Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

• Please log in to reply
846 replies to this topic

bury the year

bury the year

reach heaven through violence

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 9,622 posts
    Last Visit Today, 01:46 PM
  • Alias:Rinne

So, full spoilers are out for Ixalan. What're you all eyeing for your decks as upgrades?

https://magic.wizard...-gallery/ixalan

Ephara:

• Additions: Glacial Fortress (upgrading art).
  • Considerations: ---

Edgar:

• Additions: Bishop of RebirthCall to the FeastLegion's LandingMavren Fein, Dusk ApostleSanctum SeekerVona, Butcher of MaganVanquisher's Banner (all great for vampire tribal), Arguel's Blood Fast (card draw!).
  • Considerations: Bloodcrazed Paladin (again, vampires).

Grimgrin:

• Additions: Drowned Catacomb (upgrading art), Deadeye Tracker (grave hate + counters), Herald of Secret Streams (evasion for Grimgrin), Hostage Taker (great removal).
  • Considerations: Thaumatic Compass (helps hit land drops and turns into Maze of Ith).

This set seems awfully light on cards to me, tbh. If I didn't have Edgar I'd be getting a lot fewer cards.

dAx113Q.gif

edh decks • ephara, god of the polishallar, the firefletcher • tuvasa the sunlit (wip)

decathlon challenge (1/10) • (azorius) • (dimir) • (rakdos) • (gruul) • emmara, soul of the accord • (orzhov) • (golgari) • (simic) • (izzet) • (boros)

Poc

Poc

Old Fogey

• Elite Members
  • 2,800 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 10:36 PM
I want to make a Dino EDH but I just don't think there's enough worthwhile dinos to make What's his names ability consistent enough. Even with changelings you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for impactful dinosaurs.

~Faytl~

~Faytl~

I remain resolutely unimpressed.

• Elite Members
  • 1,500 posts
    Last Visit Today, 12:41 PM

I want to make a Dino EDH but I just don't think there's enough worthwhile dinos to make What's his names ability consistent enough. Even with changelings you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for impactful dinosaurs.

I agree. Now is not the time to build Gishath, the best thing to do is wait till Rivals of Ixalan comes out, since it will add some more much needed Dino's.

Posted Image

Posted Image

MST negates
Me when people ask me to review their cards
Me when people don't review my cards
TOP SECRET: ESPECIALLY FOR ZAI AND YUI

Poc

Poc

Old Fogey

• Elite Members
  • 2,800 posts
I just picked up a Spanish Angus MacKenzie. I need to build a more casual deck that's not just bant oops I win good stuff. What do?

bury the year

bury the year

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 9,622 posts

I just picked up a Spanish Angus MacKenzie. I need to build a more casual deck that's not just bant oops I win good stuff. What do?

Enchantress with planeswalker finishers? Don't have any combos in the deck (or if you do, only make it Doubling Season + Jace, Cunning Castaway).

Or are you looking for something more janky?

dAx113Q.gif

edh decks • ephara, god of the polishallar, the firefletcher • tuvasa the sunlit (wip)

decathlon challenge (1/10) • (azorius) • (dimir) • (rakdos) • (gruul) • emmara, soul of the accord • (orzhov) • (golgari) • (simic) • (izzet) • (boros)

Poc

Poc

Old Fogey

• Elite Members
  • 2,800 posts
I was thinking enchantress with a light bit of stax. I want enchanted evening+aura thief as my main win. I'd do walkers but I got rid of my doubling seasons.

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

Pokemon Breeder

• Super Moderators
  • 23,879 posts
    Last Visit Today, 01:50 AM
It only took 3 weeks, but I finally figured out the new cards I want for my many lists.

Karador: Growing Rites of Itlimoc
Animar: Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Tishana, Voice of Thunder
Sedris: Fleet Swallower
Rith: Growing Rites of of Itlimoc
Freyalise: Growing Rites of Itlimoc
Hanna: Thaumatic Compass, Search for Azcanta, Overflowing Insight
Grenzo: Unclaimed Territory, Vanquisher’s Banner, Dowsing Dagger
Iroas: Captain Lannery Storm, Dowsing Dagger
Sliver Overlord: Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Unclaimed Territory
Ezuri: Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Tishana, Voice of Thunder
Gitrog: Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Thaumatic Compass
Kozilek: Conqueror's Galleon, Dowsing Dagger
Kemba: Dowsing Dagger
Phenax: Fleet Swallower, Overflowing Insight
Atraxa: Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Herald of Secret Streams, Vraska, Relic Seeker
Wort: Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Primal Amulet
Talrand: River’s Rebuke, Primal Amulet, Search for Azcanta
Prossh: Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Unclaimed Territory

Sharuum: No Change
Sidisi: No Change
Sigarda: No Change

tl;dr I need a ton of Growing Rites of Itlimoc. I fear for the day when I own all the decks since full upgrades are going to be expensive. Though I don't think it will be that bad.

Regardless, ON TO EDGAR!!!
cZx2XQg.png
FC: 0989-1906-1912

bury the year

bury the year

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 9,622 posts

Ezuri: Growing Rites of Itlimoc, Tishana, Voice of Thunder

Surprised you don't have Herald of Secret Streams in there: he seems like a slam dunk for UG!Ezuri.

dAx113Q.gif

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

Pokemon Breeder

• Super Moderators
  • 23,879 posts

Surprised you don't have Herald of Secret Streams in there: he seems like a slam dunk for UG!Ezuri.

I did consider him, but the deck doesn't go wide with counters in the way Atraxa does. My thought process was that between Craterhoof, Champion of Lambholt, and random evasive creatures in the deck already if I want to swing in with giant evasive creatures I already have ways to do that. I can be wrong in this matter though.
cZx2XQg.png

bury the year

bury the year

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 9,622 posts

I did consider him, but the deck doesn't go wide with counters in the way Atraxa does. My thought process was that between Craterhoof, Champion of Lambholt, and random evasive creatures in the deck already if I want to swing in with giant evasive creatures I already have ways to do that. I can be wrong in this matter though.

Late response, but I'd still try him out. At minimum he's another experience counter with Ezuri, and you're not guaranteed to always be able to push creatures through.

Anyhow, wanted to give a write-up on my current stable of decks. I have two complete in paper, one that's an online list that may make the jump into paper, and two other commanders that I'd like to build.

• Ephara, God of the Polis // list built in paper
    • Probably the list I've had together the longest in paper now, and one of my favorites. It's a very control-heavy build that focuses on flickering creatures with ETB triggers while playing hatebears and prison/fort effects, all the while holding a full grip of cards in hand. Once the game gets to 1v1, my opponent usually can't stand against the myriad of outs I run to their threats, and I can peck them to death with a bunch of weenies.
  • Edgar Markov // list built in paper
    • Pretty standard Markov list. Even though there's nothing fancy about it, I just really enjoy how Edgar plays: his eminence ability makes an aggro strategy actually viable.
  • Grimgrin, Corpse-Born // list built online
    • The result of a White Elephant experiment. My assignment was to build Grimgrin as "counters tribal," not the standard zombie zerg rush. I thought this was going to be tricky, as missing green means we don't get as many of the counter tricks - surprisingly, though, the deck still works. While +1/+1 counters are the name of the game here, there are some fun things to do with -1/-1 and energy counters too. The primary wincon is to pump Grimgrin up to absurd heights, then swing with an angry zombie behemoth for lethal.
  • Riku of Two Reflections // list is WIP
    • Intending to make this a spellslinger build, so keeping a low number of creatures and piling up on powerful instants and sorceries. The "key card" is Primal Amulet: when it flips, I hope to tap and untap Primal Wellspring as much as possible to copy a haymaker and make it lethal.
  • Samut, Voice of Dissent // list is WIP
    • Probably just an "activated abilities matter" list? Not sure yet - this mainly came about from the remnants of my now-disassembled Saskia list.

dAx113Q.gif

Poc

Poc

Old Fogey

• Elite Members
  • 2,800 posts

Heres a quick first draft of kind of a cheesy combo deck. The idea is to use Deceiver of forms + Biovisionary to win. Food chain is just a backup.

http://tappedout.net...g-biovisionary/

Sixty

Sixty

this account is 10 years old

• Advanced Members
  • 3,998 posts
    Last Visit May 07 2018 09:15 PM

the other day i disassembled five decks and made a monster out of them:

http://tappedout.net...an-ft-dj-kraum/

it was a ton of fun but i had to take it apart so that i could have more than two decks. has anyone found a particularly exciting partner pair aside from the usual thrasios/tymna?

Heres a quick first draft of kind of a cheesy combo deck. The idea is to use Deceiver of forms + Biovisionary to win. Food chain is just a backup.

http://tappedout.net...g-biovisionary/

infinite reflection? i know it's not very tutorable but it wins with biovisionary out of nowhere usually.

cough                          

Poc

Poc

Old Fogey

• Elite Members
  • 2,800 posts

infinite reflection? i know it's not very tutorable but it wins with biovisionary out of nowhere usually.

You never want to draw or play biovisionary. Thats why I'm considering putting scroll rack in because this deck needs more ways to get biovisionary back into the library. Plus always shuffling with Momir makes scroll rack ridiculous.

bury the year

bury the year

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 9,622 posts

So, opinions of the validity of it aside, does anyone plan on taking advantage of the "Un-set holiday special?" I'm half-thinking of seeing if my playgroup will let me throw a few silver-border cards into my black-border decks for funsies.

• Ephara: Clocknapper, Very Cryptic Command
  • Hazezon: Earl of Squirrel, Ineffable Blessing, Oddly Uneven

dAx113Q.gif

Sixty

Sixty

this account is 10 years old

• Advanced Members
  • 3,998 posts
    Last Visit May 07 2018 09:15 PM

i built an entire deck around die rolls. lobe lobber is one hell of a card

http://tappedout.net...ks/riku-roll-2/

the lands are obviously optimized, including a watermarket. i didn't want to type them all out though. this deck plays like dnd and has been a lot of fun so far.

cough                          

bury the year

bury the year

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 9,622 posts

It's that time of year again: the time where I pester you all to post what cards you're adding from the newest set. This time, it's Rivals of Ixalan, which seems to have more good stuff than Ixalan did. More overtly-powerful tribal themes, and many more interesting rares.

Hazezon:

• Huatli, Radiant Champion (trivially easy to ultimate, and her -1 can deal some serious damage)
  • Path of Discovery (this before a Hazezon resolution is an absurd amount of card advantage)
  • Wayward Swordtooth (Exploration strapped to an undercosted body)

Ephara:

• Azor, the Lawbringer (ETB trigger is good, and his attack trigger refills my hand)
  • Crafty Cutpurse (can be a blowout against token decks)
  • Release to the Wind (saves a key permanent from a wipe, or rebuys a good ETB trigger)

Edgar:

• Arch of Orazca (later game card advantage!)
  • Bishop of Binding (unless otherwise stated, assume the reason is "generically good vampire")
  • Champion of Dusk
  • Dusk Legion Zealot
  • Elenda, the Dusk Rose (her + sac outlet = wrath insurance)
  • Forerunner of the Legion
  • Legion Lieutenant
  • Martyr of Dusk
  • Radiant Destiny (anthem effects are good, anthems that help enable ascend are even better)
  • Skymarcher Aspirant
  • Twilight Prophet

Riku:

• Brass's Bounty (lots of mana, and unlike Boundless Realms it doesn't cap out)

Alesha:

• Dire Fleet Daredevil (steal key removal spells)
  • Pirate's Pillage (looting and artifacts)
  • Pitiless Plunderer (artifacts on death trigger)

dAx113Q.gif

radio414

radio414

n/a

• Advanced Members
  • 937 posts
    Last Visit 41 minutes ago
  • Spouse:ur mom

Not sure how much I can contribute, but I figured I'd pop in here. I've been playing since the Mirrodin Besieged prerelease, and my decks are:

Nicol Bolas (Mono-Instants, or rather Mono Instant-Speed)

Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant (Mono-Green Combo)

The Unspeakable (Morphs and Arcane)

Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder (An exercise in indulgence)

And lastly The Big Idea, which isn't legal anymore (well, certain card choices made it not legal at any point), but it's still ninety-nine cards and a general, so... I do what I want?

I haven't really thought about what Rivals could add. I didn't go to a prerelease because I was snowed in, so I guess I'll have to see what I get when drafts start firing.

Flame Dragon

Flame Dragon

Pokemon Breeder

• Super Moderators
  • 23,879 posts
The Big Idea might not be legal in stores, but you can still play it with your play group. I know I'm fine with the Unstable cards.

Speaking, of Rivals, additions from Rivals for my various lists. I have a handful of other older cards I'm going to add, but the list is long enough with just Rivals.

Karador (3)
Path of Discovery
World Shaper
Journey to Eternity

Animar (2)
Timestream Navigator
Wayward Swordtooth

Sedris (2)
Timestream Navigator
Nezahal, Primal Tide

Rith (2)
Tendershoot Dryad
Huatli, Radiant Champion

Sharuum (0)

Freyalise (1)
Arch of Orazca

Hanna (1)
Kumena's Awakening

Grenzo (2)
Azor's Gateway
The Immortal Sun

Iroas (3)
Tilonalli's Summoner
Azor's Gateway
Charging Tuskodon

Sliver Overlord (2)
Radiant Destiny

Ezuri (1)
Hadana's Climb

Gitrog (2)
Wayward Swordtooth
World Shaper

Kozilek (2)
Azor’s Gateway
Arch of Orazca

Kemba (3)
The Immortal Sun
Azor's Gateway
Arch of Orazca

Sidisi (2)
The Immortal Sun
Arch of Orazca

Phenax (2)
Azor's Gateway
Arch of Orazca

Atraxa (1)
Hadana's Climb

Sigarda (1)
Arch of Orazca

Wort (4)
Path of Discovery
Azor's Gateway
The Immortal Sun
Arch of Orazca

Talrand (3)
Flood of Recollection
The Immortal Sun
Arch of Orazca

Prossh (1)
Journey to Eternity

Edgar (8)
Forerunner of the Legion
The Immortal Sun
Radiant Destiny
Champion of Dusk
Legion Lieutenant
Oathsworn Vampire
Twilight Prophet
Elenda, the Dusk Rose
cZx2XQg.png

bury the year

bury the year

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 9,622 posts

Long time no chat, y'all. Masters 25 is out, so I wanted to get some thoughts on what people are thinking of picking up, and how they feel about the set overall.

Thoughts in aggregate:

• I give it a 6.5 out of 10? The good news is that there are a lot of strong common/uncommon reprints that were even only spoiled on the final day. Promise of Bunrei, StP, Arcane Denial, Brainstorm, Counterspell, Cursecatcher, Ravenous Chupacabra, Street Wraith, Unearth, Zulaport Cutthroat, Bolt, Ancient Stirrings, Arbor Elf, Cultivate, Fierce Empath, Nettle Sentinel, Presence of Gond, Rancor, Regrowth, Utopia Sprawl, Ash Barrens, and Myriad Landscape. That's a lot!
  • The bad news is that about half of the rares and mythics seem really baffling. The Akromas, Tree of Redemption, Bident of Thassa... why? The lack of mechanics outside of morph and cycling feels bad, too. Even if we could also get devotion (if only so I could see Gary and Nykthos back in limited). The emphasis on "limited combos" may hurt the format, too, as it seems like it gets really easy to be blown out if your opponent is lucky.

Now, cards I want!

• Ephara: Disenchant (new art!), Luminarch Ascension, Arcane Denial (new art!), Flash, Vendilion Clique.
  • Edgar: Fetid Heath and Rugged Prairie, if only so I can have a full set of M15-border filters.
  • Hazezon: Azusa, Myriad Landscape.
  • To hold onto: Animar (may build Animorphs after this), Imperial Recruiter, Pernicious Deed, Armageddon, Living Death, Phyrexian Obliterator, and a playset of Promise of Bunrei for my jank spirit!storm casual deck.

dAx113Q.gif

bury the year

bury the year

• Topic Starter
  • Senior Members
  • 9,622 posts
Looking for 6 more cards to fill out the list. Thoughts?

http://tappedout.net.../?cb=1523727845

dAx113Q.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users