Aftermath of the End by Jake Edwards

chaoticjexak

I'm writing a story which is based in a postapocalypic world. there a a lot of religion involved and the basis of the story so far is… ill just post a snippet of it.. btw i post short story chapters so please don't have a go at me

Aftermath of the end.

A short story by jake Edwards.

Prologue

The bible proclaimed that after the apocalypse, there will be hell on earth. And how right it was, if not for the visual imagery it provided. If anything, the truth is far worse. The world as we know it lies in dusty ruins, lettered with rubble and broken lives. Whether people ascended beforehand or not is a mystery to the survivors, who had to continue living as only they knew how. Society soon crumbled and nomadic tribes formed. But then, those too descended into war and chaos.

Now only a select few humans are left on the surface.  A small division calling themselves ‘paladins of the wastes’ banded together in search of ancient legend that talks of a vast underground laboratory containing enough humans to repopulate the country. The intrepid adventurers made camp in the ruins of what was once New York city, with primitive weapons, and mutants and demons at every turn.

An enemy of both technological and magic, the ‘new gods’, also wants them eliminated, and to find the last of humanity and extinguish it for good. The ‘new gods’ believe they are the future. With opposition at all sides, is there hope for humanity yet? Only time will tell……….

Chapter one:

A middle aged man dressed in a ragged brown robe runs from broken rooftop to broken rooftop, clearly distressed by something unseen chasing him. An invisible foe. The man has no weapons, no hope but to run. But then, he was born running. Thus those around him named him Blade, for his flight is swift and his words sharp. He was a fighter with his fists, but such a technique would not be effective against something you cannot see. Those in the taverns had spoke of these phantoms, only visible through special goggles. Blade continued to blitz over the ruins, skidding to a halt suddenly. End of the line. 

He turned defiantly, raising his fists. He knew his actions would be in vain, but he might as well die trying. He swung a flurry of blows, not feeling a single one connect. He was just wasting his energy. He tried to run past- but was hit back to the edge. Perhaps melee attacks couldn’t even harm it…. He realised he could just about make out a shimmered outline if he looked close enough. He uttered a silent prayer.  A sword quickly shot through the shimmer- tinted blue and glowing. A horrifying screech filled the air, and the shimmer faded. Before him stood a young maiden with dirtied blond hair tied into two ponytails at the back, her eyes awash with the same blue as was anointed on her sword. Blades first thought was how she could see the phantom without the goggles he had heard about.

The young woman returned her blade to its scabberd.  Chuckling. “psychicae warriors don’t need the lenses of revealing.” She smirked. Blade was taken aback.

“you just read my..mind?” he asked with a look of awe. She nodded bluntly and held out her hand. He gladly took it, and found it oddly smooth.

“ pshychicae are also trained from birth to resist the elements, and locally manipulate them.” She informed him, sensing his confusion at her lack of sandstorm protection.

Blade brushed himself off and massaged his forehead. “ so.. what the hell was-“ he began to ask, but she cut him off by saying “phantoms are servants of the New Gods” she explained. “ the new gods are a mysterious race of powerful demon-robot hybrids that once inhabited the realm of Mêchanê Infernus. They were condemned to that realm when the world was young. Seers believe it was during the time of a great wizard expelled demons trapped insane a maddened man that had been removed from society in a holy land.”

Blade sighed and began to walk, the stranger following. “ that dosent explain much.. and would you kindly quit with the mind reading?” he added with a light smirk. The stranger nodded more politely this time. “Duly noted. Not much else is known about the new gods, not even the seers can break into their minds. All we know is, they are incredibly powerful, of demonic-technology infused origin, gained their power while they were imprisoned- and want to destroy life as we know it.” She said solemnly.

Blade chuckled” destroy all life? They don't have to do a lot then!” he joked, then quickly shut up as the stranger gave him a stern look.

“we are not alone Blade. There are others, and a way to return humanity to its former glory. This is the dawn of mankind 2.0. a new world, better than the first; where we learn from our past mistakes,and use our new powers for good, not war.” She sighed. “ but you wont understand. Not until you see the light. Come, we shall away to safety; for it is likely that phantom was merely a scout.”

She turned and leapt off the building, landing softly on her feet. Blade just stood there, knowing such a fall would break many bones. The stranger held out her hand again. He leapt , and caught the hand, feeling himself float softly to the sandy floor.

“ I have no name, but you may call me Project Spero.” She said, with a light smile. Blade was mesmerized by her beauty and fragility, knowing that underneath was the soul of a warrior. He walked away from the charred remains of the ancient town, knowing what he was searching for must still be buried within. He glanced back, vowing to someday return.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

heres chapter 2 now!

Chapter two: Caelum Ruinosus (sky falling down-latin)

It wasn't long before Blade and Spero arrived at an ornate temple made of hardened sand and masterfully chiselled. Inscribed on it’s awning was the title ‘Atruim autem Angeli’. Blade didn’t know what that meant, but Spero clearly did, and held the name with high respect.

“It means Hall of Angels. We use the ancient language called latin. It derives from further back then we can tell. The most recent texts date as far back as 2001….” Spero informed. Blade sighed. “ you said you wouldn't read my mind.” He laughed. Spero chuckled with him as they entered. Spero grew more worried the deeper into the atrium they walked. Blade finally plucked up the courage to ask “so what’s going on? All this laten, angels and demons?” he asked. Spero shrugged.

“ only the Dominos Know the truth, but they have slumbered since the beginning of this infernus. They give out orders through our visions, and never explain why.” her voice was shaky. They soon entered the heart of the hall, other humans on either sides, eyeing Blade with a look of amazement. They all stood at once and cheered, their awe not aimed at them, but at the spectral figure materialising in the throne at the opposite side of the chamber. Spero swallowed with a barely restrained fear.

“Domino Alphus… but he has not made an appearance in years….. he only arrives in times of great peril or importance.” She held Blade’s hand tight and forced them to walk forward, bowing as low as she could at his feet. Blade stood dumbfounded for a moment before copying her.

“ Spero, who is this barbarus you bring to the atrium?” Alphus asked with a powerful husky tone.

Spero just cried, Blade looking at her with concern. He faced the spectral figure. “I know nothing of what is going on ‘Domino Alphus’, but if it will make the world safe, I will do whatever I can to help.” Blade said challengingly. Alphus glared back.

“the world will never be truly safe. But for a Vagus, you certainly show nobility and spirit. Perhaps you are..” he trailed off. “No. if you want to aid the Paladins of the wastes, you must first take a test of virtue. In the chest behind my throne lies a sword similar to Spero’s, along with the ritual armour and the sacrum Pistol. Your test will begin soon, and Spero? You are to aid him.” Alphus ordered matter-of-factually- fading away.

“Wait?!” Spero explained. “Domino, how do we know what to do?”  The response was writing lest behind on the throne; Venit (it comes). Spero rushed to the chest and threw items at Blade, who hurriedly readied himself, flustered and still without the answers he wanted. Spero kept panicking, talking indiscernibly. Blade took ahold of her shoulders and shook her

“Calm down! What the hell is going on?” he asked, trying to retain his composure.

“A god is coming!” Spero blurted, and everyone in the room ducked under the tables. Blade’s heart sunk. One of the New gods? How in the world was he expected to fight such a being?

“Alphus must have lead him here on purpose… but why? you can possibly be good enough  to take one out! I cant even fight a Centurion, let alone you. No offence of course..” she took a few deep breaths. Blade practiced a few swings with the sword and a few blasts from the strange arcane pistol. It didn't need to be reloaded and fired rounds of pure holy energy it seemed.

Before long, the sand atrium shook with a magnitude exceeding logical proportion, causing the sand bricks to break back into the grains they were formed from.

Blade grabbed ahold of Sphero and rushed her to the surface. They scanned the horizon. Blade assumed the new gods were also invisible. A giant pipe like worm erupting from the ground soon proved him wrong.

The beast was colossal, a least a mile long- pipes and shrapnel poking out from tons of each of it’s segments. The metal was of each segment was a shining bronze, purple connective tissue showing between each segment. The demons eyes were like glass with deepest black behind. He readied the sword, which he found required two hands. Spero pushed him back

“Are you insane?!” she shrieked. “ We can’t fight this monstrosity!” she said scolding. Blade shook his head. “ Well, I doubt we can run either. So that leaves two options. Die trying or succeed.” He sprinted back forward, spero chasing, but clearly unable to keep up. He took this to his advantage and headed on a collision course with the beast.

“Why do you wish to fight me?’ a voice rasped in his mind. “you have no part  in this war, yet you blindly follow? What If I am the hero here and they are lying to you? Wishing to use you?” it taunted. “ I suppose it makes sense, humans will always follow-and that is why they fail.” It continued. Blade didn't slow his charge, the taunts only strengthening his resolve.

“ Very well Blade.. it seems there is no convincing you. When you die, can you at least have the courtesy to call me by my true name? For I am Superbia, and I love it when my enemies name me with their last breath. It makes it that much more fulfilling.” The god jeered, burrowing into the ground.

“so what if you are supposedly godlike?!” Blade roared into the air. “If you eliminate mankind- then whom will you rule?” he retorted.

“The answer is simple human- everything else.” The sand around him shook and fell inward, sucked into the worm-beasts jaw. Blade managed to jump onto it’s giant fang- seeing below him a voracious grinding machine. The worm tried to shake him off, but blade held onto its purple skin for dear life.

They were hurtling toward the ground at breakneck pace, when blade leapt away and slid down the worms metallic body, avoiding jabs from its multiple spines, finally landing into a roll. He knew to keep moving.. heading away from the atrium. He could somehow feel the presence of the god beneath him, deftly dodging a second attempt to eat him.

“hmph, so you can run around like a headless chicken. Very well done.” Superbia taunted again, this time stopping and looking him right in the eye. Blade held his position, but he was abruptly hit with abeam of darkness from the worms eyes. He couldn’t have avoided it even if he wanted to. He slumped to the floor. Spero froze up with fear- she felt his energy fade, but she couldn't move to save him. ‘what kind of paladin am I?’ she mused self-mockingly.

Archived