Conclusion of the Halloween Event 2014

Aix

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"dont u get crazy now"

Ring any bells?

I meant "who was using the dead Coolspy account as a meat puppet?"

To be honest, that was actually Aix tinkering with coolspy's account (you know, the one I banned a week after promotion).

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/user/697725-coolspy74/ (This is coolspy)

Or in other words, who is Mugendramon being shipped with in Thar's crack fics?

It sometimes scares me when I remember how powerful mods are on this site.

>Guesses Trap was cat
>not moog for whatever reason
>trap was a monster
>moog was dropping hints

Damn it.
=P

heheh

well i had fun with this event while it lasted even if i wasnt 100% satisfied with everything about it, hoping that this will happen again next year

Aix has the list, but he's pretty much gone for a month.

I'm pretty sure mine was probably the most guessed (or if not, somewhere near there). Next time, I choose something a lot harder.

1. Do a better job of advertising it.
2. Actually be harsh on people who are not active.
3. Make sure users are active on both accounts.

I was the one who brought up the idea in the mod forum, and then Axi decides to start it on his own. But we'll take that into consideration for next year (or whatever event comes up)

Some of the inactive ones were probably busy with RL matters; I know Draco (Mask) said he was busy as a computer technician or something. Rules did state that unless said member had an excuse for being gone (it's nearing that time when students have their [midterm] exams, so it's natural that they might be gone for a few days).

There were some members that were using both; others not really. But we can check the last login on both, and see if they really are playing on both. (There's only so much IP checks can do)

I wasn't that active for the first few days of Nazara's run, but that was because I was on a little vacation, and I informed Aix of it.
Funny thing. I staggered Nazara's creation until I was well and thoroughly on the road, then stopped at a gas station with wi-fi for an hour to be Nazara, so I, as TheFinalFan, had an alibi.

Less monsters and less time. 2 weeks was too long.

10 days. 

Maybe something like 10 monsters or 15.

The amount of guesses would stay the same considering both are getting cut.

Make sure monsters are active and so are the normal accounts.

If someone is DQ'd but someone guessed that monster, they still receive credit for that monster.

I think all players should have their original accounts banned to avoid slip-ups and suspicious interactivity with it.

Or we can just make a rule that your monster account cannot interact with your regular one and vice versa.

Also keep in mind that any mods that play will still need to do their normal business, so the banning account idea wouldn't be a great idea in that respect.

(And then we have RPs and other things that need to be dealt with)

@Ain/TGM: One of the gripes last year was that a week was too short to hold this event; week and a half sounds fine.

As for reducing it, also mentioned when people said that we didn't let everyone who's interested play.

Granted, letting more members join did raise the amount of guesses needed to get everyone; but at the least, no one got left out from playing.

As for the activity stuff, we'll keep that in mind. (Would help if you run two different browsers whilst accessing YCM; might be of some use.)

My life prevented me from participating =(

I was surprised to see the same event as last year though, considering how many people complained about how not everyone in the forum necessarily interacts with the monster accounts, making it somewhat unreasonable to have a personal guess game. An argument was that it was akin to a close circle of known members guessing each other and more new or inactive members would be left out. I mean, I have no real problem with that aspect, after all I myself was a monster last year (Jack O' Lantern) and I'm reading nothing but "I had lots of fun" posts within the last 5 pages of this thread, so the event was clearly successful enough.

A random idea that might or might not over-complicate this event in an unnecessary way:

Separate the monsters into groups or teams. I heard a couple of problems this time around were 

a ) members joined late

b ) too many monsters

A single member joining in late would be pretty obvious, but if they were to wait for the chance of let's say, 4 to 6 members to do just that, they could be assigned into the same group/team. That way it is not THAT obvious but it still doesn't disrupt what was originally running around in the event. Of course if if too little do it, there would be no need for this, and ideally the event would be promoted enough to avoid such a thing. Not to mention we can't have everybody be monsters and having too little guessers in the game (then again, people could be both).

In the same way, members that signed up in time to be monsters would also be in smaller groups (examples: the graveyard group, the mansion group, or whatever you wanna call them, if in any way). Each group would have a smaller list of monsters, and therefore a smaller list of members to guess from, giving guessers at least a general starting ground to follow.

Example with names randomly chosen:

Group 1:

Monsters:

Pinkie Pie

Crab Helmet

Spooky Skeleton

Coolspy

The Ringmaster

Members:

Mugendramon

Armadilloz

Hinagiku

-......etc.

^This would mean that THOSE members wouldn't be available guesses for hypothetical groups 2 and beyond because they are listed as group 1's possibilities.

The downside with this is that some members might find it a little bit too easy to guess. I'm mainly trying to cater to the members that'd be curious about these events but would be intimidated by 20+ members they don't usually interact with running around to be guessed while said monster members do their best to act differently as to not get caught. I also am taking into consideration that it seems that only 3 members were able to guess everyone. That's both a pretty impressive achievement AND either a testament to how hard it was for the general public or of how little participation it might have ended up getting.

I'd also suggest getting small prizes when solving these groups, rather than just a big one if you complete the humongous task.

I think it is possible to make prizes something that could be used in places that regular members would be unable to paste it into themselves to pretend they completed the tasks... It's been done in the past though I'm unaware if its no longer a feature though.

The biggest drawback of this idea would be on the people organizing it and keeping track of it. It'd probably need someone just to keep the thread going, and different mods in charge of receiving the PM guesses from a certain group each on order to not make the PMs a huge unworkable mess.

Finally, of course the groups could be slightly bigger than that, or smaller, depending on the criteria that ends up happening. In the same way, the prizes/trophies/whatever don't have to be just for small or for big achievements, and due to the nature of "team a: [tittle goes here]", "team b: [midnight animas]", "team c: [whatever]" and so on, it can also be specified if a member(s) has guessed how many and which groups at the end of the event. As a member tittle, or IDK what the ideal place for those would be..... kinda like the Easter Egg hunter prize tittles I mean... that sort of thing... Hope I'm explaining myself properly.

Anyways, that's the idea. It started somewhat blurry and I basically refined it a little bit as I wrote it just now...... 

Should've been done earlier when still relevant, but better late than never.

Since Aix is gone right now, those of you who got 5+ right, PM me so I can put the Halloween award in your profile. (I don't need to know which ones you got correct)

[TGM, Agro and Nai have all gotten theirs]

As for the thread, locking as it's been done.

We'll keep any of your comments in mind for 2015's one [or whatever event we get next].

Archived