[YDF] Yugioh Designer Format - Phase 3 - Set 1 Card Creation

-Griffin

Recap of cards on the first page that haven't been accepted yet, as far as I can tell this is the most recent version of each:

Quickdraw Shield

Equip Spell
Increase the DEF of the equipped Card by 500. When the equipped Card battles, you can change it to Defence Position before damage calculation. While this Card is in the Graveyard, during either player's turn you can banish 1 Card from your hand to equip this Card to a Monster you control. If you do, banish this Card when it is removed from the field.

Ruling: When your opponent declares an attack on a Monster you control, you can equip this card from your Graveyard in response and still change the battle position of the card before damage calculation. 

Double Red Light!
Trap Card
When a monster effect is activated, target 1 monster your opponent controls: Negate the effects of 1 monster you control, and if you do, negate the effects of the targeted monster until the end of your next turn.

Conduit Mage
FIRE/Spellcaster/Effect/Level 3
800/1500
Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell Card resolves. During your Main Phase or when this card is declared as an attack target, you can remove all Spell Counters from this card and target a face-up Monster. Sunder the target by 400 for each Spell Counter removed.

Aflatoxin
Equip Spell Card
During each Standby Phase, Sunder the equipped monster by 400. When the equipped monster is removed from the field or used as Xyz Material, and this card is sent to the Graveyard, during the End Phase: You can equip this card to a face-up monster.

Reiki Warrior
Pyro | FIRE | Level 4
When a monster you control attacks, gain 300 Life Points. When a monster your opponent controls attacks, inflict 300 damage.
[ 1600 / 1600 ]

Servant's Retribution
Normal Spell 
Special Summon 1 Monster in your opponent's Graveyard. Skip this turn's Battle Phase. You cannot draw cards for the rest of this turn. If the Monster is not level 4 or lower, your opponent draws a card.

Undertaker's Underhandedness
Normal Spell
The next time a card would be destroyed and sent to your opponent's Graveyard before the End Phase of your next turn, add it to your hand instead.

Devouring Dragon
Level 4/DARK/Dragon/Effect
1400/1200
Once per turn, you can tribute 1 Card you control; this card gains 800 ATK & DEF.

Note: This lets you tribute spell/traps, although I don't think that interacts with anything at the moment.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the recap.

Aflatoxin & Reiki Warrior

I think both are too slow. I agree with Sleepy's suggestion on Aflatoxin. On Reiki Warrior, I think a heal&burn of 500 would be more noticeable.

Servant's Retribution

So this Summons from the opponent's Graveyard? Kinda like "Autonomous Action Unit" except without LP cost, monster is not bound to the Spell, and can get a Level 4 or lower without being punished. I don't like how it more or less outclasses the former. Perhaps water it down it by making it a Continuous Spell/Trap and bind the monster to it?

This one is silly. Basically, it allows you to take the next card the opponent loses from destruction. Not sure of this one. You could potentially steal an opponent's power card, pressure the opponent with "Local Hurricane" (e.g. opponent: do I give him/her this Spell/Trap, or let him/her draw 2?) or otherwise play amusing mind games. I think the effect should only apply to monsters to prevent the above tricks with Local Hurricane or other Spell/Trap removal. But even then, there would be combos with Fissure/Crush + this.

Devouring Dragon

This one looks ok. Trades card advantage for power and can get bigger in a pinch, and reaches a decent 2200 ATK after the first investment. The only issue would be the ruling because Spell/Traps cannot be Tributed by card mechanics, if I remember correctly. But it can be easily fixed by using the "send to the Graveyard" mechanic instead.

Now, on cards in this page:

Reiki Channeling

Same issue as Reiki Warrior. Except that this may need an stronger heal&burn effect because a Continuous Spell has less uses than a monster.

Howling Wind Imp

Not a fan of Spell/Trap Card bouncing either. Plus this could be abused with Spell/Traps that bind their users, in a similar way to "Mist Valley Falcon".

Squirrel Barracks

As Griffin pointed out, this needs a hard OPT clause to prevent loops. Summoning from the grave is questionable as well, because of the loops it enables. Perhaps nerfing the effect so it Summons from the Deck only? Similar to Hyena, Bubonic Vermin, Nimble Mommonga, etc.

Yunus, Wrathful Creation

Same as Griffin: 2000 DEF looks too high for a card with a positive effect, plus most likely your opponent would have to invest a couple of cards (sunder effects, Equips on a Level 4, etc.) just to get over it.

Mahainfinsa

Looks like a solid boss. Accepting this one.

Uwar

As a Level6 is relatively easy to drop, and I'm not convinced by the Dragon search effect. I thought this format wanted to slightly move away from type searchers like this? Or at least lock it to Level4 or lower Dragons.

Supply Line

More or less another take on Supply Squad. ABC already dropped an analysis on this one and I must say that I agree with most of his arguments. This card feels too "high risk, high reward": either it is removed early and you are punished hard, or it somehow stays on the field for a couple of turns and nets you advantage. If it's too risky to be played, then why include it in this format at all? I would rather import "Shard of Greed" from the TCG.

Generous Double Summon

I like this one. Grants easier access to your bigger monsters, but at a cost. In a way, it is a Mausoleum that trades 1000 LP with 1 an opponent's card draw, and has only 1 use. Accepting it.

Great Nest Mother

From the name I thought this was going to be an Insect -Type boss. Anyways, it looks really fun and interactive with the Position and ATK/DEF chnages going on, and I can't think of ways for abusing it right now, so Accepting it. I would like to see what this card is capable of doing.

By the way, I suggest to change the Token's name to "Dragon Egg" or something so it feels less generic.

@Servant's Retribution: I'd actually forgotten about AAU entirely, but this card's downsides are very different: no battle phase, no draws for the turn, and a draw for your opponent unless you're just getting some material/fodder (you'd rarely want to get a L4 for its body, since you're skipping the BP, although sometimes it might be a neat way to get an effect). I prefer this card, but I'd actually be happy to just port AAU over if people think its better.

@Underhandedness: This is intended to be a quite powerful generic card. It basically transforms into a different card based on how the next turn or two plays out, and in many both players get to play with how that turns out, making a lot of real choices on when it's worth activating this, and when it's worth protecting something so this doesn't nab it. I like the situations it creates, so I want it to be something worth considering in most Decks. Although if people agree it's too strong I'd be happy for it to either cost LP or give your opponent LP (I think a card advantage thing would be too crippling). Any idea on that?

@Devouring Dragon

1400/1200
Once per turn, you can send 1 Card you control to the Graveyard; this card gains 800 ATK & DEF.

Changed to sending to Grave, not sure why I decided tribute made more sense before.

@Supply Line

Sounds like I could have underestimated this card based on the two bits of feedback I got so far; I think it'd be less risky in this than the TCG to use the contin. version since you aren't against MSTs. I like the concept of a Supply-Line theme card for Warriors, though, does anyone have a fix?

@Great Nest

Fixed the flavour a little, mechanically identical:

Great Nest-Drake, The Egg Guardian

FIRE/Dragon/Effect/Level 8
2400/3500
When this card is Summoned, Summon 2 "Dragon Egg Token"s (Dragon-Type/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) or banish this Card. "Dragon Egg Token"s can only be removed from the field by your opponent's cards (by card effect or by battle) while this Card is face-up. "Dragon Egg Token"s cannot attack. When a "Dragon Egg Token" is attacked, change this Card to Defence Position and redirect the attack to this Card. When a Dragon Egg Token is removed from the field, this Card loses 800 DEF and gains 900 ATK.

Well, for Supply line, perhaps give it a more suitable ATK, remove the Cont. Spell gimmick, and draw a card each time you Normal and/or Tribute Summon a Warrior? That way, you would only gain access to its effect in pure-Warrior decks, further encouraging or rewarding the use of these decks.

Supply Line v2:

Card Suggestion:

Supply Force

EARTH/Warrior/Effect/Level 3

400 ATK/1600 DEF

You can Normal Summon this card in Defense Position. When you Summon another Warrior, draw a card - you can only activate this effect of 'Supply Force' once per turn. If this card is destroyed as a result of battle, skip your next Draw Phase.

It's now Warrior-specific which it should have been to start with since that was the thematics. It can draw the turn its summoned, and can be NS'd in face-up Def. It doesn't have the Cont. Spell thing but now it's possible to skip your DP when using it as a monster (but only if destroyed by battle).

Uwar, Mother of Dragons - Accept

Mahaifinsa, Father of Dragons Accept

Generous Double Summon - Accept

Great Nest-Mother, the Egg Guardian -

Is the "Change to Def" effect mandatory? I believe the only practical way of getting rid of this is by card effect, since attacking the tokens is risky and you punch against a 3500 DEF wall first, then get retaliated by a 3300 or 4200 ATK mon. Still, it seems OK because it starts out with only 2400 and the opponent usually knows what they're getting into. Accept

Supply Line v2 - Accept

Quickdraw Shield - Accept! awesome!

Double Red Light - This card needs some discretion between negating a monster that'll activate in the graveyard (like Fire/Ice Hand). But I have no problem with it negating a "bad" effect. It's a situational and not very potent combo, and no one runs Goblin Attack Force or the like anyways.

Something like this:

When a monster effect is activated, target 1 monster your opponent controls: Negate the effects of 1 monster you control (on the field or in the Graveyard), and if you do, negate the effects of the targeted monster until the end of your next turn.

Conduit Mage - Accept

Servant's Retribution - Just say "you cannot conduct your Battle Phase this turn" I think that's what you meant. But with that I think it's fine. Accept

Undertaker's Underhandness - This card is powerful, but risky. Sure you can steal a good opponent's card, but then again, you could've just put THAT card in your deck instead of this one. It's a trade-off of flexibility vs reliability. Local Hurricane with this is cool but still risky. I say give it a chance. Accept

Changes to my cards (and replies)

Reiki Warrior
Pyro | FIRE | Level 4
When a monster you control attacks, gain 600 Life Points. When a monster your opponent controls attacks, inflict 500 damage.
[ 1700 / 1600 ]

Back by popular demand, the monster version. Higher stats.

Howling Wind Imp

Fiend | WIND | Level 4

Once per turn: You can target 1 Spell or Trap card on the field; Return it to the owner's hand. If you control no Spell/Trap cards, excluding Field Spell cards, this card gains 400 ATK.

[ 1700 / 1300 ]

@ Griffin, Voltex - Maybe you're thinking of Giant Trunade? This one can't cause OTK's anywhere near the reliability of that card.

Yes, you could bounce binding cards like CoTH, but I thought it might be a fun mechanic. Plus, we could just choose which cards are acceptable to bounce, with "When this card is destroyed, destroy that monster" V.S. "When this card is removed from the field, destroy that monster".

Aflatoxin
Equip Spell Card
When this card is equipped to a monster, and during each Standby Phase, Sunder the equipped monster by 400. When the equipped monster is removed from the field or used as Xyz Material, and this card is sent to the Graveyard, during the End Phase: You can equip this card to a face-up monster.

That's all the buffs I want to give to Aflatoxin, it seems powerful enough.

Squirrel Barracks

Beast | WIND | Level 2

You cannot Special Summon more than 2 "Squirrel Barracks" per turn. If your opponent controls more monsters than you: You can Special Summon 1 "Squirrel Barracks" from your Hand/Deck/Graveyard. That monster cannot be used as Xyz material, and if Summoned from the Graveyard, it cannot be tributed or used in the Special Summon of a monster.

[ 1000 / 0 ]

@ Voltex - I dislike Deck only, because of dead draws. So, presenting the new version - You can do hand/deck, and Grave, but you can't use it in a Synchro Summon, Tribute Summon or for any loops (like Mass Driver)

Yunus, Wrathful Creation

Fish | FIRE | Level 4

If this card is in your Hand or on the Field: You can place it face-up as a Continuous Spell card. When your opponent's monster attacks: You can Special Summon this card as a Continuous Spell card, and redirect the attack to this monster.

[ 1400 / 1800 ]

[spoiler=seattleite]

Edits to my card:

Card Suggestion (edit from Reiki Warrior):

Reiki Channeling

Continuous Spell Card

When a monster you control attacks, gain 400 Life Points. When a monster your opponent controls attacks, inflict 300 damage.

new Card Suggestion

Howling Wind Imp

Fiend | WIND | Level 4

Once per turn: You can target 1 Spell or Trap card on the field; Return it to the owner's hand. If you control no Spell/Trap cards, excluding Field Spell cards, this card gains 400 ATK.

[ 1700 / 1300 ]

new Card Suggestion

Squirrel Barracks

Beast | WIND | Level 2

Up to twice per turn, If your opponent controls more monsters than you: You can Special Summon 1 "Squirrel Barracks" from your Hand, Deck or Graveyard. The summoned monster cannot be used as Xyz material.

[ 1000 / 0 ]

new Card Suggestion

Yunus, Wrathful Creation

Fish | FIRE | Level 4

If this card is in your Hand or on the Field: You can place it face-up as a Continuous Spell card. When your opponent's monster attacks: You can Special Summon this card as a Continuous Spell card, and redirect the attack to this monster.

[ 1400 / 2000 ]

[/spoiler]

Silhouette
If you think that's best, alright ^^"

Aflatoxin:
Yeah I'm satisfied with that change more. Though I'll wait a little bit. Basically, I'm gonna quote all the suggestions I see in the page so until I get to Griffin's post to refresh my memory.

Reiki Warrior:

Huh, somehow I didn't notice that. My bad.

Though it still seems to lack a place (well obviously since Pyro-Type monsters or heal/burn strategies haven't really been introduced here).

Reiki Channeler is more plausible. I'm willing to Accept it.

Howling Wind Imp:

I don't think "on the field" is the best for it. If it was only opponent's cards, or had a loading time mechanic (like Counters), but effects can be too easily recycled with it. IRL there are Call of the Haunted, Tenki, Swords of Revealing Light, Premature Burial, Snatch Steal, etc. Now we don't have any of those in here but it can still pretty easily leave way to some abuse as is. On top of already being a fantastic beater. It just seems a bit too good right now.

Squirrel Barracks:

It is as swarm-able as the opponent can get. I don't really like the "no Xyz" part of it, but otherwise I like it. Also lolSquirrel, it is probably inspired in the momonga family. As is I think it is Acceptable. Whatever could loop with it also needs to be kept on check, and this card would probably need a clause that banishes monsters when they leave the field after being Summoned this way just to make sure.

Yunus, Wrathful Creation:

Attacking is such a big thing here that you essentially are Special Summoning a 2k DEF and saving a monster you control. Also you don't "Special Summon" as a Continuous Spell Card. You can just "Special Summon it from your Spell & Trap Zone" and you can also keep a clause of "it is also still a Spell Card", which would be very akin to Trap Monsters. There is also that it can just go back to the S/T Zone in your turn to set up for next protection. It is essentially a more killable Scrap Iron Scarecrow but that can be used for other Summons and such. I'm not sure how acceptable Scrap Iron Scarecrow is in a meta that doesn't want to have too much easy removal or too much swarming.

The idea is nice but it'd probably need waaaay lower stats and probably even be Level 1 or 2 just to make it less of an easy use (and because we need more monsters of those Levels).

[spoiler=Griffin]

Edits to my card:

Card Suggestion (edit from Reiki Warrior):

Reiki Channeling

Continuous Spell Card

When a monster you control attacks, gain 400 Life Points. When a monster your opponent controls attacks, inflict 300 damage.

I'm actually on the other side of the fence in that I preferred it with a body: this card just feels underwhelming and not too interesting to see on the field.

[/spoiler]

Wouldn't that make it so that you either protect it as the focus in a way your opponent is still encouraged to make attacks, or be a one-time use? Seems really not worth it in monster form to me, personally.

[spoiler=DivineDragonKnight]

I really like this idea, so i try with these 2 cards.

Card Suggestion (#22) or (#73-76)

Mahaifinsa, Father of Dragons

Level 8 | [LIGHT/Dragon/Effect]
ATK/3000 DEF/2000

When this card is Special Summoned, its DEF becomes 0. If 1, or more Dragon-Type monster would be destroyed by a card effect, you can sunder this card by 1000: negate that effect. If this card is destroyed by its own effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Uwar, Mother of Dragons" from your Graveyard in face-up Defense position.

Card suggestion (#23) or (#73-76)

Uwar, Mother of Dragons

Level 6 | [LIGHT/Dragon/Effect]
ATK/2300 DEF/2800

When this card is Tribute Summoned: You can add 1 Dragon-Type monster from you deck to your hand. This card can be treated as 2 Tributes for the Tribute Summon of a Dragon-Type monster.

[/spoiler]

Your first card seemed good until you named a specific card. That is not particularly a bad thing but we are working on a base right now so we want things to be somewhat generic. So I like the idea except for that effect at the end. It is still an acceptable card overall to me. Just gotta read the Mother.

The idea of card #2 is interesting but the monster has waaaaaay too much DEF. The ATK stat is already solid enough and we are trying to not have them good in both sides. At least for now. 

I'd accept the Father but the Mother's stats influence my decision for both because of what it can Summon.

[spoiler=Griffin]

These aren't how I imagined Dragons going, but they look solid regardless. I'd be happy to Accept both on grounds of filling out the set and seeing no real problems with them. Not the biggest fan of calling out specific cards in effects, but since it's just a pair instead of an archtype or such and it could still be playable without each other, I'm okay with it.

More Card Suggestion:

Supply Line
EARTH/Warrior/Effect/Level 3
0/1700
You can activate this Card as a Continuous Spell Card. While this Card is face-up on the Field as a Monster or Continuous Spell Card, you draw 2 Cards during each of your Draw Phases instead of 1. If this card is destroyed while it was treated as a Continuous Spell Card, skip your next Draw Phase.

Every army needs a supply line, but you'd better hope the enemy doesn't break it! note: Multiple of these will not stack, because they make you draw 2 instead of adding 1.

And one more Card Suggestion:

Generous Double Summon
Normal Spell
Normal Summon 1 Monster from your hand. If it is a Tribute Summon, you can ignore any number of tributes. For each tribute you ignore, your opponent draws 1 card. You cannot ignore specific or restricted tributes (e.g., "1 Warrior-Type Monster"). You can only activate 1 "Generous Double Summon" per turn.

Could be fun to see some decks focusing on the big main-deck Monsters of the set, sacrificing card advantage and deck slots for a better ability to throw out those hard-to-remove brawlers. This is one way to enable that. What better to go with it than another big monster? Like the a Card Suggestion for for a high-level dragon.

Great Nest-Mother, The Egg Guardian
FIRE/Dragon/Effect/Level 8
2400/3500
When this card is Summoned, Summon 2 "Egg Token"s (Dragon-Type/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) or banish this Card. "Egg Token"s can only be removed from the field by your opponent's cards (by card effect or by battle) while this Card is face-up. "Egg Token"s cannot attack. When an "Egg Token" is attacked, change this Card to Defence Position and redirect the attack to this Card. When an Egg Token is removed from the field, this Card loses 800 DEF and gains 900 ATK. 

Big wall that can punch decently - if your opponent AoEs, becomes a 4200 ATK beater, but suddenly only a 1900 DEF wall, and they might have already forced it into Defense Position! 'can only be removed from the field by your opponent's cards' means you cannot tribute them, use them as Synchro Material, or Fusion Material, they're tokens so you can't use them for XYZ, and your own card effects can't destroy them either.

[/spoiler]

Supply Line:
Sounds pretty cool to me, though Seattleite's Imp card sounds like the perfect balancer for this card's Spell effect. 

I think it'd be better if it had a limit to its uses. S/T are hard to take care of here and you'll mostly always stay drawing 2 cards per turn for the rest of the game. Maybe something like accumulating counters of some sort after every use and then self-destroying after a fixed amount like 3 or 4 (tops). Otherwise it just is much more rewarding than monster form using up a Summon for it and having it sit and survive until you can do it.

Generous Double Summon:
Accept. Perfect as is IMO.

Great Nest Mother the Egg Guardian:

Accept. Sounds fun to play.

[spoiler=Griffin]

Recap of cards on the first page that haven't been accepted yet, as far as I can tell this is the most recent version of each:

Quickdraw Shield

Equip Spell
Increase the DEF of the equipped Card by 500. When the equipped Card battles, you can change it to Defence Position before damage calculation. While this Card is in the Graveyard, during either player's turn you can banish 1 Card from your hand to equip this Card to a Monster you control. If you do, banish this Card when it is removed from the field.

Ruling: When your opponent declares an attack on a Monster you control, you can equip this card from your Graveyard in response and still change the battle position of the card before damage calculation. 

Double Red Light!
Trap Card
When a monster effect is activated, target 1 monster your opponent controls: Negate the effects of 1 monster you control, and if you do, negate the effects of the targeted monster until the end of your next turn.

Conduit Mage
FIRE/Spellcaster/Effect/Level 3
800/1500
Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell Card resolves. During your Main Phase or when this card is declared as an attack target, you can remove all Spell Counters from this card and target a face-up Monster. Sunder the target by 400 for each Spell Counter removed.

Aflatoxin
Equip Spell Card
During each Standby Phase, Sunder the equipped monster by 400. When the equipped monster is removed from the field or used as Xyz Material, and this card is sent to the Graveyard, during the End Phase: You can equip this card to a face-up monster.

Reiki Warrior
Pyro | FIRE | Level 4
When a monster you control attacks, gain 300 Life Points. When a monster your opponent controls attacks, inflict 300 damage.
[ 1600 / 1600 ]

Servant's Retribution
Normal Spell 
Special Summon 1 Monster in your opponent's Graveyard. Skip this turn's Battle Phase. You cannot draw cards for the rest of this turn. If the Monster is not level 4 or lower, your opponent draws a card.

Normal Spell
The next time a card would be destroyed and sent to your opponent's Graveyard before the End Phase of your next turn, add it to your hand instead.

Devouring Dragon
1400/1200
Once per turn, you can tribute 1 Card you control; this card gains 800 ATK & DEF.

Note: This lets you tribute spell/traps, although I don't think that interacts with anything at the moment.

[/spoiler]

You missed one of mine:

Card Suggestion:

Morphing Mantle

[Equip Spell]

When equipped to a monster: Declare 1 monster Type; the equipped monster is also treated as the declared Type and it gains 2 Levels. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; It gains 1 Level.

Because you know, Xyzs are a thing and so is Type-specific support. We are supporting 3 Types here (majorly) and a couple small pushes for some (like Insects) are also being made even if for future sets.

as for the others.

Quickdraw Shield:
I had already Accepted this one and I still do. I think it has some interesting uses.

Double Red Light:
It kinda sounds like it could be interpreted in two ways:

-Your monster is permanently negated and the target only is negated until your next turn.

-Both are negated until next turn.

This last one is probably it, but I think the "next turn" part needs to be in a different sentence referring to "these changes last until" just to make it safe.

Also it needs to make sure players won't try to use it on their own monster that has no effects anyways by saying "Effect Monster you control" there.

I'm personally fine with it otherwise, and would also be fine if it permanently negated your own card on top of it. I technically accept but wording issues... so not big bold "accept" word yet.

Contuit Mage:

After getting a bit more of a cardpool now, I think it goes more or less with the power level and Spells aren't as spammy as Spellbooks are IRL so it is alright to me. Accept.

Aflatoxin:

Because it is an infinite Spell, it is a little problematic, but remembering "Set" being a thing and Book of Moon being at 3, I think we have our counter. Accept. We'll see how it goes xD

Reiki Warrior:
I've already talked about this one here in this post, but I'm not ignoring it because I just got an idea:
What if the Spell Card idea instead gives a certain Type/Attribute/Level/Kind/ATK-DEF range/etc of monster that effect? While said monster + this card are both face-up. Then the Spell can only do it a certain amount of times (like on up to 3 uses, with up to 1 with this effect face-up at a time). That way it is a sort of compromise between the monster version and the Spell version... Yes? No?...

Servant's Retribution:
Accept. Looks better.

Undertaker's Underhandedness:
Accept. Same reason as the above card.

Devouring Dragon:

Well the boost is permanent so there's that. I think it should be a "once while face-up on the field" deal because it runs away from Sunder too effectively and is better than some of the Tribute Monsters we have so far. Or if anything, a "if you do, this effect cannot be used during your next turn" clause.

Those are all the post I currently see in the page from when I started writing. I know Seattleite made another one and I'll get to it but it is a pain to manage such a long post xD
Also, I agree with details like the "Tribute" being changes for "send" in Devouring Dragon.

Thank you for the suggestions. I made a little correction for both monsters:

ATK/3000 DEF/2000

When this card is Special Summoned, its DEF becomes 0. If 1, or more Dragon-Type monster would be destroyed by a card effect, you can sunder this card by 1000: negate that effect. If this card is destroyed by its own effect: You can Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type monster with 2000 or less ATK from your Graveyard in face-up Defense position.

(Last effect made generic.)

Uwar, Mother of Dragons

ATK/2000 DEF/2300

When this card is Tribute Summoned: You can add 1 Level 7 or higher Dragon-Type monster from your deck to your hand. This card can be treated as 2 Tributes for the Tribute Summon of a Dragon-Type monster.

(Must be somewhat good in both stats, because its mainly a defensive monster, but must stay 1 turn in the field to use its effects. Decreased both stats, also, just searches monsters, that can use out its ability.)

@Great Nest:
"Is the "Change to Def" effect mandatory? I believe the only practical way of getting rid of this is by card effect, since attacking the tokens is risky and you punch against a 3500 DEF wall first, then get retaliated by a 3300 or 4200 ATK mon. Still, it seems OK because it starts out with only 2400 and the opponent usually knows what they're getting into. Accept"
Yes, it is mandatory. If you remove an egg, then attack, she'll be at 2700. If you then remove the second egg, she'll still be in Defense Position with 1900 DEF.

@Reiki Warrior
Accepting this one, I was happy before and I think the new stat line is still worth bringing into the test.

@Howling Wind Imp

Trunade is the pinnacle of returning S/Ts to hand leading to OTKs, but even for weaker cards clearing the way for super-pushes will be their main use. It's basically 'reduce how much your opponent can interact this turn'. I just don't find the concept healthy in general unless there's some specific reasoning behind it.

@Squirrel Barracks

This is still potentially a very powerful engine, but the fact that the 2/turn summon clause applies even if Special'd other ways makes me think it's safe enough to give a try. Accepting and seeing how it goes. If the engine is actually broke, we can tweak it.

On which note:

What are people's thoughts, in general, on changing cards after they're "released". My current plan is that we change cards which are in the newest set as they need it, since lots of balance nuance will slip by when they haven't actually been played, but cards from older sets that are suddenly seeing major play we try not to change, and design around for a bit to see how the meta can adapt to it. Although we still take changing these cards before bringing in a banlist since sometimes an old card will really be messing things up.

@Yunus

1800 DEF seems a lot more fair. I'm willing to Accept this one in for testing.

@Mantle

My bad, yep, I forgot that one. I still feel it's a bit weak. I'm not opposed to seeing it in the set but I'm hesitant to put it in. That said, it's not like some Pot of Generosity, Konami-style pack filler and might find some actual use, so I say Accept it and leave it to players to try and make it worth a slot. I expect the worse that happens is it sits taking up a spot on search results.

@Devouring Dragon

Yes, it can grow, but it will always keep its low level that lets quite a bit of removal (Crush, notably) work on it, and it's not really absurd attack until you've fed it 3 cards, when it still doesn't have any further effect or self-protection. If anything, I feel if this card is broken then the format is simply too slow and removal too weak. We want a fairly slow and removal-lite format, but I don't think we want it so much this is over the top.

That said: Great Nest-Drake, Mahainfinsa, Uwar, Generous Double, Supply Force, Quickdraw Shield, Conduit Mage, Servant's Retribution, Undertaker's Underhandedness, are all poised to make it in, I believe. I'll leave until I wake up tomorrow to add them to the set, in case anyone feels strongly enough to put a Reject up for one of them, and also because I'm too tried to do it right now. 

Happy New Year! May it bring a great format!

New version of my card:

Double Red Light!
Trap Card
When a monster effect is activated, target 1 monster your opponent controls: Negate the effects of 1 Effect Monster you control, and if you do, negate the effects of the targeted monster. These changes last until the end of your next turn.

Is it better now?

Card Suggestion

Reverse Void
Spell Card
Each player shuffles their banished monsters (monsters or cards? I'm not sure.) into their Deck (min. 1), then each player draws 1 card.

The card sheet's been updated, we're making good progress. 

Card Suggestion:

Living Fossil of Power

EARTH/Dinosaur/Effect/Level 5

2200/800

If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard; while this card is in the Graveyard, your Monsters gain 100 ATK.

[spoiler=seattleite]

Uwar, Mother of Dragons - Accept

Mahaifinsa, Father of Dragons Accept

Generous Double Summon - Accept

Great Nest-Mother, the Egg Guardian -

Is the "Change to Def" effect mandatory? I believe the only practical way of getting rid of this is by card effect, since attacking the tokens is risky and you punch against a 3500 DEF wall first, then get retaliated by a 3300 or 4200 ATK mon. Still, it seems OK because it starts out with only 2400 and the opponent usually knows what they're getting into. Accept

Supply Line v2 - Accept

Quickdraw Shield - Accept! awesome!

Double Red Light - This card needs some discretion between negating a monster that'll activate in the graveyard (like Fire/Ice Hand). But I have no problem with it negating a "bad" effect. It's a situational and not very potent combo, and no one runs Goblin Attack Force or the like anyways.

Something like this:

When a monster effect is activated, target 1 monster your opponent controls: Negate the effects of 1 monster you control (on the field or in the Graveyard), and if you do, negate the effects of the targeted monster until the end of your next turn.

Conduit Mage - Accept

Servant's Retribution - Just say "you cannot conduct your Battle Phase this turn" I think that's what you meant. But with that I think it's fine. Accept

Undertaker's Underhandness - This card is powerful, but risky. Sure you can steal a good opponent's card, but then again, you could've just put THAT card in your deck instead of this one. It's a trade-off of flexibility vs reliability. Local Hurricane with this is cool but still risky. I say give it a chance. Accept

Changes to my cards (and replies)

Reiki Warrior
Pyro | FIRE | Level 4
When a monster you control attacks, gain 600 Life Points. When a monster your opponent controls attacks, inflict 500 damage.
[ 1700 / 1600 ]

Back by popular demand, the monster version. Higher stats.

Howling Wind Imp

Fiend | WIND | Level 4

[ 1700 / 1300 ]

@ Griffin, Voltex - Maybe you're thinking of Giant Trunade? This one can't cause OTK's anywhere near the reliability of that card.

Yes, you could bounce binding cards like CoTH, but I thought it might be a fun mechanic. Plus, we could just choose which cards are acceptable to bounce, with "When this card is destroyed, destroy that monster" V.S. "When this card is removed from the field, destroy that monster".

Aflatoxin
Equip Spell Card
When this card is equipped to a monster, and during each Standby Phase, Sunder the equipped monster by 400. When the equipped monster is removed from the field or used as Xyz Material, and this card is sent to the Graveyard, during the End Phase: You can equip this card to a face-up monster.

That's all the buffs I want to give to Aflatoxin, it seems powerful enough.

Squirrel Barracks

Beast | WIND | Level 2

You cannot Special Summon more than 2 "Squirrel Barracks" per turn. If your opponent controls more monsters than you: You can Special Summon 1 "Squirrel Barracks" from your Hand/Deck/Graveyard. That monster cannot be used as Xyz material, and if Summoned from the Graveyard, it cannot be tributed or used in the Special Summon of a monster.

[ 1000 / 0 ]

@ Voltex - I dislike Deck only, because of dead draws. So, presenting the new version - You can do hand/deck, and Grave, but you can't use it in a Synchro Summon, Tribute Summon or for any loops (like Mass Driver)

Yunus, Wrathful Creation

Fish | FIRE | Level 4

[ 1400 / 1800 ]

[/spoiler]

Reiki Warrior:
Stats make it a bit more worthwhile to me. Willing to Accept it.

Howling Wind Imp:

You can only use the effect of "Howling Wind Imp" once per turn and if you do, it cannot attack this turn."

Would sound fair enough? It'd be able to still bounce/recycle anything, and its Summon out to the field is easily controllable and extra when we have that Trap that Normal Summons a Fiend-Type from the Deck. Also no combos of "revive > use > Summon another > use > use them up > something else re-Summons 1 > use" kind of combos. That's what Harpy Dancer + that Mist Valley Field Spell were about.

To be fair,it should probably either be your opponent's cards or your own, otherwise it is a little more versatile than it should.

Aflatoxin:

Accept.

Squirrel Barracks:
I think the first line you added is all they needed. The "all Summon use" restriction almost makes them almost useless. I think that should be a temporary restriction (like until your next turn or something). Otherwise I think they are fine.

Thank you for the suggestions. I made a little correction for both monsters:

ATK/3000 DEF/2000

When this card is Special Summoned, its DEF becomes 0. If 1, or more Dragon-Type monster would be destroyed by a card effect, you can sunder this card by 1000: negate that effect. If this card is destroyed by its own effect: You can Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type monster with 2000 or less ATK from your Graveyard in face-up Defense position.

(Last effect made generic.)

Uwar, Mother of Dragons

ATK/2000 DEF/2300

When this card is Tribute Summoned: You can add 1 Level 7 or higher Dragon-Type monster from your deck to your hand. This card can be treated as 2 Tributes for the Tribute Summon of a Dragon-Type monster.

(Must be somewhat good in both stats, because its mainly a defensive monster, but must stay 1 turn in the field to use its effects. Decreased both stats, also, just searches monsters, that can use out its ability.)

[/spoiler]

Accept both.

[spoiler=JamesMuddy]

New version of my card:

Double Red Light!
Trap Card
When a monster effect is activated, target 1 monster your opponent controls: Negate the effects of 1 Effect Monster you control, and if you do, negate the effects of the targeted monster. These changes last until the end of your next turn.

Is it better now?

Card Suggestion

Reverse Void
Spell Card
Each player shuffles their banished monsters (monsters or cards? I'm not sure.) into their Deck (min. 1), then each player draws 1 card.

[/spoiler]

I like them. Accept from me.

[spoiler=Griffin]

The card sheet's been updated, we're making good progress. 

Card Suggestion:

Living Fossil of Power

2200/800

If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard; while this card is in the Graveyard, your Monsters gain 100 ATK.

[/spoiler]

Sounds a bit insignificant, but it also sounds like a perpetual boost like that could be dangerous if it was more.

What do you think of something along the lines of dinosaurs gaining 300 or so on top of that when they are attacking during damage calculation only? That'd max out on 1200 if it stacks enough of them.

Card Suggestion (#39)

Starlight

Field Spell Card

All LIGHT monsters gain 100 ATK multiplied by its Level or Rank.

Card Suggestion (#46)

Re-FLIP

Quick-Play Spell Card

Target 1 face-up Flip Monster You control: Activate its Filp effect. During the End Phase: destroy that card.

[/spoiler]

I Accept Re-FLIP. I think it should have a ! sign at the end of the name x

OPT clause is probably needed on either Magician of Faith or this card. Otherwise we could never allow Spell Counters and other things to exist xD

Happy New Year to all~

Gotta do something else real quick. I'll come back to quote the rest~

v2

Living Fossil of Power
2100/800
If this Card is sent from the field to the Graveyard; while this card is in the Graveyard, your Monsters gain 100 ATK and when a Dinosaur you control attacks it gains 200 ATK until the end of damage calculation.

Living Fossil of Knowledge

WATER/Dinosaur/Effect/Level 2

400/1300

If this Card is sent from the field to the Graveyard; while this card is in the Graveyard, once per turn, during your Draw Phase, if you draw a Spell Card or a Dinosaur, you can reveal it and shuffle it back into your Deck, then draw a Card.

Wording note: Something I've done here and a few other places is using, for example, 'Dinosaur' instead of 'Dinosaur-Type Monster,' it's shorter and I don't think it adds any confusion. Do people like that wording, or should we stick to the original long-form?

[spoiler=Quotes]

New version of my card:

Double Red Light!
Trap Card

Is it better now?

Card Suggestion

Reverse Void
Spell Card

Card Suggestion (#39)

Starlight

Field Spell Card

Card Suggestion (#46)

Re-FLIP

Quick-Play Spell Card

Target 1 face-up Flip Monster You control: Activate its Filp effect. During the End Phase: destroy that card.

[spoiler=seattleite]

[/spoiler]

Reiki Warrior:
Stats make it a bit more worthwhile to me. Willing to Accept it.

Howling Wind Imp:

You can only use the effect of "Howling Wind Imp" once per turn and if you do, it cannot attack this turn."

Would sound fair enough? It'd be able to still bounce/recycle anything, and its Summon out to the field is easily controllable and extra when we have that Trap that Normal Summons a Fiend-Type from the Deck. Also no combos of "revive > use > Summon another > use > use them up > something else re-Summons 1 > use" kind of combos. That's what Harpy Dancer + that Mist Valley Field Spell were about.

To be fair,it should probably either be your opponent's cards or your own, otherwise it is a little more versatile than it should.

Aflatoxin:

Accept.

Squirrel Barracks:
I think the first line you added is all they needed. The "all Summon use" restriction almost makes them almost useless. I think that should be a temporary restriction (like until your next turn or something). Otherwise I think they are fine.

[/spoiler]

Accept both.

[spoiler=JamesMuddy]

[/spoiler]

I like them. Accept from me.

[spoiler=Griffin]

[/spoiler]

Sounds a bit insignificant, but it also sounds like a perpetual boost like that could be dangerous if it was more.

What do you think of something along the lines of dinosaurs gaining 300 or so on top of that when they are attacking during damage calculation only? That'd max out on 1200 if it stacks enough of them.

[/spoiler]

I Accept Re-FLIP. I think it should have a ! sign at the end of the name x

Happy New Year to all~

Gotta do something else real quick. I'll come back to quote the rest~

v2

Living Fossil of Power
2100/800
If this Card is sent from the field to the Graveyard; while this card is in the Graveyard, your Monsters gain 100 ATK and when a Dinosaur you control attacks it gains 200 ATK until the end of damage calculation.

400/1300

If this Card is sent from the field to the Graveyard; while this card is in the Graveyard, once per turn, during your Draw Phase, if you draw a Spell Card or a Dinosaur, you can reveal it and shuffle it back into your Deck, then draw a Card.

Wording note: Something I've done here and a few other places is using, for example, 'Dinosaur' instead of 'Dinosaur-Type Monster,' it's shorter and I don't think it adds any confusion. Do people like that wording, or should we stick to the original long-form?

[/spoiler]

@ JamesMuddy-

I was under the impression that you can't negate normal monster's effects anyway... oh well. I guess it should be tested first. Accept

Accept the other one too.

@ DivineDragonKnight

Starlight is fine, but pretty bland... I'd like to see another effect? :)

Accept the other one.

@ Sleepy -

I got Griffin saying Squirrel Barracks is potentially OP'd and you saying it's potentially UP'd :P I think it's best to just submit it now, then I'll test it and remove the other restrictions if it needs it, promise :)

@ Griffin

Accept both. Looks fun.

Card Suggestion (inspired  by Conduit Mage)

Whirlpool Mouth

Aqua | WATER | Level 4

During each of your End Phases: Place 1 "Whirlpool" counter on this card. When a monster is Summoned: You can remove any number of Whirlpool counters from your side of the field; Sunder it by 400 for each.

[ 1200 / 600 ]

#43 Card Suggestion

Cosmic Sage

Level 3/LIGHT/Spellcaster/Flip/Effect

ATK/DEF: 600/1300

FLIP: Target 1 monster card your opponent controls; flip that card face down. While this card is on the field, that card cannot be tributed or flipped face up.

#28 Card Suggestion

Dragon Descent

TRAP

Activate only if a Level 6 or lower Dragon-type monster is targeted by an effect: Shuffle that card to the deck and Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type Monster that has the same attribute, level and different name as the shuffled card. 

#43 Card Suggestion
Cosmic Sage
FLIP: Target 1 monster card your opponent controls; flip that card face down. While this card is on the field, that card cannot be tributed or flipped face up.

#28 Card Suggestion
Dragon Descent
TRAP
Activate only if a Level 6 or lower Dragon-type monster is targeted by an effect: Shuffle that card to the deck and Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type Monster that has the same attribute and level as the shuffled card.

How much ATK / DEF does Cosmic Sage have? That will determine if it will be of any use.

For Dragon Descent, you might want it to SS a monster with a different name than the returned monster. It could be interesting.

v2

Living Fossil of Power
2100/800

400/1300

ACCEPTing both for now, although I suspect Fossil of Power could become an issue when Dinos get more support. Also, I'm fine with the suggested new wording on monster Types.

ACCEPTing both for now, although I suspect Fossil of Power could become an issue when Dinos get more support. Also, I'm fine with the suggested new wording on monster Types.

Giving attacking Dinos 900 ATK could indeed be an issue. Maybe if the second effect (Dino bonus) didn't stack?

Giving attacking Dinos 900 ATK could indeed be an issue. Maybe if the second effect (Dino bonus) didn't stack?

Personally, I would cut the generic +100 ATK bonus. That way it will become a monster that exclusively supports Dinos. By the way, I think that during-damage-calculation bonuses are a clever way for balancing ATK boosts: they are slightly weaker than a lingering boost because, for instance, it won't affect opposing sunder effects.

Card Suggestion (#39)

Starlight

Field Spell Card

Card Suggestion (#46)

Re-FLIP

Quick-Play Spell Card

Starlight feels a bit weak and doesn't do much interesting if it was stronger.

I'll have to bring out the format's first Reject for Re-FLIP since Magician of Faith is @3 in this format and that infinite combo needs fixing. I think the card would be fine to add once it's addressed, though. 

I got Griffin saying Squirrel Barracks is potentially OP'd and you saying it's potentially UP'd :P I think it's best to just submit it now, then I'll test it and remove the other restrictions if it needs it, promise :)

Bit of miss-reading, I'm actually with Sleepy here. I think the hard 2/turn clause is enough without making them useless for Summoning things. 

Card Suggestion (inspired  by Conduit Mage)

Whirlpool Mouth

Aqua | WATER | Level 4

During each of your End Phases: Place 1 "Whirlpool" counter on this card. When a monster is Summoned: You can remove any number of Whirlpool counters from your side of the field; Sunder it by 400 for each.

[ 1200 / 600 ]

Feels a bit weak. Considering there are many ways to play around this, I'd like to see it either near 1400 ATK to trade with 1800 level 4s, or 600 Sunder/counter to do the same. 

#43 Card Suggestion

Cosmic Sage

I don't like field clogging in general, but I feel this has enough ways to escape it and can't clog an entire field, so I'm going to Accept it.

#28 Card Suggestion

Dragon Descent

TRAP

Activate only if a Level 6 or lower Dragon-type monster is targeted by an effect: Shuffle that card to the deck and Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type Monster that has the same attribute, level and different name as the shuffled card. 

Seems fine to me, works with the big dragons we have so far. What happens if this targets a Dragon-Type Token, since we have those already? Can it even be used for them?

Personally, I would cut the generic +100 ATK bonus. That way it will become a monster that exclusively supports Dinos. By the way, I think that during-damage-calculation bonoses are a clever way for balancing ATK boosts: they are slightly weaker than a lingering boost because, for instance, it won't affect opposing sunder effects.

It's actually supposed to be a fun generic tech for making your beaters survive their beaters by 100/200 ATK, with a bonus for Dinos, rather than Dino support with a bonus for the rest of the Deck.

It's actually supposed to be a fun generic tech for making your beaters survive their beaters by 100/200 ATK, with a bonus for Dinos, rather than Dino support with a bonus for the rest of the Deck.

In that case, then perhaps a generic +100 boost and a damage-calculation +100 for Dinos? That way, as a generic tech your monsters gain +100, while Dinos would gain +200 for each copy.

v2

Living Fossil of Power
2100/800

400/1300

I personally l like both suggestions. I Accept both.

@ Sleepy -

Whirlpool Mouth

Aqua | WATER | Level 4

[ 1200 / 600 ]

.Err I just personally don't see the issue with the Squirrels.

Number one: This is not a strongly swarming format so the average is players might have 2 monsters out or something at most given times. 3 is the stretch of "I'm doing very well now". This means your monster depends on your opponent's state. If your opponent controls 1 or fewer this is useless. 

Number 2: The effect that allows you to Summon only twice per turn no matter what already stops loops, and as an extra precaution, I think, and not to offend anyone, we'd all be pretty stupid to allow a Mass Driver to exist in this game without a hard OPT clause, or any loop like that (aaaaand yeah I was about to let just that happen up there when I accepted Re-flip *facepalms*).

Sooo I don't understand why the sealing away from all forms of usage for Summon and even Tributing them for effects. That's taking away any potential applications they could have and just making them 1000 ATK meat shields. If it allowed even 1 form of Summon usage at the very least, I'd be fine with that.

I'd need to re-read what Griffin said about it....

Whirlpool Mouth sounds a bit weak having 1200 and only lowering 400 points, but it also sounds like it could work out if played right, and also it sounds like it'd get broken if boosted up more. I Accept it.

Forgive this second post right after, but I thought they were gonna merge....

#43 Card Suggestion

Cosmic Sage

#28 Card Suggestion

Dragon Descent

TRAP

Cosmic Sage:
I like that card. Accept.

Dragon Descent:

This one I'm not sure. I have no idea what is the intended direction of Dragons, and it sounds a bit too specific as it requires a Dragon of other similar stats on both ends of the effect.

I personally think they are fine. We are talking about a high Level monster that needs to go from the field to the Graveyard. 100 is an alright boost to me. It even really only works if the player is willing to take that time to invest in it.

Oh and a comment on your Dragon that gains ATK every turn sending something to the Graveyard (I cannot find the post to quote it for some reason):
Fair enough, it is good to know we are allowed SOME removal to exist other than just the essential a la "keep it until it is absolutely necessary" way.

If that is the case I Accept.

Archived