Catalyst of Evolution

I Hate Snatch Steal

edit: Due to its age and the recent bump, this thread is accidentally in advanced cards while I think it should be in casual. I've already reported it to be moved and I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

[url=http://s106.photobucket.com/user/somen00b/media/custom%20yu-gi-oh%20cards/xyz/CatalystofEvolution_zps5ab093ee.jpg.html]CatalystofEvolution_zps5ab093ee.jpg[/URL]

You can only use each effect of "Catalyst of Evolution" once per turn. During your Standby Phase you can discard 1 trap card, then target 1 xyz monster in your graveyard; special summon that target and attach this card to it as an xyz material. You cannot special summon any monsters the turn you activate this effect, except xyz monsters. An Xyz monster that has this card as an xyz material gains this effect: *You can pay 800 life points; Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 monster with the same Type as that xyz monster but 2 Ranks higher, by using it as the Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon. Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster.)

Rulings notes:

*You can pay 800 life points; Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 monster with the same Type as that xyz monster but 2 Ranks higher, by using it as the Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon. Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster.)

Is treated as the xyz monster's effect. For example Divine Wrath would negate it and destroy that xyx monster. However, this effect still cannot be used more then once per turn, even if its by xyz monsters with different names.

However, this effect still cannot be used more then once per turn, even if its by xyz monsters with different names.

I disagree.

The card explicitly states that it modifies the Xyz Monster's effect, and is not an effect to be associated with the card itself. The card's own "once per turn" restrictions don't apply.

I disagree.

The card explicitly states that it modifies the Xyz Monster's effect, and is not an effect to be associated with the card itself. The card's own "once per turn" restrictions don't apply.

Just call it a weird inconsistent ruling. The card would be overpowered if it didn't have that ruling. How would you word it then?

I gotta admit, it's difficult to word it in that way. A lot of effect-granting Xyz tend to create one-off or continuous effects.

I would instead link the effect with the Material itself. It would look something like this:

You can only use each effect of "Catalyst of Evolution" once per turn. During your Standby Phase: You can discard 1 Trap Card, then target 1 Xyz Monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target and attach this card to it as an Xyz Material. You cannot Special Summon any monsters the turn you activate this effect, except Xyz Monsters. An Xyz Monster that has this card as an Xyz Material gains this effect: *You can detach 1 "Catalyst of Evolution" from this card pay 800 life points; Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 monster with the same Type as this xyz monster but 2 Ranks higher, by using it as the Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon. Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster.)

We don't have a lot of cards that specify needing to detach specific Material, but at least this is a little clearer with a more explicit restriction. It's possible to stack 2 or more Catalysts on the same Xyz to Rank-Up several times in succession, but undertaking that would be a questionable decision.

• 8 months later...

Just keep in mind you're beyond the 2-month thread creator grace period for bumping.

Although in the future, if it's just to announce that you got the card properly formatted for YGOPro, just post it in the YGOPro section.

That's what it's there for.

---

So yeah, topic lock (however I look forward to testing this on YGOPro at a later time).

Archived