[Update/Fixes][Archetype] the "Cherodei" Spellcasters

Valkyrus

Well, you don't have to change anything at the moment as I suggested the nerfs as an alternative to Magus being nerfed in an attempt to reduce power level in another way. We can test the archetype further to see how it performs. The short answer is: I don't know how you want to change it, since it's your archetype, and the long answer is: you need to play around with the power budget of the entire deck and maybe even semi-rework the archetype to make the Magus nerf not hurt if you nerf it to nott search Reanimation, since it hurts a lot.

Or you could try nerfing the attack of Magus to 2300-2400 instead of anything here. I think that should help a lot in terms of power reduction and the ease of dealing with the monster. To be clear, in this case Magus would still be able to search Reanimation.

reducing Magus's ATK hurts the deck a lot though.
How about I make it 2500 ATK and no further changes?

Also, some written card changes:

decided to boost felex further:

While this card is in your Graveyard, you can activate 1 of the following effects:
* Banish this card; Special Summon 1 "Cherodei" monster from your hand.
* Send 1 face-up "Cherodei" Spell/Trap card you control to the Graveyard: Special Summon this card.

You can activate only 1 "Cherodei Felex" effect per turn and only once that turn.

cherodei shifter. (reworking)
level 2

800/800

When this card is Normal Summoned, you can: Add 1 level 4 or lower "Cherodei" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Once, during your Main Phase, you can: Move this face-up card to your Spell&Trap Card Zone. While this card is in your Spell& Trap Card Zone it is treated as a Continuous Spell Card with the following effect: Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can target 1 face-up monster on the field; switch that target's ATK and DEF until the End Phase.

Felex looks much more useful now and is generally a pretty solid card. Shifter should be Level 4, and the effect to switch ATK and DEF doesn't make much sense; I recommend a recycling effect instead - but it also looks very good now.

With these buffs, the monster lineup looks a lot better and Magus should be reverted to 2800 ATK but only be able to search Spells (so the nerf you proposed). In combination with that, you should make better Spells for Magus to search.

Could you hold off on actually changing them on DP until a bit later though, for the sake of the first tournament? They should look a lot better for the second one :)

Felex looks much more useful now and is generally a pretty solid card. Shifter should be Level 4, and the effect to switch ATK and DEF doesn't make much sense; I recommend a recycling effect instead - but it also looks very good now.

With these buffs, the monster lineup looks a lot better and Magus should be reverted to 2800 ATK but only be able to search Spells (so the nerf you proposed). In combination with that, you should make better Spells for Magus to search.

Could you hold off on actually changing them on DP until a bit later though, for the sake of the first tournament? They should look a lot better for the second one :)

Yeah I was afraid of making Shifter do too much as any card with an on-summon searching (a +1) I think should not be able to do much else. As for the ATK/DEF switch it actually can be very useful in getting over bigger monsters that Magus/Sepianoza can't get over. Also, it can make Felex into a 2100 ATK beatstick (not saying that would be a very smart move most of the time though). Still thinking about that Spell effect.

So you're saying Magus can be left at 2800 and same effect but with only a spell search? 
Also, what spells aren't good in your opinion? I think Seal is good (maybe I'll make it bring the monster back in the SP insteas of MP2 though) and if I search Archives I can use that to search for Reanimation (though that combo is a +0 instead of a +1). Explosion is the one spell I need to revise though, maybe completely rework. And I can make Spellsword (the Xyz) be a bit more offensive. I've focused on defense too much and relied on Magus/Sepianoza to do most of the work.

Oh, and alright, I'll wait until the tournament finishes. I actually tried to get on DP and update Sweeper and Reanimation but I couldn't get on all day.

Edit: how's this look?

LFbsx4v.jpg gf6c1o5.jpg

Teleport Seal is highly mediocre though, since although searching it isn't bad, it's not necessarily live when you draw it and isn't a solid card on its own merits. Archives literally does nothing by itself and it's not so good when you have more than 1 (although you can pitch Archives for its own effect I suppose). Explosion has questionable immediate board impact (it could, but it could also flunk).

Basically my point is that they don't pack much of an immediate punch. Aside from Explosion which is kinda unreliable. If you rework Explosion I think it would be fine though.

Making Shifter Level 4 wouldn't break it. The recycling effect would just be like ... shuffle a Cherodei card into the MD opt.

I think making a second Synchro is fine, but the ability to search Reanimation + the ability to negate a Spell OPT is far too strong. Not everything has to be a floater; Dark Witch could just do something that's good enough for a level 8 Synchro instead of having the Trap search line at all. The ability to have options in itself is a good option. I would definitely be careful with negation as an effect type, as it's one of the best in the game if it's a freebie.

EDIT: in fact, post-Felex buff I'm not sure if the deck even needs it. Scallich-Felex is now good enough to instant rank 4 (although not turn 1) so I would maybe just touch up the Xyz Monsters a little. The deck looks much more interesting to play because it has variable playstyles and isn't just locked into Magus -> Reanimation now.

Teleport Seal is highly mediocre though, since although searching it isn't bad, it's not necessarily live when you draw it and isn't a solid card on its own merits. Archives literally does nothing by itself and it's not so good when you have more than 1 (although you can pitch Archives for its own effect I suppose). Explosion has questionable immediate board impact (it could, but it could also flunk).

Basically my point is that they don't pack much of an immediate punch. Aside from Explosion which is kinda unreliable. If you rework Explosion I think it would be fine though.

Making Shifter Level 4 wouldn't break it. The recycling effect would just be like ... shuffle a Cherodei card into the MD opt.

I think making a second Synchro is fine, but the ability to search Reanimation + the ability to negate a Spell OPT is far too strong. Not everything has to be a floater; Dark Witch could just do something that's good enough for a level 8 Synchro instead of having the Trap search line at all. The ability to have options in itself is a good option. I would definitely be careful with negation as an effect type, as it's one of the best in the game if it's a freebie.

EDIT: in fact, post-Felex buff I'm not sure if the deck even needs it. Scallich-Felex is now good enough to instant rank 4 (although not turn 1) so I would maybe just touch up the Xyz Monsters a little. The deck looks much more interesting to play because it has variable playstyles and isn't just locked into Magus -> Reanimation now.

ideas for changes

spell equip
Target 1 "Cherodei" monster in your Spell/Trap card Zone: Special Summon that target and equip it with this card. When this card is sent to the Graveyard, 
except the turn it was activated in, you can: Shuffle up to 3 "Cherodei" monsters from your Graveyard into the Deck.

cherodei tempest: reworked (trap/continuous)
Once per turn, when a monster effect is activated, you can: Move 1 face-up Cherodei monster you control to your Spell/Trap Card Zone; negate that effect and shuffle that monster into the Deck.

Xyz:
2 level 4 Spellcaster-type monsters
Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Target a number of cards your opponent controls up to the number of face-up "Cherodei" Spell/Trap cards you control: Destroy those targets.
2300/1700

Xyz kill potential is too high. I recommend it kill only face-up cards instead.

Tempest really doesn't need changing too much - BtanH recommends the following tweak:

Counter Trap

When a S/T card or effect is activated: Send 1 face-up ("Cherodei"?) S/T you control to your Graveyard; negate the activation and effect, and if you do, destroy it.

Equip looks fine as a concept, although it should get rid of the monster somehow when the Equip dies... maybe return it to the S/T.

• 2 weeks later...

no prob. Is DP actually working now? Haven't been on for ages.

Also, just thought about Teleport seal and how I could make it any Cherodei monster and not only the level 8's and have it SS during the next Standby Phase instead of MP2. I think that will make it better.

no prob. Is DP actually working now? Haven't been on for ages.
Also, just thought about Teleport seal and how I could make it any Cherodei monster and not only the level 8's and have it SS during the next Standby Phase instead of MP2. I think that will make it better.

Unfortunately not, Sea has to rework the server cause as far as I know, the creator of the server didn't know what they were doing. That buff though for Teleport Seal should have happened a long time ago, so yeah. I still don't get how a faster Interdimensional Matter Transporter helps, but that is what would buff it

Unfortunately not, Sea has to rework the server cause as far as I know, the creator of the server didn't know what they were doing. That buff though for Teleport Seal should have happened a long time ago, so yeah. I still don't get how a faster Interdimensional Matter Transporter helps, but that is what would buff it

it helps by being able to save your Cherodei from practically any removal. Also, it resummons things like Sepianoza to reuse her effect (my main idea with this). Or Geist in rare cases. Yeah, the deck probably doesn't need it but i think it's a decent defensive tech.

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance we could get the original post updated to reflect the current versions?

It is updated. Except for Magus, which I'll update soon. Any other changes that are in the comments but not in the OP is because I haven't finalized them yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived