The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not interested in brawl until the format develops a bit. I like the idea of it but being limited to such a small card pool is a huge hit against a singleton format. If Wizards keeps up with it though I'm expecting it to have its legality extended past standard. Then maybe I'll check it out.

I'm interested in Brawl purely because it lets me use the nonsense I keep after draft and because a friend recently started and I figured a Brawl deck is also a standard deck and that is a solid thing to use to play against someone starting out. My LGS is thinking about doing Brawl events, but I haven't heard anything past that.

My issue with brawl isn't the limited card pool but the fact that it rotates. I understand why they did it, but I just don't like the idea of having to rotate or completely scrap my casual decks.

This is my issue too. Rotations means it will sell more sealed product but its another expense on a dedicated player. I didn't play standard at all this season because I couldn't justify spending the money on a deck, and this is the cheapest standard has been in some time. I definitely cant justify spending the money on a casual format.

• 1 month later...

New set is fully spoiled and between that and Battlebond I actually have a ton of updates for my decks. Only Sliver Overlord got nothing between the two. A few decks have a ton of options worth considering. The list.

Grenzo: Diabolic Intent; Luxury Suite; Isareth the Awakener; Goblin Instigator; Goblin Trashmaster; Volley Veteran; Crucible of Worlds; Meteor Golem; Worn Powerstone

Prossh: Thrilling Encore; Diabolic Intent; Lathliss, Dragon Queen; Sarkhan, Fireblood; Sarkhan’s Unsealing; Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma; Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire; Dragon’s Hoard

Hanna: Land Tax; Mind’s Eye; Sea of Clouds; Cleansing Nova; Omniscience; Tezzert, Artifice Master; Nimbus Maze

Atraxa: Arena Rector; Will Kenneth; Pir, Imaginative Rascal; Doubling Season; Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants; Tezzert, Artifice Master; Transmogrifying Wand

Sedris: Diabolic Intent; Dismissive Pyromancer; Nicol Bolas, the Ravager; Crucible of Worlds; Meteor Golem

Animar: Bramble Sovereign; Sarkhan’s Unsealing; Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma; Meteor Golem

Sigarda: Land Tax; Bountiful Promenade; Prodigious Growth; Satyr Enchanter

Wort: Bonus Round; Doubling Season; Spire Garden; Apex of Power

Karador: Diabolic Intent; Greater Good; Meteor Golem

Rith: Arena Rector; Doubling Season; Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants

Sharuum: One With the Machine; Crucible of Worlds; Meteor Golem

Sidisi: Graveyard Marshal; Liliana, Untouched by Death; Open the Graves

Freyalise: Elvish Clancaller; Transmogrifying Wand

Kozilek: Meteor Golem; Transmogrifying Wand

Kemba: Mind’s Eye; Sigiled Sword of Valeron

Talrand: Spellseeker; Omniscience

Iroas: Land Tax

Ezuri: Toothy, Imaginary Friend

Gitrog: Crucible of Worlds

Phenax: Morphic Pool

Edgar: Diabolic Intent

Sliver Overlord

I don't know much about Breya but that seems like a very low land count. Only other thing I'm pretty sure is is Animate Dead seems weird here. What are you trying to rebuy with it?

Land count: honestly i only need 2 lands the entire game, and am totally fine doing a mulligan to make it happen. Realistically should be about 2-3 higher, though.

Animate dead: Breya or Sharuum. Either way it rakes in crazy value and is searchable as all hell.

Animate dead: Breya or Sharuum. Either way it rakes in crazy value and is searchable as all hell.

The search ability has the to be a huge factor. Honestly, as said, Breya isn't something I've seen much of and given what you said and what is in your list I can only assume you are trying to do some broken things.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to the party here, but I've made a bunch of updates to my two primary decks - Ephara and (now) Hallar - as well as the Elenda list I perpetually struggle with.

Dominaria:

• Ephara: Gilded Lotus; Merfolk Trickster; Naru Meha, Master Wizard; Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage; Teferi, Hero of Dominaria
  • Hallar: Broken Bond; Ghitu Chronicler; Grow from the Ashes; Grunn, the Lonely King; Llanowar Elves; Marwyn, the Nurturer; Territorial Allosaurus; Verix Bladewing
  • Elenda: Blackblade Reforged; Gilded Lotus; Isolated Chapel; Whisper, Blood Liturgist

Battlebond:

• Ephara: Brightling; Mystic Confluence; Sea of Clouds
  • Hallar: Doubling Season; Generous Patron; Pir, Imaginative Rascal; Pir's Whim; Seedborn Muse; Skyshroud Claim; Spire Garden; Stolen Strategy; Vigor
  • Elenda: Diabolic Intent; Krav, the Unredeemed; Land Tax; Regna, the Redeemer; Thrilling Encore; Together Forever; Virtus's Maneuver

Core 2019:

• Ephara: Lena, Selfless Champion
  • Hallar: Colossal Majesty; Elvish Rejuvenator; Runic Armasaur
  • Elenda: Ajani's Welcome; Cleansing Nova; Desecrated Tomb; Nightmare's Thirst; Regal Bloodlord; Resplendent Angel

Core 2019:

• Hallar: Colossal Majesty; Elvish Rejuvenator; Runic Armasaur

I'm curious, why Rejuvenator? If you are limiting yourself to just stuff you own I get that, but if you can pick one up Wood Elves is way better.

Anyway, on my end I made a thing

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-07-18-DFy-arcades-edh/

Likely needs a bit more work, but I like the started base.

I'm curious, why Rejuvenator? If you are limiting yourself to just stuff you own I get that, but if you can pick one up Wood Elves is way better.

Anyway, on my end I made a thing

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-07-18-DFy-arcades-edh/

Likely needs a bit more work, but I like the started base.

I used a hypergeometric calculator, and with the amount of lands I have in my deck, it's about only a 11% chance to whiff. So I think I'll be fine.

And deck looks good for a start. Considered Sidar Kondo at all in the 99? Or Opal-Eye?

And deck looks good for a start. Considered Sidar Kondo at all in the 99? Or Opal-Eye?

I'm not a fan of Kondo and I'm playing Levitation over him currently. I trade dying to less stuff for not giving random utility creatures my opponents have fake flying. I prefer Levitation honestly, and I'm not even sure how good that is. Opal-Eye is an interesting though I'm not sure how useful it is. The body is pretty mediocre vs. other stuff I could play and stopping damage once or twice isn't going to accomplish much I don't think.

I used a hypergeometric calculator, and with the amount of lands I have in my deck, it's about only a 11% chance to whiff. So I think I'll be fine.

the fact that wood elves can grab stomping ground/cinder glade/whatever they named the RG cycle land gives it a ton of utility, and with the former 2 they can come in untapped, accelerating early game and making up for lost tempo later.

Now, I admittedly don't know your list, so you might already have wood elves, but if not, the card is dirt cheap, man.

the fact that wood elves can grab stomping ground/cinder glade/whatever they named the RG cycle land gives it a ton of utility, and with the former 2 they can come in untapped, accelerating early game and making up for lost tempo later.

Now, I admittedly don't know your list, so you might already have wood elves, but if not, the card is dirt cheap, man.

It's also that I just have an absurd compulsion to try new cards over old, lol.

Wood Elves will probably stay in in the long run, tbh. Just want to test this out.

• 4 weeks later...

Commander 2018 is here! That said, it's time for my perennial question: what do y'all plan on adding?

Ephara: Loyal Drake.

Hallar: Forge of Heroes; Fury Storm; Loyal Guardian.

Regna/Krav: Loyal Unicorn; Night Incarnate.

Tuvasa (new deck!): Just the precon to begin with.

Longterm holds and considerations: Aminatou, the Fateshifter; Endless Atlas; Gyrus, the Corpse Waker; Isolated Watchtower; Treasure Nabber; Varina, Lich Queen; Windgrace's Judgment.

Overall, my thoughts are mixed on the new decks. The power level seems to have taken a nosedive compared to previous years: there aren't any really exciting reprints, and the new cards are cool but they all fill rather specific niches. Tuvasa is the one commander I'm excited to build immediately, but that's because a. I love merfolk, and b. I've wanted a Bantchantress commander since almost literally forever. Were I to build another from the set, it'd probably be Izzet artifacts, but I can't decide between one of Saheeli/Tawnos/Jhoira.

I actually really love almost all the new commander options we got from 2018. The only one I can't see doing something cool is the Spider, and even then I've seen people that like it. I'm not sure how the power level of the decks themselves compare to past commander decks, but the reprints were certainly a let down.

As for new cards.

Karador: Night Incarnate

Animar: Whiptongue Hydra and Arixmethes and Slumbering Isle

Freyalise: Forge of Heroes

Hanna: Estrid's Invocation

Kemba: Heavenly Blademaster and Endless Atlas

Kozilek: Ancient Stone Idol and Geode Golem

Talrand: Endless Atlas

Pross: Nesting Dragon

Edger: Bloodtracker

• 1 month later...

Yadda yadda, you know what's coming. Guilds of Ravnica updates, ahoy!

Ephara:

• Dream Eater

Hallar:

• Beast Whisperer
  • Risk Factor
  • Gravitic Punch

Tuvasa:

• Conclave Tribunal
  • Sumala Woodshaper
  • Temple Garden (only for the new art)

Sidisi:

• Assassin's Trophy
  • Discovery // Dispersal
  • Doom Whisperer
  • Find // Finality
  • Izoni, Thousand-Eyed
  • Mausoleum Secrets
  • Plaguecrafter
  • Underrealm Lich

Toolbox:

• Other shocklands and Chromatic Lantern
  • Mission Briefing
  • Niv-Mizzet, Parun
  • Thousand-Year Storm
  • Expansion // Explosion
  • Invert // Invent

Overall: not a ton of cards that slot into my existing decks, but Im really tempted to now make an Izzet spellslinger deck with the new Niv-Mizzet, and maybe a Muldrotha deck to abuse all those new Golgari and Dimir graveyard payoffs. Too bad jump-start ended up being really anemic, though: hardly any cards printed with the mechanic, and only 1-2 of them look remotely playable.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I think about it the more I'm like, man I'd LOVE to build a Muldrotha deck. But I already have Karador and the two decks would be WAY to similar. Not helped that it would also run into a number of common points with Sedris too. Anyway, figured out what cards interest me for my various commander decks.

Karador: Doom Whisperer; Mausoleum Secrets; Assassin's Trophy; Underrealm Lich; Vraska, Golgari Queen

Animar: Dream Eater; Beast Whisper

Sedris: Dream Eater; Doom Whisperer; Mausoleum Secrets; Niv-Mizzet, Parun

Rith: Divine Visitation; Camaraderie; March of the Multitudes

Sharuum: Dream Eater; Doom Whisperer

Freyalise: Beast Whisperer

Grenzo: Legion Warboss

Iroas: Chance for Glory; Response // Resurgence

Sliver Overlord: Assassin's Trophy

Ezuri: Beast Whisperer

Gitrog: Doom Whisperer; Assassin's Trophy; Underrealm Lich; Vraska, Golgari Queen

Kemba: Divine Visitation

Sidisi: Midnight Reaper

Talrand: Mission Briefing

Prossh: Assassin's Trophy; Vraska, Golgari Queen

Arcades: Portcullis Vine

Nothing

Hanna

Kozilek

Phenax

Atraxa

Sigarada

Wort

Edgar

Biggest winners were the graveyard decks. Kind of surprised so many decks got nothing though, especially since two of them are in supported guilds.

Archived