YCM Monthly Tournament Information/Discussion Thread << UPDATED: 8/2/2016 >>

Flash Flyer - Sakura

This will be the discussion/information thread; tournaments will be posted separately and marked with the month/year they correspond to.

Background

The YCM Monthly series is a monthly tournament that one of the CC moderators (usually me) will host every month, in order to boost the activity in this section and get more of you interested in contests. 

You are NOT required to compete in all of the monthly contests, nor will you denied entry, should you have missed some in the past. In essence, if you can create a card that matches the monthly theme, then test yourself. 

Theme

Each theme will be different, depending on the time of year it is.
Some of it may be seasonal; others might not be (and usually are general things).

Some of them will be very simple and left to your imagination; others may require a bit more thought put into them.
As a whole, the themes should not be difficult to design a card on.

You will only need to design 1 card; generally speaking, the standard is usually a single card for submission.

Deadline

On an average basis, you will be allowed 1.5 to 2 weeks from the posting of the tournament thread to submit an entry; leaving a week or two for the judges to grade; and for awards to be prepared + presented in a timely manner. 

I will be using Hawaiʻi Standard Time (UTC -10:00), because we do not observe daylight savings time; and thus can be used as a standard cutoff.

Use this converter if you need help changing your time to mine: 
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

I advise submitting an entry by deadline in your own timezone as to avoid confusion, unless you live in American Samoa, or another place between the dateline and Hawaiʻi (but I will assume the majority of you live in a higher zone than I do, so this should not be a problem).

(Also note that if one of my colleagues hosts the CC monthly, they will use their own timezones. Use the link provided to convert your timezone with theirs)

Entry Fee

None, you just need to state your interest + provide an entry card by the deadline. 

Rules

1. Standard YCM and Custom Cards rules apply in this section. Please remember to abide/follow them in this contest. 

2. Written Cards will be accepted, however if you opt to do this; do not use the cardmaker to generate a picture-less image. Just type it out in text format. 

3. When posting a card, make sure that you have its lore posted beneath, so it is easier for the judges to read your effect. It will also make it easier to post OCG fixes if there are mistakes. Also make sure that you post it properly using the cardmaker. 

4. You are allowed to make edits to your card until the deadline, HOWEVER you should have already designed the card as a final product. 

5. The usage of Fake Types / Attributes, as well as DIVINE, Divine-Beast and Creator God is expressly forbidden.
You are expected to design a card that adheres to the current standards set by Konami (usage of the existing 23 legal Types + 6 Attributes)

6. Cards are graded on the Advanced standard, however the metagame will not be a heavy factor in grading. The idea is that you design something that's properly designed and can fulfill its intended task in line with general standards.

7. Design intent may be posted, but we may choose to not read it until after judging. As such, you may wish to abstain from it. (I won't dock points if you do, but my colleagues may). 

Prizing

1st - 4000 points + 3 reps + access to a custom member group (privileges pending) for a month.
2nd - 3000 points + 2 reps
3rd - 2000 points + 1 rep
4th - 1000 points

Additional prizes, such as award images (like those given in the SCS tournaments) may be given. Keep in mind that the above is subject to change, depending on participant turnout and overall quality of said entries, among other factors.

Participants

There won't be a set maximum because we'd like to let everyone participate.

Judging

Generally, up to 2 members may be requested for their assistance in helping with judging. It goes without saying that you should know what you are doing if you volunteer to help out.

Sometimes, only one member will be needed or we opt to judge the thing on our own; which is the case shall be noted on the main post.

Scoring

You will be graded on a 100-point scale using the following criteria. (It converts nicely into percentages)

Note that the following is what I will be using to grade you; if Gadjiltron or any CC moderator hosts this, they will likely use a different scale.

Ideally, all judges should use this rubric, as it makes things easier to compare when it's time to judge. However, if you need to use another scale, 
let me know ahead of time.

SAKURA

BALANCE/USABILITY (60)

If this were ever released in real life, would it break the game in half or would it be fine as-is? Or conversely, is this card underpowered and needs a push in power to be up to standard? Do we have a reason to run this over another card that does something similar? Does the card actually work the way it's intended to. 

CREATIVITY/FLAVOR (25)

• Did you make an original effect or ripped off an existing card's effects? Or really, how did you present your card to us?
  • Does your card make sense for what it's doing? If this is an Archetypal thing, does it generally fit into their backstory or playstyle? If it relies on sports or other real life things, does it really fit in. [There is some room for improvisation, and I won't penalize you for trying new things out.] 

OCG (15)

There are three components to your OCG grade, each of them worth 5 points each.

1. GENERAL: Are you adhering to general writing conventions in standard English? Did you spell-check your work before submitting?

2. COMPREHENSION: Do I understand what your effect is trying to say? If I don't understand your card (or otherwise have to bring up a ruling query), then chances are that you will get hit in the other area.

3. OCG: Are you using correct card grammar in line with how Konami writes official cards? There may be some wording differences between cards of the same generation, so I won't deduct points if this is the case. I will deduct points if you are using wording that doesn't exist in official cards.

-----
It is highly recommended that you attempt to write in PSCT, as it solves ruling issues that existed in earlier styles. However, I will accept late 5Ds era writing without docking off points. Please do not use anything before that, because the wording there is much more vague.

Hybrid PSCT (as in using the OCG numbering for effects) is perfectly acceptable.

[divider1]

Well, I think that about covers everything. 
If you have any questions & concerns, please do not hesitate to say them.

Sakura, if I may say, please don't put that much emphasis on Card Grammar in the judging rubric.

It's far less important than the other rubrics, and really, aside from tidying the card's look and at times, clearing how the card should function, it doesn't do much aside from making the card look more 'proper'.

I'll give it 5 maximum, and put the remaining 15 to the other rubrics.

As noted, the grammar one is basically whether or not we understand what your intent was in writing the effect, and for standard grammatical things in English. 

Basically don't capitalize the first letter of every word, remember to add periods when you're supposed to, check if the sentences make grammatical sense in regular writing and so forth. Do this, in addition to making sure we understand your intent on the effect; you shouldn't get hit hard in that area.

I removed the OCG part of it, because a lot of new members have problems writing it; even if we refer them to Zazu's guide multiple times. 

-----

However, it can be reduced to 10-15, and the lost points can be moved elsewhere.  

10 or 15 is still too much, personally.

The rubric should be something around (in order of importance):

-Balance (obviously the most important. Self-explanatory, but should also includes balance in interactions)

-Usability and Relevancy (Even seeing this as an art, cards are meant to be -played-. Hence why this is also really important. Would the card be used? Its intended function, will it perform it well? Could it perform well in practice? That's the questions that surrounds this rubric. Note that this doesn't have to mean -competitively-)

-Creativity (Stratos number 9001 is not really something creative. Innovating while actually keeping the card being usable is something important.

-Flavor (As a sign of this being art, if each element of the cards follows a flavor, and not arbitrarily slapped into the card, this signifies that one actually put some serious effort in making the card)

-Grammar (exactly like PSCT demanded it shouldn't be too much enforced, but following it is definitely better. Otherwise, just subtract a lot of points for this if the card worked oddly due to bad wording/the card was barely readable.)

Also, note that card grammar changes often, addition of new keywords happened on occassion, etc. Going with PSCT is nice, but it shouldn't be put into that much importance unless the card actually changes in how it worked due to the flawed grammar.

Though, personally, these days I prefer a flexible rubric, or at least, something that follows the theme of the contest.

Scoring high in every single one of the rubrics above are actually quite hard, and the cardmakers should've given credit if they nailed an important rubric perfectly.

A perfectly creative and flavorful card might not be too usable or balanced, but hey, the maker should've given credit for the deep thought put into the card.

Also keep in mind Written Cards are allowed also, but indeed random pictures on the cards deserved to be penalized if they make no sense. 

Basically inverted the old Theme / OCG grades with each other. 

10% of the grade is still comprehension-based, along with standard grammatical issues.

Need to address this, because it is annoying when people capitalize the first letter of every word for no apparent reason. 

From previous contests, there have been some members who didn't spellcheck their work, and I had to deduct points for it.

Some had minor cases; others were more major.

In terms of PSCT, I haven't been marking off too many points for this, because Konami adds new wording every couple sets (and I do wish they just set it up earlier, and not end up adding more crap later on that we have to remember). 

Bulk of it is essentially balance/interaction, along with design/creativity. Is this something a particular Deck actually needs, or is it just overkill for them?

Design is a superfluous term when it comes to scoring rubric.If it's used, it's either overlapping too much with others, or too encompassing.

It encompasses Balance, creativity, and flavor at once, pretty much. Inherently flawed design is a balance issue, etc.

typos and wrong capitalization shouldn't be -too- penalized. That's the thing. It's not an academic paper, and it's humane to make some capitalization error and typos. If there's too much, as I've said on my previous post, then it does become a problem.

I looked over the rubric, and it added up to 105 points (forgot I moved 5 points into the creativity)

So yeah, looks like you got your 5 points for grammar and stuff; and again basically on spelling and other grammatical structures in English.

Still, it shouldn't be hard to spellcheck your work before submitting.

---

I should have tournament 1 up later today.

• 1 month later...

Just as a reminder for anyone interested in entering future CC Monthly tournaments, make sure that you check what time in your area correlates to the deadline mentioned in the tournament threads.

As noted before, Nai and I alternate roles in this; and we use our respective timezones for cutoffs.

I will use Hawaiʻi Standard, which is GMT -10:00. I assume most, if not all of you, live to the right of my timezone; so you don't have much worry in turning things in.

Although, I do recommend getting it in by the deadline time in your specific area; as to avoid confusion. (Keep in mind that my area DOES NOT observe daylight savings time)

HOWEVER, keep in mind that Nai uses Indonesia time [GMT +7:00], which may cut your submission time down quite a bit; assuming the majority of you live to the west of him (zone-wise).

I have provided a link to convert your timezone to whatever is listed on the OP in here; but above all; check.

I'll provide a timezone thing in any of the tournaments I host, but the same cannot be said for Nai.

In any case, just check.

Archived