Into the Core

R.Surraco

A time ago I made something about an idea called Power-Up Summon, but given the Transformation Summon exists in TCG, there's another idea I got, mainly from parts of the anime, as well as the new Pendulum Summon. This is called Core Summon and it has several things in common with it, yet a lot of differences.

A Core Summon is the act of put a Core Monster into a Core Zone. To do that, the other monsters in field must have a combined level equal or higher than the Core Level of the Core Monster about to be Core Summoned. The Core Summon is a bit like a Gemini Summon in that it can be done while the monster is on the field (in fact, some Core Monsters can be Nomi or Semi-Nomi, so they can only be Core Summoned after they were Special Summoned), but it can also be done directly from hand if the level requirement in field is achieved. There's a counterpart of this, called Core Down Summon, which places the Core Monster back in the Monster Zones from the Core Zone. The requirement for this is that the level of monsters in the field must be lower than the Core Level of the Core Monster for this to happen.

When a Core Monster is Core Summoned it stops being a monster in the field and becomes an Active Core Monster, which for card effects is the same thing than say "player". The Core Zone is not on the field regarding card effects, meaning it can't be targeted card effects that are aimed cards in the field, like Card Destruction effects. However, the Core Summon can be targeted by effects that target Special Summons, as would happen with the Core Down Summon. Also, when the Core Monster is Core Summoned from the battlefield, it will trigger leaves-the-field effects either its own or other card's. However, when it's Core Summoned from the hand, it won't trigger any enter-the-field effect, because the Core Zone is not technically part of the field. These will trigger during a Core Down Summon, however. The other thing that can harm it is direct damage, that will take down its Core Points and will be destroyed if these get to zero.

What's the use of this? Well, for starters, player's own life won't be harmed if the Core Monster's attacked by direct damage. In fact, any effect on the player's life (both good or bad) are passed onto the Active Core Monster's own Core Points, which will increase or decrease in the same way Life Points would do on the real player. Also, like Pendulum Monsters, Active Core Monsters have Core Effects that affect the game field and the cards in it. As mentioned before, lowering the Core Points of an Active Core Monster to Zero would destroy it, but it won't affect the player, who will have the same Life Points it had before the Core Summon was made.

Now, terminology time!

• Core Monsters: They are the monsters that can be Core Summoned while on the field or in the hand. These monsters can be Normal, Effect, Fusion, Synchro or Xyz monsters as well. They have Core Effects, Core Points and Core Level stated in their cards.
  • Active Core Monster: A Core Monster that had been Core Summoned into the Core Zone. As such, this monster is considered the player regarding other cards' effects.
  • Core Effects: These effects are special effects that Core Monsters have. These only are active while the Core Monster is active on the Core Zone.
  • Core Points (CP): These represent the "life" of the Core Monster. When a Core Monster had been Core Summoned, these points act like the LPs of the players and are affected by effects that target a player's LP. For example, any piercing damage will hit on these points and when these get down to 0, the Core monster will be destroyed. These CP "reset" whenever the monster is Core Summoned.
  • Core Level (CL): These are the points that state the "level limit" for the Core Summon and the Core Down Summon to occur. It acts only when either of these would happen, acting as a comparison point to the combined level of the monsters in the field.
  • Core Zone: This is the place where the Core Monsters are "active". While here, the Active Core Monsters will be targeted as "players" and any effect that targets a player's LP will instead target the Core Monster's CP. Physically, this single zone would be located behind the center Spell and Trap Zone, right in front of the player.
  • Core Summon: This special summon is the act of placing a Core Monster into the Core Zone from either the hand or the field. This requires the other monsters in the field to have a combined level equal or higher to the Core Monster's Core Level. This will trigger effects that activate in response to Special Summons, but not enter-the-field effects.
  • Core Down Summon: This summon is the counterpart to the Core Summon and its the act of placing the Active Core Monster in the Monster Zone from the Core Zone. This triggers Special Summon and enter the field responses.

Core Summon and Core Down Summon Rulings:

• A Core Summon/Core Down Summon is a Special Summon that can be performed only during your Main Phases, unless a special card ruling states it otherwise.
  • As a Special Summon, a Core Summon/Core Down Summon can be responded by effects that can respond any kind of Special Summon
  • When a Core Monster is Core Summoned from the field, it's considered as leaving the field, so any leaves-the-field effects will trigger.
  • When a Core Monster is Core Summoned from the hand, its still considered to be out of the field, so no enter-the-field effects will trigger
  • When an Active Core Monster is destroyed, it won't trigger any leaves-the-field effect, as it's not considered to had been in the field at any moment, but it will trigger events that respond to monster destruction, as it's sent to the graveyard.
  • When a Core Monster is Core Down Summoned, it will trigger enter-the-field effects, as the monster's previous zone is considered to be out of the battlefield.

Visual Text Example:

Sakuya, the Leaf Dancer | LIGHT

Lv.3

[IMAGE]

-

All WATER and EARTH monsters you control gain 500 ATK and lose 400 DEF. All FIRE monsters your opponent controls lose 500 ATK and gain 400 DEF.|CP: 600/CNV: 5

-

[Fairy/Core/Effect]
When a WATER monster enters the field, this card gains 100 DEF. You can have this card decrease its DEF for 100 or more: increase its ATK for the same value.

-

ATK 300/DEF 500

So, how do you like them mechanics?

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. Kernel Monster could be a name for such, like the kernel of an operating system, the core of your field. But I wouldn't call it Kernel Summoning, as my idea would be more akin to how Pendulum monsters work.

But perhaps rather than having a brand-new field zone, we could use the Field Card Zone for it, But it would not be treated as a spell, trap or monster. Really, it would be present on the field, but would likely be untargetable by cards that don't specifically target kernel cards. Though cards that destroy all cards of any type could still affect such.

I'll see if I can come up with a modification to the Pendulum Template, and use that for a mock-up. But I'd leave it to Yami Burak if I could (or if they could instead) release it.

Interesting. Kernel Monster could be a name for such, like the kernel of an operating system, the core of your field. But I wouldn't call it Kernel Summoning, as my idea would be more akin to how Pendulum monsters work.

But perhaps rather than having a brand-new field zone, we could use the Field Card Zone for it, But it would not be treated as a spell, trap or monster. Really, it would be present on the field, but would likely be untargetable by cards that don't specifically target kernel cards. Though cards that destroy all cards of any type could still affect such.

I'll see if I can come up with a modification to the Pendulum Template, and use that for a mock-up. But I'd leave it to Yami Burak if I could (or if they could instead) release it.

Okay, let's see:

1) I like the name, but I'll keep it on Core for those who know nothing about computers. Also, it sounds like a monster made of corn, which is the first thing that comes to my mind when you mention "kernel monster"

2) Well, given the change of rulings about the Field Zone, there's no much problem with that, but given the Core Monster's function as a proxy of the player, I dunno. Technically, it's like if the player becomes the monster when this occurs, which is why I picked a place closer to the player.

3) Somebody is doing that already. My idea was picking the dual color scheme of the Pendulum Monsters, but making the center red and the sides yellow/orange/white/blue/black depending on the monster's type.

Okay, let's see:

1) I like the name, but I'll keep it on Core for those who know nothing about computers. Also, it sounds like a monster made of corn, which is the first thing that comes to my mind when you mention "kernel monster"

That is true, Core is shorter and work better for terms like Core Up, and Core Down Summon.

2) Well, given the change of rulings about the Field Zone, there's no much problem with that, but given the Core Monster's function as a proxy of the player, I dunno. Technically, it's like if the player becomes the monster when this occurs, which is why I picked a place closer to the player.

To be honest, I've had an idea before of what I call LINK Monsters, which are monsters that can act as a player's avatar, or as a Field-sized monster. One idea of such came from a dream I had where I found a Blue Card with an image like a 3D version of some form of Bugroth. And the idea was to use the Field Zone for this purpose.

3) Somebody is doing that already. My idea was picking the dual color scheme of the Pendulum Monsters, but making the center red and the sides yellow/orange/white/blue/black depending on the monster's type.

Still, I think I'll do my own one to show what I think would be good.

To be honest, I've had an idea before of what I call LINK Monsters, which are monsters that can act as a player's avatar, or as a Field-sized monster. One idea of such came from a dream I had where I found a Blue Card with an image like a 3D version of some form of Bugroth. And the idea was to use the Field Zone for this purpose.

I see, I understand. Pretty cool, actually. But for the reasons that this card may interact with field cards, I wanted to make it different. Also, the idea I had in dreams while refining this was to have the players becoming the characters when they played the Core Cards.

Still, I think I'll do my own one to show what I think would be good.

Go ahead, do it. My idea: The cards have the regular colors for the monster types (Normal-Yellow, Effect-Orange, Fusion-Violet, Synchro-white and XYZ-Black) but with a red stripe in the middle to show them as Core Monsters. Also, they would have the structure of the Pendulum cards, but the Pendulum Boxes for effects and escales altered: The left box would be the larger one and it would have the Core Level as stars and the Core Effects below. The right box would be short, the size of the Left Pendulum Scale box, with the letters CP and the Core Points below. Try it and give it your best shot.

Archived