[Finished][SCS 10] Showcase 2015 [Not Accepting / Judging)

Yeah, I get where you're coming with this one.

Accepted.

Then again, I need to get familiar with Heraldics/how they play. (Hopefully 18 gets released in TCG soon, among other cards we need)

It's basically dump Leo: The Movie: The Deck.

With that in mind they are a Rank 4 Spam deck with Rank-up capability and revolve around using, and promptly re-using Graveyard resources.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allow me to judge.

Clarity - 20% (Can I immediately understand how your card is intended to work without need for rulings?)

Function - 50% (How well does it work? Points will be deducted for being too strong or too weak.)

Creativity - 20% (Are you attempting something novel, or is it something that we're seeing too frequently?)

OCG - 10% (Any deductions would mean there's mistakes that would impact how the card's text is interpreted.)

I'm going to grade OCG from the written text, so don't worry about re-rendering the card if it proves that much of a hassle.

On that note, might be easier to just let you all post entries/updates in that one post, so I don't have to keep editing the holding one every so often.

Technically though, you should've already designed it as a final product, but you can fix minor details.

[spoiler: The Card]

UsHUMeL.jpg

[spoiler: Lore]

As long as this card is on the field monsters cannot be removed from the field unless they are used as material for a Fusion, Synchro, Xyz or Ritual Summon. All battle damage excluding damage from direct attacks is reduced to 0. At the end of your opponents turn if you do not control 2 or more monsters that were summoned from the Extra Deck destroy this card. [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Ill join in on the fun if its not too late.

You still have time, so sure.

[spoiler: The Card]

UsHUMeL.jpg

[spoiler: Lore]

As long as this card is on the field monsters cannot be removed from the field unless they are used as material for a Fusion, Synchro, Xyz or Ritual Summon. All battle damage excluding damage from direct attacks is reduced to 0. At the end of your opponents turn if you do not control 2 or more monsters that were summoned from the Extra Deck destroy this card. [/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Alright, I'll add you.

Forgot to do it earlier.

Zbp3shp.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']This card cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. If you control an Effect Monster, send this card to the Graveyard. Normal Monsters you control are unaffected by monster effects. When a Spell, Trap, or Spell/Trap effect is activated: You can Tribute 1 Normal Monster you control; negate the activation, and if you do, you can destroy 1 card your opponent controls. You can only use this effect of "Fortitude of the Nobility" once per turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='About the card']Normal monsters have been at a huge disadvantage, even with the Pendulum support they have been getting lately. So, in order to incorporate them back into the game, I created a card that takes advantage of the said Pendulum mechanic and makes Normal Monsters more durable. But I think what really makes this card competitive is that it is a once per turn negation with the ability to stay on the field. Usually, I would think that kind of power would be too much, but because it benefits only Normal Monsters, whose decks are already very inconsistent, I decided it was okay.

As for flavor, Normal Monsters are what would be considered "pure monsters", or in other words, "pure blooded"; "nobility" perhaps. So as the "nobles" of the monster card type, I decided that my username fits in well with the card. And the name is, well, self-explanatory:

for·ti·tude
ˈfôrdəˌt(y)o͞od/
noun
courage in pain or adversity.

[/spoiler]

Here is my card.

79Zykfo.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']When this card is summoned: You can return up to 2 Monsters from either graveyard to the owners deck. You can only use the effect of "Oriannis, The E-XStatic" twice per turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='How it describes me']There are a couple of aspects about this card the resemble me in this card. Firstly, as you may have noticed the E-XStatic is a play on the word "ecstatic" which describes my mood/nature most of the time. Secondly I chose a machine type monster because i am very interested in technology. More over, I am interested in the weather, hence the card image i have chosen which mixes my two main interests into one picture. [/spoiler]

A neat little card for a archetype I've recently taken to. 

I'm in o/

Here's my card:

lKsKreO.jpg

Declare 1 monster card type (Normal, Ritual, Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Pendulum). Monsters with the declared monster card type cannot declare an attack. During each of your Standby Phases: You take 500 damage for each face-up monster with the declared monster card type on the field. When this card leaves the field: Return all monsters with the declared monster card type from the field to their owner's Deck.

The card's pic shows my love for cute things with an actual dark side. The effect has the ability to silence a part of your opponent's Deck, but you get hurt by using it. Its a kind of shared self harm. The last effect will make your opponent think about their choices better, because in a dark evil place, the last thing you're supposed to do is panic yourself.

So yea, its a card made to scare the opponent, theres only a way to stop this nightmare: stay calm and silent. (too much silent hill reference, oh well...)

As I see everyone else elaborating on how their card represents them, so I would just like to go on record stating that in addition to the sciences I am also a history buff, with particular interests to Medieval and Ancient Civilizations.  That's why I always thought Heraldics were so cool; because they represent an art form that not many people are aware of since it has all but died out, and they emulate it through their monsters wonderfully.

I more/less graded them earlier on in the week, but didn't have time to post them until now, so...yeah, your scores on my end.

I assume Gadjiltron is doing his also (because I did get his request to judge; even if not immediately)

STANDARD SCORE

B: 40

U: 20

C: 20

O: 15

T: 5

Total: 100

Jinx

B: 30

U: 17

C: 17

O: 10

Total: 79

Judas

B: 33 (I'm a bit iffy about this becoming a high Level Synchro enabler off the start; falls on the same lines as Super Polymerization; though the damage effect should be fine. Also encourages you not to Synchro that much before then)

U: 19

C: 19

Total: 91

Enguin

B: 32 (being immune to Exciton, Mirror Force, etc is nice though, but does require that you NS this first. Stats are low for a Level 6, but the effect makes up for it)

U: 18

C: 15

O: 14.5 (just a numeral/word agreement; I know you weren't using the PSCT thing since you discussed this with me earlier)

Total: 84.5

Tinkerer

B: 26 (it basically moves the Draw Phase to the end of the turn. The effect is a permanent Time Seal, although you DO draw later on. Also note that it is still a 2K beatstick that can be NSed for things)

U: 15 (used for some Beast decks and for screwing with Exodia or Decks that like to draw cards)

C: 9

O: 10

Total: 64

Cirrus

B: 35

C: 17 (effect reminds me of Future Visions, except on two monsters of your choosing and stuff)

Total: 91

The Progenitor

B: 32

U: 17

O: 14

Total: 87

Have a Lovely Day

B: 25 (I know backrow removal is common, but this essentially creates an impasse for both players in not being able to do much, except for direct attacks and burn. In Decks that can ED a lot and maintain 2 slots for them, basically makes it a stall war)

U: 15

C: 10

O: 13

Total: 68

Nobility

B: 34 (Having a card that can only be bounced with stuff like Trunade and other stuff [or you getting an Effect Monster out] isn't particularly a good idea, but the support is nice for Vanillas. Then the negation thing comes in, but you already explained it and yeah, it should be fine.)

Total: 93

Oriannis

B: 27 (not really keen on this having a twice-per-turn thing, especially with an effect like this that triggers on any summon. TBH, I can't really think of a situation where you'd use two, unless you somehow Pendulum 2 copies and stuff)

U: 17 (can be used for screwing LS or some other Decks that rely on the Graveyard OR restoring cards; oddly enough, I made a card that does similar things [albeit as an Xyz])

C: 14

O: 12

Total: 75

Silenth

B: 31

C: 15

O: 13

Total: 83

As usual, ask if you have questions about stuff.

I more/less graded them earlier on in the week, but didn't have time to post them until now, so...yeah, your scores on my end.

I assume Gadjiltron is doing his also (because I did get his request to judge; even if not immediately)

STANDARD SCORE

B: 40

C: 20

Total: 100

Nobility

B: 34 (Having a card that can only be bounced with stuff like Trunade and other stuff [or you getting an Effect Monster out] isn't particularly a good idea, but the support is nice for Vanillas. Then the negation thing comes in, but you already explained it and yeah, it should be fine.)

Total: 93

I was thinking that the whole immunity thing for it was too much. I think I am going to get rid of the destruction immunity. Thank you very much for your time!

And the results are in.

[spoiler Jinx_ - Xenith Jen]Clarity - 18
Function - 39
Creativity - 14
OCG - 9
Total - 80

Right off the bat, we see unequal scales, so despite no printed card doing that yet, I'll guess that it depends on which side it's set on. What worries me is that while it has a prohibitive Summon restriction to offset this flexibility, there's still the fact that it can instantly drop a LV6 or 7 monster on its own.

As for the monster effect, we'll start by asking where you can Summon it from. I'll assume it's from your hand, but still, it's a little important bit of information one cannot leave out as it will drastically affect how accessible it can be.

Dropping a 2800/2700 at the cost of a single Summon with no extra effort seems like a pretty decent deal, even if it means you need to give up a Pendulum Monster and it's effectively a vanilla you're putting down. And when it goes, it slips into an open Pendulum Zone to serve double duty while having altered scales.

The issue here is that while you can't Pendulum the turn you intentionally put it into a P-Zone this way, there's absolutely nothing preventing you from banishing this card straightaway and granting you access to a high-Level monster. 6/9 scales open up 7 and 8 which is where the great beaters reside. Such a silly combo within a single card often results in people not actually using this as a proper Pendulum and just exploiting its effect for profits. (Fun, on occasion, but mostly profit.)

Name anagrams linking to the card are somewhat of a stretch.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Judas]Clarity - 20
Function - 40
Creativity - 18
OCG - 10
Total - 88

This card immediately puts it at odds with Synchro Material - nay, it completely outclasses Synchro Material. The latter still needs you to have appropriate materials accessible, including the Tuner. This card is already a Tuner in itself, which reduces the amount of setup you need. Of course you need to offset it with a drawback - of losing some LP.

Losing some LP means little compared to losing the Battle Phase when it means opening up Synchro plays, especially using your opponent's resources. I also find it worrying that this has no hard-OPT clause, but then again, excessive use will bleed you dry, especially since the typical mass Synchro output often sums to around 4000 ATK at least.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Cirrus - Roiling Cloudover]Clarity - 20
Function - 40
Creativity - 19
OCG - 10
Total - 89

Hey, a "flicker" effect. We don't have a lot of these around (though considering the general negative card advantage this creates, there's probably a reason why).

Needing to flicker both your and your opponent's monsters kinda restricts the amount of benefits you can reap off this, and the times you can activate it for best results. Defensively, you can simultaneously dodge targeting removal while denying your opponent an attacker or Summon fodder for a turn. Offensively, you can put a used attacker aside to clear the path for the rest of your forces. And of course you can strip Xyz Monsters of their Materials and laugh at them when they come back naked, or abuse any on-banish effects.

It's a handy gimmick where you can keep finding increasingly creative ways to abuse it, but it tends to falter in situations where you don't have a monster to use this with and would prefer a more straightforward removal card. Never mind that trying to use this card as simple removal is inefficient since the opponent gets their monster back.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Tinkerer - Procrastinape]Clarity - 16
Function - 30
Creativity - 16
OCG - 10
Total - 72

Gonna have to penalize you a bit here because I don't see how this supposedly ties in with your username.

While this is interesting as it alters the flow of the Duel, you have to remember that you are the one immediately profiting off this should the ape last to the End Phase. You get both draws during the Draw and End Phases of the turn you Summon this card, while forcing the opponent to have to wait for new resources. And should they get rid of this card on their turn they get no draws for that turn, which will terribly hamper their tempo.

Good try with a mechanics-altering effect, but a little poorly executed.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Enguin]Clarity - 16
Function - 38
Creativity - 16
OCG - 8
Total - 78

I'm not certain how the card relates to your username. Simply stapling it on a decent card without much evidence in trying to link the two isn't quite in the spirit of the contest.

We have a weakling of a LV6 that wants to be Normal Summoned, but fortunately is quite resilient with protection from card effect destruction and takes 2 attacks before it goes down. But what's most potent of this card lies in its effect-copying ability. Absorb a Catastor and you basically have a juggernaut until your opponent finds a decent DARK monster. Absorb Beelze and you can quickly remedy this card's stats. Snap up the opponent's things for extra profits. There are certain things it can't use, like on-Summon effects or Material-related shenanigans, so it can't shamelessly clone anything.

Just a heads-up, the wording of this card means that its last effect is moot. Since it can't be destroyed by card effects, including your own, and including its own, the self-destruction sentence is automatically prevented.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Progenitor - C18]Clarity - 18
Function - 42
Creativity - 20
OCG - 10
Total - 90

As a player who has experimented with Heraldic RUM, this is actually pretty interesting to experiment with. Hardly do we see C-Numbers that have playability without needing to Rank-Up its original version (though considering the Deck, doing so is most efficient anyway).

After jumping through all the necessary hoops, we get a reduced Big Eye effect. You can still attack with it and its pretty large body, but at the End Phase you have to give up the controlled monster, and one of yours too, which means the effect would most often be used when pushing for game.

What I'm curious is whether that downside still triggers if the monster you seized control of has been used as fodder for anything else - I'm inclined to think it won't trigger, which can have serious implications when you inevitably use the monster to Summon your bigger things, as it would make C18 an improved Big Eye with the ability to regenerate its materials.

Wait, what? Oh, dear, it gets worse. It can put Plain Coat in the Graveyard over and over again, triggering all the mills you need in the world where necessary. I understand Heraldics aren't exactly significant in the metagame at the moment, but lending them this much fluidity is questionable.

Edit: Realized there's a Type-matching restriction on the main effect, which limits what it can steal and how often it can reuse Plain Coat, and thus not have it completely outclass Big Eye. This would bump up the Function score a bit.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Have a Lovely Day - The Lovely Day]Clarity - 18
Function - 22
Creativity - 16
OCG - 9
Total - 65

This means that you can't Tribute monsters for effects, Summons, or send then elsewhere for other costs? I'm not fond of this.

Yes, this is vulnerable to removal, but for cards on paper, test them as if they won't be answered for a few turns. Blocking out the players' abilities to touch each other makes games excessively long. Add on a few Extra Deck monsters that are difficult to remove and it makes this card much more frustrating.

Did I mention how it shuts down Extra-Deck-less Monarchs? Not cool.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Nobility - Fortitude of the Nobility]Clarity - 20
Function - 43

Creativity - 18
OCG - 10
Total - 91

Blanket immunity to stuff has a tendency to be looked down upon, but when it involves almost exclusively dedicating to Normal Monsters, it's somewhat forgiven. Even when you have the ability to negate offending S/Ts and blow more stuff up on top of that. See also First of the Dragons.

The hilarious part of this is that you can completely disarm this card by Summoning an Effect monster to their side of the field, like Lava Golem or Dustons, and watch your opponent glare back at you with a face that would say a mix of "seriously?" and "well played." At least this card can't do anything while it's on its own.

I'm also tempted to wonder what might happen if this card's protection effect also extended to non-Normal non-Effect monsters. Like the vanilla Synchros, Xyzs, Fusions, and Rituals. Food for thought if you try to develop the card in the near future.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Oriannis - The E-XStatic]Clarity - 19
Function - 37
Creativity - 20
OCG - 9
Total - 85

Gotta ask if the effect targets or not. It can be crucial at times where it threatens revival combos and affects how well they can respond to it.

The twice-per-turn limit feels kinda off, since this is an on-Summon trigger effect rather than a manual ignition effect. Perhaps you've found a way to loop this within a single turn that doesn't take up excessive resources, or are just taking pre-emptive measures.

Trying to balance flavour (what it represents) and function (what it actually does) isn't the easiest of tasks. Starting design from the flavour aspect in a contest like this is a good strategy, but I feel that you've faltered a little in function with a slightly underwhelming effect.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Silenth - Silent Wonderland]Clarity - 20
Function - 45
Creativity - 18
OCG - 10
Total - 93

I was about to mention how Effect would be the go-to Monster card type until I realized it's not on the list. Being able to do so, while keeping up a monster that stops the damage you'll be eating, turns this into an effectively searchable stall card that affects a ridiculously wide range of monsters. Good call on excluding that possibility.

Though I have a feeling that locking out attacks isn't quite enough in the game as it is. The monsters aren't completely silenced, as they can still use their effects, starting with blowing this card up. Then again, it pays off in being a mass bounce effect that's hard to counter and sets back almost anything coming from the Extra Deck. (Pendulums don't quite care and just re-Pendulum everything.)

Perhaps this is one of the few effective yet acceptable stall cards. It doesn't lock out too much of the game to make it too boring, yet isn't so ineffectual that it falls flat if answered immediately. Just be careful of the offensive uses of this card, namely purposefully destroying it yourself (usually with another Field Spell of your own) to get the mass bounce.

Edit: Realized it's a shuffle effect instead of bounce, but that difference doesn't heavily impact what this card does. Extra Deck monsters that aren't Pendulums don't distinguish between bounce or shuffle.[/spoiler]

Allow me to judge.

Clarity - 20% (Can I immediately understand how your card is intended to work without need for rulings?)

Function - 50% (How well does it work? Points will be deducted for being too strong or too weak.)

Creativity - 20% (Are you attempting something novel, or is it something that we're seeing too frequently?)

OCG - 10% (Any deductions would mean there's mistakes that would impact how the card's text is interpreted.)

Since I forgot to post this in main post; an idea for what Gadjiltron is grading you on.

Anyway, I'll leave this open for a couple days so you all can ask any questions and stuff regarding your marks; then I'll sum up everything and award prizes accordingly.

(I need to work on the award logo however; probably will use a new design [see the DP tournament])

Wait, what? Oh, dear, it gets worse. It can put Plain Coat in the Graveyard over and over again, triggering all the mills you need in the world where necessary. I understand Heraldics aren't exactly significant in the metagame at the moment, but lending them this much fluidity is questionable.

Well remember this Gaj, you can only detach from C18 if the monster detached has the same type as a monster your opponent controls, so unless you are facing the Mirror Match, Psychics, or you are playing some DNA Surgery build to purposely abuse this card, detaching Number 18 is not going to be easy / readily possible.

What I'm curious is whether that downside still triggers if the monster you seized control of has been used as fodder for anything else - I'm inclined to think it won't trigger, which can have serious implications when you inevitably use the monster to Summon your bigger things, as it would make C18 an improved Big Eye with the ability to regenerate its materials.

Well I'm not too up to par with my activation conditions, but I believe since it is an "and" clause, both conditions must be met, except one of them is counted for by an interjected "(if any)" clause.

Other than that I'm fairly happy with the score anyway.  The card is a bit situational except for maybe late game or, as stated, a DNA Surgery build to abuse it like Cyber Dragons abusing Fortress Dragon.

Archived