."

Intimidator: "Whenever your opponent Summons a monster(s) or activates a card effect(s), roll a six-sided die. Place an equal amount of Freqoal Counters on the field equal to the die roll. When 10 or more Freqoal Counters are on this card, your opponent's Special Summoned monster cannot attack on the same turn they are Summoned."

There are a few more, but they are much simpler so I'll leave those out. Anywho, I like the idea of this. You decrease your opponents ATK so they can't attack you, you prevent them from further attacking so you can stack your counters and they won't be able to attack once again, and you skip their draw phase with Whale so they literally are quite stuck. However, there are a few key things missing in this. Mainly, it doesn't build up to enough of a threat. Against Qliphorts, you're gonna have a rough time combatting Skill Drain, 2400+ beatsticks, and Apoquilphort Killer. What I think would really improve it is giving more ways to halt your opponent, skipping more Phases than the Draw Phase maybe. Think about cards like Solomon's Lawbook, Timeater, Terminal World, Frozen Soul, etc. These cards skip other essential phases such as Battle Phase and even the Main Phases, which are very quintissential and force your opponent to make plays they normally wouldn't make. Maybe make the Field Spell do it depending on the number of Freqoal Counters on the card itself. Maybe 5-10 they skip their next Standby, 10-15 they skip Main Phase 2, etc. It gives the deadly factor and makes it an actual threat and not just "Ok, just another stall deck, except as an archetype" and more of a "What just happened?" factor to it.

I actually really like that idea. So the field spell was edited to be:

Whenever a card with "Freqoal" counters on it would be destroyed, you can instead place it on this card. When you play a "Freqoal" card you can place one "Freqoal" counter on one card you control.
If this card has ten or more "Freqoal" counters on it then your opponent must skip either their standby phase, main phase 1, or battle phase each turn.

I actually really like that idea. So the field spell was edited to be:

That would work. Maybe make it so they can't skip the same phase twice in a row. I'm not sure what the proper OCG would be for this, but it would avoid cheap get arounds, such as just skipping the Standby Phase. That or maybe skip the End Phase, since that would mean Decks like Bujin and Burning Abyss would actually have to think about it, though maybe that is too good, I'll leave that to you.

That would work. Maybe make it so they can't skip the same phase twice in a row. I'm not sure what the proper OCG would be for this, but it would avoid cheap get arounds, such as just skipping the Standby Phase. That or maybe skip the End Phase, since that would mean Decks like Bujin and Burning Abyss would actually have to think about it, though maybe that is too good, I'll leave that to you.

You have given me so many good ideas! Added "Freqoal Wyrm" a new XYZ monster, based around your opponent not skipping the same thing in a row, "Freqoal Devotee" to speed up the deck, "Freqoal Throne" as a weird one, and "Freqoal warning". to target the endphase.

First of all, just wanted to say that I love these images! Some of them look like actual yugioh cards.

I don't really see the point of a lot of these cards. On Freqoal Wyrm, it makes it so that your opponent can not skip a phase they would normally skip, however that seems counter productive, as you would want them to skip their draw phase so that they don't draw cards. Freqoal Warning is totally pointless because about 95% of the time, skipping their end phase doesn't do anything. On Freqoal Palace, skipping their standby phase is also mostly pointless. Also, skipping their main phase could be bad, because you want them to get rid of cards in their hand so that you can win with Mammoth. Freqoal Throne seems counter-productive because you don't want to give them cards. And I really don't get the reffect of Freqoal Flyer. When an opponent summons a monster from their Graveyard, Flyer gains the effect that when you use that monster as a matertial for a special summon (which I assume would be your card), the special summoned monster can't activate it's effect? That doesn't make sense on any level. Also Mammoth and Whale need their ATK decrease if they're going to have 3000 defense. Otherwise they can't be 4 rank monsters.

The entire archetype seems disjointed. Some cards focus on decreasing your opponents ATK, which makes sense in that you want to destroy monsters, but outside of Wym and Intimidator, you don't have enough of an offensive presense to take advantage of that. Other cards focus on skipping phases, but most of the time that seems rather pointless when it's not their draw phase or main phase, as your goal is to get rid of all of their cards to win the duel with Mammoth. Focus on cards that help achieve Mammoths goal. Also there are a bunch of OCG errors, but I wouldn't worry about those until you get a better foundation of the archetype.

First of all, just wanted to say that I love these images! Some of them look like actual yugioh cards.

I don't really see the point of a lot of these cards. On Freqoal Wyrm, it makes it so that your opponent can not skip a phase they would normally skip, however that seems counter productive, as you would want them to skip their draw phase so that they don't draw cards. Freqoal Warning is totally pointless because about 95% of the time, skipping their end phase doesn't do anything. On Freqoal Palace, skipping their standby phase is also mostly pointless. Also, skipping their main phase could be bad, because you want them to get rid of cards in their hand so that you can win with Mammoth. Freqoal Throne seems counter-productive because you don't want to give them cards. And I really don't get the reffect of Freqoal Flyer. When an opponent summons a monster from their Graveyard, Flyer gains the effect that when you use that monster as a matertial for a special summon (which I assume would be your card), the special summoned monster can't activate it's effect? That doesn't make sense on any level. Also Mammoth and Whale need their ATK decrease if they're going to have 3000 defense. Otherwise they can't be 4 rank monsters.

The entire archetype seems disjointed. Some cards focus on decreasing your opponents ATK, which makes sense in that you want to destroy monsters, but outside of Wym and Intimidator, you don't have enough of an offensive presense to take advantage of that. Other cards focus on skipping phases, but most of the time that seems rather pointless when it's not their draw phase or main phase, as your goal is to get rid of all of their cards to win the duel with Mammoth. Focus on cards that help achieve Mammoths goal. Also there are a bunch of OCG errors, but I wouldn't worry about those until you get a better foundation of the archetype.

Maybe I phrased Wyrm incorrectly. What it is supposed to do, is when your opponent would skip a phase because of a card effect, if they skipped the exact same phase last turn (such as Palace making them skip either their standby mainphase or battle phase) they couldn't skip the same phase, and would instead choose a different phase to target. So they couldn't just skip their standby phase, they'd have to pick their main or battle phase the next turn.

As for Warning, it is kind of stupid, but I also like it..

Throne is a cheap way to make your opponent skip a phase which accidentally became the theme of the deck. I also think I should change Mammoth.

Flyer gives the effect to the opponents card, and with Whale I can agree, but with the number of materials on Mammoth I disagree for him.

As for the attack decrease, it was originally a main focus so they wouldn't attack during their turn, but then it kind of shifted to skipping phases...which is odd to me but I'm okay with it.

Alright, so now Wyrm makes sense, but now I really don't see the point of it. If the effect had been they skip another phase in addition to the phase they would skip because of a card effect, then I could see it's use, but right now it doesn't really do anything. You have a lot of cards skipping random phases which doens't really help accomplish your goal.

What do you want the goal of your deck to be? You need to build around 1 goal instead of just putting a bunch of cards with somewhat like effects together. I would suggest focusing it on summoning Mammoth and winning by it's effect. Or you could go and do a total lockdown "freeze" deck like what I think you want to go for.

Speaking of Mammoth, I didn't even look at how many monsters that's needed to summon. Now the ATK and DEF is fair (though you should probably put some more DEF into it), but now I'm wondering how you're going to get that many monsters on the field to summon it.

Basically, you need to make up your mind, and then build around that.

You have given me so many good ideas! Added "Freqoal Wyrm" a new XYZ monster, based around your opponent not skipping the same thing in a row, "Freqoal Devotee" to speed up the deck, "Freqoal Throne" as a weird one, and "Freqoal warning". to target the endphase.

I dig it. I'll give it some testing cause this seems interesting where it's going now. Devotee would definitely make Shore Knight interesting in this archetype and since Jar is a thing, and it makes Intimidator + Whale become a power play essentially, something needed. Wyrm is great, provides a powerhouse and it also makes for another power play (Field Spell + Field Barrier + Wyrm). The only thing I can maybe see going wrong is first turn Intimidator is the equivalent of Dragunity currently depending on opening with Dux or Leigonnaire and Spear of Destiny. There needs to be a way to eliminate this. Also, I might have to agree with thegreatmightypoo as well. though this Phase Skip strategy seems to put in work. Mammoth also seems rather pointless now. If you want to keep it at 4 materials, give it a bigger DEF (Maybe make it gain ATK/DEF for each material?) and maybe an effect that prevents targeting. I feel that most archetypes rn are getting that shield that prevents their field from getting ruined by a simple Karma Cut or PWWB, and both of those target. Pendulum Moratorium for Qliphorts and DDDs, Shaddolls got Shekahinga and they can make Leo, Satellarknights got Nova Alpha, and Quasar has, do I have to even say it? Point is that it's relevant and something to think about.

Alright, well now you have a more unified theme (though I still don't understand what Wyrm's effect is), except your monsters need to be brought up to speed on that. However... I don't really see a win condition now. I don't really see how you win the duel. Your monsters aren't strong enough to take advantage of skipping phases, and you don't have any other way of winning. Wave-Motion Cannon maybe? Not enough spell protection for that. I really don't think you should've gotten rid of Mammoth's win effect, that at least made it to where your deck had a goal. I dunno dude, you're deck's kinda all over the place with counters and phases still. Skipping phases is a neat idea but you need to build a way to win around that. I kinda just realized how much work your deck needs. Think of a way to win the duel, then build your deck theme around that.

Alright, well now you have a more unified theme (though I still don't understand what Wyrm's effect is), except your monsters need to be brought up to speed on that. However... I don't really see a win condition now. I don't really see how you win the duel. Your monsters aren't strong enough to take advantage of skipping phases, and you don't have any other way of winning. Wave-Motion Cannon maybe? Not enough spell protection for that. I really don't think you should've gotten rid of Mammoth's win effect, that at least made it to where your deck had a goal. I dunno dude, you're deck's kinda all over the place with counters and phases still. Skipping phases is a neat idea but you need to build a way to win around that. I kinda just realized how much work your deck needs. Think of a way to win the duel, then build your deck theme around that.

I read this and was originally like, "well you just don't get it." Then I thought about it for a second and thought "Fuck they're right." 

So to give the deck more power to take advantage of skipped phases and the counters I added some more Attack lowering effects by changing the effects of cards that didn't fit the theme anymore. "Freqoal World Ender" was originally a cheap way to extend your life. This new version slows the opponent further. With how "Freqoal Chill" was before it prevented your opponent from attacking by just saying they couldn't attack. The new version just powers up your monsters, but only during your opponents turn, again preventing them from attacking but for a different reason. I feel that with being able to mess with attack while preventing your opponent from launching counter attacks or counter strategies by preventing them from taking phases, while making the monsters they do have useless by removing their attack with counters, makes for a good theme and an easy to understand win condition. Though I could be wrong.

I read this and was originally like, "well you just don't get it." Then I thought about it for a second and thought "f*** they're right." 

So to give the deck more power to take advantage of skipped phases and the counters I added some more Attack lowering effects by changing the effects of cards that didn't fit the theme anymore. "Freqoal World Ender" was originally a cheap way to extend your life. This new version slows the opponent further. With how "Freqoal Chill" was before it prevented your opponent from attacking by just saying they couldn't attack. The new version just powers up your monsters, but only during your opponents turn, again preventing them from attacking but for a different reason. I feel that with being able to mess with attack while preventing your opponent from launching counter attacks or counter strategies by preventing them from taking phases, while making the monsters they do have useless by removing their attack with counters, makes for a good theme and an easy to understand win condition. Though I could be wrong.

What I think this thing needs really is a Grapha. Not something as broken as him, but sort of a card that reminds you how out of the game you are. Intimidator is gonna put in a lot of work, but its gonna be that decrease that will (Once you stop them from making their power plays through your phase skipping) prevent them from coming back. Intimidator + Whale can put in a lot of work, but they only have 1800 ATK each. Gem Knight Pearl can kill the former, while Whale has to stay in Defense Mode. In fact, this entire archetype will have to stay in Defense Mode. Hunter seems really good and would be the one to get the job done, so maybe work with him to make a boss monster out of him. Appearance wise he looks so much like Sea Dragon Lord Gishilnodon, so the first thing I would think is make him a Level 8 Dragon Synchro and make one of them a tuner so then you have a monster that not only stands out because its the only Freqoal Synchro, but will be something that tells them "You ain't leavin ere anytime soon". It would need an effect to add counters so Intimidator wasn't absolutely necessary to keep out, but after that, you got the perfect effect setup for a good boss. It just needs to look like an actual threat, and then you got yourself a win condition right there.

What I think this thing needs really is a Grapha. Not something as broken as him, but sort of a card that reminds you how out of the game you are. Intimidator is gonna put in a lot of work, but its gonna be that decrease that will (Once you stop them from making their power plays through your phase skipping) prevent them from coming back. Intimidator + Whale can put in a lot of work, but they only have 1800 ATK each. Gem Knight Pearl can kill the former, while Whale has to stay in Defense Mode. In fact, this entire archetype will have to stay in Defense Mode. Hunter seems really good and would be the one to get the job done, so maybe work with him to make a boss monster out of him. Appearance wise he looks so much like Sea Dragon Lord Gishilnodon, so the first thing I would think is make him a Level 8 Dragon Synchro and make one of them a tuner so then you have a monster that not only stands out because its the only Freqoal Synchro, but will be something that tells them "You ain't leavin ere anytime soon". It would need an effect to add counters so Intimidator wasn't absolutely necessary to keep out, but after that, you got the perfect effect setup for a good boss. It just needs to look like an actual threat, and then you got yourself a win condition right there.

I personally think it would be pretty cool to win with a really defensive deck, especially considering the theme. I really liked Mammoth's old win condition because of that. But you're right, if he doesn't go that route, then the deck needs a boss monster win condition.

Archived