The "Earth Gods" Archtype! No extra Deck Needed! (X-post: Advanced multiples)

dephnaught

***UPDATED JAN 9TH***

This is a cross-post from the "Advanced Multiples" Section of the forum, as-per Moderator request.

Hey guys!

So this is my first post, and its going to be a bit of a doozy. I created an entire archetype with 20+ cards in it! 

Here's a some of my reasoning behind making the type of cards I did! I grew up playing Yugioh when I was around 10-11 I think, and as we all know there was no extra deck. Not that I have any problem with one, I just wanted to create something I felt could combat the meta (while not being ridiculously OP)using exclusively the cards in your deck! To go a step further, I thought it would be cool if the real meat&potatoes of the deck came from good old fashioned tribute summoning! I got some inspiration from the Monarch archetype,  and though I REALLY like those cards, I feel like they don't have strong enough support, nor a good enough built in engine to combat the current "throw hand at field, special summon all the things" meta at the moment. 

I tried to balance the cards as best I could, in the sense that some of the cards will make you go + quite a bit, and though they may seem crazily OP at first glance, I designed the deck to require lots of discarding to function properly. I also tried to make it so that, not all the cards I made might go into a particular deck, and that their are multiple ways you can create a tribute engine/play the deck/archetype! I think it would be really cool if you guys thought of cool ways to combo or deck build around them!

Anyway; without further a due, I present..

EDIT: I've decided to keep making new cards for the archtype! This post will be the official "Earth Gods" update page!

THE EARTH GODS!

hHD6qa7.jpgGnraQt1.jpg8On9Om0.jpg

ANTIOCH EFFECT:This card may only be tribute summoned by tributing a wind monster. When this card is tribute summoned, banish up to 2 spell/trap cards your opponent controls and if you do; you may banish one card in either players extra deck. If this cards effect begins a chain, you may activate it's effect again to add one "Sarsen, Firegod" or "Tsellar, Oceanking" from your deck to your hand (this effect resolves immediately). If this card banishes a trap card by its own effect, add one "Tribute to the Earth Gods" spell card from your deck to your hand.

SARSEN EFFECT:This card may only be tribute summoned by tributing a fire monster. When this card is tribute summoned, you may banish two monsters your opponent controls and if you do; you may banish one card in either players extra deck. If this cards effect begins a chain, you may activate it's effect again to add one "Antioch Windlord" or "Tsellar, Oceanking" from your deck to your hand (this effect resolves immediately). If this card is destroyed as a result of battle, you may add one "Tribute to the Earth Gods" spell card from your deck to your hand. Monsters cannot be summoned from the extra deck while this card is face-up on the field.

TSELLAR EFFECT:This card may only be tribute summoned by tributing a water monster. When this card is tribute summoned, you may send one random card from your opponents hand to the top of their deck and if you do; you may banish one card in either players extra deck. If this cards effect begins a chain, you may activate it's effect again to add one "Antioch Windlord" or "Sarsen, Firegod" from your deck to your hand (this effect resolves immediately). If this card is destroyed by a card effect, you may add one "Tribute to the Earth Gods" spell card from your deck to your hand.

THE EARTH-EST GOD[SUPER BOSS MONSTER]

0TmGVWQ.jpg

ARC ZENAS EFFECT:This card must be normal/tribute summoned by tributing 3 cards whose original names are; "Antioch, Windlord", "Sarsen, Firegod" and "Tellsar. Oceanking". This card can only be special summoned by the effect of "Skybreaker's Altar" and cannot be special summoned any other ways. If this face-up card was summoned by the effect of "Altar of the Earth Gods", it cannot be targeted by card effects. This card may attack all monsters your opponent controls. If this card attacks a defense position monster, it inflicts battle damage equal to that cards attack. If this card attacks a set monster, return that card to the hand.

CHUGGA CHOO-CHOO! [THE TRIBUTE ENGINE]

ETjL6Bw.jpg

PRIEST EFFECT:When this card is normal summoned, switch it to defense position and special summon any number of "Earth Gods" monsters from your hand in face up attack position. Once per turn you may special summon one "Earth Gods" monster from your hand. You cannot special summon from the extra deck while this card is face-up on the field.

Ud7GvBJ.jpg

PRIESTESS EFFECT:Discard one card to change the attribute of this card.This card cannot be normal summoned/set. You may special summon this card by banishing 1 "Earth God" Card from your graveyard. Once Per turn, you may add 1 "Earth God" monster from your graveyard to your hand. This card cannot be destroyed by battle. You cannot special summon from the extra deck while this card is face up on the field.

9dIDXJn.jpg

MAIDEN EFFECT:Discard one card to change the attribute of this card. If this card is used as a tribute for a tribute summon the same turn it is summoned, add one spell card from your graveyard to your hand.

FknLcIe.jpg

SERVANT EFFECTDiscard one card to change the attribute of this card. If this card was used as tribute for a tribute summon; shuffle it to into the deck.

pioHGJJ.jpg

BEAST EFFECTDiscard one card to change the attribute of this card. This card gains x100 ATK for every "Earth Gods" card in the graveyard. When this card is destroyed, special summon 1 "Beast of the Earth Gods" from your deck or graveyard to the field. It is destroyed during your next end phase

SPELL/SUPPORT CARDS!

lvV0RlA.jpg

EFFECT:Tribute summons cannot be negated. You may not summon from the extra deck while this card is face-up on the field. Twice per turn you may activate this card to preform an extra tribute summon in addition to a normal summon/set. This card cannot be destroyed twice per turn. Your opponent may also activate this card. If you preform two or more tribute summon's this turn, draw two cards. While this card is active if the player who controls it does not tribute summon pay 2000 life points.

FaAuosz.jpg

EFFECT:Select 3 "Earth Gods" cards in your deck, Reveal them to your opponent, add one to your hand, send the remainder to your graveyard. You may not activate spell/trap cards this turn.

kfE9KBv.jpg

EFFECT: Discard one card, add 2 level 4 or lower "Earth Gods" monsters from your deck to your hand.

UKDqsrW.jpg

EFFECTDiscard one card, add one "Divine God type monster from your graveyard to your hand. Your may not special summon the turn your activate this card. If this card is in your graveyard, during your end phase, shuffle it into your deck.

jOimnmj.jpg

EFFECTBanish 3 "Earth Gods" cards from your graveyard; Special summon 1 "Arc Zenas Skybreaker" from your hand; It cannot attack and is destroyed during the end phase. Skip your next draw phase.

9EQ2GCC.jpg

EFFECTIf you control a face up "Arc Zenas, Skybreaker", return it to your hand. If you do, special summon one "Antioch, Windlord", "Sarsen Firegod" and "Tsellar, Oceanking" each from your hand, deck or graveyard. They cannot attack, and are destroyed during your next End phase.

YOU TRIGGERED MY THESE![TRAPS]

qzjIcSH.jpg

EFFECTSpecial summon 3 "Convert of the Earth God" tokens to your opponents side of the field (DARK/LVL 4/ATK 1000/ DEF 3000) in defense position. Battle position of these tokens cannot be changed. You may discard one card to change the attribute of these tokens and if you do; you may tribute them as if you owned them. They cannot be used as synchro/xyz material. Your opponent gains life points equal to the number of "Convert of the Earth God" tokens they have on the field x500 each of their standby phases. If this card is destroyed, destroy those tokens. If no tokens remain that were generated by this cards effect, destroy this card.

KudH1mw.jpg

EFFECT:If your opponent activates a card effect that would destroy a card(s) you control(except this card), and you control a "Divine God" type monster; negate that effect and if you do, destroy that card. If this card is activated and its effect successfully resloves, you may set it again.

NEW CARDS! JAN 8TH

5uQ2bpM.jpg

SORCERESS EFFECT: Discard one card to change the attribute of this card. You may banish this card from your hand to target one "Earth Gods" spell or trap card in your deck, add it to your hand. If this card is used as tribute for the tribute summon of a "Divine God" monster, shuffle it into the deck.

Lzh0d0i.jpg

INQUISITOR EFFECT: Discard 1 card to change the attribute of this card. If this card is used as tribute for the tribute summon of an "Antioch, Windlord", "Sarsen, Firegod", or "Tsellar Oceanking", you may return it to your hand.

FvZv8It.jpg

EFFECTThis card is always treated as an "Earth Gods" card. While this card is face up on the field, tribute summons can be conducted by discarding the appropriate card(s) from the hand instead of from the field. If this face-up card is destroyed, target one "Altar of the Earth Gods" in your deck or graveyard; add it to your hand.

gOEVnrE.jpg

EFFECTThis card is always treated as an "Earth Gods" card. You may only equip this card to a face up "Arc Zenas, Skybreaker" you control. That card is unaffected by card effects. If it this card is sent from the field to the graveyard, shuffle it into your deck.

WF3BgrJ.jpg

EFFECT:You may only activate this card if you control a "Divine God" monster on your side of the field. If your opponent summons a monster, its effects are negated and you may activate this card; Tribute that monster, to summon a "Divine God" monster from your hand. If you do destroy all other monsters your opponent controls

NEW CARDS! JAN 9TH

TCRbJTc.jpg

TOMB EFFECT: Discard one card to change the attribute of this card. Once per turn you may discard one spell or trap card to target up to 2 "Earth Gods" monsters in your graveyard. Shuffle them back into your deck. If this card is in your graveyard during your end phase, special summon it in defense position.

AuCwjDn.jpg

EFFECT: If you control a face up "Earth Gods" monster, tribute it, and if you do, banish one card on the field.

izmEHyP.jpg

EFFECT: Banish 1 "Divine God" type monster from your hand. Shuffle up to 5 "Earth Gods" cards from your graveyard into your deck.

STRATEGIC HYPOCRACY SECTION:

So, after thinking about it a little bit, I figured that in a practical sense, this deck still needs to have a 15 pile in the extra deck zone. The reason is because although this deck makes it very difficult for you to summon from that zone, it still isn't impossible, and if this deck were ever to be played competitively (yeah, yeah, I know, but I'm going for realism here xD) having an extra deck, or more importantly at least the illusion thereof is a strategic choice. Since I wanted to make it so this deck has multiple ways to play, and meaningful choices players could make to adjust the deck to fit their play style, I decided to drop a fusion monster in the archetype. Granted hes a bit different, since he cant be summoned from the extra deck, but hey.. c'est la'vie! Check it out:

t9kQe85.jpg

SOUL EFFECT: This card can only be summoned from your banished pile. This card cannot be destroyed by battle or be targeted by card effects. Banish from your side of the field, 3 cards whose original names are "Antioch, Windlord", "Sarsen, Firegod" and "Tsellar, Oceanking" to special summon this card. When this card is summoned, summon 3 tokens (DIVINE/LVL6/ATK 0/DEF 0) in defense position, who's original names become the same as the monsters you banished to summon this card. These tokens are immune to your opponents card effects and cannot be destroyed by battle. When those tokens leave the field, destroy this card. If this card is successfully summoned, add one "Arc Zenas, Skybreaker" and "Seal of Arc Zenas" each to your hand. Once per turn, you can target one card on the field, banish it.

*****BALANCE UPDATE 1 [JAN9]*****

Hey guys. So I went ahead and printed these cards (awsome right?) and I was dueling them versus a couple of my friends, and I decided upon a few updates. Most of the decks I was dueling against were custom, pretty non-meta decks and as I assumed, the Earth Gods were absolutely crushing them, I think out of maybe the 30-40 duels we played vs. these decks, I probably lost maybe 8-9. With that said, I then dueled a couple friends who were running meta-ish, decks and found that the win rate changed for the better (more balanced), but there were still some changes I felt really needed to be made.

1) The first is regarding what I had assumed would be a really really essential card in this deck, and that is Altar of the Earth Gods . After playing a bunch of duels with the deck, I found myself siding the card out more and more until I was only running one, and even then, not playing it. When I designed it, I had in mind that when this card is played the duelist is going for the kill, which is why it has such beastly draw effects, self/summon protection, and a MASSIVE penalty should the player not use it correctly [i.e. 4000 life points per turn... over-extend twice with this card on the field, GG]. Whats even worse is that since I made the deck with the intention of players (and myself) running other cards that arent specific to this archtype (Mst/vanitys/BTH etc.) I found that this card almost guaranteed a loss even IF I had ways to get rid of it and avoid the negative effect, because I designed it so that when you play it, its REALLY hard to back out [.."cant be destroyed twice per turn."..].  Needless to say, I feel like the drawbacks of losing lifepoints balances out the +'s and protection it provides, but since I DID NOT specifically add deck searching tools for the Divine God monsters, other then their own effects (intentional), using the effect on that card became really hard and rare and seemed quite RNG (..derp, I hope I draw a divine-god, derp..) which is never favorable. There are a few more reasons that the card isn't working IMO, and since I find it to be so essential to the deck, I'm simply going to lower the penalty on it, and start there. The effect will still be hard to properly make use of, just by way of how the deck works (pretty much because you have to discard so often, and so many of the cards return to the deck in the end phase, making your grave quite shallow) but if you have the strategy and to pull it off, it will still provide the intended advantages. I felt i needed to address this card specifically because if your playing this deck to be mass tribute deck (which is how i'm playing it ATM, which by the way it doesn't always have to played in this manner :D ), it really becomes a burden, and I found I wasn't even using it/siding it out, and thats the OPPOSITE of how I wanted it to work for the mass-tribute style. AAANYWAYY, I'm done ranting, (what a paragraph for such a small change right?) changes are up!

2) Maiden of the Earth Gods. Her effect is great, but she has to be tributed the same turn she is NORMAL summoned to make use of it. That's all fine and dandy, but since Altar of the Earth Gods wasnt as usefull as it needed to be, her effect was almost impossible to make work, and made you actually go quite negative (because you have to discard to changer her attribute, which is needed to summon any of the Gods). I found that I wanted to use Priest of the Earth Gods to special summon her from hand quite a bit, but since she needed to be normal summoned, I felt like she became essentially a meat shield, which wasn't my intent (that job goes to Beast of the Earth Gods xD). I'm simply going to change her effect to when she is summoned (be it special or normal) and tributed in the same turn, she will get her effect, which should work well with the changes to Altar, and allow her to combo effectively. 

3) Priestess of the Earth Gods. I found her to be too slow. She would just kind of sit on the field, special summon, and... yeah... Since the deck is only designed to protect the actual Gods, I found her presence kind of negligible, as she would just get exploded by card effect a lot and not be worth much after a turn or two on the field. Now honestly, the latter of that sentence is actually fine by me, since she cant be destroyed by battle, she needs a weakness, but I had her on the field a quite often, with no way to use her because of the "shuffle into deck" mechanic I put into the deck for balance and renew-ability and my hesitation to play Altar of the Earth Gods. Simply put, I'm going to give her the ability to change her attribute in the same way most monsters have it in the deck, by discard. I feel that will keep her usefull and should not let her go too loco with the new altar effect.

4) Temple of the Earth Gods. 2stronk, nerf pls. Will now require discard.

5) Altar of Arc Zenas. I found this card, in combination with The coming of Arc to be a little too strong. Basically if you have those two cards, you get a free Arc Zenas on the field. He can be defeated, so its not GG, i just felt it was a wee bit to easy. I was running 3-3 of this combo and its easy to search. This allows players to just run one Arc Zenas and combo indefinately. Basically I'm going to make it so that you can only summon Arc from your hand. This puts the onus on players to maybe run more then one copy, and if it doesnt work, oh well. Shouldn't have over extended with out a condom. 

Anyway, these are a few balance changes, Tell me what you think! Good, bad, ugly, whatever! Again, always looking for some oppinions/feedback! The changes should go up into the actual cards later today.

Thanks guys!

Im really really interested in seeing what you guys think! Do you think the deck is OP? Do you think its kind of crappy? What are its strenghts? Weaknesses? How would you play it? How would you play against it? Let me know  :D ! Enjoy!

Seems like an Interesting bunch of cards, I'ma watch this and see the improvements, so far as i see it's quite balanced if you read ALL the cards and think of how to use them together, keep up the good work

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the feedback! I'll definately be doing a few small changes to the cards already up and adding atleast one or two in the next day or so. I actually printed them out and mock dueled my friend whos running E.dragons and i found the deck to be pretty much right in the zone i wanted (I'm seeing about an 80% win rate vs his deck and playstyle, which is good considering that e.dragons arent totally meta right now) meaning not too OP but strong if played well. Ill post a big rant and update about it soon!

Thanks again man!

oh! goody! the first changes! well lets, see

ok, first we'll start with [Altar of the Earth Gods]

that seems like a great way to be able to have more than 1 monster summoned in 1 turn,

and the penalty for not tribute summoning is very harsh, though it seems appropriate,

however only having it at Tribute Summoning is a massive way to for yourself to slip on a

banana peel and impale your head, adding 1 more way to not killing yourself, say like

Synchro Summoning, would balance out the 2000 life point penalty, since you said you

wanted this Deck to work with cards that aren't from this Deck adding another way to not

screw up would lessen the chance of a death sentence, but still keep the pressure on the person.

next, [Maiden of the Earth Gods]

making her a bit more powerful, or useful was a good idea, with no attack

she was essentially just there to either waste your cards or just take up a

slot, now she has some use.

[Priestess of the Earth gods]

she sits on the field and lets you get your dead monsters back, that's fine

but the problem she has is that she stops you from getting any cards from

the extra Deck, now if you were to only use the cards from this deck, that

would be fine, but if you were to use these cards in another deck that

might stop your progression, overall it depends on whether the user

is using them with another deck, but i suggest you might make something

like an equip spell/trap, that negates that deck block and maybe adds a

different kind of block, say for example, that you can't summon monsters

below level 4 or something like that.

[Temple of the Earth Gods]

nothing to say here, nerf is good, card is fine

[Arc Zenas, Skybreaker]

adding a nerf onto Imperius(Diablo players will know) was a good idea, he was more powerful than my [Red-Eyes Dark God]

and by far he still is, though now he becomes much harder to summon which gives your opponent either time to

prepare for Skybreaker, or time to defeat you before he gets called out, he could use a bit more of a nerf on that

thing where if he attacks a Defence Position Monster it's attack attacks the owner, because even if he loses, if the 

opponent has a monster in defence with, say 6000DEF and 4000ATK, that's instant death for the opponent.

oh! goody! the first changes! well lets, see

ok, first we'll start with [Altar of the Earth Gods]

that seems like a great way to be able to have more than 1 monster summoned in 1 turn,

and the penalty for not tribute summoning is very harsh, though it seems appropriate,

however only having it at Tribute Summoning is a massive way to for yourself to slip on a

banana peel and impale your head, adding 1 more way to not killing yourself, say like

Synchro Summoning, would balance out the 2000 life point penalty, since you said you

wanted this Deck to work with cards that aren't from this Deck adding another way to not

screw up would lessen the chance of a death sentence, but still keep the pressure on the person.

next, [Maiden of the Earth Gods]

making her a bit more powerful, or useful was a good idea, with no attack

she was essentially just there to either waste your cards or just take up a

slot, now she has some use.

[Priestess of the Earth gods]

she sits on the field and lets you get your dead monsters back, that's fine

but the problem she has is that she stops you from getting any cards from

the extra Deck, now if you were to only use the cards from this deck, that

would be fine, but if you were to use these cards in another deck that

might stop your progression, overall it depends on whether the user

is using them with another deck, but i suggest you might make something

like an equip spell/trap, that negates that deck block and maybe adds a

different kind of block, say for example, that you can't summon monsters

below level 4 or something like that.

[Temple of the Earth Gods]

nothing to say here, nerf is good, card is fine

[Arc Zenas, Skybreaker]

adding a nerf onto Imperius(Diablo players will know) was a good idea, he was more powerful than my [Red-Eyes Dark God]

and by far he still is, though now he becomes much harder to summon which gives your opponent either time to

prepare for Skybreaker, or time to defeat you before he gets called out, he could use a bit more of a nerf on that

thing where if he attacks a Defence Position Monster it's attack attacks the owner, because even if he loses, if the 

opponent has a monster in defence with, say 6000DEF and 4000ATK, that's instant death for the opponent.

Hey man! Thanks for taking a look at the cards/updates!

You have a lot of good points, and I'll definately be looking into more than a few of them.

In the meantime, here are some of my reasons for having them where they are

First: Alter of the Earth Gods. I'm glad for the most part you find the card pretty balanced, so to touch on a few of your points: The penalty, I feel is a pretty good drawback to the card since it provides so much, obviously. As far as removing the restrictions on the extra deck, I feel like that would kind of defeat the purpose of this deck, and in all honestly, put the card way over the top. As you put, the card is kind of a banana peel waiting to get slipped on, and for the most part I agree, but that's how I intended it to be. As I wrote in the card, If you are able to successfully activate its effect and make use of that extra tribute summon the card can provide (up to two extra, If used really well), it actually gives you a +2 hand advantage in that it allows you to simply draw two cards. In my opinion of the player of the deck is astute enough to be able to use the card well, there really is no need to xyz/synchro/fusion summon because all the power they need comes from the deck itself. This card really encapsulates the way the deck is suppose to operate. Very anti-meta, and viable against all types of extra deck usage.

Maiden of the Earth Gods: Yep, she was feeling pretty lackluster without being able to tribute summon her the same turn she is NORMAL summoned, which would of course require something like "Double Summon", or as I had in mind "Alter of the Earth Gods" even though her effect is absolutely fantastic (spell retrieval). Actually playing the deck, allowed me to see how hard this card would be to use as it was, because it required so many different things (Double summon mechanic, discard to change attribute, Tribute summonable monsterin hand) and just made me go minus so much that I was hesitant to even side her in. So thanks for seeing that!

Priestess: Again, in this case, the extra deck block was intended because of how I want the overall archetype to function in-game. The Earth God Monsters in particular, I designed to really only work with this archetype/deck style, because some of their effects are very powerful and could be ripe for abuse with card combinations I'm probably un-aware of. 

Temple: Haha, yep that card was just making me go way too plus, in combination with a few others, and I found myself continuously searching almost exclusively for that card. Too stronk, needed drawback.

Arc Zenas, Skybreaker: Well, I actually didn't DIRECTLY nerf Arc Zenas. What I did was nerf "Skybreakers' Altar". That's the magic card that allows you to special summon him from the grave, but he can't attack and is destroyed during the endphase. Basically it had two functions: First it was a quickplay, meaning you could use it to Meat-Shield if you have Arc Zenas, in your grave, but thats not the play I was focused on with the nerf. What I was looking at was the easy in which I was able to combo "Skybreakers' altar" and "The coming of Arc". In a few short words, this combo basically amounts too: banish 3 Earth Gods, special summon Arc Zenas.. And with the ease of spell/deck searching that I embedded into the archetype, this combo was too powerful, too quickly. Like you said, Arc Zenas is one badass mofo, and thus should require a significant investment. What I ended up settling on was, in order to combo the cards properly, Arc has to be in your hand. I played it out , and I felt like that solved the problem pretty well. Not to mention before, the 3 Six star gods would only go the graveyard after this specific combo, which then provided the "add one "Tribute to the Earth Gods" card from your deck to your hand", which then allowed you to add one of them back to your hand, and it just got a little too over the top. Long story short, since I tend to ramble, I basically made this combo slightly harder to pull off, and made it so it requires more strategic choice in the way you put your deck together as a whole. Like I said, I want there to be multiple ways to play the deck, not just the mass-tribute style. 

So there are my thoughts! Thanks again for letting me know what you think! For some reason this thread isnt getting any attention so I really appreciate that someone bothered to check out all the work I did on these card!

Archived