[Written] Stringz - DARK Psychics that want to be banished

Darj

Introduction:

"Stringz" is an archetype of DARK Psychic-Type monsters. The Main Deck monsters are based on different kinds of puppets mostly made of yarn or thread, while the Extra Deck monsters are based on puppeteers with a human appearance and wearing robes or similar spellcaster-like clothing, and they are who, literally, pull the strings of the Main Deck monsters. The Main Deck monsters have 2 effects, one which triggers when they are Normal Summoned, and the other one when they are banished. They were designed to benefit from support cards such as "Allure of Darkness", Gold Sarcophagus", "Emergency Teleport" and "Serene Psychic Witch".

Other traits:

- Their DEF is equal to half their ATK, rounded down.

- To add a bit of originality to their given names, I wrote a repeated consonant on them; they are not typos.

Disclaimer: I was heavily inspired and influenced by BAs and Shaddolls when making this archetype, so a couple of "Stringz" may be too similar to cards from those archetypes.

[spoiler=Monsters]

Stringz Ragge (Ragdoll)
Attribute: DARK
Type: Psychic/Effect
Level: 4
ATK: 1850
DEF: 900
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 "Stringz" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. If this card is banished: You can add 1 "Stringz" monster from your Deck to your hand, except "Stringz Ragge". You can only use each effect of "Stringz Ragge" once per turn.

Stringz Scarkkro (Scarecrow)
Type: Psychic/Effect
Level: 4
ATK: 1650
DEF: 800
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can banish 1 "Stringz" monster from your Deck. If this card is banished: You can target 1 "Stringz" monster in your Graveyard; banish that target. You can only use each effect of "Stringz Scarkkro"once per turn.

Stringz Elly (classic doll modeled after a girl)
Type: Psychic/Tuner/Effect
Level: 3
ATK: 1050
DEF: 500
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 of your "Stringz" monsters in your Graveyard or banished; Special Summon that target in Defense Position. If this card is banished: You can target 1 of your banished "Stringz" monsters, except "Stringz Elly"; Special Summon that target in Defense Position. You can only use each effect of "Stringz Elly" once per turn.

Stringz Marionett (marionette)
Type: Psychic/Tuner/Effect
Level: 3
ATK: 1250
DEF: 600
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can draw 1 card, then banish 1 card from your hand. If this card is banished: You can draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of "Stringz Marionett" once per turn.[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Spell/Traps]

Cursed Stringz Wheel (spinning wheel)
Spell Card
Type: Normal
Target 3 of your banished "Stringz" monsters; shuffle all 3 into the Deck, then draw 1 card. You can only activate 1 "Cursed Stringz Wheel" per turn.

Shredder Stringz
Trap Card
Target 1 face-up Psychic-Type monster and 2 cards your opponent controls; banish the first target, and if you do, destroy the second targets.

Stringz Soul Prison
Trap Card
Target up to 2 monsters in any Graveyard(s), including at least 1 "Stringz" monster; banish those targets.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Extra Deck monsters]

Stringz Puppeteer Alizee
Type: Psychic/Xyz/Effect
ATK: 2050
DEF: 1000
2 Level 3 Psychic-Type monsters
Any Monster Card sent to the Graveyard is banished instead. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 card on the field; your opponent cannot target that card with effects or for attacks until the end of your opponent's turn. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard OR is banished from the field: You can target 1 "Stringz" Spell/Trap Card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand.

Stringz Puppeteer Kiell
Type: Psychic/Synchro/Effect
Level: 7
ATK: 2650
DEF: 1300
1 Psychic-Type Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Any Monster Card sent to the Graveyard is banished instead. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster you control or in your Graveyard, and 1 card your opponent controls; banish the first target, also destroy the second target, and if you do, banish it. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard OR is banished from the field: You can target up to 2 of your banished "Stringz" monsters, except this card; add those targets to your hand.

Rulings:

"Any Monster Card sent to the Graveyard is banished instead."

This effect will also banish monsters detached as Xyz Materials, or that were previously treated as Spell Cards, such as "Artifacts", "Toy Magician", etc.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Some non-archetype support cards]

D.D. Sprite: Level 1 Tuner that can banish a "Stringz" on the field.

Hushed Psychic Cleric

Necroface

Serene Psychic Witch

Silent Psychic Wizard

White Dragon Wyverburster

Allure of Darkness

Dimensional Fissure

Emergency Teleport: could be used during the End Phase to banish a Level 3 "Stringz" and trigger its effect.

Gold Sarcophagus

Soul Release

Macro Cosmos

Different Dimension Ground[/spoiler]

EDIT:

12/10/14:

- Added the Xyz Monster "Stringz Puppeteer Alizze".

- Edited the first effects of the Extra Deck monsters and included a ruling on it.

12/16/14:

- "Stringz Soul Prison" now can only target up to 2 monsters instead of 3.

- "Cursed Stringz Wheel" now shuffles 3 banished "Stringz" monsters for 1 card draw.

Oh, the nostalgia. Having played TeleDAD back when Krebons was a very relevant thing, seeing this is just eye candy. Card wise, I see more similarities with Satellars, but I dig the way these play more. The fact that this is another archetype that benefits off of D Fissure and Macro has me praying one day Chaos Distill will become a TCG card one day.

Looking at the monsters as a whole on their own, I think it's what I would call a solid Tier 1 Deck. It does a lot of damage, being able to work with E Teleport to quickly summon D Fissure on legs is no joke. Both Extra Deck monsters have rather interesting interactions, especially the Xyz and its built in Skill Prisoner. Kiell is quite powerful too, but Alizee just makes itself that much more annoying for your opponent. I wouldn't quite put it on par with Dark Law especially since there aren't many straightforward ways to pull it off, but the things it can do are just fantastic

The Spell and Traps only come to make me love this archetype more. Having a Daigusto Emeral, Fire Lake, and Sinister Shadow Games is quite nice. While they are not nearly as good as those, the diverse options are fantastic! Shredder especially rids of one problem I see already: Monsters with higher than 2650 ATK that are easily accessed in a turn's notice such aa Qliphorr Disk or Masked Hero Acid would be quite painful to deal with. Being able to just be like "E Tele, Shredder, pop, cool?" makes E Tele sound even more cool in this Deck. Unlike Burning Abyss and Fire Lake, it becomes more fair in that most of the resources you get during your opponent's turn you won't be able to use right away or you just end up with an open target. That makes me feel confident in this game.

Overall, a solid Tier 1 Deck, but one that doesn't do way too much. Really love, and might try these on DP, cause this seems kinda fun

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, the archetype was more or less designed to go straight to Tier 1.

Shredder is more of a Icarus Attack/Offering to Snake Deity for Psychics, so teching in other Psychic decks is an option. Also it can make a cute engine along Ragge.

Looking at the Spell/Trap lineup, I'm reducing the number of targets of Soul Prison to 2 so you can't banish 3 Stringzs and generate a +2. Still not sure if the buff on Stringz Wheel is fair or not, but I felt that just drawing 1 card was too bland; or perhaps I could increase the number of the first targets required to 5 to balance it or something.

Gee, I wonder what happened to Pot of Avarice (cough). I would think that a 2-1 split for the Spell card on necessary targets and cutting the draw entirely would make it more realistic to be printed instead of just a straight up +1 for free (and recycling to boot?!).

Otherwise the archetype is fine. I mean there's not much to say about it, it's power for the sake of power - and blameless in that aspect. '_'

Yes, something like "shuffle 5 - draw 2" would be the fairest option, but at the same time I think the card needs a power card to stand against the meta. Also, some achetypes get to have similar power cards. For instance, Yang Zings have an Avarice that shuffles only 3 monsters but draws 2 cards; if I'm not mistaken that's quite potent. In a way, I wanted Cursed Wheel to be a Stringz version of "Yang Zing Path". But then I realized that, unlike Yang Zings, Stringz do more than floating.

In retrospect, I will raise the required shuffled targets to 5. With their Synchro/Xyz capabilities, it shouldn't be difficult to set up anyways.

That's exactly the thing though, the reason that it'd be ridiculous is that it's not difficult to set up. You can't really compare cards to each other in a vacuum unless said card is generic (and then you prep for the worst case of abuse). The cards seem to have Shaddoll levels of dumpability (you can load up your banished and or grave with a decent amount of cards almost instantly) and you intentionally give it a Pot of Avarice that's also searchable? I mean, you can do it if you really want to, but see my previous comment about why I don't think it's a good idea. Given that your Synchro is floating beyond the stratosphere and your Xyz doesn't let half the decks in the game play YGO, I'm not convinced that you need the power boost at all. I mean I'm not sure I should be even saying anything about the archetype after looking at the Synchro, I only looked at the Xyz the first time around.

My opinion, etc etc. Do what you want with your cards man. It's definitely tier 1 enough.

(I'm not exactly trying to be incendiary ... just a bit confused about your goals.)

To put it simply, my goal is to make an archetype similar to BAs, except that float when banished.

I originally wanted to give them an archetype avarice because I figured they would run out of fuel rather quickly, but unlike BA's Dante <--> Cir, they don't have any kind of recursion cycle. Also since most of the monsters will be banished, you cannot tech Emeral to recycle them, so I wanted an emeral/avarice that could recycle banished Stringz.

However, now I agree that it looks like they don't need it at all. I mean, they already got Kiell's second effect for monster recovery. And there is also the Limited "Burial from a Different Dimension", which won't generate any immediate advantage, but can recycle grave fodder. Hell, even "Escape from the Dark Dimension" would be an effective tech because even if the card it interrupted, the revived monster will be banished again and net you card advantage.

So yeah, I will just nerf Stringz Wheel into a 3-1 emeral that can only shuffle banished Stringz, or something among those lines.

Thanks for your feedback and opinions.

Archived