[YDF] Yugioh Designer Format - Phase 3 - Set 1 Card Creation

-Griffin

YDF_zpsef9b9a83.png
What is the Yugioh Designer Format?

The Yugioh Designer Format, or YDF, is a [acronym="set of cards, banlist, ect"]custom format[/acronym] where users can play Yugioh in a fresh manner. Cards are designed to make a fun, competitive format, instead of what will sell the most boosters to 10-year-olds and get views on an anime. Anyone with strong card designing abilities or the willingness to iterate their cards has a chance to get their creations in the format, but our top priority is something that's fun to play. Our goals include a format where both deck creation and games will give real choices to the players and where games are dynamic and interactive, forcing players to react to each others choices in Deck building and in game.

Where are we now?

We're still building the first set of cards for the format. We're aiming for ~100 custom cards and a bit less than that in [acronym="To increase the size of the early card pool. Some have been changed slightly. TCG cards might be removed later for a purely custom format."]cards imported from the TCG.[/acronym]. Cards are added based on a requirements list. Some cards on the list are sectioned off to be selected by a card contest. Others are selected by the first well designed card to fill the slot.

Click here for the current Card Pool & Requirements List
Note, you can see the TCG list by checking the second sheet on the bottom of that page.

What can I do?

By now we're quite happy with the requirements list and TCG Imports. Our current goal is filling out the remaining requirements. To help speed this up, I'm proposing a standard format for suggesting and accepting/rejecting cards. To suggest a card, put it after in bold & text size 18 "Card suggestion:" . Other people can comment on your card. If they want to see it in the format, they should put a bold & text-size 18 "Accept" in their post, where it's obvious which card it's referring to. The same for "Reject" . You can't accept/reject your own cards. If a card gets 2 accepts with no rejects after around a day, it'll be added. For each reject it gets, it needs another two accepts. If you think I've missed a card, poke me in a message or post about it in the topic. You don't have to accept/reject every card you comment on immediately, and you can change between them on any card as often as you'd like.

I could use people willing to judge cards in the upcoming card contests. I'll probably want 3-5 people including myself to judge the cards. Talking of which, the cards that will have a contest are as followed, and will be run in this order:

• Level 7 or 8 Warrior-Type-Supporting Monster
  • Level 5 or 6 FLIP Monster
  • Level 5 or 6 Fiend-Type-Supporting-Fiend
  • Rank 4 XYZ
  • Level 9 or higher Boss/Cover card

Contests are going to be quite short-lived, probably ~3 day windows for submitting cards. If you want to submit a card to a contest but are afraid you'll miss it, you can 'submit early' by posting it here or in a private message, but make it clear that's the point.

Who's a part of this?

Anyone can post cards and suggest help on other cards. There's a small skype group I post updates to and where we sometimes discuss to that I'll add you to if you ask & send me your skype info. I'm the main person running this, but I'm going to keep a small list here of the people who've contributed most to the design, discussion, and running here on the forums:

* Sleepy
* JamesMuddy
* Voltex - Injustice
* seattleite

Many others have helped, search for the YDF topic tag if you want to dig it all up.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count with me with the contest judging.

I would like to contribute with card making but to be honest I have not had any inspiration recently; so, I want to help with discussing proposed cards. I did miss most cards from the previous thread, but will try to keep an eye on the new cards.

Card Suggestion:

Level-Eating Leech 
WATER [Insect/Effect]
Level 3    1300/200
You can only activate the effect of "Level-Eating Leech" once per turn. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can target 1 Level 5 or higher monster you control; reduce its Level by 3, and if you do, Special Summon this card in Defense Position. If the target was not an Insect-Type, banish this card when it leaves the field.

Accepting this card because it seems playable, can make cool plays, but isn't totally broken. I like the type-bonus without being type-restricted, also.

Card Suggestion:

Star-Catching Firefly

WIND [Insect/Effect]
Level 2    400/700
You can only activate the effect of "Star-Catching Firefly" once per turn. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can target 1 Level 5 or higher monster you control; reduce its Level by 2, and if you do, add this card from your Graveyard to your hand revealed. If the target was not an Insect-Type, banish this card if it is sent from your hand to the Graveyard.

Accepting this card for much the same reasons, although I think it'd make less cool plays than the first

[hr]

Remember guys, a card needs 2 accepts (not from the creator) to get in, so someone else comment on those cards from Sleepy.

[hr]

Card Suggestion: for slot 7 or 8 (generic equip)

Quickdraw Shield

Equip Spell

Increase the DEF of the equipped Card by 500. When the equipped Card battles, you can change it to Defence Position before damage calculation. While this Card is in the Graveyard, during either player's turn you can banish 1 Card from your hand to equip this Card to a Monster you control. If you do, banish this Card when it is removed from the field.

Ruling: When your opponent declares an attack on a Monster you control, you can equip this card from your Graveyard in response and still change the battle position of the card before damage calculation.

Design goals of the card is to make an equip that makes monster's DEF matter a bit more sometimes, something playable that can get something out of dead cards in hand, and something that gives you a choice of when it's really worth using. 

I can't change the size of stuff on my phone, so...
Card Suggestion:

Double Red Light!
Trap Card
When a monster effect is activated, target 1 monster your opponent controls: Negate the effects of 1 monster you control, and if you do, negate the effects of the targeted monster until the end of your next turn.

Accepting this card because it seems playable, can make cool plays, but isn't totally broken. I like the type-bonus without being type-restricted, also.

Accepting this card for much the same reasons, although I think it'd make less cool plays than the first

[hr]

Remember guys, a card needs 2 accepts (not from the creator) to get in, so someone else comment on those cards from Sleepy.

[hr]

Card Suggestion: for slot 7 or 8 (generic equip)

Quickdraw Shield

Equip Spell

Increase the DEF of the equipped Card by 500. When the equipped Card battles, you can change it to Defence Position before damage calculation. While this Card is in the Graveyard, during either player's turn you can banish 1 Card from your hand to equip this Card to a Monster you control. If you do, banish this Card when it is removed from the field.

Ruling: When your opponent declares an attack on a Monster you control, you can equip this card from your Graveyard in response and still change the battle position of the card before damage calculation.

Design goals of the card is to make an equip that makes monster's DEF matter a bit more sometimes, something playable that can get something out of dead cards in hand, and something that gives you a choice of when it's really worth using. 

Accept Quickdraw Shield. It goes well with  the custom Shield Beater Tonli and is overall great as discard fodder and a reaction card when being attacked or to dodge cards with a similar nature as Sakuretsu Armor or Mirror Force (not that those exist in this format right now, but still).

Just gonna do a re-wording of it:

The equipped monster gains 500 DEF. When the equipped monster battles, you can change it to Defense Position before damage calculation. During either player's turn: You can banish 1 card from your hand and target 1 face-up monster you control; equip this card from your Graveyard to the target, and if you do, banish this card when it leaves the field.

Btw, the card in both wordings seems to imply that when equipped normally it can be equipped to any monster on the field, but when equipped from the Graveyard it can only target your own monsters. That sounds great in my opinion. Just pointing that out.

Card Suggestion:

This is a card that doesn't necessarily go with the current set though, and it isn't exactly new:

Sitting Long-Neck

EARTH [Dinosaur/Effect]

Level 3      1200/600

If this card would be destroyed, you can switch it to Defense Position instead. While there are 3 or less cards in your hand and your side of the field combined, this face-up card gains 1200 ATK, 600 DEF, and 3 Levels.

Notes:
-They are both continuous effects.

-It includes itself for the power unlock.

-The protection effect only works if it is face-up in Attack Position, and only if that remains true during resolution in the case of being attempted to be destroyed by an effect.

-Currently it seems to have "Quickdraw Shield" as a natural counter to it (when it is normally equipped). That is part of the reason I decided to post this card xD
-I know we are not working with images at all right now, but a while ago I made this proxy one for the card:http://sleepy17.deviantart.com/art/Siting-Long-Neck-393974695

Card Suggestion:

Double Red Light!
Quick-Play Spell (or Trap)
Target 1 monster your opponent controls: Negate the effects of 1 monster you control, and if you do, Negate the effects of the targeted monster until the end of your next turn.

It's very likely you have a monster with no useful effect sitting around, and a quickplay, decently long lasting effect negation with a small cost/drawback could be too strong. It's more balanced as a trap, but still feels very strong. I'm not sure about this one yet.

Accept Quickdraw Shield. It goes well with  the custom Shield Beater Tonli and is overall great as discard fodder and a reaction card when being attacked or to dodge cards with a similar nature as Sakuretsu Armor or Mirror Force (not that those exist in this format right now, but still).

Just gonna do a re-wording of it:

The equipped monster gains 500 DEF. When the equipped monster battles, you can change it to Defense Position before damage calculation. During either player's turn: You can banish 1 card from your hand and target 1 face-up monster you control; equip this card from your Graveyard to the target, and if you do, banish this card when it leaves the field.

Btw, the card in both wordings seems to imply that when equipped normally it can be equipped to any monster on the field, but when equipped from the Graveyard it can only target your own monsters. That sounds great in my opinion. Just pointing that out.

Thanks for the wording update. I hadn't thought about equipping it to your opponent's monsters but I actually like it, and am happy to leave it that way for now

Card Suggestion:

This is a card that doesn't necessarily go with the current set though, and it isn't exactly new:

Sitting Long-Neck

EARTH [Dinosaur/Effect]

Level 3      1200/600

If this card would be destroyed, you can switch it to Defense Position instead. While there are 3 or less cards in your hand and your side of the field combined, this card gains 1200 ATK, 600 DEF, and 3 Levels.

Notes:
-They are both continuous effects.

-It includes itself for the power unlock.

-The protection effect only works if it is face-up in Attack Position, and only if that remains true during resolution in the case of being attempted to be destroyed by an effect.

-Currently it seems to have "Quickdraw Shield" as a natural counter to it (when it is normally equipped). That is part of the reason I decided to post this card xD
-I know we are not working with images at all right now, but a while ago I made this proxy one for the card:http://sleepy17.deviantart.com/art/Siting-Long-Neck-393974695

I like it. Clearly very powerful if your level 3 monster suddenly becomes a 2400 ATK beater, but there's a fair few playable cards that make the opponent draw in the format and not many great ways to discard for bonuses/ect, so I really doubt that will break the game wide open. The destruction resistance is also fairly elegant in how you can play around it and that you never need a specific answer, simply two sufficient attacks can do it. Before I accept it though, does it increase it's level (and ATK/DEF, I suppose), in the hand/Deck/Graveyard/ect, or is that effect only active while face-up?

The image is cute, also.

It's very likely you have a monster with no useful effect sitting around, and a quickplay, decently long lasting effect negation with a small cost/drawback could be too strong. It's more balanced as a trap, but still feels very strong. I'm not sure about this one yet.

I like it. Clearly very powerful if your level 3 monster suddenly becomes a 2400 ATK beater, but there's a fair few playable cards that make the opponent draw in the format and not many great ways to discard for bonuses/ect, so I really doubt that will break the game wide open. The destruction resistance is also fairly elegant in how you can play around it and that you never need a specific answer, simply two sufficient attacks can do it. Before I accept it though, does it increase it's level (and ATK/DEF, I suppose), in the hand/Deck/Graveyard/ect, or is that effect only active while face-up?

The image is cute, also.

Thank you (about the drawing)
and yes, it is just a continuous in-field effect. I think I'm gonna edit it to clarify that because I guess there are conditions out there that work that way like the Harpie names, thinking about it.

EDIT: Done. "this face-up card" was added to it.

Card Suggestion:

Double Red Light!
Quick-Play Spell (or Trap)
Target 1 monster your opponent controls: Negate the effects of 1 monster you control, and if you do, Negate the effects of the targeted monster until the end of your next turn.

I don't know how I missed this post originally.

I think a Normal Trap card would be the best route for it, and to have it activate when the effect of a monster you control activates (specifically). That way it won't be entirely chainable tu it'll be workable with ignition and trigger effects you might use, and your monsters won't bypass it. It'd only not work with continuous effects like the Dinosaur I just posted, or on a Beast King Barbaros to recover its original ATK like he usually does with Skill Drain.

- Level-Eating Leech

- Star-Catching Firefly

Accept both.  Leech is a less spammable, and thus more fair, Level Eater that encourages the use of Insects. Firefly is basically its hand-advantage counterpart.

- Sitting Long Neck

Accepting this one. A monster with unimpressive base stats that helps you keep field presence, but helps you by turning into a 2400-ATK beater when you are at disadvantage, giving you the opportunity to catch up.

- Quickdraw Shield.

Feels kinda weak in my opinion. Recycling itself (albeit only once and at the cost of a card) and shifting to DEF mode is good to keep your Life Points safe, but investing card in DEF boosts usually won't lead you anywhere, and 500 DEF is not really an impressive boost either. I don't know, I think it would be much better to run an Equip Spell that raises ATK instead of DEF.

- Double Red Light!

Not a fan of this. it's more of a Fiendish Chain that requires you to have a face-up monster on the field to be live. Would be open to be abused by monsters that want their effects negated, such as TCG Qlips and Barbaros. Yes, those monsters are not available in this format, but just having this card in the pool could restrict us from creating them.

- Quickdraw Shield.

Feels kinda weak in my opinion. Recycling itself (albeit only once and at the cost of a card) and shifting to DEF mode is good to keep your Life Points safe, but investing card in DEF boosts usually won't lead you anywhere, and 500 DEF is not really an impressive boost either. I don't know, I think it would be much better to run an Equip Spell that raises ATK instead of DEF.

To its defense, it does have a couple alright plays. After digging through the pool:

Royal Magical Library on turn 1 can be a 2500 DEF monster immediately on Defense Position and with a Spell Counter on it. It also helps a monster that was just used with Shield & Sword have some extra ATK and then not be in much danger when it is no longer affected by it. For both uses, as long as the card is equipped you can keep putting it in Defense Position.

The way it is currently written, the first (normal) speed 1 use can be equipped to an opponent's monster and since the Equip's owner gets to decide to change it, it means X monster can't attack while this card is equipped to it. It also brings down some beaters like Harpie's Brother or Summoned Skull.

An issue it can have is that it has its share of uses where you'd rather use Book of Moon since it is more of a surprise element and can seal off attacks, usage as Materials for Xyzs and Synchros, and effects to a degree.

Submitting something I made earlier but changed slightly to fit a niche. Also will have reviews of the current cards in due time.

Card Suggestion:

14)

Lancer Cavalier

EARTH

Beast-Warrior/Xyz/Effect

R5/2400/1900

2 Level 5 monsters

If this card battles a Level 6 or higher monster: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card; this card gains 1000 ATK during damage calculation only.

Vamped to a Rank 5, as well as an appropriate ATK/DEF boost. I still want it to be a boss killer, but now it requires a significant amount more investment to make, for a significantly higher payoff.

I'll probably post more, but as of right now I like all of the cards listed, and I'll give that second Accept to Sitting Long Neck.

I've changed my card a little bit so it is a bit more balanced. I made it a trap and have it activate when the opponent's monster activates its effect.

I'm not sure about Sitting Long Neck. It just feels weird because of you were on that much of a loss, your opponent would make sure that thing can't be Summoned/ is on the field. It just seems like a very easy to predict card. No accepting or rejecting yet.

After the clarification, Accepting Sitting Long-Neck. Sleepy's 3 cards have been added to the sheet.

Double Red Light now feels pretty close to okay, but I'm still cautious and want to hear other people's thoughts. 

A note on Quickdraw Shield: It's intended use is on monsters with higher DEF than ATK, so they can still attack sometimes but not be run over easily. It's not intended to be a super-strong power-play card, but a cute tech some Decks might make good use of. It also has the bonus of allowing you to change something's battle position to run over it. 

For Lancer, it seems a reasonable beater for a R5. Fairly simple & strong, willing to Accept it.

[hr]

Some new cards:

Card Suggestion:

Stance Serpent

WATER/Sea-Serpent/Effect/Level 4

500/2300

When this card is flipped face-up, swap its ATK and DEF immediately.

Very vulnerable when first dropped in either stance, but if you manage to change its stance with a card like Lurking Serpents or Quickdraw Shield, its statline becomes impressive for its level. 

(occurs before damage calculation if attacked)

Card Suggestion:

Conduit Mage

FIRE/Spellcaster/Effect/Level 3

800/1500

Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell Card resolves. During your Main Phase or when this card is declared as an attack target, you can remove all Spell Counters from this card and target a face-up Monster. Sunder the target by 400 for each Spell Counter removed.

Thematic spellcaster that makes a simple use of the Sunder mechanic to blast stuff. Can be added to any spell-heavy Decks as generic removal. Works nicely with Quickdraw.

Card Suggestion:

Easy as XYZ

Normal Spell

Target 2 Monsters you control with different levels. The higher level Monster's level becomes that of the lower level Monster. During your next End Phase, draw 1 card.

Lets you XYZ with any 2 monsters and cycles itself, but the lower end of the two, dead card if you can't get 2 monsters. Seems like a cute card that a few things could make use of. Being a cycle-spell, works nice with Royal Magical Library and Conduit Mage.

Quickdraw Shield

Yes, the card is best suited for monsters with high DEF, that should be obvious; you wouldn't invest DEF on a card with low DEF to begin with. I did overlook the card's offensive capabilities of equipping to an opponent's monster and forcing it to switch to DEF Position. As for the recycling effect, I was thinking maybe it could get away without the banish discard for a free +500 DEF boost; I would like to read the thoughts of others on this suggestion.

Stance Serpent

Isn't 2300 DEF above the standard for Level4 monsters with an effect? Granted, as explained above, taking full advantage of the card would be tricky, but still, 2300 feels like pushing it a bit too far. Well, to be fair, it relies on other cards to work properly, So Accepting this card for now.

Conduit Mage

I suggest to add an OPT or possibly a hard OPT clause on this because Spell-heavy decks could potentially generate enough counters to Sunder and destroy multiple monsters in a single turn.

Easy as XYZ

Accepting it. It replaces itself with a delayed card draw so it doesn't cost card advantage (unless you don't survive the next 2 turns), and forcing you to go for the lowest Rank should further keep it on check. Really, it looks like a cute tech.

Card Suggestion:

36)

The Land of Corporealizing Shadows

Field Spell Card

If a DARK monster attacks, or is attacked, the controller of that monster can make it a direct attack. If they do, battle damage is halved.

Card Suggestion:

38)

Silhouette

Normal Trap Card

Activate when a player takes damage from a DARK monster (either by battle or effect). Gain Life Points equal to the damage, and Special Summon 1 "Silhouette" Token (Spellcaster/DARK/Level 1/0/0) to either player's field. If summoned to the opponent's field, it cannot be tributed, and cannot change battle positions, except by a card effect.

Card Suggestion:

47)

Aflatoxin

Equip Spell Card

During each Standby Phase, Sunder the equipped monster by 400. When the equipped monster is removed from the field or used as Xyz Material, and this card is sent to the Graveyard, during the End Phase: You can equip this card to a face-up monster.

Card Suggestion:

59)

Mindreader Mutate

Psychic | LIGHT | Level 4

While this card is face-up on the field, reveal your opponent's hand. This card's ATK and DEF is equal to the highest ATK and DEF among monsters in your opponent's hand.

[ ? / ? ]

Card Suggestion:

60)

Reiki Warrior

Pyro | FIRE | Level 4

When a monster you control attacks, gain 300 Life Points. When a monster your opponent controls attacks, inflict 300 damage.

[ 1600 / 1600 ]

Quickdraw Shield
Yes, the card is best suited for monsters with high DEF, that should be obvious; you wouldn't invest DEF on a card with low DEF to begin with. I did overlook the card's offensive capabilities of equipping to an opponent's monster and forcing it to switch to DEF Position. As for the recycling effect, I was thinking maybe it could get away without the banish discard for a free +500 DEF boost; I would like to read the thoughts of others on this suggestion.

You might be right that the banish is too heavy of a cost: Does anyone here have a suggestion for a lesser cost? I think removing the cost and not adding a new cost/drawback/restriction could be a bit too much.

Conduit Mage
I suggest to add an OPT or possibly a hard OPT clause on this because Spell-heavy decks could potentially generate enough counters to Sunder and destroy multiple monsters in a single turn.

I think its okay to allow said Deck to exist and make a power-play like that. We're a slower format but plays that require serious Deck & card investment should still be rewarding and shake the board up.

Card Suggestion:

36)

Field Spell Card
If a DARK monster attacks, or is attacked, the controller of that monster can make it a direct attack. If they do, battle damage is halved.

The halved damage thing both stops this being abusive for OTKs and makes it not absurdly costly for monster protection. I like it. Accept from me.

Card Suggestion:

38)

Silhouette
Normal Trap Card
Activate when a player takes damage from a DARK monster (either by battle or effect). Gain Life Points equal to the damage, and Special Summon 1 "Silhouette" Token (Spellcaster/DARK/Level 1/0/0) to either player's field. If summoned to the opponent's field, it cannot be tributed, and cannot change battle positions, except by a card effect.

So, usually this will be a block-one-direct-attack-make-fodder-body. It feels like a really specific Deck that doesn't use Necro Gardna over this. Simply seems too weak and I'm not a big fan of board-cloggers in genera.

Card Suggestion:

47)

Aflatoxin
Equip Spell Card
During each Standby Phase, Sunder the equipped monster by 300. When the equipped monster is removed from the field or used as Xyz Material, and this card is sent to the Graveyard, during the End Phase: You can equip this card to a face-up monster.

I like the concept and also that it isn't tricked by XYZs, but since it has no immediate board impact, I think it might simply be too slow to be played, even in this format. Do other people think the same? 

Card Suggestion:

59)

Mindreader Mutate
While this card is face-up on the field, reveal your opponent's hand. This card's ATK and DEF is equal to the highest ATK and DEF among monsters in your opponent's hand.
[ ? / ? ]

I like the thematics as a psychic, and that it has some way to play around it, but I'm also worried it will wind up being a bit too strong if the opponent packs any really big stuff. Might be countered by the fact removal of low-level dudes is usually easier in this format. I'm a bit on the fence, but willing enough to see how it plays that I'm going to Accept for now.

Card Suggestion:

60)

Reiki Warrior
Warrior | FIRE | Level 4
When a monster you control attacks, gain 300 Life Points. When a monster your opponent controls attacks, inflict 300 damage.
[ 1600 / 1600 ]

Simple effect, solid statline, could possibly see this more thematically as a Pyro or Fairy or such, especially since we have so many Warriors, will probably accept later, but want the type to at least be considered first.

Card Suggestion:

Crush
Normal Spell
Destroy 1 Monster with a lower level than a Monster you control.

Card Suggestion:

Servant's Retribution
Normal Spell 
Special Summon 1 Monster in your opponent's Graveyard. Skip this turn's Battle Phase. You cannot draw cards for the rest of this turn.

Card Suggestion:

Undertaker's Underhandedness
Normal Spell
The next time a card would be destroyed and sent to your opponent's Graveyard before the End Phase of your next turn, add it to your hand instead.

@ Griffin - I edited my post.

Card Suggestion:

Crush

Normal Spell

Gives big monsters a reason to run. ACCEPT

Card Suggestion:

Servant's Retribution

Normal Spell 

Special Summon 1 Monster in your opponent's Graveyard. Skip your next Battle Phase. You cannot draw cards for the rest of this turn.

The draw restriction seems kinda unnecessary. I like the concept of using opponent's cards against them, but just skipping your battle phase makes this too powerful IMO.

Card Suggestion:

Normal Spell

The next time a card would be destroyed and sent to your opponent's Graveyard, add it to your hand instead. 

Awesome. ACCEPT

Card Suggestion:

Staff of Necromancy

Equip Spell

Activate this card by banishing 1 monster from your Graveyard; the equipped monster gains ATK equal to half the ATK of the banished monster, also its Level becomes equal to to that monster's Level.

I like the combos with this. What if you banish an Xyz? ACCEPT

Submitting something I made earlier but changed slightly to fit a niche. Also will have reviews of the current cards in due time.

Card Suggestion:

Lancer Cavalier

EARTH

Beast-Warrior/Xyz/Effect

R5/2450/1900

2 Level 5 monsters

If this card battles a Level 6 or higher monster: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card; this card gains 1000 ATK during damage calculation only.

Vamped to a Rank 5, as well as an appropriate ATK/DEF boost. I still want it to be a boss killer, but now it requires a significant amount more investment to make, for a significantly higher payoff.

I'll probably post more, but as of right now I like all of the cards listed, and I'll give that second Accept to Sitting Long Neck.

Accept.

It is a slightly weak beater for its Rank, but it is still respectable, and it becomes able to take down the typical Rank 6/Level 8 beaters once. 

I have a slight dislike for attacks that end up in 50s or lower, but that is more of a personal thing xP

I've changed my card a little bit so it is a bit more balanced. I made it a trap and have it activate when the opponent's monster activates its effect.

I'm not sure about Sitting Long Neck. It just feels weird because of you were on that much of a loss, your opponent would make sure that thing can't be Summoned/ is on the field. It just seems like a very easy to predict card. No accepting or rejecting yet.

The doubling power effect is supposed to be a bit situational. It is a bonus to get back up, or a mean play when Rush Recklessly or Zero Gravity was your 4th card xP

Card Suggestion:

Stance Serpent

WATER/Sea-Serpent/Effect/Level 4

500/2300

When this card is flipped face-up, swap its ATK and DEF immediately.

Very vulnerable when first dropped in either stance, but if you manage to change its stance with a card like Lurking Serpents or Quickdraw Shield, its statline becomes impressive for its level. 

(occurs before damage calculation if attacked)

Card Suggestion:

Conduit Mage

FIRE/Spellcaster/Effect/Level 3

800/1500

Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell Card resolves. During your Main Phase or when this card is declared as an attack target, you can remove all Spell Counters from this card and target a face-up Monster. Sunder the target by 400 for each Spell Counter removed.

Thematic spellcaster that makes a simple use of the Sunder mechanic to blast stuff. Can be added to any spell-heavy Decks as generic removal. Works nicely with Quickdraw.

Card Suggestion:

Easy as XYZ

Normal Spell

Target 2 Monsters you control with different levels. The higher level Monster's level becomes that of the lower level Monster. During your next End Phase, draw 1 card.

Lets you XYZ with any 2 monsters and cycles itself, but the lower end of the two, dead card if you can't get 2 monsters. Seems like a cute card that a few things could make use of. Being a cycle-spell, works nice with Royal Magical Library and Conduit Mage.

Stance Serpent:
Just to clarify: Flip rules in the game will have the monster that attacks it face-down crash against a 2300 DEF wall, then if he's still there the effect will kick in and switch them. It is a rule I don't know 100% by heart, but I remember that's why Arsenal Summoner's FLIP cannot immediately search Stronghold Guardian quick enough to defend himself with it IRL, Brain Jacker also can't control a monster until it is sure that it'll survive the fight to be able to turn into a mind-sucking equip.

That said, Book of Moon would work better for it in this case.

I have to say I am liking the Sea Serpent theme so far.

Accept.

Conduit Mage:

I'll wait for more feedback on it... 

Easy as Xyz:

Accept. 

Consistency boost for Xyzs when the deck doesn't perfectly match a Level. Plus the delayed draw to get back up from the play.

Card Suggestion:

36)

Field Spell Card

Card Suggestion:

38)

Silhouette

Normal Trap Card

Card Suggestion:

47)

Aflatoxin

Equip Spell Card

During each Standby Phase, Sunder the equipped monster by 400. When the equipped monster is removed from the field or used as Xyz Material, and this card is sent to the Graveyard, during the End Phase: You can equip this card to a face-up monster.

Card Suggestion:

59)

Mindreader Mutate

[ ? / ? ]

Card Suggestion:

60)

Reiki Warrior

Pyro | FIRE | Level 4

[ 1600 / 1600 ]

The Land of Corporealizing Shadows:

More generic Ghostrick Mansion. I can Accept this.

Silhouette:

Suggestion:

When a player takes battle damage from a battle involving a DARK monster: Gain LP equal to the damage and Special Summon 1 "Silhouette Token" (DARK/ Spellcaster/ Level 1/ ATK 0/ DEF 0) to either side of the field. It cannot switch its position or be Tributed.

This way as long as you are running DARK monsters, you don't need to wait to be damaged by one so it is more in your control. It also works as a Kuriboh + wall/Tribute/Material or a LP gain. Just a 0/0 Token or just a +LP effect is not enough to not be generic IMO.

Aflatoxin:

I like how it is an always-returning Spell, though it is true that it is a tad slow going at 300 per turn, starting from your next Standby Phase, and having delayed re-activation.

I have an idea. What if it instead immediately Sundered the original ATK/DEF of the equipped monster, and reactivated immediately ONLY once per turn, "If the equipped monster leaves the field, except when destroyed by battle"?

Mind-Reader Mutate:
Looking at the hand is a pretty strong effect. Though to its defense, it depends on the opponent's cards so it isn't all that reliable. It can be strong, but it'll also become weaker on your opponents' actions. Err I'd Accept it and see how it does.

Reiki Warrior:
 ATK is under beater standards and it'll probably take a lot of stall to make the burn workable, and the heal is also kinda low. Both also require some degree of swarm.

It definitely doesn't fit the "Warrior" theme, it doesn't use Type/Attribute/Level to its advantage, and the effect seems like it'd be better suited for a Continuous Spell/Trap or Field Spell.

I think there's work to do on this card, though I'm not sure what to suggest.

Card Suggestion:

Crush

Normal Spell

Card Suggestion:

Servant's Retribution

Normal Spell 

Special Summon 1 Monster in your opponent's Graveyard. Skip your next Battle Phase. You cannot draw cards for the rest of this turn.

Card Suggestion:

Normal Spell

The next time a card would be destroyed and sent to your opponent's Graveyard, add it to your hand instead. 

Crush:
Whelp, downgraded Fissure is officially outclassed. Sounds like a card that can kick a player while he's down, and I'm not a big fan of that, and it looks like easy to Summon high Level small fry would be an issue to create now. Well at least is not for "lower ATK" so hopefully it works out. It is not like the concept is on Dark Hole's level either.. Accept and see what happens.

Servant's Retribution:

Err... delayed Battle Phase skip... One of Monster Reborn's issues was OTK potential, meaning it could end it before that "next Battle Phase". I think it'd be better if it skipped that turn's like a soft version of Soul Charge. Also, the "cannot draw cards for the rest of the turn" seems a bit random. What do you have in mind with this one?

Undertaker's Underhandedness:

As in, it doesn't matter what kind of card and how many turns pass? I think it needs to be restricted to a kind of card or a kind of destruction, and probably also have a "time's up" clause like "This effect is active until your next Standby Phase". This is essentially a better Grave Robber as is, and I love Grave Robber, but this is a bit too broad IMO. Loving the name though.

Card Suggestion:

Staff of Necromancy

Equip Spell

Activate this card by banishing 1 monster from your Graveyard; the equipped monster gains ATK equal to half the ATK of the banished monster, also its Level becomes equal to to that monster's Level.

I have no issue with this card. Accept. I rather like the flavor behind it.

I have a slight dislike for attacks that end up in 50s or lower, but that is more of a personal thing xP

I have no idea how that 50 got there. Fixed, and added the number of the card for the set.

Card Suggestion:

31)
Intuitum Malcabriche
DARK
Fiend/Effect
4/1400/1400
If this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: both players draw a card, then each player may choose to send a card from their hand to the graveyard to draw another card.

Combined with some of the DARK support, this actually seems pretty crazy, but I wanted to go with a "start big, then sand it down to the good parts" approach to its design.

@Anarchic Knowledge Fiend

Funky card that could draw a lot, but requires some setup and an attack. Sets up DARK monsters in the Graveyard decently nicely, too, which I imagine some will build off of. I'll Accept this. 

I'm now willing to Accept both Reiki Warrior and Aflatoxin and see how they do. 

From feedback, I've slightly retooled two of the last cards I posted:

Servant's Retribution
Normal Spell 
Special Summon 1 Monster in your opponent's Graveyard. Skip this turn's Battle Phase. You cannot draw cards for the rest of this turn. If the Monster is not level 4 or lower, your opponent draws a card.

Note here: The cannot-draw-cards thing is because the truly silly explosive plays tend to be a combination of Special Summons, Draws, and search/recovery to the hand. This is just a 'safety clause' to stop it being part of game-breaking plays that instantly fill the board, without specific combos required to be in mind. 

Normal Spell
The next time a card would be destroyed and sent to your opponent's Graveyard before the End Phase of your next turn, add it to your hand instead.

New Card Suggestion:

Devouring Dragon

Level 4/DARK/Dragon/Effect

1400/1200

Once per turn, you can tribute 1 Card you control; this card gains 800 ATK & DEF.

Note: This lets you tribute spell/traps, although I don't think that interacts with anything at the moment.

EDIT: Staff of Necromancy, Lancer Cavalier, The Land of Corporealizing Shadows, Crush, Easy as XYZ, Mindreader Mutate, Stance Serpent have been added.

Silhouette:

Suggestion:

When a player takes battle damage from a battle involving a DARK monster: Gain LP equal to the damage and Special Summon 1 "Silhouette Token" (DARK/ Spellcaster/ Level 1/ ATK 0/ DEF 0) to either side of the field. It cannot switch its position or be Tributed.

This way as long as you are running DARK monsters, you don't need to wait to be damaged by one so it is more in your control. It also works as a Kuriboh + wall/Tribute/Material or a LP gain. Just a 0/0 Token or just a +LP effect is not enough to not be generic IMO.

It doesn't need to be just the opponent, you can damage them with your DARK monster. But thanks, I think it's best to just scrap this idea.

Aflatoxin:

I like how it is an always-returning Spell, though it is true that it is a tad slow going at 300 per turn, starting from your next Standby Phase, and having delayed re-activation.

I have an idea. What if it instead immediately Sundered the original ATK/DEF of the equipped monster, and reactivated immediately ONLY once per turn, "If the equipped monster leaves the field, except when destroyed by battle"?

It's during each standby phase, including your opponent's. And I also changed it to 400. It's also hard to get rid of and making it exclude battle would make it weaker. That's gotta be good enough, no?

Reiki Warrior:
 ATK is under beater standards and it'll probably take a lot of stall to make the burn workable, and the heal is also kinda low. Both also require some degree of swarm.

It definitely doesn't fit the "Warrior" theme, it doesn't use Type/Attribute/Level to its advantage, and the effect seems like it'd be better suited for a Continuous Spell/Trap or Field Spell.

I think there's work to do on this card, though I'm not sure what to suggest.

It's already a Pyro... what version of this card are you seeing? :P

Speaking of which, where is the list of type/attribute themes? I think the OP should be updated with it.

But thanks, I agree it needs work.

Card Suggestion:

31)
Anarchic Knowledge Fiend [working title]
DARK
Fiend/Effect
4/1400/1400
If this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: both players draw a card, then each player may choose to send a card from their hand to the graveyard to draw another card.

Looks fine to me. ACCEPT

New Card Suggestion:

Devouring Dragon

Level 4/DARK/Dragon/Effect

1400/1200

Once per turn, you can tribute 1 Card you control; this card gains 800 ATK & DEF.

Note: This lets you tribute spell/traps, although I don't think that interacts with anything at the moment.

EDIT: Staff of Necromancy, Lancer Cavalier, The Land of Corporealizing Shadows, Crush, Easy as XYZ, Mindreader Mutate, Stance Serpent have been added.

I think this could be OK. For a -1, you're getting a 1-tribute monster, and a -2, you're getting a 2-tribute monster, but with no extra effect. That's the way I see it

Edits to my card:

Card Suggestion (edit from Reiki Warrior):

Reiki Channeling

Continuous Spell Card

When a monster you control attacks, gain 400 Life Points. When a monster your opponent controls attacks, inflict 300 damage.

new Card Suggestion

Howling Wind Imp

Fiend | WIND | Level 4

Once per turn: You can target 1 Spell or Trap card on the field; Return it to the owner's hand. If you control no Spell/Trap cards, excluding Field Spell cards, this card gains 400 ATK.

[ 1700 / 1300 ]

new Card Suggestion

Squirrel Barracks

Beast | WIND | Level 2

Up to twice per turn, If your opponent controls more monsters than you: You can Special Summon 1 "Squirrel Barracks" from your Hand, Deck or Graveyard. The summoned monster cannot be used as Xyz material.

[ 1000 / 0 ]

new Card Suggestion

Yunus, Wrathful Creation

Fish | FIRE | Level 4

If this card is in your Hand or on the Field: You can place it face-up as a Continuous Spell card. When your opponent's monster attacks: You can Special Summon this card as a Continuous Spell card, and redirect the attack to this monster.

[ 1400 / 2000 ]

Edits to my card:

Card Suggestion (edit from Reiki Warrior):

Reiki Channeling

Continuous Spell Card

When a monster you control attacks, gain 400 Life Points. When a monster your opponent controls attacks, inflict 300 damage.

I'm actually on the other side of the fence in that I preferred it with a body: this card just feels underwhelming and not too interesting to see on the field.

new Card Suggestion

Howling Wind Imp

Fiend | WIND | Level 4

Once per turn: You can target 1 Spell or Trap card on the field; Return it to the owner's hand. If you control no Spell/Trap cards, excluding Field Spell cards, this card gains 400 ATK.

[ 1700 / 1300 ]

Not a fan of returning S/Ts to the hand in general, since the main use of that is for OTKs, and returning your own often means nothing since you just set again.

new Card Suggestion

Squirrel Barracks

Beast | WIND | Level 2

Up to twice per turn, If your opponent controls more monsters than you: You can Special Summon 1 "Squirrel Barracks" from your Hand, Deck or Graveyard. The summoned monster cannot be used as Xyz material.

[ 1000 / 0 ]

I like this one, but I think they need the twice/turn thing to be global, otherwise this could get very silly with summoning one, killing the first, second summons the first, kill the second, repeat. I'm also a bit worried that it summons from Graveyard and they're never banished, which could push it into being too silly. I like the idea/design, but think it needs some balance tweaks before going in.

new Card Suggestion

Yunus, Wrathful Creation

Fish | FIRE | Level 4

If this card is in your Hand or on the Field: You can place it face-up as a Continuous Spell card. When your opponent's monster attacks: You can Special Summon this card as a Continuous Spell card, and redirect the attack to this monster.

[ 1400 / 2000 ]

I like this, but I think the DEF might be a bit too high since it can still just be set. With a bit lower DEF, I'd vote this in.

I really like this idea, so i try with these 2 cards.

Card Suggestion (#22) or (#73-76)

Mahaifinsa, Father of Dragons

Level 8 | [LIGHT/Dragon/Effect]
ATK/3000 DEF/2000

When this card is Special Summoned, its DEF becomes 0. If 1, or more Dragon-Type monster would be destroyed by a card effect, you can sunder this card by 1000: negate that effect. If this card is destroyed by its own effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Uwar, Mother of Dragons" from your Graveyard in face-up Defense position.

Card suggestion (#23) or (#73-76)

Uwar, Mother of Dragons

Level 6 | [LIGHT/Dragon/Effect]
ATK/2300 DEF/2800

When this card is Tribute Summoned: You can add 1 Dragon-Type monster from you deck to your hand. This card can be treated as 2 Tributes for the Tribute Summon of a Dragon-Type monster.

I really like this idea, so i try with these 2 cards.

Card Suggestion (#22) or (#73-76)

Mahaifinsa, Father of Dragons

Level 8 | [LIGHT/Dragon/Effect]
ATK/3000 DEF/2000
When this card is Special Summoned, its DEF becomes 0. If 1, or more Dragon-Type monster would be destroyed by a card effect, you can sunder this card by 1000: negate that effect. If this card is destroyed by its own effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Uwar, Mother of Dragons" from your Graveyard in face-up Defense position.

Card suggestion (#23) or (#73-76)

Uwar, Mother of Dragons

Level 6 | [LIGHT/Dragon/Effect]
ATK/2300 DEF/2800

When this card is Tribute Summoned: You can add 1 Dragon-Type monster from you deck to your hand. This card can be treated as 2 Tributes for the Tribute Summon of a Dragon-Type monster.

These aren't how I imagined Dragons going, but they look solid regardless. I'd be happy to Accept both on grounds of filling out the set and seeing no real problems with them. Not the biggest fan of calling out specific cards in effects, but since it's just a pair instead of an archtype or such and it could still be playable without each other, I'm okay with it.

More Card Suggestion:

Supply Line
EARTH/Warrior/Effect/Level 3
0/1700
You can activate this Card as a Continuous Spell Card. While this Card is face-up on the Field as a Monster or Continuous Spell Card, you draw 2 Cards during each of your Draw Phases instead of 1. If this card is destroyed while it was treated as a Continuous Spell Card, skip your next Draw Phase.

Every army needs a supply line, but you'd better hope the enemy doesn't break it! note: Multiple of these will not stack, because they make you draw 2 instead of adding 1.

And one more Card Suggestion:

Generous Double Summon
Normal Spell
Normal Summon 1 Monster from your hand. If it is a Tribute Summon, you can ignore any number of tributes. For each tribute you ignore, your opponent draws 1 card. You cannot ignore specific or restricted tributes (e.g., "1 Warrior-Type Monster"). You can only activate 1 "Generous Double Summon" per turn.

Could be fun to see some decks focusing on the big main-deck Monsters of the set, sacrificing card advantage and deck slots for a better ability to throw out those hard-to-remove brawlers. This is one way to enable that. What better to go with it than another big monster? Like the a Card Suggestion for for a high-level dragon.

Great Nest-Mother, The Egg Guardian
FIRE/Dragon/Effect/Level 8
2400/3500
When this card is Summoned, Summon 2 "Egg Token"s (Dragon-Type/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) or banish this Card. "Egg Token"s can only be removed from the field by your opponent's cards (by card effect or by battle) while this Card is face-up. "Egg Token"s cannot attack. When an "Egg Token" is attacked, change this Card to Defence Position and redirect the attack to this Card. When an Egg Token is removed from the field, this Card loses 800 DEF and gains 900 ATK. 

Big wall that can punch decently - if your opponent AoEs, becomes a 4200 ATK beater, but suddenly only a 1900 DEF wall, and they might have already forced it into Defense Position! 'can only be removed from the field by your opponent's cards' means you cannot tribute them, use them as Synchro Material, or Fusion Material, they're tokens so you can't use them for XYZ, and your own card effects can't destroy them either.

Archived