Clockpunk Archetype, steampunk robots that spam self-destructing Synchros [10/10 Cards]

AcediaJC

Just another of my random ideas I've head. The Clockpunk archetype is a set of EARTH Machine-type monsters focused on the idea of getting out certain Synchro monsters at a very rapid pace, however those Synchros won't stay on the field very long as they have to tribute themselves for their effects. There's three effect monsters, three tuners, and four Synchros (So far at least. The set is more or less complete as is, but I may add more support down the road). Hopefully they aren't too broken or easy to abuse in any way. One thing I'm particularly concerned about is loopholes that would let them possibly spam other non-Clockpunk Synchros or Xyz monsters. All the non-tuners have an effect that prevents you from summoning from your extra deck except for the Clockpunk synchros, but I'm not sure if that completely prevents them from easily spamming out other things.

Anyway, here's the cards! As always, feedback is greatly appreciated.

[Spoiler=The Clockpunk Army]

2jcaf83.png

Clockpunk Knight

When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 "Clockpunk" Tuner Monster from your deck. Its effects are negated, and it is banished when it leaves the field. You cannot Special Summon any Monsters from your Extra Deck except "Clockpunk" Monsters.

122f3id.png

Clockpunk Tunneller

If you control 1 or more "Clockpunk" Synchro Monsters, you can discard this card to add 1 "Clockpunk" Monster except "Clockpunk Tunneller" in your graveyard to your hand. You can banish this card from your graveyard (Except during the turn it was discarded) to add 1 "Clockpunk" non-Tuner Monster from your deck to your hand.

2i7w9s6.png

Clockpunk Cannon

1 Tuner Monster + 1 "Clockpunk" non-Tuner Monster
This card's Summon cannot be negated. You can tribute this card to destroy up to 2 Monsters your opponent controls, then inflict damage to their Life Points equal to the combined levels of those monsters x 100. During the End Phase of the turn this card's effect was activated, if you control no Monsters, you can add 1 "Clockpunk" non-Tuner Monster from your graveyard to your hand.

nf4m5f.png

Clockpunk Soldier

While on the field or in your graveyard, this card's name is treated as "Clockpunk Knight". If you control no other "Clockpunk" Monsters, you can Special Summon 1 "Clockpunk" Tuner Monster from your hand or graveyard. If this card is destroyed (either by battle or an opponent's card effect), you can Special Summon 1 "Clockpunk Knight" from your deck. You cannot Special Summon any Monsters from your Extra Deck except "Clockpunk" Monsters.

14o9mis.png

Clockpunk Grunt

When this card is Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 "Clockpunk Knight" from your graveyard. You can banish this card from your graveyard to Special Summon 1 "Clockpunk" Tuner Monster except "Clockpunk Grunt" from your hand.

2h7qi3d.png

Clockpunk Artillery

This card's Summon cannot be negated. You can tribute this card to destroy up to 2 Spell/Trap Cards your opponent controls. During the End Phase of the turn this card's effect was activated, if you control no Monsters, you can add 1 "Clockpunk" Tuner Monster from your graveyard to your hand.

28lyoub.png

Clockpunk Steam Dragon

1 Tuner Monster + 1 or more "Clockpunk" non-Tuner Monsters
This card's Summon cannot be negated. Once per turn: You can tribute this card to return 1 card your opponent controls to the bottom of their deck. During your next Standby Phase after this card's effect was activated, you can Special Summon it from your graveyard. When a "Clockpunk" Synchro Monster you control except "Clockpunk Steam Dragon" is tributed by its own effect, you can discard 1 card to return it to your Extra Deck instead.

jr351f.png

Clockpunk Juggernaut

This card's Summon cannot be negated. During either player's turn, you can tribute this card to negate the Special Summon of an opponent's monster and destroy it. During the End Phase of the turn this card's effect was activated, if you control no Monsters, you can draw 1 card.

2djt8c8.png

Clockpunk Warrior

While on the field or in your graveyard, this card's name is treated as "Clockpunk Knight". This card cannot be destroyed as a result of battle. When this card destroys an opponent's Monster as a result of battle, you can Special Summon 1 "Clockpunk" Tuner Monster from your deck or graveyard. You cannot Special Summon any Monsters from your Extra Deck except "Clockpunk" Monsters.

2d296yw.png

Clockpunk Engineer

You can banish 1 "Clockpunk" Monster from your graveyard to Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is Summoned, you can declare one number from 1-4. This card's level becomes the same as the declared number. If this card is used for a Synchro Summon, all other Synchro Materials must be "Clockpunk" Monsters. When a "Clockpunk" Synchro Monster you control would be destroyed, you can destroy this card instead.

[/spoiler]

Another well made archetype! When I first saw this I thought, "More Karakuris?", then I looked at this and got shocked. I'm not sure how well this would last in a duel. The Synchro plays are nuts, and thank goodness for the restriction. Skill Drain, an opponent's Breakthrough Skill negating the other effect, or even the new Burning Abyss monster can eliminate that clause so maybe you want to put a "(This effect cannot be negated)" clause to them, kinda like the Qliphorts. The effects are really good aside from Cannon (Which needs some sort of bigger damage I feel, in today's meta, there are much more common level 3 and below cards than say when Stygian Street Patrol came out with the same effect. Don't forget Ranks also exist), but the idea of having an open field really leaves you to be OTK'd if a Trap Stun is activated or if you have no Backrow. Aside from that, this is a pretty cool concept. If the OTK matter wasn't a thing, I would enjoy seeing it play out cause you literally can just make your Sychros and your opponent can't use anything except Bottomless or Torrential because if you know they got them Traps, you can just make Artillery and take care of that. Oh, you're playing Qliphorts? Meet my buddy Juggernaut. And they wouldn't be able to take them off the field during their turn outside of Juggernaut cause they'll be all in the Graveyard. Sounds like a fun time

Another well made archetype! When I first saw this I thought, "More Karakuris?", then I looked at this and got shocked. I'm not sure how well this would last in a duel. The Synchro plays are nuts, and thank goodness for the restriction. Skill Drain, an opponent's Breakthrough Skill negating the other effect, or even the new Burning Abyss monster can eliminate that clause so maybe you want to put a "(This effect cannot be negated)" clause to them, kinda like the Qliphorts. The effects are really good aside from Cannon (Which needs some sort of bigger damage I feel, in today's meta, there are much more common level 3 and below cards than say when Stygian Street Patrol came out with the same effect. Don't forget Ranks also exist), but the idea of having an open field really leaves you to be OTK'd if a Trap Stun is activated or if you have no Backrow. Aside from that, this is a pretty cool concept. If the OTK matter wasn't a thing, I would enjoy seeing it play out cause you literally can just make your Sychros and your opponent can't use anything except Bottomless or Torrential because if you know they got them Traps, you can just make Artillery and take care of that. Oh, you're playing Qliphorts? Meet my buddy Juggernaut. And they wouldn't be able to take them off the field during their turn outside of Juggernaut cause they'll be all in the Graveyard. Sounds like a fun time

Ah, hadn't thought about Skill Drain as a way around their restrictions. Adding that it can't be negated would definitely work! As for Cannon, I feel like increasing its damage isn't really needed since it's more of a secondary part of its effect anyway. I can see it being used for removal more than for effect damage, since it's basically Artillery's effect applied to monsters instead. The bonus of it dealing damage is to make Cannon able to still harm your opponent in some small way if you're up against an archetype that benefits off of its monsters being destroyed. So even if you trigger your opponent's effects, you at least put a scratch in their LP so it wasn't completely for nothing :) 

Ah, hadn't thought about Skill Drain as a way around their restrictions. Adding that it can't be negated would definitely work! As for Cannon, I feel like increasing its damage isn't really needed since it's more of a secondary part of its effect anyway. I can see it being used for removal more than for effect damage, since it's basically Artillery's effect applied to monsters instead. The bonus of it dealing damage is to make Cannon able to still harm your opponent in some small way if you're up against an archetype that benefits off of its monsters being destroyed. So even if you trigger your opponent's effects, you at least put a scratch in their LP so it wasn't completely for nothing :)

The scratch won't be too much though, and that's my thing. Maybe if you put it so it counts for Ranks as well, because think of this situation. You activate Cannon against Burning Abyss, you destroy Dante and Cir as they were the only two monsters they control. You only dealt 300 damage, and Cir will be getting back Dante and Dante will get back Cir, so you'll be getting the same setup all over again. The only other thing I could think that I don't think I have seen before is MAYBE negating the effects of the monsters destroyed by that effect, but then again, I'm not sure if that is too abusable or just a safety net.

Hm... Negating the effects of what it destroys would be useful, though with how spammable the Synchros are it might be a bit too powerful. Maybe if it destroyed up to two, but can only negate the effects of one of them? Not sure what the proper wording for that would be though.

Hm... Negating the effects of what it destroys would be useful, though with how spammable the Synchros are it might be a bit too powerful. Maybe if it destroyed up to two, but can only negate the effects of one of them? Not sure what the proper wording for that would be though.

I think to avoid complex wording, it would have to be both, and considering how open your field will be with this deck with all the self destructing cards, it's gonna be pretty useful to negate those effects so you can live for 1 turn. Just make sure ONLY Clockpunks can use that card then, and probably it'll only be a way not to get hit for 6000+ the next turn. This is the only few decks where Mirror Force would be a valid choice because there is that safety precaution, so making them think "I gotta recover" and make them do things they wouldn't do, continuing the Burning Abyss example such as using their Special Summon effects just to regain their advantage, then try to get some free direct attacks, you could then actually respond with backrow and not have to worry about Cir and Graff spamming all over your face and if it's Dante, their BA monster is stuck in their hand for one turn. It still leaves susceptibility to Phoenix Wing Wind Blast and Karma Cut, but it allows room for you not to get derped on as well.

Archived