Super Showdown Society (closed)

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YCM username: Andx

Pokemon Showdown username: Andx

Favorite tier: I have no idea. I'm not very knowledgeable about competitive pokemon and what all the various tiers mean. Probably part of why I'm applying, to try and get to know things a little better and have fun with it.

Favorite type: I love Fire and Electric Types but in the three gens I played, rarely seemed to get good ones or needed to have a more varied team.

YCM username: Kazooie

Pokemon Showdown usernameKanade Otonashi

Favorite tier: It's a toss up between all of them except RU really. OU is my most common, LC is my favorite, and PU is one I'm really interested in. Monotype is a load of fun, and I want to give Inverse Battles a shot too. xD

Favorite type: Hard really, Ice is generally my favorite, but Steel is actually a close second since I played Steel Monotype a while back.

So like I don't wanna ask anyone to launch into an enormous explanation but does anyone know of a good place to read up on what all the various tiers are and stuff? Showdown might have it too but haven't poked around much.

So like I don't wanna ask anyone to launch into an enormous explanation but does anyone know of a good place to read up on what all the various tiers are and stuff? Showdown might have it too but haven't poked around much.

Also keep in mind that, on Showdown near the bottom below the "Watch a Battle" button is a "Pokedex" link that you can search Pokemon and see their tier.

As well as when you make a team, it will tell you on the left side of the Pokemon's info what tier it is.

Alright, so the logo is now on a rotator; it should toggle randomly between any of the following when someone visits the front page:

- Charizard (the original SSS logo)

- Hydreigon

- Maractus, Cacnea, & Cacturne (all one logo)

- Samurott

Work on logos from other nominations is currently underway; Mega-Altaria is probably going to be the next one.

But but but muh altaria

An update to my account, changed my name to YCM's Kyng.

Should we perhaps go for a tourney or something sometime?

Updated.

And well, we have 13 members atm. I would like to be able to wait till we got 16, but we can work something out if that doesn't happen.

In that case what does everyone think?

What should the tier/rules be?

If I may propose a setup...

Tier: OU

Rules:

- The tournament would be divided into two parts.  The first part is a round-robin style tournament wherein a player is eliminated after three losses.  After it's been narrowed down to eight players in this manner, we can advance to a good old-fashioned single-elimination tournament with a bracket and everything.  Replays (or screenshots if Showdown chooses not to cooperate) must be provided for proof of the battle's outcome.

- No two Pokemon in a single team are permitted to hold the same item.

- In light of the holidays being a mere two days away (probably even less by the time we start this tournament), all teams are required to have at least one Ice-type Pokemon.

Sounds good, though I think we needn't complicate things. A simple round-robin would work plenty fine.

I'd also suggest we make a distinguish between friendly tourneys and ranked tourneys, ranked tourneys perhaps reflected via standings on the OP?

YCM username: Self-Destruct Button

Pokémon Showdown usernameYuhi Sachiko

Favorite tier: OU

Favorite type: Fairy

My favorite Pokémon are Gardevoir and Diancie (primarily the Mega), I played showdown competitively on a small forum a bit ago, so I know a thing or two about battling in OU, though I observe more than I fight. 

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-oras-ou-suspect-testing-round-1-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles.3525033/

I'd like to throw this in here, if I may. Greninja now suspect tested, after the quickban of Mega Salamence in early ORAS. If this topic is also for discussion, feel free to do so, i'd say.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-oras-ou-suspect-testing-round-1-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles.3525033/

I'd like to throw this in here, if I may. Greninja now suspect tested, after the quickban of Mega Salamence in early ORAS. If this topic is also for discussion, feel free to do so, i'd say.

I could've seen this coming. Protean is such a powerful ability.

It's functionally almost identical with Genesect, actually. Playstyle, role. and problem-wise.

The only difference is that Greninja has less power than download-boosted Genesect and far less bulk with worse defensive typing, but Greninja's mixed sets are generally better, it can hit things on a wider spectrum, and Greninja's far faster than Genesect, bar Scarf gene.

Protean's basically a more consistent Download boost for all non-stab moves after all.

I really am out of touch of ORAS meta aside from the first few weeks of it though, so yeah. I don't think I can gauge Greninja's impact well enough.

It's mostly weak to Talonflame priority-wise. Else it is only hurt after it already attacked and changed its type, other than that it resists Bullet Punch, Sucker Punch, Aqua Jet and Ice Shard. Aerilate Quick Attack is the only other priority (Mega Pinsir) that comes to my mind, other than Talon, but yeah after it attacked it dies to most prios.

I would guess Greninja will be banned, it's a sweeper that can break its own walls, and its only true counter right now is Porygon2 which is, as Smogon.com already said, incredibly niche. It's banworthy in my opinion, because it is a huge problem to any playstyle, remains basically uncounterable and can even take advantage of its counters sometimes. (See: Spikes Greninja vs Chansey - You get 2 layers at least if you use it on the switch, if it stays in after it's instant 3 even - But Spikes ninja is more XY so idk if that's still a thing)

Edit: Forgot Mach Punch, but only Conk runs that, and Conk is pretty bad right meow.

Archived